• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I played every KH game except for DDD and I had NO idea what was going on for the majority of the game until I looked up a summary. The BBS stuff wasn't even really relevant until the very end of the game.

The story is still pretty bad though. Confusing and interesting would be one thing, this was confusing and check your phone waiting for the cutscenes to end.

I mean that's kinda your fault. DDD directly leads up to KH 3 and is KH 2's direct sequel.

The main villain is introduced in Birth By Sleep. His motivation is laid out there.

Aqua, who Riku and Mickey are looking for, is a character introduced in Birth By Sleep.

Same with Terra and Ventus who are referenced in the first half of the game.

Vanitas who is the villain of Monsters Inc. is one of the main villains from Birth By Sleep.

And the ending needs you to know Birth By Sleep so you know what the heck is going on.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
That would mean Xion would be tossed aside and never utilized though. Nomura wouldn't do that to Xion, she is too good.

True. Okay, Xion is now the main heroine. Kairi can just stay Sora's lover interest since that's all Nomura thinks she's good for.

D0ePy5gVsAArfgY.jpg

And Aqua is mai waifu.

faced

Dec 17, 2017
I mean that's kinda your fault. DDD directly leads up to KH 3 and is KH 2's direct sequel.

"It's your fault that across the span of 17 years you played a PS2 game, then a GBA game, then a PS2 game, then a DS game, then a PSP game, then a mobile game and you didn't think to play the single 3DS game before playing this PS4 game"

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is because he meant the end of the Xehanort arc/Dark Seeker saga.
No more Xehanort after III. He's done as a villain.
That's a really weird "end of the story arc" in my book considering that the overarching plot part of which Xehanort was (and not even that important part of, if we go by the book of prophecies) is nowhere near to being over and there's a shitload of plot thread left dangling both in the past and in the future after the epilogue. Except for finishing off Xehanort(s), what did KH3 do for the lore of the series?

Oct 28, 2017
And he'll put the next 5 spin off titles on various platforms making it impossible to get the whole story until he puts them all in a collection on PS6 titled "The bullshit continues" collection.

Please don't this again nomura :(

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be cool with it if it's one spinoff of good quality like CoM was between 1 and 2. Hopefully they've learned their lesson, if we get 4-5 more games between KH3 and 4 I will rage probably along with everyone else here lol.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
That's a really weird "end of the story arc" in my book considering that the overarching plot part of which Xehanort was (and not even that important part of, if we go by the book of prophecies) is nowhere near to being over and there's a shitload of plot thread left dangling both in the past and in the future after the epilogue. Except for finishing off Xehanort(s), what did KH3 do for the lore of the series?

You're asking for a clean and conclusive end but Nomura didn't construct the story that way. The lingering plot threads are for the next saga to tackle.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I don't mind this actually, we are past the point where the spin games are trying to do something the hardware can't like CoM and 358. A switch Bbs like game would actually be pretty fun.

Starting axel, kairi and Riku or aqua.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
All the games have been on PS4 for years now so yeah, it kinda is.

0d7fbb3a5405e5c5fd19e2ac2a22d940.png.e701882da11d7a2a458387a066edaff8.png

maxresdefault.jpg

While I get the sentiment, the problem is with how these games are named, and that's how this is bullshit. They need to give things that are clear, important, vital parts of the main narrative names that indicate as much. There's a reason there are 'Star Wars' movies with episode numbers and then 'Star Wars Stories' without; it makes it absolutely clear which is which. When people talk about KH being convoluted, I agree, but it isn't just because of how the narrative is told: it's because of how it's presented, where without googling which games are actually important to the core narrative and the order they come in isn't clear at all.

I'd be really interested in a KH spin-off that's directly disconnected from everything else, perhaps even letting you play a Disney character or something. I totally get what people are saying around main story, though, when they say 'no more stopgaps', because the whole thing is just frustrating.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Please do it Nomura!! I love the videos where they summarize the plot of all KH games and all the nonsense it is, they are very funny.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Nomura jumping into KH4 based on the plot points he set up with the epilogue and secret movie would be really ridiculously jarring, he absolutely needs at least one game to set it up
Does the game need to be on a different platform as well to not be "really ridiculously jarring"?

The Stockholm Syndrome is strong among Nomura fans.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people think it would be a switch exclusive

I highly highly doubt that. It's not like the switch is a DS or something. If they made a KH game for the switch it would have to be a full scale one. Makes absolutely no sense to make it exclusive to the switch

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: System Warring
Why do people think it would be a switch exclusive

I highly highly doubt that. It's not like the switch is a DS or something. If they made a KH game for the switch it would have to be a full scale one. Makes absolutely no sense to make it exclusive to the switch
Uhhhh ... Switch players will take whatever they get. Did you see the Pokemon reveal?

KHuX Remastered that looks like Chain of Memories RE and it'll be well recieved.

Izanu

Nov 6, 2017
United Kingdom
Of two minds here. Would absolutely love to explore and play as the other characters, but having a situation where we wait more than a decade between the mainline titles is just not worth it.

Definitely want more twilight town trio screen time though♥️

Also that tweet about the secret report
of the girl not being Ava?! With Demyx working under Ansem again and Nomura hinting that he'll be back in the dlc, hopefully we'll get info on her sooner rather than later because this'll bug me to no end (and I can not be arsed to wait until the next game to find out).

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever they do with this spin off Nomura needs to start fucking yo the release consoles. Launch it on Switch for all I care but if this game isn't on the PS4 as well I swear to Zeus I'll... post an angry comment on Resetera and curse Square because I can't do much about it.

The number 1, 2 and 3 reasons why I never pursued KH after 2 (until 3) was because I didn't own a DS, or a psp, or a 3DS and when I owned a Vita for some reason they never made BBS available digitally so I couldn't play it there. Yes o know the collections but they released so much later I had given up.

Nothing a couple of 35 minute YouTube summaries couldn't do for me right?

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
Figured they'd do a sidegame inbetween 3 and 4. Chain of Memories while it wasn't supposed to happen originally was one game inbetween 1 and 2 explaining what happened to Sora in the year between the two/why he went to sleep, one and done before KH2 so they'll probably stick to something similar now.

I know a lot of people keep on bringing it up and I am rather curious on what platforms they'll pick (could definitely see a multiplatform game that runs on Switch happening, though it would be a shame to have a visual cutdown again)
I'll be cool with it if it's one spinoff of good quality like CoM was between 1 and 2. Hopefully they've learned their lesson, if we get 4-5 more games between KH3 and 4 I will rage probably along with everyone else here lol.
Yeah I think one's fine (plus we already have the mobile game going) they'd be nuts to do a ton of spin-offs between 3 and 4 and repeat what happened with 2 and 3. It was understandable at the time though, ton of platforms to put stuff on and the main KH team was working on Versus, then plans fell through so the Osaka team had to be geared up to do the next mainline title.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
While I get the sentiment, the problem is with how these games are named, and that's how this is bullshit. They need to give things that are clear, important, vital parts of the main narrative names that indicate as much. There's a reason there are 'Star Wars' movies with episode numbers and then 'Star Wars Stories' without; it makes it absolutely clear which is which. When people talk about KH being convoluted, I agree, but it isn't just because of how the narrative is told: it's because of how it's presented, where without googling which games are actually important to the core narrative and the order they come in isn't clear at all.

I'd be really interested in a KH spin-off that's directly disconnected from everything else, perhaps even letting you play a Disney character or something. I totally get what people are saying around main story, though, when they say 'no more stopgaps', because the whole thing is just frustrating.
I don't even think it's entirely a naming/presentation thing. I think it's convoluted right down to the design decision of how games are structured and what content a given game covers. Even if we were to take the "Star Wars Episodes" and "Star Wars Stories" example, it wouldn't solve the problem that KH wants to tell the story in really stupid ways. Let's just take the earliest example: Chain of Memories. There's no need to argue if it's a mainline or spinoff game or whatever it's classified as.

The fundamental question is: For people to fully enjoy the sequel to Kingdom Hearts, why are they expected to play a card-battle RPG on the GBA? Why are there literally over a dozen brand new characters introduced entirely through such a game, covering a major event that is referred to in KH2 over and over? What purpose does this serve other than confusing people and excluding audiences? Why not just make a game where you played as Riku parallel to KH1 instead, that adds to an experience players already had, instead of being required knowledge for something upcoming?

That's where I think Nomura went off the rails from the start with how he envisioned this franchise. It increasingly raises the barrier of entry to enjoying the silly story he is telling, and he's too far up his own ass to see it.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Kingdom Hearts doesn't do spin offs. And the next one is probably going to be a prequel to explain things in the lead up to KH4

KH does do spin offs gameplay wise though. Story wise, yeah sure they are all connected. But the games vary in playstyle a decent amount, with DDD being the closest to a mainline KH game but still playing quite differently. At the same time, there's stuff like Re:Coded, the mobile game, Chain of Memories and so on that just play very differently from the main series.

Like, they play like spin-offs, look like spin-offs(having smaller budget than mainline games)...but have stories that are vital for understanding the series(well, to varying degrees). Which is neat because, hey, it's fun playing a spin-off but still getting to learn more about the plot(even if the big resolutions don't happen until the numbered games). But it also kind of sucks because sometimes it feels like playing a game you legit hate playing because you want to keep up with the plot of a series that you bought into because it played differently.

I mean I sure as hell didn't play through 358/2 for the gameplay. It was nearly an obligation because I was way too deep in that rabbit hole not to go for the full story but goddamn it I hated the actual game part of it. Fortunately there's a movie of it now though.

But that's why I can't really say with a straight face that KH doesn't do spin offs. Like, the games are absolutely spin offs in terms of how they play...they just happen to still follow the same overarching plot. In fairness, this depends on whether your definition of spin-off is only gameplay related or story related. I think the gameplay differences are enough for them to be spin-offs, to be honest.

I still like the series but man I hate the way it tells its story. I mean I'll keep playing through everything because hey I'm way too deep to quit now but maaaaan the way it tells stories across games is not super great.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the pokemon reveal? what about it?
Visually its not a full scale improvement over the handheld versions. I think if KHuX was 3D and looked similar to the World Ends With You Remix people would be happy with it on Switch despite the major hardware improvements. & If it was a new title I don't think it has to look as good as KH3 to be well recieved just based on what I've seen from bigger franchises coming on Switch.

faced

Dec 17, 2017
All the games have been on PS4 for years now so yeah, it kinda is.

0d7fbb3a5405e5c5fd19e2ac2a22d940.png.e701882da11d7a2a458387a066edaff8.png

maxresdefault.jpg
Oh my bad, How could I miss that the reasonably named "Kingdom Hearts II.8" contained new content which wasn't in "Kingdom Hearts I.5+II.5"

Honestly it's not even worth playing 8 games of content to play KH3 anyway, because the story doesn't really deserve it! That's the silly part! People are acting like oh well you didn't play 300 hours of game, some of which is pretty bad, to understand the 6 hours of story in this game that are not just clip episodes of popular disney movies with goofy saying "Gawrsh" in the background.

It's not a well written game

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Visually its not a full scale improvement over the handheld versions. I think if KHuX was 3D and looked similar to the World Ends With You Remix people would be happy with it on Switch despite the major hardware improvements. & If it was a new title I don't think it has to look as good as KH3 to be well recieved just based on what I've seen from bigger franchises coming on Switch.
tenor.gif

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mmkay, so do y'all have genuine rebuttals or

Didn't say it wasn't great just saying it clearly wasn't a full scale thing. We don't have to get into it, but KH Switch can look pretty much however is what I'm saying.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Oh my bad, How could I miss that the reasonably named "Kingdom Hearts II.8" contained new content which wasn't in "Kingdom Hearts I.5+II.5"

Honestly it's not even worth playing 8 games of content to play KH3 anyway, because the story doesn't really deserve it! That's the silly part! People are acting like oh well you didn't play 300 hours of game, some of which is pretty bad, to understand the 6 hours of story in this game that are not just clip episodes of popular disney movies with goofy saying "Gawrsh" in the background.

I mean a quick wikipedia search or asking the KH thread will tell you everything that you needed to know about what games you needed to play.

They're good games in of themselves but don't complain that you don't understand the story if you're explicitly skipping games. Go play those games/watch the cutscenes and then more people can take your criticism seriously.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As others have said, people who have played the games are informed enough to critique the story. Those that haven't but do anyway are just trolling.

faced

Dec 17, 2017
I mean a quick wikipedia search or asking the KH thread will tell you everything that you needed to know about what games you needed to play.

They're good games in of themselves but don't complain that you don't understand the story if you're explicitly skipping games. Go play those games/watch the cutscenes and then more people can take your criticism seriously.

I went back and watched DDD's cutscenes after starting the game and being confused to give myself more context, right around I finished Toy Story.

I still think KH3 is a very poorly told story. This is not trolling or anything, I spent $60 on launch day to play a game I was pretty excited about and was very disappointed. I still think it's insane you can be following a series regularly since 2003 and then have people tell you you aren't informed enough to give an opinion of a game.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
to clear trolling? not really
you didn't expect an actual discussion when you said "switch players will take whatever they get ", did you?
I mean third party support on Switch is in dire straits, I stand by what I said. New consoles are coming in soon, at a time when Switch doesn't even get modest ports on time. How is any Switch owner going to seriously hold SquareEnix to the fire?

My original point: It can come out looking like an upres KHuX.. am I wrong or right?

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

Speaking as someone who loves the series...I can't in good conscience say they are all good games. Many of them are a chore to play through, and especially the early spin-offs suffer from making people replay KH1's worlds again and again and again to the point of mind numbing boredom. Chain of Memories(a game I adore) suffers a lot from having most of its gametime be more or less filler. You go through the same disney worlds as KH1, with the same plot(or less) and they're basically just...window dressing between scenes with the actual plot.

Then we get to Re:Coded and like...man, again we're going through KH1. It's kind of a chore to get through it.

358/2 barely has any worlds and generally not a lot of story in them, just busy work(with not particularly great gameplay) until we get legit good plot in between them. Like the 358/2 movie is honestly a pretty good way of experiencing that story and I super recommend it to people over the actual game.

It gets a lot better once we get to BbS and DDD because even if you dislike the games, they don't rehash content from earlier games so at the very least they don't induce the same "been there" feeling that earlier side games did. We have original plots, original disney worlds, and they are decently paced. But I can't with a straight face tell someone "Yeah you won't be bored out of your mind going through the same Disney Worlds like three or four times, with little to no difference in them, as busywork while you get to the actual plot." The early spin-offs were very tiresome in that regard, in my opinion.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
As others have said, people who have played the games are informed enough to critique the story. Those that haven't but do anyway are just trolling.

This is an absolutely ridiculous sentiment because it asserts that anybody who hasn't played the games prior has no right to make any comment other than a positive one lest it's 'trolling'. Kingdom Hearts 3 is, when push comes to shove, a Disney game, and there will be younger people who weren't even playing video games when KH1 and KH2 came out who might be tempted to pick it up because Big Hero Six or Tangled are in the advertising for it. This is the same fringe audience that made KH1 such a hit, incidentally - it wasn't just the FF audience buying it, but the FF audience combined with a demographic who never usually would buy this type of game, but did because Disney.

Anyway, telling that audience they need to play eight other games first is ridiculous, and if that's really the case, that's a failing. Even Mass Effect, a complicated narrative-driven series where your saves actively carry over, took massive steps each game to ensure newcomers wouldn't be alienated. There is no excuse. In this instance, it's totally possible to find a balance.

KH2 found that balance fairly well, I think, btw. The Roxas stuff in the opening is surprisingly deft, because it at once is feeding intriguing information to those who did play COM, while those who played KH1 but skipped it are left curious about what's going on and where Sora is - and finally, for newcomers, the Roxas section acts as a leisurely-paced tutorial, as Destiny Islands did. It has a triple purpose, it's very cleverly designed. KH3 just has no idea tho.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Speaking as someone who loves the series...I can't in good conscience say they are all good games. Many of them are a chore to play through, and especially the early spin-offs suffer from making people replay KH1's worlds again and again and again to the point of mind numbing boredom. Chain of Memories(a game I adore) suffers a lot from having most of its gametime be more or less filler. You go through the same disney worlds as KH1, with the same plot(or less) and they're basically just...window dressing between scenes with the actual plot.

Then we get to Re:Coded and like...man, again we're going through KH1. It's kind of a chore to get through it.

358/2 barely has any worlds and generally not a lot of story in them, just busy work(with not particularly great gameplay) until we get legit good plot in between them. Like the 358/2 movie is honestly a pretty good way of experiencing that story and I super recommend it to people over the actual game.

It gets a lot better once we get to BbS and DDD because even if you dislike the games, they don't rehash content from earlier games so at the very least they don't induce the same "been there" feeling that earlier side games did. We have original plots, original disney worlds, and they are decently paced. But I can't with a straight face tell someone "Yeah you won't be bored out of your mind going through the same Disney Worlds like three or four times, with little to no difference in them, as busywork while you get to the actual plot." The early spin-offs were very tiresome in that regard, in my opinion.

I wasn't including Re: Coded or 358 Days as games because they're movies in the collections which is what I was talking about (the games in the collection).

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Did people really just expect it to go straight to KH4?