• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I guess the biggest problem is that these games aren't appealing to such a wide audience, that it can collect awards like the mentioned games here. The situation is a tad similar for Persona. The franchise can be big, I mean, really big if it had various subtitle languages. Don't think that english here in europe is a given skill when it comes to second language.

With the new debate about "How difficult and punishing can a game be?", I don't see much of a chance that Sekiro will be more than a nominee at, as an example, The Game Awards. Good chance I'm wrong, of course. But I don't think From Software cares. It's like with Haruki Murakami and the Nobel Prize for literature.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
No, DiCaprio is actually good and can be enjoyed by a wide audience. From Software is only acceptable to those willing to put up with their ridiculous difficulty standards.

giphy.gif

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Era's bizarre hard-on for From Software will literally never cease to amaze me, and I say that as someone who loves Bloodborne.
No, every single time, they were beaten by more deserving games that managed to speak to and be resonant to a lot more people, regardless of your personal perceptions of their quality, I think the only exception is maybe Dark Souls 3.

Uncharted 2 deserved to beat Demon's Souls
Skyrim deserved to beat Dark Souls
Dragon Age Inquisition I'm not too hot on, but it's clear it caught the zeitgeist of its year like Dark Souls 2 did not
The Witcher 3 absolutely deserved to have beaten Bloodborne, much as I adore Bloodborne, and think it runs circles around The Witcher 3.

Uncharted 2 and Skyrim started legitimate paradigm shifts in the industry. Uncharted 2 started the walk towards cinematic interactivity that we still see to this day. Skyrim started the present day shift to open world gaming, and has been cited by developers as storied as Square Enix, Capcom, Kojima, CD Projekt RED, BioWare, and fucking Nintendo, who never acknowledge external influences, as an influence on their games. The Witcher 3 is one of the most lauded games of all time, and the modern day Final Fantasy 7, even if I think Bloodborne is a better designed game, TW3 very clearly struck a chord with more people.

A lot of From fans need to get over themselves in all their bullshit elitism. No, you don't know better than anyone else, and the people who voted for Skyrim or The Witcher 3's opinions are every bit as valid as yours are, except theirs are backed by sheer numbers, which clearly bothers you all which is probably what leads to this necessity for validation for From games, and your love for them.

From games are amazing. It's okay if they don't win awards, they're still great.

giphy.gif

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The only one thats truly screwed up is uncharted 2 over demon's souls. What a crock of shit.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I cant believe people actually put Skyrim and Dark souls on the same level, Dark souls is better in every way most importantly gameplay, art and world. Skyrim only has better music and scope. Darksouls was a game design revolution and a masterpiece that still holds up unlike Skyrim.

Oct 26, 2017
The only one thats truly screwed up is uncharted 2 over demon's souls. What a crock of shit.
It's arguably the more influential game and far more people care about it. That doesn't make it a better game, mind you. A lot of amazing games don't win a lot or even any awards but it's not exactly weird that it beat it out

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Darksouls was a game design revolution and a masterpiece that still holds up unlike Skyrim.
The modern systemic open world design philosophy exists because of Skyrim.

This is not an argument against Dark Souls, by the way, I'm just saying it's foolish to suggest that Skyrim wasn't a "game design revolution" or that it doesn't hold up.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cant believe people actually put Skyrim and Dark souls on the same level, Dark souls is better in every way most importantly gameplay, art and world. Skyrim only has better music and scope. Darksouls was a game design revolution and a masterpiece that still holds up unlike Skyrim.
How about, no, that's what you think.
Skyrim has the superior world, it has superior art, it has superior music, it is mechanically and systemically dense, and Skyrim was also every bit the revolution in game design that Dark Souls is given that the modern open world game rush owes itself entirely to Skyrim, and that developers as storied as Square Enix, Capcom, Kojima, CD Projekt RED, BioWare, and fucking Nintendo, have all cited it as an influence.
Dark Souls is great, but Skyrim absolutely deserves those awards and accolades.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The modern systemic open world design philosophy exists because of Skyrim.

This is not an argument against Dark Souls, by the way, I'm just saying it's foolish to suggest that Skyrim wasn't a "game design revolution" or that it doesn't hold up.
It's fascinating how much the Era bubble manages to convince itself of its own bullshit sometimes. To actually insinuate that Skyrim of all games didn't have an influence on the gaming landscape boggles the mind.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
How about, no, that's what you think.
Skyrim has the superior world, it has superior art, it has superior music, it is mechanically and systemically dense, and Skyrim was also every bit the revolution in game design that Dark Souls is given that the modern open world game rush owes itself entirely to Skyrim, and that developers as storied as Square Enix, Capcom, Kojima, CD Projekt RED, BioWare, and fucking Nintendo, have all cited it as an influence.
Dark Souls is great, but Skyrim absolutely deserves those awards and accolades.
Its gameplay is not great (more so the melee) and even if they are both very much high fantasy Darksouls has way more of an artistic identity, you just need to look at Gaping Dragon, Seath or Kalameet and compare them to Skyrim dragons to see how much more interesting the designs are and that applies to everything in the game.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Era's bizarre hard-on for From Software will literally never cease to amaze me, and I say that as someone who loves Bloodborne.
No, every single time, they were beaten by more deserving games that managed to speak to and be resonant to a lot more people, regardless of your personal perceptions of their quality, I think the only exception is maybe Dark Souls 3.

Dragon Age Inquisition I'm not too hot on, but it's clear it caught the zeitgeist of its year like Dark Souls 2 did not
The Witcher 3 absolutely deserved to have beaten Bloodborne, much as I adore Bloodborne, and think it runs circles around The Witcher 3.

Uncharted 2 and Skyrim started legitimate paradigm shifts in the industry. Uncharted 2 started the walk towards cinematic interactivity that we still see to this day. Skyrim started the present day shift to open world gaming, and has been cited by developers as storied as Square Enix, Capcom, Kojima, CD Projekt RED, BioWare, and fucking Nintendo, who never acknowledge external influences, as an influence on their games. The Witcher 3 is one of the most lauded games of all time, and the modern day Final Fantasy 7, even if I think Bloodborne is a better designed game, TW3 very clearly struck a chord with more people.

A lot of From fans need to get over themselves in all their bullshit elitism. No, you don't know better than anyone else, and the people who voted for Skyrim or The Witcher 3's opinions are every bit as valid as yours are, except theirs are backed by sheer numbers, which clearly bothers you all which is probably what leads to this necessity for validation for From games, and your love for them.

From games are amazing. It's okay if they don't win awards, they're still great.

I agree with your post, but i want to add that it's not just From fans, instead, there is a group of gamers out there who dislike or simply love to downplay and criticise Western or cinematic games in general. Some will ignorantly imply high production values or good visuals is all you need to win awards, completely failing to comprehend anything beyond their limited understanding of what constitutes as good gameplay, or makes a game engaging, enjoyable or fun, along with some of the things you've outlined in your post that seperate some of these games in particular.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its gameplay is not great (more so the melee) and even if they are both very much high fantasy Darksouls has way more of an artistic identity, you just need to look at Gaping Dragon, Seath or Kalameet and compare them to Skyrim dragons to see how much more interesting the designs are and that applies to everything in the game.
On the other hand, you need to look at the strong Nordic flair and flavor in Skyrim's world and cities to see just why its artstyle caught on so much.
Gameplay I fully agree Dark Souls was better at, but you know what, if someone came to me and told me they prefer to play Skyrim over Dark Souls, I would totally get it and empathize with them.
In the end, Skyrim was a blinding light in terms of its impact on game design; other games wish they had as long lasting effects as Skyrim does. It rightly won the GotY awards that year.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with your post, but i want to add that it's not just From fans, instead, there is a group of gamers out there who dislike or simply love to downplay and criticise Western or cinematic games in general. Some will ignorantly imply high production values or good visuals is all you need to win awards, completely failing to comprehend anything beyond their limited understanding of what constitutes as good gameplay, or makes a game engaging, enjoyable or fun, along with some of the things you've outlined in your post that seperate some of these games in particular.
I do agree, there's this general assumption that western games are not as mechanically accomplished as their Japanese counterparts; for what it's worth, I personally agree with it, but I have the good grace to not go around spouting my opinion regarding this as an unassailable fact, and then get salty and bitter when the masses don't agree with me.
But in this particular case, and in general, I don't think I have seen a community as shrill and obnoxious as From fans have gotten over the last few years. Again, as someone who has nothing but the deepest of appreciation for their school of design.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro isnt going to win GOTY this year either but this is a super packed year for games.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sekiro won't win a whole lot, but it's gonna get a lot of recognition over time.

From Software fans will end up with a crazy reputation eventually.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Paul Thomas Anderson is a better comparison to Miyazaki IMO. There Will Be Blood = Bloodborne. Arguably the best film in the last 15-20 years. An absolute travesty it didn't win Best Picture.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

GqT1.gif

Thank you.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly never thought I'd see so many in 2019 (not 2010 or 2012) arguing the likes of Uncharted 2 or Skyrim are in any way shape or form superior or more significant than Demon's Souls & Dark Souls, but live and learn I guess.

I mean From fans are whatever, but From closet haters (I love Dark Souls but.. ) are waay crazier lol.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I think 2016 was the nail in coffin in regards to me giving a damn about GOTY awards. Dark Souls 3, while a fantastic game, had tremendous competition that year.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly never thought I'd see so many in 2019 (not 2010 or 2012) arguing the likes of Uncharted 2 or Skyrim are in any way shape or form superior or more significant than Demon's Souls & Dark Souls, but live and learn I guess.

I mean From fans are whatever, but From closet haters (I love Dark Souls but.. ) are waay crazier lol.
Uncharted 2 was by far the most praised game in its year. Skyrim was basically the gate opener for open world RPGs over the next years.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I could see where this might be the case in a lot of fans eyes. As an appreciator of the Souls games the fact that "Souls like" "It's like the Dark Souls of _____" and other things exist so commonly in the nerdy vernacular should be a testament to how much effect they have on the industry. Even now with Sekiro spawning so many articles and stuff surrounding it.

That being said while there are some "Oscar Bait" at times with certain GOTY awards I'd argue that most of the time the game that is most accessible and most popular across a spectrum wins, and honestly isn't a bad thing.

Souls games, despite its impact on the medium, still feels more like a niche title to me, no matter how much it sells, due to their mechanics and gameplay designs, but I would argue there's a strong case to be made to give Bloodborne (or the original Souls) at the very least some kind of recognition for cultural impact on gaming.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Skyrim is absolutely a better game than Dark Souls. It appears most people agree.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that new Star Wars game from Respawn hits I bet that'll snap up quite a lot of GOTY awards.