• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Frozen 2?

• I loved it!

Votes: 181 30.7%
  • I liked it

Votes: 176 29.8%
  • I thought it was okay

Votes: 170 28.8%
  • I didn't like it

Votes: 45 7.6%
  • I hated it

Votes: 18 3.1%

• Total voters
OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately I won't be able to see it for another 24 hours ugggggggh

Frozen II is, unexpectedly, a better Thor: Ragnarok than Thor: Ragnarok.

In terms of how the returning characters are handled, Kristoff and Olaf are kinda just along for the ride in this one, but that's fine. The central drama of the two sisters is, again, the film's biggest strength, and they both have strong character material.

There is some truly astounding animation here, at different places in terms of its hyper-realism (like when Elsa is drawing water droplets inside the wreckage of her parents' ship) and in sheer visual imagination (mainly Elsa's powers sequences).

The OP's choice of thread title is unexpectedly fitting, with Elsa turning out to be the master of all spirits or whatever.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it a bit earlier and I really enjoyed this. Had good songs and it's cool Aurora was involved I like her music.

ending felt a little rushed though.

Is it because of
the film's message of fixing the wrongs of the past by an imperialist nation?
Yes, that's what I was referring to. In this case the revelation of past wrongs actually has something to do with the main characters' arcs and the climax is about their choices in remedying it, unlike in Ragnarok, where Thor gives zero fucks and spends most of the movie clowning around on Sakaar.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
A little bummed that a couple reviewers that I follow hated this movie, even DoubleToasted hated it and they usually really like Disney movies.

Obviously that doesn't cover everyone since lots of people really like it.

HeartofWinds

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely stunning and worth the wait, though I do wish it was a bit longer. Also would have loved an Elsa Anna duet as an 8th song. Can't wait to see it again!

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing I found is the songs are a lot more even spaced out in the film.

The first movie's second half barely had any songs in it.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen it yet, but can we please discuss how awful Panic at the Disco's version of Into the Unknown is?

Like, you may or may not like Idina's voice, but Panic trying to emulate her is HORRIBLE.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the story but really did not enjoy any of the music. Plus, there was way too much of it.

Also, Olaf's retelling of Frozen 1 was aces.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I haven't seen it yet, but can we please discuss how awful Panic at the Disco's version of Into the Unknown is?

Like, you may or may not like Idina's voice, but Panic trying to emulate her is HORRIBLE.

It's certainly not as good as Idina's version, but it's extremely catchy and the more I listen to it the more I like it. I think it's perfect as a credits song.

I also like how they approached the song from a different angle by giving it a rock flavour and having a male singer sing it.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
It's certainly not as good as Idina's version, but it's extremely catchy and the more I listen to it the more I like it. I think it's perfect as a credits song.

I also like how they approached the song from a different angle by giving it a rock flavour and having a male singer sing it.

I can't stand it lol. I deleted it from my phone, every time it comes on, I despair. 😂

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts:

An absolute delight. Gorgeous visuals, breathtaking effects, and all of the songs were fantastic. Kristoff's "Lost in the Woods" blew me away by how 80's it was with its presentation, with the gimmicky guitar riffs in the background getting me and a number of other folks in the audience to laugh at its hamminess. Olaf was so enjoyable in this installment (which is odd, because I was kinda 'meh' about him in the first movie), and his re-telling of the first movie (and the second in the stinger) was so good.

My only wish was that Honeymaren had more of a presence in the movie. I loved the scene between her and Elsa when they were talking about Iduna's shawl, but dammit I needed more! The trigger should've been pulled!

Give me a Frozen 3 focused on Elsa and Honeymaren please. PLEASE.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It felt like the movie was missing a third act. Or at least needed to spend more time on it. Things were settled shockingly quickly after she got to the island. It ended up leaving me feeling really unsatisfied when everything was handled.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Movie was amazing!! I enjoyed it from beginning to end. The music was catchy and memorable.... another billion dollar movie from disney

D23

Oct 25, 2017
i already have into the unknown stuck in my head..... looks like we have another let it go

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Just saw it earlier today and I loved it. It's a bit darker than the original, both in tone/story and visually and I think that's a great choice. Into the Unknown is an incredible song and either that or Show Yourself are going to be the new Let It Go. Maybe not as big though.

Can't wait to see it again when the Blu-Ray comes out.

Like others in this thread I felt like the ending was a bit rushed, but it's essentially a kids movie and it was already 100 minutes long, so that's fair.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I thought the first film was fine, objectively a great movie but not really my cup of tea. This was really poor. The pacing was scattershot at best, the songs were pretty much missed across the board aside from Into the Unknown and Show Yourself, the stakes felt low and the subplots were inessential. Lost in the Woods deserves an award for comedic scene of the year.

This basically felt let a 90s straight to DVD Disney sequel with a massive budget. Just a poorly told inessential story that crams in too much nonsense in a messy way and under delivers in almost every category aside from showing you cute things every once in a while to keep your eyes open. Kids most likely won't care as there's a ton of Olaf, music and visual set pieces but this was pretty ramshackle for those looking for a competently made and entertaining sequel. At least I got a Panic! at the Disco song out of it and a great dead parents joke.

5/10.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I don't know. I still get a weird feeling watching these CGI characters. It's like watching a plastic doll come to life and move around. I get why kids like it, but to me it's creepy and unsettling and I've always gotten kinda nervous when watching these movies (Tangled was the biggest offender in this regard--it took me three settings to get through that movie because I had to take a break every twenty minutes or so due to being so creeped out by the moving plastic dolls. That was actually the first one of these CGI animated movies I'd ever seen). I've never liked it, all the way back to the Toy Story days. I much prefer the old style of animation. But I've been defeated by history on this one.

The "plastic doll" thing isn't an issue for at all...or at least it wasn't until tonight, because I had that exact same thought several times throughout the movie. It looked weird, like it crossed over into the uncanny valley

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I liked it. It hits most of the dramatic beats pretty well. The songs were good, though you can't recapture the soundtrack from the first film. The movie is also a lot stronger visually. From color use, design, and cinematography, it just looks so fucking good, and that's before we get into the insanely beautiful technical achievements.

The theme is a bit scattered though with the ending.

The grander story about Erendel and "Imperialism = bad" but then also "eh Erendel is fine, leave it be" felt a bit limp-wristed to avoid any real consequences. Like Anna makes the choice, but then "eh don't worry about it, the spirits have decided you are good." Like it would have maybe worked better if it felt like the indigenous people in the forest had a place within Erendel itself, especially at Anna's coronation.

Like, it kinda sidelines the conflict between the Erendel soldiers and the Northuldrans when that needed a stronger beat during the climax.

Speaking of the coronation, it felt real weird for Elsa to not be there during the coronation. Like, she'll be there for charades, but not to see her sister be crowned? Like that's a nitpick, but felt like such an odd choice.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
It was fine. Pretty safe and unambitious as sequels go but the animation was gorgeous and two of the songs were great. Wasn't a fan of the script, though, it was so full of exposition and Things Happening just because. Overall I was just a bit underwhelmed that after 6 years *this* is what we got. Felt like they were playing family animated film bingo at times with the formulaic plot beats.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The thing I keep coming back to is that there is really no reconciliation or reckoning for Elsa throwing Anna and Olaf away from her to continue her journey alone. Given Anna's constant insistence of not being pushed away to "keep her safe" or anything like that, that's basically the worst thing Elsa could do. Immediately after that event Anna and Olaf directly talk about how angry are they are, but it's never really addressed again. Listening to Show Yourself more, because that song is a banger, I'm seeing more that the movie is giving positive messages about self-actualization and following your own path, "you are the one you've been waiting for / all of your life", but saying that it's fine to do that by cutting off your entirely supportive friends and family seems... odd. Because Anna is never like "stop no, don't follow your destiny", she's just like "hey you don't need to do this alone, let me help you!' And then when she isn't there, Elsa "dies" in precisely the way that Anna said she'd prevent (by preventing her from going "too deep"), but then it turns out that seemed to be exactly what needed to happen for the day to be saved!

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The thing I keep coming back to is that there is really no reconciliation or reckoning for Elsa throwing Anna and Olaf away from her to continue her journey alone. Given Anna's constant insistence of not being pushed away to "keep her safe" or anything like that, that's basically the worst thing Elsa could do. Immediately after that event Anna and Olaf directly talk about how angry are they are, but it's never really addressed again. Listening to Show Yourself more, because that song is a banger, I'm seeing more that the movie is giving positive messages about self-actualization and following your own path, "you are the one you've been waiting for / all of your life", but saying that it's fine to do that by cutting off your entirely supportive friends and family seems... odd. Because Anna is never like "stop no, don't follow your destiny", she's just like "hey you don't need to do this alone, let me help you!' And then when she isn't there, Elsa "dies" in precisely the way that Anna said she'd prevent (by preventing her from going "too deep"), but then it turns out that seemed to be exactly what needed to happen for the day to be saved!

The ending as a whole felt a little rushed, as others have said. That being said, there could have been a brief moment of apology from Elsa when she and Anna are first reunited.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
So glad I went early this morning, there was only 5 people in the cinema and a mother and her daughter left after 5 minutes because the kid wouldn't shut up. A+ parenting.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Just out of a screening for it; I thought it was rather dull and meandering in a lot of places.

Nothing special, and a big step down from the first, shame :(

julian

Oct 27, 2017
This may have been answered, but title says open spoilers so not scrolling through. Is this movie particularly scary compared to some other kid movies? Taking my kid tonight. He's 2.5 but he really enjoyed the first (plus we are going for free!). Whether he can handle scary is a crap shoot, but good to have a heads up. He somehow enjoyed An American Tale.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Saw it last night with the wife. She, of course, is enamored with it, but I just thought it was okay.

You could have chopped out like half of the film and it wouldn't have suffered at all.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Olaf was always kind of funny in the original movie (mistaking Kristoff for Sven, "Do you think she knows how to knock?", etc) but it was his oversaturation in subsequent media that made him annoying.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
Insane how uncompelling the plot was for this. If Disney forced them to make a third film I can't imagine how distraught the story people would be.

I enjoyed the songs though, especially how many of them there were and how well-distributed they were this time.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
The more i think about it, Anna is a much better written charcter then Elsa. I don't mind Elsa as a charcter but Anna as a charcter has always been laser focused on doing the right thing and her motives are not extremely flip-floppy like Elsa is in F2.

Nov 13, 2017
This may have been answered, but title says open spoilers so not scrolling through. Is this movie particularly scary compared to some other kid movies? Taking my kid tonight. He's 2.5 but he really enjoyed the first (plus we are going for free!). Whether he can handle scary is a crap shoot, but good to have a heads up. He somehow enjoyed An American Tale.

It's not scary. There's a very thrilling action scene with Else fighting a water spirit during a thunder storm, and there's a very depressing song that Anna sings toward the end, but I don't think I would consider any moment in the movie to be "scary" per say.

I kind of want to see it again just to see Show Yourself.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's not scary. There's a very thrilling action scene with Else fighting a water spirit during a thunder storm, and there's a very depressing song that Anna sings toward the end, but I don't think I would consider any moment in the movie to be "scary" per say.

I kind of want to see it again just to see Show Yourself.
Thanks!

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing, loved it.

Can't wait for the blu ray to try and spot some Easter eggs, only caught Baymax but that was a gimme