• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aedan22

May 26, 2020
Hello to everybody! This is my first post on Resetera, but I have followed/stalked this topic for quite some time now. May I say it is a privilege to be among such a fine gentlemen such as yourselves, with such a fine taste in gaming.

I am also relatively new on soulsborne genre, I started playing Bloodborne aprox 2 years ago, and got hooked up like a junkie. That game baffled me. Maybe it was the fact that I didn't know much about it before I started so I was surprised on every step. Also I never seen or heard anything about environmental story telling before BB, so that aspect was amazing experience and also a surprise. I ended up reading that fan made lore book that is about 100 pages, that one guy put it on reddit. Amazing stuff. Also Sekiro was pure joy. I am a gamer for about 17-18 years and a lot of things got boring to me, but From Software and Miyazaki delievered to me one great breath of fresh air.

On the fantasy front I am not that new, I red A Song of Ice and Fire in 2008., and waited till 2011. for Dance with Dragons. Now I wait for Winds of Winter for almost 9 years, and I red all those books several times so far. So waiting for Elden Ring is not that bad, but I am gonna tell you why I am so excited for GRRM - Miyazaki collaboration. GRR Martin is not only a great writer of current plot (or present plot), he is an absolute master of writing background lore, events, mythos. He has this ability to make past events on such an epic scale. The way he imagined and showed Targaryens, Blackfyres, Starks, Valyria and its doom, and all other locations and events, it is astonishing. I believe Miyazaki made a great choice, and GRRM will deliver. As I understand it, Martin will do precisely that background lore, and I cant be happier for it.

So anyway, I also wanted to say thanks to everybody here who made this topic such a cool place, and particularly to Omni who made this waiting a little easier. Thank you man.

P.S. I saw that there are several individuals here who want to read more fantasy, I will highly recommend Stormlight Archive series from Brandon Sanderson, and also First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie (and every other book from First Law world). Those two writers are definitely my favourite writers beside GRRM.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
Hello to everybody! This is my first post on Resetera, but I have followed/stalked this topic for quite some time now. May I say it is a privilege to be among such a fine gentlemen such as yourselves, with such a fine taste in gaming.

I am also relatively new on soulsborne genre, I started playing Bloodborne aprox 2 years ago, and got hooked up like a junkie. That game baffled me. Maybe it was the fact that I didn't know much about it before I started so I was surprised on every step. Also I never seen or heard anything about environmental story telling before BB, so that aspect was amazing experience and also a surprise. I ended up reading that fan made lore book that is about 100 pages, that one guy put it on reddit. Amazing stuff. Also Sekiro was pure joy. I am a gamer for about 17-18 years and a lot of things got boring to me, but From Software and Miyazaki delievered to me one great breath of fresh air.

On the fantasy front I am not that new, I red A Song of Ice and Fire in 2008., and waited till 2011. for Dance with Dragons. Now I wait for Winds of Winter for almost 9 years, and I red all those books several times so far. So waiting for Elden Ring is not that bad, but I am gonna tell you why I am so excited for GRRM - Miyazaki collaboration. GRR Martin is not only a great writer of current plot (or present plot), he is an absolute master of writing background lore, events, mythos. He has this ability to make past events on such an epic scale. The way he imagined and showed Targaryens, Blackfyres, Starks, Valyria and its doom, and all other locations and events, it is astonishing. I believe Miyazaki made a great choice, and GRRM will deliver. As I understand it, Martin will do precisely that background lore, and I cant be happier for it.

So anyway, I also wanted to say thanks to everybody here who made this topic such a cool place, and particularly to Omni who made this waiting a little easier. Thank you man.

P.S. I saw that there are several individuals here who want to read more fantasy, I will highly recommend Stormlight Archive series from Brandon Sanderson, and also First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie (and every other book from First Law world). Those two writers are definitely my favourite writers beside GRRM.
Welcome on board !

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I'm playing Nioh 2 recently and I have to say they have made quite some smart tweaks from the first installment. It's definitely more fun and less frustrating.

I still have a good bunch of gripes with the series but it will keep me occupied for a while in the Elden Ring info drought.

And Aedan22 welcome to Hollownest.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
This is a new post from the yesterday Neogaf insider :

"So... I found out that the almost nothing I shared yesterday showed up on reddit with fake insider drama, ironic since drama was the main reason i left the gaming business in the first place. I forgot GAF > internet > GAF.
I'm not an insider nor I want to be.
The info i get is third hand and often outdated. I have no way to confirm anything and neither does my friend anymore, since he no longer works there. I have no idea who he keeps in contact with there or the level of their relationship, he might have been fed BS and they are probably laughing at him now for all i know.
But between the silence of Namco/From and his info, I'll take his info since it's the info I can get closer to the devs/pubs.
Whoever has more reliable info, even if it completely contradicts his, is more than welcome to share it, I have no desire to mislead or give false hopes to anyone."

I dont know what you think but to me seems worth to take his posts in considerstion. He surely speaks really different than usual fake leakers who claims to know the exact number of trees in the game 2 years before release . Why someone should get attention by posting such things in a Gaf thread with just a bunch of people ? Honestly this message is more closer to something that Omni could write than something a clown writes on reddit for attention.
I know I should not get my hopes for a random post but ... man if by a chance this game is really coming out in Fall 2020 🤯

Muntaner

May 12, 2018

"So... I found out that the almost nothing I shared yesterday showed up on reddit with fake insider drama, ironic since drama was the main reason i left the gaming business in the first place. I forgot GAF > internet > GAF.
The info i get is third hand and often outdated. I have no way to confirm anything and neither does my friend anymore, since he no longer works there. I have no idea who he keeps in contact with there or the level of their relationship, he might have been fed BS and they are probably laughing at him now for all i know.
But between the silence of Namco/From and his info, I'll take his info since it's the info I can get closer to the devs/pubs.
Whoever has more reliable info, even if it completely contradicts his, is more than welcome to share it, I have no desire to mislead or give false hopes to anyone."

I dont know what you think but to me seems worth to take his posts in considerstion. He surely speaks really different than usual fake leakers who claims to know the exact number of trees in the game 2 years before release . Why someone should get attention by posting such things in a Gaf thread with just a bunch of people ? Honestly this message is more closer to something that Omni could write than something a clown writes on reddit for attention.
I know I should not get my hopes for a random post but ... man if by a chance this game is really coming out in Fall 2020 🤯

Fall 2020 release looks unrealistic to me.
We are 6ish months away from this theoretical release and we've seen nothing. I don't see Namco doing a super-short marketing campaign for such an important game.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
Fall 2020 release looks unrealistic to me.
We are 6ish months away from this theoretical release and we've seen nothing. I don't see Namco doing a super-short marketing campaign for such an important game.
Seems unlikely too for me. But definitely possible .
According to the Neogaf guy plans were to show the game at VGA and release it Q1 2020 as usual ( so , 4 months of marketing), but then because of some development changes and marketing deals ( and Covid) , things didnt work as intended . Release Window was postponed and it fell too close to next gen so Namco asked Fromsoftware to adapt it also for new consoles .
So , if release is end of 2020 , they still have 4 /5 months of marketing campaign if it shows this summer.
Dark souls 1 was announced at E3 2011 and released in October ... also dont forget that Elden Ring was announced 1 year ago , so the Hype campaign has already begun

Also , if this dude tells the truth , in my opinion they are waiting to show it until Next gen version is optimized, so they can reveal it in its full glory

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020

We don't need to speculate much on this, if the game doesn't show up in the next 2 months this info is bullshit.

phaerodox

Apr 8, 2020
I guess there will be some story or item barriers that prevent you from going to super late game areas. But I think the level scaling will be static for each area,which is the best imo. I hate enemies scaling with your level
I'd imagine there'd be no level scaling. Typically the barrier to entry is your level against enemies and if you hit a trash mob for like 20 damage when in the last area you hit for 150, then it happens again to a different trash mob, you'd know you're in the wrong area.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Also , if this dude tells the truth , in my opinion they are waiting to show it until Next gen version is optimized, so they can reveal it in its full glory

They would be showing the pc version anyway, that is not relevant for the marketing campaign I guess. Unless it has to be shown in some manufacturer event with a given version, but then again, they would lie with button prompts and we wouldn't know.

I guess the neogaf user is just saying what it is. He could be right or wrong, he can't confirm, his info is not first hand. It's the same as if I invented it and maybe I guessed right or maybe not, regardless if the info is true or even legit. TLDR: useless piece of info "leak" right now, even if true.
I'd like it to be true though and I don't think a 4-6 month marketing campaign is by any means wrong or improbable... even less with the current situation; but we'll see. Plus if it doesn't get shown in a summer full of events where Namco has been showing some or other games, then for sure there is some problem with it. Hence I firmly believe it will be shown either next wednesday or the twentysomethingeth of August, or sometime in between. TGS seems foo far off and certainly gamescom ONL just a bit too far too for a 2020 release, but yet not impossible.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Let's stop bringing unvetted, unverified GAF posts into this discussion. Thank you.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
On a more positive note:

Welcome! Glad to have us with you. Great taste in fantasy too.

I read AsoIaF in 2000 myself.... been waiting 20 years for Tyrion and Dany to meet.... 😭

Fullmetallad

Jun 1, 2019
They would be showing the pc version anyway, that is not relevant for the marketing campaign I guess. Unless it has to be shown in some manufacturer event with a given version, but then again, they would lie with button prompts and we wouldn't know.

I guess the neogaf user is just saying what it is. He could be right or wrong, he can't confirm, his info is not first hand. It's the same as if I invented it and maybe I guessed right or maybe not, regardless if the info is true or even legit. TLDR: useless piece of info "leak" right now, even if true.
I'd like it to be true though and I don't think a 4-6 month marketing campaign is by any means wrong or improbable... even less with the current situation; but we'll see. Plus if it doesn't get shown in a summer full of events where Namco has been showing some or other games, then for sure there is some problem with it. Hence I firmly believe it will be shown either next wednesday or the twentysomethingeth of August, or sometime in between. TGS seems foo far off and certainly gamescom ONL just a bit too far too for a 2020 release, but yet not impossible.
Isn't the suposed PS event next wednesday going to focus on next gen games running on the PS5 tho?
The State of Play scheduled for August is the one said to be showing both current and next gen games.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
I was watching dark souls 3 and dark souls 2 launch trailer, things that I never did before .... what the fuck did they do with the music ??? 😂😂😂
Who the hell tought that was a good music choices that fitted the game ??
It makes the game seems like a joke , it's beyond ridiculous!
I hope they wont make the same mistake with Elden Ring because it completely kills the atmosphere of the game

leon9506

Aug 31, 2018
I was watching dark souls 3 and dark souls 2 launch trailer, things that I never did before .... what the fuck did they do with the music ??? 😂😂😂
I hope they wont make the same mistake with Elden Ring because it completely kills the atmosphere of the game
I always hated how bandai do the launch trailer, the one made by from is way better, the dark souls 3 Japanese launch trailer was so hype

Oct 26, 2017

That's Bamco for you. I wonder if Elden Ring's marketing campaign will be something as cringe as Prepare to Die was.

culchulach

Apr 2, 2020
the dark souls 2 Locomotive Breath ... I couldn't help but love it ... jethro tull ... lol ... but yeah at the time ... loved it

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
the dark souls 2 Locomotive Breath ... I couldn't help but love it ... jethro tull ... lol ... but yeah at the time ... loved it
As much as someone could love that song it sounds so off in a medieval fantasy game lol.
I love Black Metal music but if they use Burzum soundtrack for a videogame trailer I wont help but just laugh and find it silly ... souls games have a lot of awesome bossfight soundtracks that they can chose from for the trailer ... I ' ll never understand this kind of marketing , probably some 12 years old fan find it badass to have a rock soundtrack...

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Would it be as cringy and edgy as this doe?

Tiddies/10 tho

You know, I actually can't help applauding them for committing to this level of edge. It's kind of endearing in a way.
One day, I'll be ready to embrace the campy cringeyness of Code Vein. Today is not that day, but one day.
Character (waifu/husbando) creator and customisation look legit, I'll give it that.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

Wow I actually never saw the DS3 launch trailer. You weren't kidding, wtf was that lol

For some reason I always thought this was the launch trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX0cvtjKt9E

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i would not watch another launch trailer by Bandai Namco, there no shits given there with boss appearances. There marketing tactic of putting some band songs in their dark souls trailers actually seems to work on people. Publishing souls-like games also seems to work well enough to make money.
Code Vein is all about that anime baby, some hilarious dev interviews about not being about that but you can't hide that, and there are people who are just trying it out because of the aesthetic. It's for those people who like anime and have only ever heard of souls games before and are trying that out, sorta how Star Wars fans are getting a look what a souls game is like with that Jedi game.

Rhodan

Feb 8, 2020
Cinders is definitely worth a try. It's also maintained by a single person, which is utterly insane considering the scope of it.

Res

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I generally don't like the use of non in-game music for the trailers in these games. I find the music choices to be questionable. I did like these ones for ds1 though

Dec 6, 2017
US

Elden Ring should just go all out and have Down With The Sickness. Those trailers have minus zero to do with those games' atmospheres, it's criminally lame.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
While I agree they are lame, this is nothing new in video game trailers, especially for good publishers. We're not the target audience for these launch trailer so they put in some cool action scenes, insane looking set pieces, dramatic voice lines and one liners and some hip music to sell it to people who are just now checking out the game a week or less before release or will look it up once word gets out or they see their favorite streamer playing it.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I hate "modern" (rock, pop etc.) music in trailers for games or movies that aren't in a modern setting. It takes me out of it completely.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Same. Some trailers feels so bad just because of this. Music is just too important for me, you can't put something that doesn't have any sense with the game.

Behrial

Apr 27, 2020
I hate "modern" (rock, pop etc.) music in trailers for games or movies that aren't in a modern setting. It takes me out of it completely.

Yeah and the epic covers, song remixes and the dropbass in everything. The current trailers in games and movies are zero mystery, they don't make you interested in anything, they just want to ensure a sale.
I really hate marketing and all financial movements, it makes me nervous to see something that is screaming at me to buy their products, now with the pandemic they are even more irritable than ever.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017

I agree.

Side note: Bergtatt is incredible and timeless.

Apr 3, 2020
Speaking about the music choices, DS1 and 2 had very calm and moody title screen's soundtrack, even BB and Sekiro. But it always amazes me in DS3 they went full with the hypest, a boss theme soundtrack.

Right, I forgot that version launched earlier.

I got mad at myself at the time for watching it since it was full of spoilers so no wonder I didn't watch the next one.

Did they ever mentioned why they delayed the WW release?

Retrosmith

Mar 2, 2020
Speaking of trailers, this one for the Fire Fades edition is just amazing. It is fully spoilery again but the song is pretty fitting and the editing is on point.

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Say what you want about the Anime-ness of the game but I thought the actual combat was pretty solid.
I would love to see a sequel with some slight tweaks here and there.
Scarlet Nexus will be the spiritual successor I guess.

Code Vein itself did decently but the DLCs were so pathetic no one would ever trust them again with a deluxe edition or season pass.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Scarlet Nexus will be the spiritual successor I guess.

Code Vein itself did decently but the DLCs were so pathetic no one would ever trust them again with a deluxe edition or season pass.
That reveal didn't really do anything for me. I'll wait how the combat turns out before I make a final decision about that, though.
Glad I just got the regular edition and skipped the DLC then...

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
But Scarlet Nexus looked like it's other genre to me and maybe not even in the same universe (Code Vein is in the God Eater universe). I'd try Code Vein out if it lands on XGP but I don't see myself ever buying it.

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Glad I just got the regular edition and skipped the DLC then...
Yeah basically the DLCs are 45 minutes worth of content each with rehashed bosses + 1 new unique but boring boss (except Hellfire Knight which is cool). And the loot are reskinned weapons with elemental variants.

nguyensyquan

Feb 14, 2020
But Scarlet Nexus looked like it's other genre to me and maybe not even in the same universe (Code Vein is in the God Eater universe). I'd try Code Vein out if it lands on XGP but I don't see myself ever buying it.

Scarlet Nexus looks like hack-n-slash more than Souls-like. Don't understand why people think it's the successor of Code Vein, the combat is fucking fast with character flying around comboing multiple enemies at the same time in the damn sky. I think I will buy this one if it's deep enough, there are many hack-n-slash games but few good ones, things like Nier Automata and Devil May Cry are super nice to play.

souldedeh

Mar 10, 2020
Scarlet Nexus looks pretty much like Astral Chain to me, even in the art direction side. I wouldn't expect anything near Code Vein on the approach.

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020

You may like it or not, but if Bandai had to choose a song for their trailers it should be one from Aviators imo.

Crazeeyak

May 31, 2019
The thing for me about modern songs is that they don't fit a fantasy theme, and I also think they don't usually capture the tone very well either compared to using something from the OST. The combination ends up feeling very disingenuous to me. And it does confound me that it works for a wider audience because who from a wider audience finds an anachronistic song as a selling point for them to buy a fantasy game? Unless the tone is silly like Knight's Tale, IDK how that plays in genre media at all.