• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Frozen 2?

• I loved it!

Votes: 181 30.7%
  • I liked it

Votes: 176 29.8%
  • I thought it was okay

Votes: 170 28.8%
  • I didn't like it

Votes: 45 7.6%
  • I hated it

Votes: 18 3.1%

• Total voters

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
This movie was incredible. Loved it a lot more than the first. I watched the first the other day and it's not that great. Not much happens in it. But 2 had a lot to it using the first as a springboard to a better plot and as an emotional base for the relationship between the sisters. Great tunes in this new one too. I'll admit it. It also looked amazing. It really did everything better than the first.

Last edited:

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back. I liked it wayyyyy better than the first. Show Yourself, Lost in the Woods(fucking genius song holy crap lol) and The Next right Thing were the best songs and better than anything in the first movie. I also loved the fall look of the movie.

pxleyes

Oct 25, 2017
No where near as classic or memorable as the original. Felt like more songs than the first, dragged for its length, and honestly nothing about those songs were memorable.

It was prettier than the first one, and Olaf was easily the best character.

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
I loved it. Thought the songs were way better than the originals, plus Olaf was actually funny this time.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Don't know why Elsa didn't attend Anna's coronation. That seemed odd.

Also, where was Elsa riding at the end? Ahtohallan? ...why?

Jun 17, 2019
Can I ask why people think it was her coronation? I thought it was well after and just at a ceremony for the statue.

Did they take out that one scene in the trailer with their mom and dad?

Also, what's Rider's relationship to Honeymarn? Are they friends or siblings?

Frozen 3 gonna end with a wedding, count on it. Wonder what they can do for confict next?

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Cool to see all the positive impressions here. I'm a little bummed that I won't have the time to see it for a few weeks. Sounds like they didn't saddle Elsa with a boyfriend to shutdown the LGBTQ fans, so that's already better then I was fearing. Elsa has probably been one of my favorite Disney characters in years, so I'm glad it sounds like she continues to get good development.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
How do they not have any toys of the lizard wtf all the kids loved that thing

Also I want From Software to make the tie in game for this, the movie had some Dark Souls moments

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty darn solid stuff.

Disney sequels are almost always garbage, and this manages to not fall into that trap.

They had Idina Menzel hitting some fucking notes in this movie man... whew.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honestly lost in the woods and Elsa with her hair down is enough to make this a 10, to say nothing of the almost oppressive theme of dealing with the passage of time and loss

Also I want From Software to make the tie in game for this, the movie had some Dark Souls moments

It is a salamander, thank you

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Not a huge fan of Anna's queen outfit. Her adventurer outfit (especially without the cape from the climax) is my favorite outfit in any Disney movie ever, though.

Don't know why Elsa didn't attend Anna's coronation. That seemed odd.

Also, where was Elsa riding at the end? Ahtohallan? ...why?

I didn't think that was a straight up coronation? I guess it must have been since Kristoff and the rest were dressed up though. The last coronation didn't exactly go well, maybe they felt comfortable moving things along without one another.

I'm pretty sure Elsa was riding out to meet them for charades.

There's new toys out the 30th, apparently.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I went in with tempered expectations and ended up liking it better than the first. It still had the same problem of terrible song pacing and superfluous tracks, but I liked settling in for a more straightforward and colorful adventure. No bullshit twists the film hopes impresses you, which made for a more solid film.

I'm also leaning in to the message that the way to peace is for those who are here today to step up and address the pillars of colonialism that continue to cause suffering, even if they personally had nothing to do with the conflicts of the past. Anna doesn't go all "sins of my forefathers" on the natives. She fucking destroys the dam and is willing to let Arendell sink for it.

She a real fucking ally.

I'm actually peeved they didn't go through with destroying the city. It felt like it neutered her sacrifice a little, though her willingness to do it at all somewhat justifies her abilities as a possible queen.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually peeved they didn't go through with destroying the city. It felt like it neutered her sacrifice a little, though her willingness to do it at all somewhat justifies her abilities as a possible queen.
The important part is that she was willing to do the right thing. Her actions matter because of what she thought would happen. It isn't lessened because the city wasn't actually destroyed, just like how it isn't lessened because Elsa wasn't really dead.

This movie is really slow/simple/nonessential in a lot of ways, but I love it because it takes these characters I care about a lot and basically hones in on their actions and why they're taking them. Like for example the fact that the people living in the forest don't logically make sense when you think about it too much doesn't really bother me because it's more about how Elsa and Anna deal with the situation if that makes sense. The beginning is definitely the weaker half but it sets up character motivations really well I think.

It feels like a logical conclusion to the first movie, like a prolonged epilogue that addresses the stuff at the end of Frozen that doesn't really make sense for the characters.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Disney has come a long way since "both sides are the same" Pocahontas.
Now, to be fair, I was really annoyed that Arendelle wasn't destroyed because the consequences for that would've been amazing to explore for a sequel, but I'll take what I can get. Speaking of which—

I don't think it neutered her sacrifice too badly because, as you said, she was willing to do it, which is pretty much the most important character decision of the film. She took responsibility for the problem. Elsa deciding on her own to save the kingdom is, yanno, whatever.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can we all respect the boldness to include an extended musical bit right before the third act of the film

I also really liked how show yourself didn't beat you over the head with what was happening and didn't even explicitly clarify it until the very end

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019
That underwater horse taming scene was incredible. Really incredible. Might be the best bit of purely visual storytelling Disney's done since... I don't even know. It beats the shit out of everything in Fantasia 2000.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
So I just got out. Writing on cellphone so bear with me.

The overall adventure narrative was a lot of fun but, and I may be waaaay off base here, I feel like the creators felt the weight of the responsibility of making a movie they know is going to be watched 100 times by kids growing up. The songs were nowhere near as catchy as Frozen, but they packed a lot of profundity in there. Almost like "A children's guide to growing up". The reality that change is inevitable (Some Things Never Change), change is both necessary and sometimes its own adventure (Into the Unknown), relationship miscommunication (Anna and Kristoff, Lost in the Woods), the necessity of action in the darkest and most desperate of times (The Next Right Thing), the idea that the 'thing' you're searching for to magically fix your problems might actually be within you (Show Yourself). There's only one real villain in there (the Grandfather) and he acted out of fear of magic which, if we ever got a bad guy in the Frozenverse who had Elsa's power, would be well founded.

The premise felt intentionally constructed to reflect our times - nations and peoples divided by circumstance, geography and culture, one side using technology and strategy (the dam) to tactically offset the much more powerful (potentially) natural weapons of the other side (magic).

In the end the siblings (best friends) go their own separate ways to live their own lives, which is something younger kids will eventually deal with too.

I dunno. Maybe I'm overthinking it. But for a movie that could of coasted on a traditional antagonist and a few catchy tunes, it felt like they did the legwork to create something more significant. It'll probably all work against the success of the film in the long run.

Line that's going to be repeated in a lot of relationships: "I'm here. What do you need?"

Best Song: Into the Unknown.

80's Music Video Pastiche I couldn't believe they had the balls to go there with: Lost in the Woods.

Song that a lot of the younger kids who just are NOT going to grasp how much is going on above and below the surface of the narrative will identify with: "When I'm Older."

Last edited:

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Movie needed to be longer to explore the conflict much more. I do appreciate how there's no real villain though. It just felt that the fact it was doing stuff like giving Kristoff a love ballad (which is AMAZING) that it should have a fully developed story.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Either I'm having a stroke or Honeymaren was barely in the film because after googling her, I do not remember this character. At all. Lmao.

Here I've been thinking the old woman was Honeymaren and wondering why tf people are shipping Elsa with a grandma.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Either I'm having a stroke or Honeymaren was barely in the film because after googling her, I do not remember this character. At all. Lmao.

Here I've been thinking the old woman was Honeymaren and wondering why tf people are shipping Elsa with a grandma.

She was barely in the film. I feel like her and her brother were introduced to be expanded upon in another Frozen sequel (which Disney is probably already planning).

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just realised the end and some of the themes around finding your place kind of reminded me of Ralph Breaks the Internet, surprised they took that route with Ralph knowing that this was coming!

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Disney sequels are almost always garbage, and this manages to not fall into that trap.

Is this the first Disney sequel that didn't go straight to home video?

And yeah, it really feels like there will be a third film. The story doesn't feel complete in this one, they raised so many questions about their parents but answered only half of them.

I thought Olaf was the best part of this film. They didn't really know what to do without christoph and Sven though, it felt like their bits could have been cut into its own short film (all the proposal attempts and the song).

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wreck it Ralph 2 was barely a year ago guys. It was very literally the last movie they released :D

Oct 25, 2017

Considering how there were rumors almost a year and a half ago that Elsa was getting a girlfriend in Frozen 2 (and that her and Anna's mother would play a big role in the film, which obviously wound up making it into the film), I'm thinking that Honeymaren was originally going to have a larger role. Maybe they'll pull the trigger if we get a Frozen 3 in a few years' time?

Although, if that was indeed the case, it seems like the studio was making a lot of changes along the way on this film. I know there were reports from test screenings this summer that
Elsa was going to actually die at the end, along with Olaf and her other ice creations.

Harusame

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
Just watched it a few hours ago, and I have to say that I quite enjoyed the film. I thought the film pacing was decent, though I can understand the sentiment that the ending could have been slightly better, so it doesn't appear as rushed. The songs were quite enjoyable, however, the surprise hit for me was definitely Lost in the Woods. Great song for Kristoff and I love the 80's style of the song. Definitely has a mix of Chicago's You're My Inspiration, Peter Cetera's The Glory of Love and Westlife's My Love. Definitely something that I feel that David Foster could produce.

When Elsa was traversing Ahtohallan, it reminded me of Ice Caves of the Frozen world in Kingdom Hearts 3. Other than that, I appreciated the world building and lore. Overall, really good movie .

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Anna what do I do"

"Go talk to her!"

"You mean like...talk...with words...from my mouth"

"Yes! Say something like you enjoyed talking about the shawl with her and you'd like to know more about her"

"Yeah but that's very frightening maybe I should just stand here and stare from a distance"

"Elsa you traveled across a deadly ocean and fought a huge water spirit I think you can talk to a girl for five minutes"

"No I can't"

"..."

"I will literally die"

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Huh,weird to hear all the complains about the weak plot, i wouldn't think this could be any worse than the first FROZEN (wich only outstanding things were the relationship between anna and elza and one song imo) i guess i will see for myself next week
That's straight-up a better film than the first, with better music almost across the board.

No self-conscious subverting of expectations, or navel-gazing about how problematic the classic Disney tropes are- just a good story, well-told. For modern WDAS, that's damn-near revolutionary. Hopefully the horrors of Wreck-It Ralph 2 are WELL in the rear-view mirror.
This sounds pretty good! I was getting tired of their now predictable twists specially the villains

Oct 25, 2017
"Anna what do I do"

"Go talk to her!"

"You mean like...talk...with words...from my mouth"

"Yes! Say something like you enjoyed talking about the shawl with her and you'd like to know more about her"

"Yeah but that's very frightening maybe I should just stand here and stare from a distance"

"Elsa you traveled across a deadly ocean and fought a huge water spirit I think you can talk to a girl for five minutes"

"No I can't"

"..."

"I will literally die"

I really want to see Gay Disaster Elsa trying to flirt with Honeymaren.

Oct 25, 2017
If Disney wasn't a bunch of cowards it would be a perfect premise for a short film on the Blu-ray.

At least we have the world of fan-fiction to somewhat fill in the void... But yeah, it's a shame Disney likely won't try to make a short film with that set-up. The comedy you could get from that scenario would be tremendous.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I loved it! I enjoyed it more than the first which I rewatched the day before. It was a beautiful movie and I feel the songs were stronger than the first. I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it so much!

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Anna making the decision to sacrifice Arendelle (her home) to make amends, even after the supposed death of Elsa and Olaf, was a great character choice. Imagine the impact if they'd gone through with it.

I thought the line Mattias says when he finds out the girl he had a crush on back in Arandelle is still single ("For some reason that doesn't make me happy" or words to that effect) was a wonderful way to define a character's core in a single line.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida

There's some other stuff like shirts and necklaces, fast fast toys, and more...but I mostly just saw eBay listings for those. The only thing I saw in person was the plush at the World of Disney store at Disney Springs after I watched the movie there on Friday.