• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
I kinda found all those games except dragon age inquisition (i didnt like dark souls 2 either) and witcher 3(didnt play bloodborne so cant decide, also i didnt like witcher 3) better than from's titles in their respective years.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
In terms of overall GOTY awards:

Demon's Souls was beaten by Uncharted 2
Dark Souls was beaten by Skyrim
Dark Souls 2 was beaten by Dragon Age: Inquisition
Bloodborne was rightly beaten by The Witcher 3
Dark Souls 3 was beaten by Uncharted 4

Is 2019 the year of Sekiro? I would say yes... unless TLOU2 is released this year.
I don't think any of those games deserved to win game if the year personally. They are good games, but they weren't the best in those years.

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Bloodborne beat out W3, though?

At any rate, all of the FROM games are still discussed more and generally held in higher esteem than their contemporaries. It's almost as though GOTY awards don't matter. 🤔
Not in terms of overall GotY awards

On forums like here? Absolutely. Elsewhere, plenty of their contemporaries are discussed as, if not more, often and held in just as high as a regard

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I also don't see Sekiro winning the goty. Like From's previous games, it will get some nominations and awards, but ultimately won't be voted the goty. We're almost midway in the year, but I think re2 will be the primary contender for many. However, I'm not sure if horror games usually win goty

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought Bloodborne beat out W3, though?

At any rate, all of the FROM games are still discussed more and generally held in higher esteem than their contemporaries. It's almost as though GOTY awards don't matter. 🤔

If you step out of the isolated Era bubble, I think you'll find that isn't the case. As much as I love From titles, I find some of the other games on the list more enjoyable (and more replayable), and going by sales and other public voting at the majority of outlets, it seems most gamers did too.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Once a heartthrob , now rapidly aging badly?

Yes, at 44 he practically looks ancient...
Leonardo-DiCaprio.jpg

It's almost like they don't use a ton of makeup in movies or anything, and what you see on the screen or magazine covers is exactly how they normally look in everyday life. At worst, he's slowly turning into Jack Nicholson.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Is 2019 the year of Sekiro? I would say yes... unless TLOU2 is released this year.

Skyrim beat Dark Souls and The Witcher 3 beating Bloodborne, two games with bottom tier game play.. Clearly they must be going off those games having way more dialogue, because game play, graphics and aesthetics are not even close.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
They're not Blockbuster enough. Once from is given $100 Million, 100 more employees, and 6 years to make a big open world game with le pretty graphics then they'll win a "consensus" GOTY.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
I mean..even the dlc of Witcher 3 beat Dark Souls 3 in 2016 in best rpg category. I doubt FROM is ever going to get it unless no other 'huge' title comes out that year.
Not that it matters, their games are literally the reason I play video games right now lol. I treat every game as your normal dinner and whenever a FROM game comes out that's like a dessert to me.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim beat Dark Souls and The Witcher 3 beating Bloodborne, two games with bottom tier game play.. Clearly they must be going off those games having way more dialogue, because game play, graphics and aesthetics are not even close.

Aesthetic I can give you since that's subjective (but is also the reason why I wouldn't go around acting like it's a fact). But graphics? Taking into account how well a game runs (I do), graphics are not From's specialty.

Oct 29, 2017
Nothing against From Software but the adulation around here rises to the level of parody. I guess it's an article of faith that there couldn't just be a better game in any given year than whatever From Software put out.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Aesthetic I can give you since that's subjective (but is also the reason why I wouldn't go around acting like it's a fact). But graphics? Taking into account how well a game runs (I do), graphics are not From's specialty.

I have all of the games. Skyrim is the ugliest of the group by a landslide. Witcher 3 looks great on the PS4 but I prefer Blooborne's visuals. So I should correct my stance, visuals are close for Witcher 3 and Blooborne, just very different styles. Gameplay I stand by that The Witcher 3 and Skyrim are not close at all to how good Dark Souls and Bloodborne feel. Now if you want to go with dialogue and side quests then the opposite is true.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Imo From Software was unlucky in the years with Dark Souls and Bloodborne, but the rest were imo not really GOTY material. Can't comment on Demon souls didn't play it.

Last edited:

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Well a good portion of folks can't play their games. The games you listed were hugely popular and far more accessible

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Only Bloodborne was worthy of GOTY honors, with DS coming close but it's last sections are so bad as to take it out of contention.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Darksouls 1/3 and Bloodborne are GOAT but to be GOTY you need to be a game for everyone. Fromsoft doesnt make games for everyone.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I agree that their games were far far better (even DkS II) that the games that won the GOTY the respective years, but I also think that if I search for every year's release list I'll find most of the years some game that I liked more than FROM's game.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I'm probably in the minority but DMC5 might be my fav so far over Sekiro. It's a tough choice though because both are awesome.

funny they (aka FROM's games) don't get nominated. Bloodborne was so great it was probably my personal favorite.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Demon's Souls = Uncharted 2
Dark Souls > Skyrim
Dark Souls 2 not sure , was pretty lame but 2014 was a quiet year
Bloodbourne > The Witcher 3
Dark Souls 3 > Uncharted 4

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
I am a HUGE fan of the Soul series and Bloodborne. I think Dark Souls 2 was horrible, the only good thing about it was PvP otherwise it was a disappointment for me and a downgrade.

Dark Souls 3 and Bloodbrone are the best in the series. Sekiro is very good too, but I do not like the whole East Asian setting is not really for me, still a great game nonetheless imo. We gave Sekiro a 10/10. Bloodborne and Super Mario Galaxy are my GOTGs lol the 2 polar opposites.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its a tepid cinematic corridor shooter

It has a wider appeal than a semi-hard rpg

Corridor shooter and Uncharted 4 don't really mix lol. Some of the combat arenas are arguably among the largest, most open, layered and complex in the genre.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Souls is a great game, but no chance against Uncharted 2 one of the greatest of all time.
Dark Souls is much better than Skyrim, but I do not know if it's the best in the same year as Batman Arkham City, Portal 2 and Uncharted 3.
I did not play Dragon Age Inquisition, but Dark Souls 2 is weak, even though 2014 has been a weak year, it still does not deserve any GOTY awards.
Bloodborne is one of the best games of the generation, but The Witcher 3 deserved it, it's on the same level and I remember having liked it more in 2015, but I never played it again, while Bloodborne has grown in me over the years and especially after platinum . My GOTY 2015 was Metal Gear Solid V, but all very close.
Dark Souls 3 I played for the first time last year, just like whole trilogy, I really liked it, probably my favorite, but Uncharted 4 is undoubtedly the GOTY.
I'm playing Sekiro, enjoying it a lot, but so far I don't hold a candle for Bloodborne. Resident Evil 2 for now is the best game of the year for me without doubts, I also doubt that Sekiro is GOTY even if The Last of Us Part 2 is not released.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Skyrim was the best game released in its year. Dark Souls wasn't robbed at all.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
so is Rockstar the Clint Eastwood of gaming then?

themes are generally focused on masculinity, maybe even right wingish, but people still love and admire their work. Same as Eastwood?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
So like DiCaprio, will they eventually earn a GOTY for the one game they actually don't deserve it for?

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the only game there that I didn't like more than FROMs offering was Dragon Age, many people obviously feel the same. I've never really felt their games were that enjoyable anyway so there you go....

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Castlevania Circle of the Moon is the original Dark Souls experience on a portable years before and didn't get GOTY either
images

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I don't know about that, or at least I'm not sure it's better in every way at least. As much as Dark Souls 2 was a letdown coming off of the previous two games, I put just over 275 hours into it. Sekiro got two playthroughs, and I'm not sure when or if I will ever return to it. Great game overall, but not flawless and actually lacking quite a bit in some areas.

But anyway, most years where FROM has released a game since 2009, a game from them has usually been my personal GOTY, or tied.

No they don't. Or at least they don't need to for their respective genres.

Totally true, but he already won multiple times previously in the eyes of many, so this seemed more like a consolation win than anything. His win wasn't undeserved, it was just not the right film to award him for. Johnny Depp is another actor that comes to mind in this category as well.

I certainly don't think DS2 is a bad game but it is the only Souls where I started to get some real fatigue by the end. It also probably led to why Bloodborne was so incredible to me because it felt so refreshing and cohesive. Sekiro is a bit all over the place for me

Oct 25, 2017
And why do we give a shit about these "GOTY" winners again? I see that Inquisition won and fucking lmao.

It seems like you need extreme mass appeal to win, and no thanks, none of those winners seem that interesting or great to me.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada

I'm actually stunned. I think their games are among the best of all time, not just in a given year or generation. I'm amazed they haven't picked up even 1 award, for Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Dragon Age winning makes me want to puke.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Era's bizarre hard-on for From Software will literally never cease to amaze me, and I say that as someone who loves Bloodborne.
No, every single time, they were beaten by more deserving games that managed to speak to and be resonant to a lot more people, regardless of your personal perceptions of their quality, I think the only exception is maybe Dark Souls 3.

Uncharted 2 deserved to beat Demon's Souls
Skyrim deserved to beat Dark Souls
Dragon Age Inquisition I'm not too hot on, but it's clear it caught the zeitgeist of its year like Dark Souls 2 did not
The Witcher 3 absolutely deserved to have beaten Bloodborne, much as I adore Bloodborne, and think it runs circles around The Witcher 3.

Uncharted 2 and Skyrim started legitimate paradigm shifts in the industry. Uncharted 2 started the walk towards cinematic interactivity that we still see to this day. Skyrim started the present day shift to open world gaming, and has been cited by developers as storied as Square Enix, Capcom, Kojima, CD Projekt RED, BioWare, and fucking Nintendo, who never acknowledge external influences, as an influence on their games. The Witcher 3 is one of the most lauded games of all time, and the modern day Final Fantasy 7, even if I think Bloodborne is a better designed game, TW3 very clearly struck a chord with more people.

A lot of From fans need to get over themselves in all their bullshit elitism. No, you don't know better than anyone else, and the people who voted for Skyrim or The Witcher 3's opinions are every bit as valid as yours are, except theirs are backed by sheer numbers, which clearly bothers you all which is probably what leads to this necessity for validation for From games, and your love for them.

From games are amazing. It's okay if they don't win awards, they're still great.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Era's bizarre hard-on for From Software will literally never cease to amaze me, and I say that as someone who loves Bloodborne.
No, every single time, they were beaten by more deserving games that managed to speak to and be resonant to a lot more people, regardless of your personal perceptions of their quality, I think the only exception is maybe Dark Souls 3.

Uncharted 2 deserved to beat Demon's Souls
Skyrim deserved to beat Dark Souls
Dragon Age Inquisition I'm not too hot on, but it's clear it caught the zeitgeist of its year like Dark Souls 2 did not
The Witcher 3 absolutely deserved to have beaten Bloodborne, much as I adore Bloodborne, and think it runs circles around The Witcher 3.

Uncharted 2 and Skyrim started legitimate paradigm shifts in the industry. Uncharted 2 started the walk towards cinematic interactivity that we still see to this day. Skyrim started the present day shift to open world gaming, and has been cited by developers as storied as Square Enix, Capcom, Kojima, CD Projekt RED, BioWare, and fucking Nintendo, who never acknowledge external influences, as an influence on their games. The Witcher 3 is one of the most lauded games of all time, and the modern day Final Fantasy 7, even if I think Bloodborne is a better designed game, TW3 very clearly struck a chord with more people.

A lot of From fans need to get over themselves in all their bullshit elitism. No, you don't know better than anyone else, and the people who voted for Skyrim or The Witcher 3's opinions are every bit as valid as yours are, except theirs are backed by sheer numbers, which clearly bothers you all which is probably what leads to this necessity for validation for From games, and your love for them.

From games are amazing. It's okay if they don't win awards, they're still great.
Damn