• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Let's start with the most important thing. Ring Fit Adventure is a Great game.

Here's the story so far:
I've been pretty active person my entire life. I have played competitive sports and other sports from the age of 4. It's a big part of my life. But as it is I am now 38 years old. I have two little boys and life just gives you more things to do with the same time as before. I have developed what is flatteringly known as dadbod. There's definitely extra there, maybe 10-15 kilograms even if I can still outrun most people in orienteering route or play decent safety in american football.

I have been playing video games roughly two years less than I have done sports. For over thirty years I've played on every single major system. I have dabbled with VR and I played the heck out of Wii Sports Resorts and Wii Fit games. I've tried out other stuff as well, but as it is they are more of a curiosity than a game or actual workout.

Here is where the magic of Nintendo and 2019 come along. Ring Fit Adventure and I can't stress this enough is a great game and is a good workout.

I started to play the game on day 1. I've been playing every day for 30-45 minutes of active time, which translates roughly to 1-2 hours of gameplay every day. I do this most often when my kids are asleep either at night or during naps. Why do I keep playing it, when it practically makes me grow my backlog of Switch games in absolutely disgusting numbers. I have barely touched Luigis Mansion 3, I have played literally two hours of Pokémon (which is maybe a tenth of what I would have played the game ten years ago). I still haven't finished Astral Chain or Link's Awakening. It's a fantastic situation to be in as a gamer, but it's also a really weird situation.

I can play the games on my commute still, but at home it's been 99% Ring Fit Adventure. It's a weird situation. I have always been a pragmatic in my hobby. I played A LOT as a kid and before my own kids were born. We play Mario Maker 2 and some other games with them, but as it is, the hobby has been taking the backbench to other things in life. It's not a bad thing.

But now. I feel the urge to play every day. I want to play the game every single day. I want to open up the Switch and find a slot in my day to do that. Why? Because it feels good and it plays good. I know this is repeating the previous statement, but it's a line that has to be said over and over again. It's not GOTY material for obvious reasons but it's definitely GOTDB material.

Does it work?

It does.
I started to measure my progress simply by doing the minigames one every day, tracking my progress. I have in every single one of them raised my record at least one level (levels go from C- to S) There are clothes that fit me better. And I stress the following. I feel better.

I have in no other way changed my daily routines whatsoever. I eat absolutely the same, which is not the healthiest diet. I do eat enough fruit and veggies but there is way too much saturated fats and sugar in my diet, which is the main reason for my well-developed dadbod. I still have my regular training, football, floorball, orienteering and occasional other sports. What changes there have been, I attribute it to better sleep and Ring Fit Adventure and the former partly to the latter.

I play on intensity level 24/30 currently, which means I do approximately 26-30 reps on basic fitness moves on each attack. Doing 30 raised squats four to five times during an hour training with other moves is nothing to sniff at even if you play sports or are active otherwise. There are often times that I am literally drenched with sweat. There are multiple occasions where the challenges or requests have taken me Several attempts and there are situations where I actually had to resort changing in-game clothes or using other boosts to make it through them. Treadmill challenges are fantastic way to get yourself feel vulnerable.

Most of the game levels I play through with light heartbeat, around 110-120 range, with maybe one third going into 120-150 range and one tenth above that. I don't normally use cardio belts or other accessories, but I did for few days just to test my average heartbeat throughout the entire session. It was 118. It's a damn good average heartbeat for a session that took an hour and eight minutes. For a video game it's fantastic.

I continuosly try to improve my posture and the way I do the excercises. I try to listen to the tips and always rebalance myself for example in yoga postures when needed. The game is never being too harsh on the movements, but it also does give you enough instructions to do them well and properly.

This is a great move if you do it right.

There are enough excercises to make the game easier or tougher for yourself or simply to have a large variety of good moves for your entire body. There are some that are very easy for active people, but doing russian twists with your feet off the ground will kill you if you want to.

All in all it's a great workout if you commit to it. For someone who doesn't actively do sports or otherwise excercise this will work on a much more relaxed schedule than for me. The best part on the excercise side of it is that it will never ever berate you. It's the most positive feedback I have ever seen. It wants you to do things your way, how your body feels comfortable, how you want. And no excercise is ever going to be succesful unless it motivates you to do that.

Is it a good game? (THIS PART WILL CONTAIN SLIGHT SPOILERS)

It is. It absolutely is.

It has good gameplay, great reward loop and for not just as an excercise game but simply as a game it has surprising amount of depth.

You start the game with just the bare minimum of excercises as it walks you through the game mechanics. It gives you new things pretty regularly from the get go. You get new moves. You get new skills to travel the world and you get new minigames and challenges.

As you progress through the extremely campy story you unlock a skill tree, which will then be expanded later on into larger one. You get backtracking with requests on world. These vary from delivering smoothies to battles with certain conditions to playing through course using as few steps as possible jumping and gliding instead. There is a continuous reward loop that keeps you going for the next level. The game tends to tell you to take breaks more often than not, but it's really not more than any other Nintendo game when looking at the overall gameplay time.

The story is great. It's fun. It's witty. It's campy. It's extremely cliché, but it fits the game. Everyone you meet is a stereotype or an archetype. Best of all of these is of course the main antagonist, body building Dragon Dragaux, who wants to corrupt the land trying to regain his powers. There are plenty of running gags and there is a lot of references to games, stories, pop culture and other things.

The enemies are adorable antropomorfications of gym equipment. There are Kettlebells, Dumbells, helmets and drinking bottles along with excercise balls and such. They are charming and although their attack patterns could be better, there's enough variation for you to appreciate the visual difference.

There's plenty to fight in Ring Fit Adventure

Visuals altogether are fantastic. The world is vivid and the simplistic artstyle suits well with the input system and the straightforward progress within the levels. As you progress you will surely notice repetition within the levels and in some points it might be quite obvious. But then there are new levels and visuals that will delight you. World and the looks are complemented by great soundtrack. The production values within the game are phenomenal.

There's inventory of Smoothies that you can either buy or make from ingredients, squeezing the Ring Con accessory to make them. It's weird to do onion soup that way, but then again I am battling against Dragaux the bodybuilding dragon with mountain climbers and russian twists. Smoothies are items that can replenish your health, give you exp, material or combat boost. There have been very few completely useless ones and the more powerful ones you unlock are still varied from the earlier ones, making very few of them obsolete. Clothes give you static bonuses and there are set bonuses that can give you faster running speed or experience boost or attack boost against certain type of enemies. The clothes also serve as the main customisation means for the game.

There's the skill tree and skill progression, where you want to change your attacks and excercises accordingly. Even if you do the requests and are overleveled in the later worlds you still want to have those powerful attacks on hand, because there are still enemies that you have to work for if you want to beat them without resorting to cheating on your excercises. The game isn't particularly hard and you probably won't die after the first few worlds. Even if you do there are recovery items and such.

You'll want to unlock that Level 2 Tree pose

And then there's the things outside the main Adventure mode. You can do simple excercises from different muscle groups. You can customise your own sets. You can play the minigames and go for the high scores on online leaderboards. Or you can try to set records on quick excercises like front press. Those records can be shared as well.

One of the things that I wouldn't have thought that would capture my interest is that you can compare people born on the same year you have through every single excercise and movement in the game. I am currently standing at #1 on Tree Pose, Chair Pose and Sidesteps out of 1091 people my own age who have uploaded their results. There are moves that I am well below #500 (looking at you, regular squats) and even though I am high in jogging I am much much lower on dashes. People play the game differently and it's become a habit to check my stands every few days.

CONCLUSION:

2YzJCp3.jpg

I hit Level 100 yesterday.

From what I've heard there is 20 worlds in the game. I am now on level 12 and I have been trying to complete every world as much as it's been possible, doing requests and challenges. I am slightly overleveled but as I mentioned earlier there's still fair bit of challenge in different forms. There are some situations where the game throws curveballs at you and you still have to push it in order to advance.

They said before the game was released that there is a good 2-3 months to play if you play Adventure mode every day. I play it every day and comparing stats within my age group I am in the top few percent when it comes to excercise times. Im still just past half point of the adventure mode and I haven't done any other things except those singular excercises to track my possible physical progression.

People often try to compare games with "Bang for the Buck" system. Ring Fit Adventure will cost you slightly more than your regular game, but if you commit to it there is more bang to this game than most regular games ever offer. It's a deep if straightforward adventure RPG that offers light, fun and witty story along with diverse training and a lot of encouraging words.

It's one of my best video gaming purchases in the last ten years and I am excited to see what the rest of the adventure brings. I truly hope there is going to be DLC adventures and maybe even a tie-in with the good old Wii Fit Board that is still in one of our cupboards, just waiting for me to hit tree pose on it.

TL;DR

Ring fit Adventure is a great game that offers a lot of different excercises, modes and a fun lighthearted adventure. It's absolute blast to play and I would recommend it to anyone who has any interest in trying excercise games. This is bang for your buck and killer on your glutes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Timppis

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Do you think your interest will be maintained after you finish the adventure mode?
I do. But I won't play it daily because I really wanna hit my Galar region at some point.

I will play new adventure with the highest intensity level and 2-3 times a week and will attack possible DLC if there is some.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I've always had a hard time motivating to exercise and am honestly out of shape. Would this be feasible for someone who's starting from that sort of position?

OP
OP
Timppis

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I've always had a hard time motivating to exercise and am honestly out of shape. Would this be feasible for someone who's starting from that sort of position?
Personally I think it's best for that situation.

It lets you progress on the pace that you feel comfortable with and you never lose in-game progress or things like that. It regularly asks you if you feel comfortable with the selected intensity and offers pre- and post stretching advice.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
The hardest part of exercising is just starting. This game seems to be an excellent way to "trick" your brain into getting into the habit of staying in shape. Really great stuff, hope it catches on!

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Started the game on difficulty lvl 26 because I wanted to make the content "last" (am ingame ~90 atm).
I've dropped the difficulty to level 23 once I read how many worlds there are in total.
I think it might be a challenge to fully complete the game, no matter on which difficulty level you play, because there is simply that much content.

Just take a look into your inventory and compare how many items you have unlocked and how many are still locked.

Last edited:

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
This kinda looks like what I expected the Wii___ series to evolve into after sports and fit came out: clean aesthetic, motion controls, simple concept like fitness/sports/music front and center instead of worldbuilding or characters, gameified harder than the first casual nintendo games.. i definitely want it but i'm kinda surprised it happened now, damn near a decade after I forgot I expected to see something like this.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Personally I think it's best for that situation.

It lets you progress on the pace that you feel comfortable with and you never lose in-game progress or things like that. It regularly asks you if you feel comfortable with the selected intensity and offers pre- and post stretching advice.
Yeah it's perfect for that. It got me interested in exercising again.

oooo awesome maybe i'll pick it up over the holidays once i have some time to get into an exercise routine. thanks!

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It really is a great game, my biggest surprise in years. Everyone I've recommended the game to loves it too, and have been working out regularly because of how much they like the experience, bless the developers of this game and the ones that pitched this idea to Nintendo

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Level 32, I did 1 hour and half today. It feels so good. I didn't know I could compare my scores with people my age, I assume I need an online subscription?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I'm honestly feeling fine. My abs are still killing me from the 65 leg raises I did yesterday so I focused on arms and legs today. I really should raise my difficulty but some of those tricep exercises had me basically out of gas at the end. Maybe next session I'll raise it by one.

Dang. Went to look but 100$ is a bit pricey.

It's $80 in the US, and you can usually find it for less on Amazon or Walmart.

Nov 2, 2017
I got to try this at a friend's house and love the concept. Great to hear that it continues to be as good all those levels later.

One question I had: at some point does the game make you do exercises for body parts you have been neglecting? Because in the time up to the first bossfight there was one exercise that looked horrible and I just avoided it entirely, what with it being me just trying it out for fun. I'd like to think that the game has some kind of "no, you will NOT skip leg day" function where it balances things up so anything like this?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'm honestly feeling fine. My abs are still killing me from the 65 leg raises I did yesterday so I focused on arms and legs today. I really should raise my difficulty but some of those tricep exercises had me basically out of gas at the end. Maybe next session I'll raise it by one.
I keep thinking "yea this is fine, I'm okay" and then I get hit with "yoooo abs-only gym check this out, only ab stuff all in a row, no prisoners" or "yooo my name is Allegra, I'mma kill your legs!" and I go "fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff".

But still, I'm dead after half an hour. No matter what. Didn't realize I was _that_ out of shape in comparison.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
I keep thinking "yea this is fine, I'm okay" and then I get hit with "yoooo abs-only gym check this out, only ab stuff all in a row, no prisoners" or "yooo my name is Allegra, I'mma kill your legs!" and I go "fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff".

But still, I'm dead after half an hour. No matter what. Didn't realize I was _that_ out of shape in comparison.

Reminds me of when i was fighting the Abs Guy and was attacking him with Leg Raises that I barely Managed at the end, and than afterwards he Atacked with a Special Attack where I needed to hold Leg Raises up for a very Long Time.

I got to try this at a friend's house and love the concept. Great to hear that it continues to be as good all those levels later.

One question I had: at some point does the game make you do exercises for body parts you have been neglecting? Because in the time up to the first bossfight there was one exercise that looked horrible and I just avoided it entirely, what with it being me just trying it out for fun. I'd like to think that the game has some kind of "no, you will NOT skip leg day" function where it balances things up so anything like this?

It doesn't force you but it encourages it, the attacks are Colour coded for Leg, Abs, Arm and Yoga and you do more damage with the right Type of Attack for each Monster. And Because you always learn new Attacks or Stronger Version of old Attacks it changes regulary what the strongest Attack for each colour is.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

In general the game never really forces you to use any particular exercise. There are some level obstacles that require you to do certain things like squats, overhead pulls, ab presses but those are generally not that difficult to do after a bit of practice with them.

There are optional game gyms (minigames basically) that force you to use a specific exercise (mountain climbers for me were particularly hard) but you don't have to do those gyms.

I may also just be at a lower difficulty than you. I've been doing 20 for the past week.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with everything in the OP. Ring Fit is genius. It's one of Nintendo's best games, period.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017

Adventure mode is designed in a way that makes sure you don't "skip" certain body parts.
You do have a lot of freedom regarding the excersises you want to do but skipping legs, abs or arms is impossible.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The game is the real deal.
To everyone that already exercises: give this game a try, it may be more fun than your regular routine, and it's a real work out.
To everyone who doesn't regularly exercise: this game is literally for you.

Yeah I don't really think it's a spoiler but
apparently there are a total of 69 worlds

Nice. :)

Wander

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if I missed this but what are your health results/ any weight loss etc

Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at work, yet wishing I was home so that I can play. I'm absolutely loving it as a toning/stamina-building tool. Also, the music is damn great.

Kinda nitpicking, but my complaint is regarding the imposed limit of moves you can take to battle. Having to swap learned moves/exercises in and out cause of a move-roster-limit like pokemon feels like an odd restraint. Others have mentioned you unlock categorizing workouts via muscle groups later? I'm hoping targeting muscle groups in this manner will help offset this constraint.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats for hitting level 100. This game provides a great workout for everyone and those who are very fit already could add ankle and/or wrist weights and still get some decent benefits. So far easily my game of the year.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017

Moved to the suburbs in January, cancelled my gym membership, didn't do any exercise for 10 months, got out of shape and in September I was out for 4 weeks with lower back pain.

That was my wake up call and around the same time Ring Fit came out...
I did ca. 20 sessions (ca. 1h a day) since I bought it and my back pain is gone, I've lost some weight and I'm in MUCH better shape than just a few weeks ago.

tl;dr : It's for you. Trust me.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game is fantastic. Can't say enough good things about it. I was actually shocked how deep the rpg system is in the game.

It's honestly the best turn based rpg I've played in years. Typically in turn based RPGs I'll just use the same attacks for every battle and never use items. Not the case here. I'm constantly varying my attacks up and using and crafting smoothies all the time.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
In general the game never really forces you to use any particular exercise. There are some level obstacles that require you to do certain things like squats, overhead pulls, ab presses but those are generally not that difficult to do after a bit of practice with them.

There are optional game gyms (minigames basically) that force you to use a specific exercise (mountain climbers for me were particularly hard) but you don't have to do those gyms.

I may also just be at a lower difficulty than you. I've been doing 20 for the past week.

I thought you were higher than that. Like I started at 20, found it too easy, and have been raising by level by one each day. I maybe stopping at 24, but I maybe try 25 to see how well that kills me.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought you were higher than that. Like I started at 20, found it too easy, and have been raising by level by one each day. I maybe stopping at 24, but I maybe try 25 to see how well that kills me.

I started at 21 and day one the squats were killing me to the extent that I almost fell over and blacked out several times, so I lowered it to 18 the next day and have been gradually increasing it.

But that was probably more about me not doing squats in years than anything else, because now they're pretty easy.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I lost quite a bit of weight, but RFA showed me how incredibly unhealthy I still am. I can only do about 15 minutes of active time before I have to stop. Might have to try the silent mode where I can do squats instead of running.

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm extremely out of shape and this is kicking my ass, but it's a good ass kicking. No idea how people are burning like 300+ calories but I guess I'll get there!

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Ring Fit is amazing and I do it every chance I get at a set time and I FEEL AMAZING EVERY TIME

Ring: VIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICTORYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I feel amazing when he says it!

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I started at 21 and day one the squats were killing me to the extent that I almost fell over and blacked out several times, so I lowered it to 18 the next day and have been gradually increasing it.

But that was probably more about me not doing squats in years than anything else, because now they're pretty easy.

I just find it weird since I am an out of shape fat ass and I'm somehow doing higher levels than some people here. Granted, I have to take painkillers after working out on Ring Fit or else I won't be able to move the next day.