• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Miyazaki Game Has The Best Overall Collection of Bosses?

• Demon Souls

Votes: 41 5.2%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 52 6.6%
  • Dark Souls 2

Votes: 13 1.6%
  • Dark Souls 3

Votes: 116 14.7%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 152 19.2%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 416 52.7%

• Total voters

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Only one had 3 but you could cheese the second one if you were clever with the environment

Genichiro and Demon also had 3.

Posture is just another health gauge that refills super quickly, meaning even a slight screw-up undoes any and all progress you made. In my opinion it really isn't any better and in some ways it's outright worse.

It rewards skillful play, if you are good you can defeat the bosses much faster, while still having the other way of depleting their health first if you want to take your time to learn them (what I did in my first run).

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Posture is just another health gauge that refills super quickly, meaning even a slight screw-up undoes any and all progress you made. In my opinion it really isn't any better and in some ways it's outright worse.
Right but posture fills up exponentially quicker than their life bar, and certainly significantly quicker than depleting most life bars of the soulsborne games. We agree to disagree about it being worse or better I think.
Genichiro and Demon also had 3.

It rewards skillful play, if you are good you can defeat the bosses much faster, while still having the other way of depleting their health first if you want to take your time to learn them (what I did in my first run).
Oh yep. Genichiro I always forget about because his third phase is such a joke with lightening parry. Demon of hatred I forgot about it because I just skip him on every play through because he goes against everything fun about sekiro boss fights :P

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
It's hard to choose but I voted Dark Souls 3. Midir is one of my favourite bosses ever, and you also have Abyss Watchers, Pontiff, Nameless King, L&L, Soul of Cinders, and the other DLC bosses like Sister Friede, the Twin Demons, Gael and the underrated Spear of the Church... Old Monk except better <3

Again i feel the need to point out this is only true if youre not going for posture damage. The fights last as long as you personally allow them to by and large. The boss fights in dark souls 3 dlc all last significantly longer than any of the boss fights in sekiro (maybe excluding demon of hatred but thats because its a bad dark souls type boss thrown into a game it doesnt belong in)
Demon of Hatred is an awesome boss though :D but yeah it's the only boss that's "long". Father Owl can take a while too, but it's not that bad if you're very aggressive and constantly pressure him.

It's weird to see someone complaining the bosses are too long in Sekiro and then praising Bloodborne, where many of its bosses are HP sponges. The DLC bosses (outside of Lady Maria) especially: Ludwig, Laurence, Orphan, take longer than anyone in Sekiro except maybe DoH. And the infamous chalice bosses, liked Defiled Watchdog, Defiled Amy, Headless Bloodletting Beast, Abhorrent Beast, also take quite a while too, even with high DPS builds.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

It rewards skillful play and punishes non-skillful play with torturously long battles that aren't fun. That's the problem. If you're not good at parrying, the game basically laughs at you and puts you on Ultra Hard Mode.

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's hard to choose but I voted Dark Souls 3. Midir is one of my favourite bosses ever, and you also have Abyss Watchers, Pontiff, Nameless King, L&L, Soul of Cinders, and the other DLC bosses like Sister Friede, the Twin Demons, Gael and the underrated Spear of the Church... Old Monk except better <3

Demon of Hatred is an awesome boss though :D but yeah it's the only boss that's "long". Father Owl can take a while too, but it's not that bad if you're very aggressive and constantly pressure him.

It's weird to see someone complaining the bosses are too long in Sekiro and then praising Bloodborne, where many of its bosses are HP sponges. The DLC bosses (outside of Lady Maria) especially: Ludwig, Laurence, Orphan, take longer than anyone in Sekiro except maybe DoH. And the infamous chalice bosses, liked Defiled Watchdog, Defiled Amy, Headless Bloodletting Beast, Abhorrent Beast, also take quite a while too, even with high DPS builds.
I think demon of hatred made me realize how hard its going to be to go back to the souls gameplay and bosses (especially with a stamina bar). Not sure I can go back after falling in love with the posture system.

I mean, who am I kidding I totally am going to with elden ring but DoH just stuck out like a sore thumb for me. Lore wise hes incredibly interesting at least.
It rewards skillful play and punishes non-skillful play with torturously long battles that aren't fun. That's the problem. If you're not good at parrying, the game basically laughs at you and puts you on Ultra Hard Mode.
Thats sort of true for any game you play when you don't play it the way it asks of you tho.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Oh yep. Genichiro I always forget about because his third phase is such a joke with lightening parry.

First time was a pain in the ass for me since it took me some tries to get the timing down. Having a mechanic like that for the first time in the game after 2 health bars of a boss is not a design decision I can get behind.

I absolutely love Sekiro but in certain moments I really loathed my first run due to some of their decisions.

Demon of hatred I forgot about it because I just skip him on every play through because he goes against everything fun about sekiro boss fights :P

I really like this fight, felt super epic honestly.

Weird, you might be right but I don't recall that being my experience at all, Ludwig for example goes down really fast. I think I only started thinking bosses were getting too long with DS3 DLCs, like Sister Friede and Gael.

Nah just be patient and punish some of the bosses biggest moves, you don't even need to get in a lot of times and can just bait those moves at the right distance, I'd say that's actually the easiest way to play the game when you are learning.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne with DS3 close behind. Bloodborne has some incredible boss fights.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Thats sort of true for any game you play when you don't play it the way it asks of you tho.

This is why I like the Souls games and Bloodborne and didn't like Sekiro - you're basically railroaded down one very specific path that if your reflexes aren't good enough to follow - an issue that 'just get better' isn't really a solution for - you essentially can't enjoy the game at all.

A 20-plus-minute final boss fight where a single hit is instant death just isn't fun.

Res

Oct 25, 2017

Isnt that the point though? From constantly said that the mechanic was vital to combat, so sticking with the souls method only attacking and dodging without parrying will naturally take a while to kill a boss. I'm not that great of a player, but battles really aren't that long if you know what you are doing. It's pretty much similar to previous games

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is why I like the Souls games and Bloodborne and didn't like Sekiro - you're basically railroaded down one very specific path that if your reflexes aren't good enough to follow - an issue that 'just get better' isn't really a solution for - you essentially can't enjoy the game at all.

A 20-plus-minute final boss fight where a single hit is instant death just isn't fun.
Yeah I totally get it. I know a lot of people that feel this way also.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Bloodborne had lady maria, ludwig, orphan, gehrman...great all around.
Dark Souls had Artorias, Manus, Kalameet, and Gwyn...but also BoC, 4 kings, the bullshit duo or the butterfly.
Dark Souls 3? Nameless king, Midir, and Abyss Watchers.
Sekiro? Got stuck in the random armored dude screaming for his boy so can't judge.
Dark Souls 2 is so maligned, Fume Knight, Ivory king, Squalid queen, and poison dragon were great. Even tho it had many stinkers, its highs are really good.
So, Bloodborne>DkS2>DkS3>DkS>DS>>Sekiro

Jan 10, 2018
Dark Souls probably. I like the variation.

I did not like the boss design for Bloodborne. Almost every boss has this "batshit crazy mode" where you have to dodge so much your thumb becomes numb. Sadly DS3 and Sekiro also followed this concept and it has made me lose a bit of interest in these games. Being pushed into a corner is fine every now and then but when the entire fight feels like that it just becomes exhausting.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bloodborne, because even its lesser bosses like Celestial Emissary and Witch of Hemwick are still somehow enjoyable (to me).

Dark Souls III is very close behind, though.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I can't rank them, or even pick the best one. I just know Dark Souls 2 is last. And even it has some damn good ones.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
This is a tough one, but I'd go with Bloodborne with the best bosses, and Dark Souls 2 with the worst.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro only has the bull as its lowest point. And I think Witch of Hemwick is the only think I dislike in bloodborne if my memory is correct. Voted sekiro since it's the freshest but I could go with either one.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
People saying Demon's are high on nostalgia. It's rough compared to everything that followed. If Sekiro had some DLC with a few more bosses it might take the cake... But as is it's just a bit too thin. Dark 3 is probably objectively the best, but doesn't excite me like Bloodborne and Sekiro. I'd probably rate Bloodborne > Dark 3 > Sekiro > Dark 1 > Demons > Dark 2.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Bloodborne for me. The right amount of challenge (with summoning sometimes to help), incredible designs for both creature and setting. Music and sound design are perfecf. Those are the most memorable.

Demons Souls also has some good ones, especially the puzzle ones which I personally prefer.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne and Sekiro are up there. But every single one of the games has some real standouts that could go toe-to-toe with those two.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls has some of the most memorable, and best of all time, but it fails as a collection. Sekiro has some of the best combat mechanics per boss fight, but again, just like Dark Souls fails as a collection (but much less) compared to Bloodborne.

Call it nostalgia, but when I think of the most memorable for me, it's a toss up between Demon's and Dark Souls, even though they are mechanically behind more often than not compared to the games that came after. Bloodborne just wins for having a relatively consistent quality for bosses that aren't always that remarkable, but they are still pretty good. Sekiro has an even more curated boss collection, but they are also designed around a very strict approach, unlike Bloodborne that has slightly (still not a ton) more freedom in that regard.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne for me. Main game bosses are great. DLC bosses were spectacular. Chalice Dungeons bosses were an added bonus and there's a shit load of them. Incredible game.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
From the games I've played:

1. Demon's Souls
2. Bloodborne
3. Dark Souls 3

DeS bosses are not only a battle, but a times, also a puzzle, which makes the incredible memorable. This is not saying BB or DS3 have bad or forgettable boss battles, it's just that I liked the puzzle elements on DeS. BB and DS3 also have incredible fights (Gehrman, Vicar Amelia, Lady Maria, Nameless King, Dancer of the Boreal Valley, etc)

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Sekiro had one of the best bosses in any of the Souls type games. However Bloodborne had many memorable, well designed bosses that standout to me.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Sekiro has the best in terms of percentage due to the game not having that many bosses to begin with.

But Bloodborne in the end is my favorite. Yeah there are a lot of mediocre ones, but because the game has like 30 bosses in total there are a lot of great ones too.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Souls last is crazy. That game has so many wonderfully creative setups and conceptual ideas for bosses, even if the fights themselves aren't as developed as later entries.

Personal ranking, keeping in mind everything on the list is pretty fab, which makes it feel like I'm shortchanging particular titles:

Bloodborne -> Dark Souls 3 -> Sekiro -> Demon's Souls -> Dark Souls ->->->->->->->->->->->->->-> Dark Souls 2.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
God Tier: Sekiro

High Tier: Bloodborne = Dark Souls 3

Hit-or-Miss Tier: Dark Souls = Dark Souls 2

Sticky White Stuff Tier: that game with Dragon God ololololololol

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Only one game has Lady Maria.

That boss you can just stand in front of and visceral to death with little trouble? I know people love her for dat waifu effect, but Maria was a nothingberder of a boss whose greatest contribution to Bloodborne was that she tossed her weapon down a well for you to find and make better use of.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Acording to Much is Déraciné

S2nCpkB.gif

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
That boss you can just stand in front of and visceral to death with little trouble? I know people love her for dat waifu effect, but Maria was a nothingberder of a boss whose greatest contribution to Bloodborne was that she tossed her weapon down a well for you to find and make better use of.
Yeah but she's really fucking cool.

The blood and fire thing is sick and Sometimes that counts for a lot for some peeps, even if she's easy af.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Sekiro, but Bloodborne.
The gameplay feels really good. It makes the bosses more enjoyable.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see Sekiro is getting many votes. Owl father, Isshin and Guardian Ape are among From best bosses.

My personal ranking is the same as poll result. Without awesome dlc Sekiro don't have chances for number one.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Shout outs to Lady Maria and Sister Friede, but i have to go with DS2 game just clicked for me and was just such an amazing experience for me. there's one moment in particular that subverts expectations in a good way that GoT only dreams of and im a sucker for how bosses are staged. Not to say that DS3 or BB or DS1 were bad at that but DS2 stuck with me in a way the others didnt.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Agree pretty much with the OPs ranking, although I'd put Demon's somewhat higher because I actually like "gimmick" bosses - the ones in DS3 for example I think they did really well. Deacons is fun and unique and big skellyman is the best version of the Dragon God/BoC fight they've done. The only boss in Demon's I don't really care for is the Dirty Collosus (ironically not a gimmick boss) because I think it's too boring and generic for that stage in the game (which most likely is late game).

I would put DS1 above DS3 just because I find the bosses more fun even if they're easier. I've learned most boss fights to do them with RTSR and it's just hugely satisfying, repeatedly, to fight the DLC bosses, 4 Kings, O&S. DS3 bosses tip the scales for me and I don't find the difficulty of Friede, Gale and the DLC dragon to be fun - I haven't put anywhere near the amount of time in, maybe if I learned the fights I would find them more gratifying, but that's the point - I don't want to learn them. Twin Princes is probably my favourite fight in DS3 and I think it gets the difficulty balance right.

Sekiro gets top spot because the fights are just a lot of fun thanks to the combat. The final boss is ass-kickingly tough but hella fun to learn. I love both Owl fights, probably my favourite fight of any these games in fact. Guardian Ape, DoH, so many great fights in that game.

Last edited: