• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah Hollow it's not, but it's an amazing game with a narrative structure and ambience that resembles that of Souls games (or probably better explained, just are inspired on). With some inspired-on-souls mechanics too (or even borrowed). It appeals to me more than Salt and Sanctuary, way more. But yeah I wouldn't recommend Hollow as a 2d souls game either.
I would definetely recommend it over Salt and Sanctuary as a Souls-like game tho, it's a better game and better in it's similarities to Souls. Played a bunch of Souls-like and none of them captured the essence as good as it did, even if they tried really hard( and usually without a lot of imagination)
Yeah, Hollow Knight definitely gave me a similar sense of mystery and wonder that not many self-proclaimed Souls-likes are able to capture.
The general tone and presentation is very subdued and elegant. The way you come across NPCs and progress their side quests. NPC dialogue and diction feels genuine, and the writing in general also manages to say a lot without saying much (one of the best bestiaries ever). The way you gradually work your way further/deeper into the unknown... Other games capture that last one quite well, but few are able to deliver on the initial points like HK does.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! Appreciate it
tenor.gif
Going to be so good..
ASilentProtagonist can we please we have sources for all these amazing pieces of artwork? I LOVE discovering new artists

Great post!

Thank you! here -

Michael Whelan, Brom, Andy Park, Thomas Riediger,Bella Bergolts

Apr 3, 2020
While I was playing DS3 DLCs, I have noticed there're some really interesting and unique game design ideas than the main game, I mean more open areas, the wolves enemies have really interesting AI (they surrounded you in a pack and start attack you, like there's communication between their AIs), there are "Stalker" type eninems, also there is that one weird part where your character slide from the top of cliff to the village in DLC 1.

I guess like From was experimenting with some game design ideas here for Elden Ring, and I feel these ideas were restricted by Dark Souls main game design, so when Miyazaki said: "We wanted to create a new dark fantasy action RPG full of things that we weren't able to do in the Dark Souls series." I hope he means these limitations.

Also this my first post here in the site! I've always been following the thread since the beginning!

phaerodox

Apr 8, 2020
While I was playing DS3 DLCs, I have noticed there're some really interesting and unique game design ideas than the main game, I mean more open areas, the wolves enemies have really interesting AI (they surrounded you in a pack and start attack you, like there's communication between their AIs), there are "Stalker" type eninems, also there is that one weird part where your character slide from the top of cliff to the village in DLC 1.

I guess like From was experimenting with some game design ideas here for Elden Ring, and I feel these ideas were restricted by Dark Souls main game design, so when Miyazaki said: "We wanted to create a new dark fantasy action RPG full of things that we weren't able to do in the Dark Souls series." I hope he means these limitations.

Also this my first post here in the site! I've always been following the thread since the beginning!

This is how i felt when i played through the DLC recently. I figured maybe since Ringed City was probably the last thing the team worked on before Elden Ring, maybe there were some attempts at certain concepts I could find. Before I even got there, while playing through AoA I realized basically what you said. A few quite wide open areas, ruined castle, even a village. It definitely feels different from the rest of the game. I can totally see it being a sort of prototype for the kind of environments we can expect.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019

Yes , it was confirmed by Miyazaki himself in an interview that with Ashes of Ariandel they wanted to experiment with more open areas , so they had for sure Elden ring in mind while doing this. He said also that AoA area was initially thought as a desert , but then they changed it in a snow area.
But honestly I really dont see in AoA all this openess, at least not more than other areas they already did like darkroot garden or road of sacrifices / farron keep . So I hope Elden Ring areas will be much much more open than this

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of ds3 dlc, its been more than 3 years since the Ringed City. That means elden ring has been in development for about 3 years now. With the size of the game and current events going on, I'm slowly coming into terms that the game will most likely release next year

culchulach

Apr 2, 2020
Quarantine + dead silent period is killing my hype.
I'm still really hyped... I check things everyday ... but in all my days of being a from fan ...going back to 2012 ... it's never been this earily quiet. I'm pinning my hopes to June .... it's actually not that far to wait ... but yeah if we got some news during quarantine times that would be really nice man ... really nice

Apr 3, 2020
This is how i felt when i played through the DLC recently. I figured maybe since Ringed City was probably the last thing the team worked on before Elden Ring, maybe there were some attempts at certain concepts I could find. Before I even got there, while playing through AoA I realized basically what you said. A few quite wide open areas, ruined castle, even a village. It definitely feels different from the rest of the game. I can totally see it being a sort of prototype for the kind of environments we can expect.

Yep, even the whole lore and theme of the DLCs is "Moving on and creating new world" and full of metaphors. In the final boss's intro dialogue basically tells you to leave and move on.

Yes , it was confirmed by Miyazaki himself in an interview that with Ashes of Ariandel they wanted to experiment with more open areas , so they had for sure Elden ring in mind while doing this. He said also that AoA area was initially thought as a desert , but then they changed it in a snow area.
But honestly I really dont see in AoA all this openess, at least not more than other areas they already did like darkroot garden or road of sacrifices / farron keep . So I hope Elden Ring areas will be much much more open than this

Now you mentioned it, I remember they've said something similar before releasing the DLCs. You're right, there are big areas in the series before but the DLCs areas felt like they've influenced other aspects of the game.

peiwen

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
User Banned (3 days): relentlessly pestering insiders over multiple posts and threads
Is Omni alright? Been a few weeks since he has said anything.

nguyensyquan

Feb 14, 2020
Damn! Can't wait to see how the game looks like. If only Fromsoftware post a damn screenshot or something, I'm starving right now, they can just take a picture of a house in Elden Ring and I will be satisfied.

AGJTX

Jan 28, 2020
Hopefully Namco can get reorganized due to covid and start marketing, but until they get a grip as to when that is happening, it may take a while I would imagine. Seems like Sony and Xbox are showing restraint as to when they are even doing their own game show.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Any word on the engine being used for ER? I think Fromsoftware does a great job with hit detection but I hope ER doen't suffer from enemys being able to hit you through objects, especially when you cannot do the same. I was just playing DS3 and one second my arrow narrowly misses a hollow by going right between his legs which is cool but the next second a large crab is one-shotting me through a huge tree. If I were to swing at the tree my sword would bounce off and open me up to an attack.

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Any word on the engine being used for ER? I think Fromsoftware does a great job with hit detection but I hope ER doen't suffer from enemys being able to hit you through objects, especially when you cannot do the same. I was just playing DS3 and one second my arrow narrowly misses a hollow by going right between his legs which is cool but the next second a large crab is one-shotting me through a huge tree. If I were to swing at the tree my sword would bounce off and open me up to an attack.
Omni told us they are using the same engine as past works, but with smart improvements such as better lighting. I can see them switching to Unreal Engine 4 in future projects, Deraciné is the proof they are experimenting with it.

Retrosmith

Mar 2, 2020
Quarantine + dead silent period is killing my hype.

Don't you dare go hollow.

Speaking of ds3 dlc, its been more than 3 years since the Ringed City. That means elden ring has been in development for about 3 years now. With the size of the game and current events going on, I'm slowly coming into terms that the game will most likely release next year

Most likely next year. Wish we could get a screen or two soon, even (new) concept art would ease the pain.

Is Omni alright? Been a few weeks since he has said anything.

You did not learn, did you?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

The thing I'm sorta looking forward to the most is seeing if they snuck an Elden Ring looking character into Sekiro or Dark Souls 3, since they've done that a couple of times now with Marvelous Chester basically being a Bloodborne character in Artorias of the Abyss:

marvellous-chester-large.jpg

And Yamamura, the Sekiro character in The Old Hunters:

Maybe the Locust Preacher or one of the invaders in Ringed City. Wildly reaching, but clearly it's the preacher because he mentions the word ring once:

"One met the dark with learning. But in the end, learned his knowledge was wanting.
The world began without knowledge, and without knowledge will it end.
Dost not this ring clear and true?
Fear not, the dark, my friend.
And let the feast begin.
"

source.gif

Or Lapp, because Patches is gonna be in it either way.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020
Omni told us they are using the same engine as past works, but with smart improvements such as better lighting. I can see them switching to Unreal Engine 4 in future projects, Deraciné is the proof they are experimenting with it.

I really hope they don't use it instead try to upgarde their engine. I stopped playing Jedi Fallen Order because how was the combat so clunky, spongy and hitbox all over the place, and I believe the engine have big part in these, I remember when DmC released heard that the engine wasn't designed for melee-combat based games, which DmC have been criticized for the some combat apsects.

The thing I'm sorta looking forward to the most is seeing if they snuck an Elden Ring looking character into Sekiro or Dark Souls 3, since they've done that a couple of times now with Marvelous Chester basically being a Bloodborne character in Artorias of the Abyss:

Maybe the Locust Preacher or one of the invaders in Ringed City.

Yeah, Artorias of the Abyess was more darker and heavier gothic influence just like Bloodborne. Also, I believe Lady Maria personal wepaon is from Japanese origin.

Do you know what is interesting about Locusts Locusts eninems? They come out from underground

OP
OP
Mifec

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
and I believe the engine have big part in these, I remember when DmC released heard that the engine wasn't designed for melee-combat based games, which DmC have been criticized for the some combat apsects.
It does not. It specifically comes down to what the devs do with it.

I can see them switching to Unreal Engine 4 in future projects, Deraciné is the proof they are experimenting with it.
The will more than likely use their own engine, it's the reason why they can make games so fast. Deracine was the outlier likely because of VR.

Last edited:

kodakoda

Nov 25, 2019

Maybe the Locust Preacher or one of the invaders in Ringed City. Wildly reaching, but clearly it's the preacher because he mentions the word ring once:

"One met the dark with learning. But in the end, learned his knowledge was wanting.
And let the feast begin.
"

source.gif

In my opinion, this "Elden Ring reference" should be a npc in one of the DS3 dlcs. I was thinking it could be Shira, since she is using a weapon that has been "enhanced" after killing a strong enemy. The spell she is using is also quite unique compared to other Dark Souls spells. She also has her own piece of lore, she was the friend of a dragon etc... But it could also be Vilhelm, the painting lady or Lapp.

And about that Locust preacher quote, I think he is refering to either Logan or King Vendrick. Only the future will tell !

Oct 26, 2017
In my opinion, this "Elden Ring reference" should be a npc in one of the DS3 dlcs. I was thinking it could be Shira, since she is using a weapon that has been "enhanced" after killing a strong enemy. The spell she is using is also quite unique compared to other Dark Souls spells. She also has her own piece of lore, she was the friend of a dragon etc... But it could also be Vilhelm, the painting lady or Lapp.

And about that Locust preacher quote, I think he is refering to either Logan or King Vendrick. Only the future will tell !

I don't think they were serious about the Locust quote...

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020

Would love it if it's Shira. Her design seemed more into High Fantasy stuff instead of Dark Fantasy we know. Like an elven dress. Also if that means crazy weapons like Crucifix then I am in lol.

OP
OP
Mifec

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

And let the feast begin.
"

source.gif

He's talking about the sorcery teacher. Every locust is talking about a DS3 NPC.

As for a nod to ER in Sekiro it would be the armored knight most likely.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the armored knight looked out of place in Sekiro. We'll probably see something or someone similar in ER.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
I think Fromsoftware does a great job with hit detection but I hope ER doen't suffer from enemys being able to hit you through objects, especially when you cannot do the same.
As mifec said, something like this doesnt really have to do with the engine, but moreso with how things are scripted.
Enemies hitting you through walls is probably an easy fix as they've already programmed that for the player and both pc and enemies use a very similar controller
The reason why something like that isnt implemented is because it might make it so that its easier to cheese some encounters

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
You can hit enemies through objects and walls. You only bounce your weapon if the main "point" of the hitbox hits the object/wall.

Some cheese strategies with harder enemies actually involve doing that.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
You can hit enemies through objects and walls. You only bounce your weapon if the main "point" of the hitbox hits the object/wall.

Some cheese strategies with harder enemies actually involve doing that.

It's way less of a winning tactic with the PC and the biggest reason is that enemies have 3-4 times your reach. It's also way more consistent for enemies. I almost always stagger when hitting a wall no matter what type of attack I try while they go through almost every time. At least the main ones that can 2-3 shot you. Either way, even if it were equal it's pretty janky so I hope it is less prevalent in ER.

Thanks

Last edited:

Rhodan

Feb 8, 2020
Wasn't the Armored Warrior's point in Sekiro to be more of a reference back to Dark Souls than something from the future? I found the whole ''I'm practically invincible in my armor and I'm going to take big slow crushing swings at you with my giant two-handed greatsword'' to feel a lot like a fun, satirical poke at Dark Souls, and the end of the fight felt like a great ''this is not that kind of game'' gag.

It fits well with the narrative of DS3's DLC about how endlessly reviving the same old thing will just make it rot and deteriorate- which felt a lot like From saying outright that it was time for them to move away from Dark Souls, and do something new to keep things from getting stale. Armored Warrior's fitting end feels like an almost slapstick-like ''yeah, enough of that, now back to what this game is actually about'' to go with that.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I don't know if Mods are frowned upon in here but the Cinders mod for DS3 is amazing to me. I am addicted. It's like a nice mix of my favorite two genres(Souls and Diablo when it comes to the loot addiction) with regular updates now. More loot, 10+ new classes, MANY more armors(like the Heide set from DS2), more unique hollow enemies, cosmetics(weapon buffs like crackling lightning, etc), unique bonuses for previously boring items, buffs for enemies that you can activate or deactivate in order to get more Soul absorption, regenerating mana which makes weapon arts and magic more viable, I am a few hours into a Hunter build and my composite bow is pretty strong. Ranged builds seem to be great now, especially with a ring I just found that makes dashing cost no endurance so that I can create distance against the super aggressive tanky enemies.

Also, is it possible for the bottom half of the stray demon on that bridge to break away in vanilla DS3? Because I had never seen it and it was so cool, he had a totally new attack pattern and animation when it ocurred. Anyway, I never felt the need to donate to a modder until now. It is a must.

I also downloaded a Bloodborne dash mod that is compatible with this mod. It's amazing to have in Dark Souls, especially with my agile archer.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Wasn't the Armored Warrior's point in Sekiro to be more of a reference back to Dark Souls than something from the future? I found the whole ''I'm practically invincible in my armor and I'm going to take big slow crushing swings at you with my giant two-handed greatsword'' to feel a lot like a fun, satirical poke at Dark Souls, and the end of the fight felt like a great ''this is not that kind of game'' gag.

It fits well with the narrative of DS3's DLC about how endlessly reviving the same old thing will just make it rot and deteriorate- which felt a lot like From saying outright that it was time for them to move away from Dark Souls, and do something new to keep things from getting stale. Armored Warrior's fitting end feels like an almost slapstick-like ''yeah, enough of that, now back to what this game is actually about'' to go with that.
I'm a fan of this post.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I do really like the weird metatextual stuff FROM does. Especially because it's honestly not really on the nose in a way that feels out of place. Like it's really strongly stated, but it always fits and they're able to weave it into a greater story, while also letting it serve a dual purpose of letting them tell the player something. It's smart writing and I like it a lot.

Also, is it possible for the bottom half of the stray demon on that bridge to break away in vanilla DS3? Because I had never seen it and it was so cool, he had a totally new attack pattern and animation when it ocurred. Anyway, I never felt the need to donate to a modder until now. It is a must.

Yes indeed. It's really fun. Just attack his legs. A mod is going to do a lot, but that's something pretty major that a mod would maybe only like, unlock if it was dormant. In this case though yeah it's in the main game. It's a fun fight.

I need to check out a number of dark souls mods.

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
If anyone is interested all Souls games are discounted on steam, implying you haven't bought them already. I took the chance to buy DS3 on PC, as it's the only one I had on PS4. 15$ for deluxe edition sounds sweet.

On another conspiracy note, I don't think it's a coincidence they are on sale now. Maybe they want us to look forward to a new game soon.

66 pages of discussion..I missed the thread. Is there any news about elden ring ?
Officially? No. We just know that Kitamura is confirmed to be the composer and Kitao reassured they are developing from home to give us something when serenity is restored.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Yes indeed. It's really fun. Just attack his legs. A mod is going to do a lot, but that's something pretty major that a mod would maybe only like, unlock if it was dormant. In this case though yeah it's in the main game. It's a fun fight.

I need to check out a number of dark souls mods.

Ok, the mod made him extra tanky and I guess I never used melee on him too much because it was the first time I saw it. One of the coolest fights since it was nostalgic and also had a unique effect.

nguyensyquan

Feb 14, 2020
It's 2/3 through April at the moment, can we expect any news about the Xbox Event next week? I mean, if it exists, it should be in May, right? This is a good time for Phil Spencer to reveal something. Even if Elden Ring is not there, at least I can see some Fable

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
It's 2/3 through April at the moment, can we expect any news about the Xbox Event next week? I mean, if it exists, it should be in May, right? This is a good time for Phil Spencer to reveal something. Even if Elden Ring is not there, at least I can see some Fable
If the April/May Xbox event was real, I think it has been cancelled.

All we have is IGN "Summer of Gaming" and stuff like that.

nguyensyquan

Feb 14, 2020
If the April/May Xbox event was real, I think it has been cancelled.

All we have is IGN "Summer of Gaming" and stuff like that.
Why? I'm talking about the one that Phil Spencer teased back in March (at the moment when E3 got cancelled) , not the rumour one. The Xbox Event I'm talking about exist only because the cancellation of E3 and obviously will be digital, why should it be cancelled again?

I believe this event should be around April/May, before the IGN one (which is probably in June). Of course it could be cancelled by some unknown reason, but if it doesn't get cancelled, it should be around that period.

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/1237768900244156417?s=20

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Xbox event/events are being heavily discussed in their respective OT. There's a lot you can chew on if you looked into that thread. Don't wanna post 4chan links or twitter user posts regarding MS events too much in here. A lot of people are thinking it's coming soon and that it's not just one event, there are multiple.

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
It's about time they give us something to look forward to. Sekiro had some random concept art dropped in the silent periods at least.

I'm starting to get impatient.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
It only makes sense that both Xbox and Sony would have an event before the one hosted by IGN in june, as a publisher you want to own the news the day you drop info on your console, you dont want to do so at the same time 3rd party devs are showcasing new titles

Unless Bamco decides to shadowdrop the trailer on their own, I think its likely we'll see ER in one of those. I really hope we dont have to wait til June
It's about time they give us something to look forward to. Sekiro had some random concept art dropped in the silent periods at least.
Did it?
As far as I remember, the only real silent period was from TGA to E3, after that we got a nonstop promo cycle with news every other 1-2 months

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I dont think there is any cancellation at all in terms of MS events. That 4chan post said May and June tough not April. There is less than 2 months to see a trailer imo. If not.. God help us...

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I hope we hear something soon. I have been really getting that Fromsoft itch lately. Thinking about doing a fresh DS1 run for the first time in a long while.