• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
via: IGN
The Disney film's hit song, "Let It Go," became an LGBTQ anthem, and fans who interpreted the song's themes about embracing who you are inside as exploring a coming out story have been petitioning the filmmakers since the Frozen 2 announcement to #GiveElsaaGirlfriend. The first trailer for Frozen 2 fueled fan speculation when a new female character was briefly glimpsed, causing some to think this could be a love interest for Elsa.

Co-director Jennifer Lee admitted to the Huffington Post back in February that the creative team is aware of this dialogue among fans. But when we caught up with Frozen 2's songwriting team Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, they confirmed to IGN at D23 Expo 2019 that Frozen 2 won't show Elsa with any romantic interest or explore that part of her story.

"Like the first movie, Elsa is not just defined by a romantic interest," said Kristen Anderson-Lopez. "There's so many movies that define a woman by her romantic interest. That's not a story that we wanted to tell at this point in time. What we really wanted to tell was if you have these powers, how do you grow and change and find your place in the world and find answers that haven't been found before?"

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Fine with me. Not every character needs to be in a relationship despite what the shippers may think.

OP
OP
Iori Fuyusaka

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's cause Rise of the Guardians already did
Funny you say that.

I actually have a shirt with this on it:

9cd9cc75a8835fbd75b6764aee7ff396.jpg

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Keeping her single is as far as they'll ever go with it. They care way too much about global distribution to ever make any film projected to make $1B+ have overt LGBT themes.

And since Disney only makes billion-dollar movies now...

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She keeps the snowman around for a reason and it ain't his charming personality.

Olaf is basically a dog that just happens to talk and has some snow magic.

Pretend Olaf doesn't speak (which probably isn't easy, as Olaf is one talky motherfucker) and it becomes clear that Olaf is an eternal snowman dog.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hope this means they are holding out because they secretly want to wait for a more progressive story to be viable for her like being a lesbian, or that they'll make her have no need for anyone to feel whole

would be a little lame for a prince to come along in Frozen 3

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with it. Just because fans demand it, doesn't mean the writers have to go with it.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Well, yeah, the person the fans want her to date is her sister and I don't think the world is ready for an incest lesbian relationship in a kid's movie.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Dismissing LGBT representation as pandering
Good, it would have just been pandering anyway.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
This works. She'll still be an interesting character without the romance. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if Disney avoided giving her an interest one way or the other to avoid any controversy. The nice thing with her staying single is she can remain queer in some people's head canons, too.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
Good. A romantic relationship doesn't define a person. There are plenty of folks on this site who are single who have stories worth telling.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe I'm just pessimistic but Disney ain't ever going to do something like that or at least overtly simply because they want China's money.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I don't care either way, but how would giving Elsa a love interest "define" her? Wouldn't that only happen if Elsa only gave herself value based on who she was with? Or is it more about perception?

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On one hand I think it's fine for her not to have a romantic subplot. On the other, more cynical hand, I wonder if there was financial motivation involved. Giving her a female love interest would probably get the movie banned in China, right? Can't give up that sweet, sweet Chinese box office.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Moana proved this isn't necessary anyway, and in fact tangibly widens the available pool of stories and themes you can focus on, especially in movies made mostly for kids. I hope this is a trend.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but when people say love interest, they usually mean a same-sex love interest. At least on Era.

So some of the replies are -weird- within that context. Specially because we've had princesses without love interests before?

Mulan, Merida, Moana and now Elsa. And heck, let's not forget that Frozen's message of love -isn't- romantic love, even though it features in the movie.

So it's strange to act like this is groundbreaking territory, or like romance needs to be the focal point of Elsa's character just because they give her a love interest.

Last edited:

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
These are exceptionally chaste movies with extremely horny fanbases, and I just don't get it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah, the person the fans want her to date is her sister and I don't think the world is ready for an incest lesbian relationship in a kid's movie.

Funnily enough I read a thing about the writers wanting to make it clear that Elsa wasn't Anna's blood sister but was the daughter of servants of the king and queen and when they died they raised her as their own and long story short, I was tricked into reading someone's fanfic and I'm still not happy about it.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
I mean I feel like that decision could well have been made post Frozen's break out performance? But I don't know. I personally like the sound of her having no romantic anything just fine.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but when people say love interest, they usually mean a same-sex love interest. At least on Era.

So some of the replies are -weird- within that context. Specially because we've had princesses without love interests before?

Mulan, Merida, Moana and now Elsa. And heck, let's not forget that Frozen's message of love -isn't- romantic love, even though it features in the movie.

So it's strange to act like this is groundbreaking territory, or like romance needs to the focal point of Elsa's character.
It wasn't super involved in the story but Mulan literally ended with her blushing because her commanding officer she was crushing on showed up while her grandma made marriage jokes.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

So it's strange to act like this is groundbreaking territory, or like romance needs to be the focal point of Elsa's character just because they give her a love interest.

It's because a lot of people saw Let It Go as a pro LGBTQ sentiment so they had hopes. The fools.

Sep 3, 2018

Yeah, this is odd to me because they've told plenty of stories about princesses who don't have romantic love interests and zero about same sex romance.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't super involved in the story but Mulan literally ended with her blushing because her commanding officer she was crushing on showed up while her grandma made marriage jokes.

I have watched this movie at least ten times and totally forgot her love interest, Li Shang.

It would actually be accurate to say that romance wasn't the focal point, same as Frozen.

It's because a lot of people saw Let It Go as a pro LGBTQ sentiment so they had hopes. The fools.
This is what's throws me off in Era whenever Elsa's sexuality is brought up. I don't know if it's because since it's a kids movie, the participants skew younger and don't really know how to navigate LGBT topics, but there was an opportunity here to bring diversity and do something -truly- groundbreaking.

Yet some people are bringing up incest, being horny, and/or acting like Disney hasn't done the "Independent Princess" thing before.

What is up with that? šŸ™ƒ

Last edited:

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
lame, having a queer princess is pretty long overdue and having the biggest moneymaker be it would have made a big statement

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Elsa should concentrate on the task at hand, fleshing out anarcho-monarcism into a coherent policy program. She is a totem monarch but I don't see how a sidestory romance would facilitate to get the message of localism, market anarchy, and voluntary segregation across.