• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Really wish Sony offered a subscription like GamePass for things like Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2.

Knowing my current sub covers Gears Tactics, Halo Infinite, the next Forza and possibly the new Fable, it's just an amazing service and that's before all the third party stuff.

Sony should counter.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I think Microsoft are aggressively pursuing new subscribers at the moment at a loss to themselves but providing great value to customer. What I wonder is how the enthusiasm will be on places like era when Microsoft shift from "growing the subs" mode to "lets make some money".

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see how this is so shocking to people. 398 games is a nice number. And they could all be good games. But none of them are games I would buy day one. Including Gears 5 or Outer Worlds, etc. sure I'm interested in them but they aren't games I'm dying to play right now. I can only give so much time to gaming. My focus is on things I want to play, and not just interesting things because it's cheap? That sounds unfair. I don't mean to talk down on the service. I see the value for sure. But I can also see why someone might not.
I can also see that, for various reasons,too. But saying that none of the games are interesting is a little bit different to the post I was replying to.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I don't see how this is so shocking to people. 398 games is a nice number. And they could all be good games. But none of them are games I would buy day one. Including Gears 5 or Outer Worlds, etc. sure I'm interested in them but they aren't games I'm dying to play right now. I can only give so much time to gaming. My focus is on things I want to play, and not just interesting things because it's cheap? That sounds unfair. I don't mean to talk down on the service. I see the value for sure. But I can also see why someone might not.

Yeah, but the best argument for not using Game Pass at this point is a lack of time.

There are plenty of indie titles, third party games and first party games coming to the service each month. I just can't see how someone doesn't see anything to play on the service at all.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
That rumor from spring this year about Microsoft approaching Nintendo to put Game Pass on the Switch via xcloud, their willingness to put the service with their first party titles on competitor's hardware, on PC and pushing xcloud to mobile is going to ensure this happens. I think it's a very bold move that can really pay off, Xbox ends up looking like just another option to reach their service. If Netflix is any indication, it's a bigger market than one would think, and the value to gamers is very clear. We will see if Nintendo or Sony bite on adding the service, but if they get a cut of the revenue via access on their platforms, I think both would be tempted, especially Nintendo, since their version of this program is legacy software to expand the value of their very cheap online service.

I think Microsoft is really the only ones who can pull this service off right now, Amazon doesn't have the exclusive content, Google is showing how ill-prepared they were for their own launch of the service, and Sony is using Microsoft's servers, so the idea that they can compete in pricing is hard to see, not to mention Sony doesn't want to put their first party output on the service in a timely manner. Nintendo has absolutely no aspirations to build their own streaming network and will likely just use Microsoft's (Though I should note that Reggie's recent comments about streaming being the future of gaming is interesting, as he might have formed that opinion over the last 2 years as Nintendo's President of America).

SayemAhmd

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 3, 2019
If VGC is to be believed, who claim that they're at 9.5 million, then anyone else offering this kind of service has some significant catching up to do, it's a great service. The thing that I would say that Gamepass is weaker on is hookups with smaller Japanese developers, would love to see a Falcom game over on Gamepass, but we already know the story with Xbox in Japan. This is where Sony could have an edge, just gotta wait and see how it all shakes out when both of them come out with their full next-gen proposition.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have sub numbers ? Hard to make such a call when we don't have any data about it's performance.

If MS keeps the service as it is right now when they are in top as well it could become something bigger....as of now it's crazy good because they need the positive word of mouth going into next-gen. Without GamePass a large part of the audience wouldn't even consider a Xbox because they invested to heavy into PS4 this gen.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out - but we are still very early in the game.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Is Netflix finally profitable after all these years anyway ?

That being said, Microsoft doesn't have a choice, they won't beat Nintendo / Sony in the hardware segment, a luck they can subsidize Xbox with nearly infinite ressources for as long as they want.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
The problem is, it will take the biggest games such as GTA, COD and FiFA day one to become the netflix of gaming.

Yes we get MS games day one but they only appeal to a small base these days.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass is like the Netflix of games in the sense that there are very few films on Netflix I'd pay to go see in a theater.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
What are your thoughts on this, do you agree?

Mainly that you'll start to see competing services pop up. EA Prime game pass, Ubisoft+ game pass, BattleNetComplete game pass. Game Pass won't become the all encompassing umbrella. Netflix was and it no longer is. More than likely, you'll need to be subscribed to a multitude of services to get access to the games you want to play. Game Pass will be one of them and it would more than likely be focused on indies and MS supported titles.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Game Pass is a really compelling offer... if you don't already have another console. In my case, I've spent this generation with a PS4 and Switch, so I've already played most of the multiplatform games I wanted to. I signed up for Game Pass on PC (streaming, actually, but that's besides the point) to try the Microsoft exclusives I'd missed this generation, and found that Forza Horizon 4 was the only good one.

From that point of view, Game Pass was just a marginally cheaper way to play a single game.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm almost fully convinced that existing solely on Game Pass and a Series X is my primary games consumption approach when next-gen starts. Unless Sony's PS Now service starts doing day 1 availability of first-party games, I just don't think it competes well — I know they've opened up to downloading full games rather than being streaming-only, but alas. The other thing I like about Xbox is that I feel like it adequately covers the vast majority of key titles in all of the Xbox brand's history, and they all play natively off the console itself... So it feels like any actual purchase I make is pretty much future-proofed, and it's a platform I committed to going all-digital eons ago, so it tends to feel like the console equivalent of Steam all-around, on top of having a very, very robust and well-catered subscription service.

I agree with OP. I think if consumers pay attention and maybe don't have an absolutist approach to exclusives as their primary motivator for having a console, it should look like extremely good value. Now, I still intend to own a PlayStation and whatever Nintendo's next-gen offering looks like because I do very much value those exclusives, but I think having an Xbox paired with a Game Pass subscription can cover about 80% of my personal gaming desires, especially if I'm willing to be patient and wait for third party AAA games to appear on the service at a later time.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
You're talking about an entirely different kind of service. PS+ isn't really a service, it's a paywall. You can't use your PS4's internet connection in games without a PS+ subscription. Microsoft's Xbox Live Gold is the same, and also has a similar subscriber base.

Game Pass will NEVER be as big as Live Gold or PS+ because it's not mandatory. Gold and Plus are mandatory subscriptions for most players to play on Xbox or PS4.
GamePass will be bigger than Gold 100%. Gold isn't on PC...and streaming coming to parts of the world where its too expensive to get a PC or console and will rely on GamePass for gaming... That number will dwarf gold. So yes, it will be bigger because it's not confined to a box.

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
What makes you think it's not already in the red? It wasn't exactly cheap to start and certainly isn't to run. Getting in the red isn't just completely kill your software sales on your platform.

If Sony doesn't put their games on the service permanently and shortly after release , then they kill any incentive to continue to subscribe to the service. Like I say, Sony absolutely has not put in a good use case or vision for PS Now. If they don't have a vision for PS Now why continue with the service in the first place? Yes Sony has said that they want to focus more on PS Now, but yet we have not seen much.

Last edited:

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
If Sony doesn't put their games on the service, then they kill any incentive to subscribe to the service. Like I say, Sony absolutely has not put in a good use case or vision for PS Now. If they don't have a vision for PS Now why continue with the service in the first place? Yes Sony has said that they want to focus more on PS Now, but yet we have not seen anything that shows that they are taking it more seriously.
Don't worry, eventually Sony will put their first party there. :)

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Yet you don't know if Gamepass or PS Now is making profit or losses, or how that relates to growth.

Again, PS Now just expanded to most of Europe, got a big price cut, and it has been named as a key layer of the next gen Playstation, so what's missing in comparison? The day one games is the only thing I can think of, and I would bet on that being on the service by year 2 at most.

Also, I'm completely sure that Netflix losing billions of dollars in mostly terrible content just to find a good series/movie is not a good strategy.

Yet Netflix continues to gain millions of users every quarter. If you think 'The Crown' is terrible, I don't know where you're from. The games on Game Pass are certainly not terrible, yet Game Pass is making losses, this is because MS is spending millions and likely billions to get quality content on the service. It's pretty much agreed on the internet that PS Now's content is terrible and like I say it stems from Sony's lack of ambition is making more heavy losses to invest in gaining more quality third parties to the service.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
You must have an extremely specific and niche taste to not be interested in any game currently on the service or upcoming at all.
This is what I was gonna ask.

Gamepass offering is extremely varied and interesting. Hell new games are being released available right off the bat there, such as Gears 5 or The Outer Worlds.

Oct 25, 2017
GamePass will be bigger than Gold 100%. Gold isn't on PC...and streaming coming to parts of the world where its too expensive to get a PC or console and will rely on GamePass for gaming... That number will dwarf gold. So yes, it will be bigger because it's not confined to a box.
Streaming is still a long way away. There aren't many places in the world where hardware is expensive but the internet speed is big enough to handle streaming. It's why Google Stadia is lacking a customer base and it'll be a problem for Xcloud as well.

On PC it's possible, but Microsoft absolutely has to get rid of their ridiculous UWP Windows App idea and just deliver games like all other launchers are doing. Hopefully that's what they are working on during this "beta". Microsoft Store has always been the worst store on PC due to UWP and Game Pass does not change that. Currently more players seem to be buying Halo MCC and AoE2 DE on Steam instead of using GP.

Deleted member 30124

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
For someone with limited time to spend on games, Game Pass is not at all backlog friendly. There are several third party games leaving the service each month.

I prefer the PS Plus/Xbox Live Gold model that lets you add available games to your library each month and lets you play them whenever you want (provided you're subscribed, of course).

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, but perhaps one needs to wait until the price of a subscription stabilizes before jumping to conclusions. Obviously they can't offer it for a dollar forever. Also, has MS actually disclosed how many users the service has?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Good luck with that. The Xbox brand is dead meat outside of the US/UK.

Things can always change. The 360 did quite okay in Europe. And PC gaming is bigger in Europe, so they also have a chance there.

Plus their streaming service is launching in Korea, India and Japan for example. No need for a box.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If Sony doesn't put their games on the service permanently and shortly after release , then they kill any incentive to continue to subscribe to the service. Like I say, Sony absolutely has not put in a good use case or vision for PS Now. If they don't have a vision for PS Now why continue with the service in the first place? Yes Sony has said that they want to focus more on PS Now, but yet we have not seen much.
This has nothing to do with my post.

Also now they don't have a vision for it? What? They've been pretty clear they see it (and game streaming in general for now) as a support/secondary service, not the main thing, they are treating it as such.
Also how shortly after release should 1st party be added? Because if it's a set time every time, might as well just be day 1. And why do they even need to be shortly? Now would still be the only service with their games on, day/month 1 would just significantly damage the overall platform, which isn't what they'll do for a support service. I agree they should be permanent once added though, 3rd parties being for a set period is understandable, 1st party is not.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Streaming is still a long way away. There aren't many places in the world where hardware is expensive but the internet speed is big enough to handle streaming. It's why Google Stadia is lacking a customer base and it'll be a problem for Xcloud as well.

On PC it's possible, but Microsoft absolutely has to get rid of their ridiculous UWP Windows App idea and just deliver games like all other launchers are doing. Hopefully that's what they are working on during this "beta". Microsoft Store has always been the worst store on PC due to UWP and Game Pass does not change that. Currently more players seem to be buying Halo MCC and AoE2 DE on Steam instead of using GP.

They wouldn't buy though they would use Gamepass.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

Streaming is much closer than you think. Stadia is lacking a customer base not because of their technology, more of their business practice. The technology works fine. We don't know who's using MCC or AOE2 on Steam vs. XGP. PC Gamers have been using XGP so.... #shrug.

Also, I would like to note that you said "NEVER"...so even if streaming is a long way away, and PC isn't the best now...that will all change (and has been on the PC side)...Gold aka the mp paywall still gonna go away as this model keeps gaining users anyways.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
People love streaming services because it is easily accessed and they try a whole heap of new stuff, yet they still claim the want 1 game off of the whole of gamepass. Try...something...new?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Netflix for games is such a terrible thing for game developers though, I don't want to see the industry turn to subscription services. It's not sustainable.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Yet Netflix continues to gain millions of users every quarter. If you think 'The Crown' is terrible, I don't know where you're from. The games on Game Pass are certainly not terrible, yet Game Pass is making losses, this is because MS is spending millions and likely billions to get quality content on the service. It's pretty much agreed on the internet that PS Now's content is terrible and like I say it stems from Sony's lack of ambition is making more heavy losses to invest in gaining more quality third parties to the service.
It's cool to read half a sentence and build your argument on top of that, really good conversation.

Let me copy and paste the sentence I wrote again, let see if you can glimpse what you missed:

"Also, I'm completely sure that Netflix losing billions of dollars in mostly terrible content just to find a good series/movie is not a good strategy."

AKA Netflix is losing millions and millions and creating thousands of original series and TV shows just to see what small percentage of that sticks AKA quantity above quality.

You talked about "The Crown", I can tell you "Stranger Things", "House of Cards", etc as other examples of big successes and fucking awesome series, but let me guess, you are not going to bring any shows of this list, for example, right? Or, I don't know, any of these movies below the top 20. And that's because neither you, or anyone, has even heard of them and much less they were a success, because Netflix expends an absurd amount of money in content that is honestly bad and no one will watch, just searching for that new viral thing. That's the only reason Netflix is losing money, not some weird plan to attract more users, it's because they finance a shitton of things, and they gain profit from VERY FEW of them.

And that's just Netflix. HBO had 6 billion$ of profit expending 2 billion in content. They want to expand creating more content, like Netflix, the difference is that they have a margin to do so. if you want to expand, you must expend money, that's not a dark secret or anything, but that does not equal LOSE money.

Also this, cmon:
It's pretty much agreed on the internet that PS Now's content is terrible
lol sorry, I guess I didn't get the memo from Mr. WorldWideWeb about that, I didn't sign the agreement I guess. I won't say PS Now has better content than Gamepass, because that would be a lie, but calling it terrible it's absurd. Mainly because most games in one service is also in the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.