• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I took from that cinematic teaser of a guy working at a forge hammering stuff is that game is in its baby stage. I thought it was a clear message that things are only at first few steps.

If wasn't for that I am sure we all would be speculating From making BB2 100%. So the teaser was timed well.
Is this a serious post? Or are we now grasping at straws to find hidden real world meaning from the trailer?

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
TLOU2 got delayed. Very off-topic, but realizing even more what heavy impact this virus is having on our industry. We are gonna well be bored, frustrated, annoyed and harrowed for months.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
TLOU2 got delayed. Very off-topic, but realizing even more what heavy impact this virus is having on our industry. We are gonna well be bored, frustrated, annoyed and harrowed for months.
You should watch the recent interview with Phil Spencer on IGN. Plans for most publishers/devs have changed multiple times due to all of this, we just have to be patient.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
Soon Miyazaki : " We had planned 3 years of complete silence after the E3 2019 reveal trailer , now with this situation the years are 10 "

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
As for backlog I can't recommend Gamepass for PC/XO players enough. I bought it yesterday and my play later list is nearly full lol. Monster Hunter, DMC5 for XO and Metro Exodus for PC is some of the best deals I saw. And lots of discounts at both UPlay, Epic too. Hob is a great game for a Non Zelda Zeldalike and it's free.

peiwen

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Why can't Omni tell us when we're getting the trailer?

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Why can't Omni tell us when we're getting the trailer?
Page 58 of this thread was entirely about not persuading insiders. You were doing this too many times and even when I am a nobody is getting annoyed by this I can't imagine Omni's annoyance. Please don't persuade Omni with questions you won't get answers or will get answers anyways.

As for your question I bet Omni doesn't even know themselves since world is in a pandemic right now. Plans may change and they changed countless times this year.

Crazeeyak

May 31, 2019
I don't recall seeing this pop up before (I may have missed it), but I will be curious to see if From implements any kind of map in Elden Ring given the larger, more open nature of the game. Probably not, and almost certainly not a minimap, but I am curious to see how the scope of this game plays with some of the Fromsoft design tropes we have grown used to.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I don't recall seeing this pop up before (I may have missed it), but I will be curious to see if From implements any kind of map in Elden Ring given the larger, more open nature of the game. Probably not, and almost certainly not a minimap, but I am curious to see how the scope of this game plays with some of the Fromsoft design tropes we have grown used to.
Shadow of the Colossus 🤔 I have no doubts about From's ability of handling an open world without open world tropes.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I think we get a general map due to the size of the world. May mimic a lot of other games where it slowly uncovers while you explore certain areas. It won't go into extreme detail but just give you enough to have a general sense of where you are and where you haven't explored yet.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Lol definitely forgot about it. Literally fought against Midir for 4 hours as a pure mage when I could beat them in 5 seconds on any other build maybe besides pyromancer. Pure pyro is definitely at a disadvantage tough. I can say it's balanced since pyromancy has option to cheese literally every fight thanks to Chaos Bed Cheeses.

pure pyro has a super bad time with bosses in ringed city. I respeced for all bosses in the DLC,can't do otherwise

Omni's a NPC in the game hinting at their next project.

He's Miyazaki's nephew,he was sitting behind him at TGA 2019 in case you guys hadn't noticed

Crazeeyak

May 31, 2019
Shadow of the Colossus 🤔 I have no doubts about From's ability of handling an open world without open world tropes.

Shadow of the Colossus isn't actually that big of a world. Even then, you have the sword to guide you.

I think we get a general map due to the size of the world. May mimic a lot of other games where it slowly uncovers while you explore certain areas. It won't go into extreme detail but just give you enough to have a general sense of where you are and where you haven't explored yet.

I was thinking something along these lines. Might even just be a menu item, and may not even show your location. If they don't do anything like this I will be intrigued, because I just think at a certain scale and openness it isn't hand-holding as much as ease of play. Of course landmarks could achieve a lot, and in any game are essential for locating yourself, but it is a consideration for exploration that will be interesting to see.

Oct 26, 2017
If there's a map it's probably gonna be like the antique map in Sekiro, and IIRC all 3 Dark Souls games have had maps (not in-game though). So yeah, nothing very specific or detailed.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Page 58 of this thread was entirely about not persuading insiders. You were doing this too many times and even when I am a nobody is getting annoyed by this I can't imagine Omni's annoyance. Please don't persuade Omni with questions you won't get answers or will get answers anyways.

As for your question I bet Omni doesn't even know themselves since world is in a pandemic right now. Plans may change and they changed countless times this year.

I've seen this multiple times in this thread...no one is 'persuading' or 'bullying' or forcing Omni or anyone else to reveal anything...are people so sensitive nowadays?...or maybe because it's harder to read people when posting verbal text on a message board versus actual face-to-face commentary...it's a thread about From Software speculation...certain questions are asked in the spirit of fun or playfulness...has that subtlety been lost nowadays?...so people can reveal info but if another person asks a question that either can't be answered or has no current answer then that is considered being rude?

c'mon...everyone needs to relax a bit...people are reading too much into certain posts...there's a difference between being aggressive and mean spirited versus just posting...if I were posting info someplace online and I get the same questions over and over I would expect that and it would not bother me one bit...I would either put up a Sticky in the first post with FAQ, ignore members that I feel are asking the same thing over and over or just understand that in a long 60+ page thread there are invariably going to be repeat questions or annoying questions...such is the nature of the internet

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Kalik, everyone's under a bit of stress right now, and Omni has said they're dealing with other real life issues, so might be best to just let off.
@ing them for answers they likely can't give straight (and have said as much previously that they can't) isn't going to help. You personally might expect to get badgered if you were in their position, and you might be able to "deal" with it better, but you're not. Omni is all we've got, and this is the only place they're posting, so best get accustomed to the way they (including Era admin) wanna handle things.

Also, it's clear that tricky questions are largely going ignored; but when it's the same people asking the same sort of thing over and over, further guidance is needed.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Kalik, everyone's under a bit of stress right now, and Omni has said they're dealing with other real life issues, so might be best to just let off.
@ing them for answers they likely can't give straight (and have said as much previously that they can't) isn't going to help. You personally might expect to get badgered if you were in their position, and you might be able to "deal" with it better, but you're not. Omni is all we've got, and this is the only place they're posting, so best get accustomed to the way they (including Era admin) wanna handle things.

Also, it's clear that tricky questions are largely going ignored; but when it's the same people asking the same sort of thing over and over, further guidance is needed.

I keep saying it's perfectly fine if answers are not given...totally fine...100% fine...I have not asked any questions after being told that it looks 'argumentative'...I'm just looking at the bigger landscape

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Actually, Elden Ring is just like Tales of Arise, both edited by Bandai Namco. Like, I understand some fans are frustrated by the emptyness of communication, but don't forget it's the case of Tales of Arise too. I don't personnaly wait this game but, this just shows that Bandai wait the good time to start the marketing. It's just a matter of time, it's all good otherwise.

nguyensyquan

Feb 14, 2020
Actually, Elden Ring is just like Tales of Arise, both edited by Bandai Namco. Like, I understand some fans are frustrated by the emptyness of communication, but don't forget it's the case of Tales of Arise too. I don't personnaly wait this game but, this just shows that Bandai wait the good time to start the marketing. It's just a matter of time, it's all good otherwise.
There's one problem about that. I don't trust Bandai Namco marketing decision, when it comes to marketing video games, I have higher hope on the demon lord Activision than cluster fuck Bandai Namco.

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I'm really mad at people making and believing fake news. Someone edited a trailer of the new game "Mortal Shell" putting "Elden Ring" title on it and people are sharing it like crazy thinking it is real.

culchulach

Apr 2, 2020
Hello! I've been lurking here since the beginning. Great thread! I really hope Omni can keep going with more insider info. These tidbits that he gives and the discussions that ensue is keeping me going these days. Thanks Omni!

Crazeeyak

May 31, 2019
Hello! I've been lurking here since the beginning. Great thread! I really hope Omni can keep going with more insider info. These tidbits that he gives and the discussions that ensue is keeping me going these days. Thanks Omni!

I've also been lurking for a long time and decided to be more active after reading through Omni's posts and stated goals. Seems like the best place for Elden Ring discussion at the moment.

peiwen

Banned
Dec 13, 2019
isn't the next Xbox event happening in June? Or will we see an event before that's going to show Elden Ring? Omni probably knows.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
isn't the next Xbox event happening in June? Or will we see an event before that's going to show Elden Ring? Omni probably knows.
Yesterday Phil spencer did an interview with IGN saying they'll do something before, during and after e3 so there will be plenty of opportunities to see the game.
I dont think many people know at this point when events are happening

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Game Recommendation Until Elden Ring Arrives(Time to ripoff Reddit lol) : Metro Exodus. I haven't finished it and I am probably halfway trough but it's definitely a game you might want to check out if you are looking for something similar to long expeditions of DS1. Especially on Ranger difficulty. It's been a long while since I was genuinely looking for ways to survive in a survival game and Metro accomplished this imo. Should I go out at night or day? Should I explore area more for supplies or should I head to mission? Is my ammo enough for me to survive etc. I can say Metro isn't a discount Half Life anymore but more like a Stalker game. Semi open world nature makes it way more distinct than it's predecessors. As far as I can tell it's worst Metro game in terms of story but it's best in terms of gameplay. If you liked other Metro games before you may like it much more depending on what you are looking in a Metro game.

peiwen

Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Yesterday Phil spencer did an interview with IGN saying they'll do something before, during and after e3 so there will be plenty of opportunities to see the game.
I dont think many people know at this point when events are happening
So we'll get gameplay in April or May!

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I'm playing and trying to plat Shadow of the Colossus. I don't know if I can suggest this game, it is certainly flawed in many ways (camera and controls) but I definitely can call it a "crippled masterpiece". I love the game, it fits me in every way.

28370135859_e61b75e674_b.jpg

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I'm playing and trying to plat Shadow of the Colossus. I don't know if I can suggest this game, it is certainly flawed in many ways (camera and controls) but I definitely can call it a "crippled masterpiece". I love the game, it fits me in every way.

28370135859_e61b75e674_b.jpg

Just finished it like 2 hours ago, I was now watching the AGDQ run and getting my mind blown.

When I was riding the horse on those big open fields I was getting hyped thinking of how similar Elden Ring might end up being. Can't wait to finally see some footage.

Agree with the camera/controls complaints, riding the horse is a exercise of frustration and the camera is annoying most of the time, tbh I didn't remember it being this bad though a long time has passed since I played the original. Wish Bluepoint had worked on that instead of murdering the main character look lol

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I need to get back to SoC, I left off when I got to the second monster. It turned me off a bit because there's a set order(?) - along with controls and camera etc.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I can't call it a Soulslike tbh. I haven't played Nioh 2 I only played Nioh 1 a little bit. But expecting Nioh to be a Soulslike definitely butchers enjoyment you get from that imo. My main problem with Nioh is you spend too much time on menus that nearly half the amount you play is at menus.

Last edited:

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I can't call it a Soulslike tbh. I haven't played Nioh 2 I only played Nioh 1 a little bit. But expecting Nioh to be a Soulslike definitely butchers enjoyment you get from that imo. My main problem with Nioh is you spend too much time on menus nearly half the amount you play is at menus.

you can spent time on menus as much as you want to. I open the menu once at the start of every level,you dont need to upgrade everytime you get loot

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
For those looking for recommendation before we get any kind of news, I'd also sugest "0_abyssalSomewhere "
It's an experimental indie title that takes a lot of inspiration from souls, silent hills and the movie Angel's egg.
Its a very unique experience that you can play in like an hour, really got me thinking about the possibility of From maybe doing some weirder games in the future. Would be cool
2xUZhw.png

Mar 22, 2020
If you guys don't mind 2D Souls-like, Hyper Light Drifter is a gem. Fast-paced combat with a lot of depth, mysterious world with secrets revealed through snippets of lore and environmental storytelling, ambient piano + 8-bit soundtrack that really helps set tone/atmosphere, and awesome art direction — there's so much this game gets right.

53219cb11ea17c1591afbb20c56777c7.jpg

Last edited:

aCid

Aug 18, 2018
Canada
If you guys don't mind 2D Souls-like, Hyper Light Drifter is a gem. Fast-paced combat with a lot of depth, mysterious world with secrets revealed through snippets of lore and environmental storytelling, ambient 8-bit soundtrack that really helps set tone/atmosphere, and awesome art direction — there's so much this game gets right.

This is a solid recommendation. Such a special game that, in my opinion, decidedly evokes souls-like ambience. It plays incredibly well, too. And with all this, still manages to stand out as a unique experience. Everyone should give it shot. Seriously...

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
For those looking for recommendation before we get any kind of news, I'd also sugest "0_abyssalSomewhere "
It's an experimental indie title that takes a lot of inspiration from souls, silent hills and the movie Angel's egg.
Its a very unique experience that you can play in like an hour, really got me thinking about the possibility of From maybe doing some weirder games in the future. Would be cool
2xUZhw.png
You got me with Angel's Egg. A goddamn masterpiece. If the atmosphere's anywhere near the perfection of the movie, I'm all in. Also, I'd heartily recommend Angel's Egg to anyone who adores the ambiance of the Souls series, the movie has a lot in common in that regard. It's far more abstract and conceptual, but the cryptic and desolate world the movie takes place in can definitely evoke the same emotions you feel when exploring the many locales of the Souls series.
angelsegg1.jpg

image-w448.jpg

thumb-1920-781294.jpg

peiwen

Banned
Dec 13, 2019
You got me with Angel's Egg. A goddamn masterpiece. If the atmosphere's anywhere near the perfection of the movie, I'm all in. Also, I'd heartily recommend Angel's Egg to anyone who adores the ambiance of the Souls series, the movie has a lot in common in that regard. It's far more abstract and conceptual, but the cryptic and desolate world the movie takes place in can definitely evoke the same emotions you feel when exploring the many locales of the Souls series.
angelsegg1.jpg

image-w448.jpg

thumb-1920-781294.jpg
Or you know play another Fromsoft game.