• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
I think we all know this won't be releasing this year but surely we're gonna see it this year?

Elden Ring, by the way.
I still believe it can release in October / November 2020. If they are really going to show it in April/ May they will have a 6/7 months of full marketing campaign . If we dont have news until June , than it is definitely 2021.. but I would not lose hope yet. It is confirmed for this generation of consoles after all..

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see the game finally appearing on one of the livestreams that substitutes E3 in early June, then 4-5 months of strong marketing and then release at the end of the year. It will be interesting to see how a From game fares on the more busy holiday season. It will probably do well, but with the release of new console there will be a lot of high profile games that will be released on those dates.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
Remember when jschreier tweeted in 2019 that he heard Elden Ring and some other games would all release in early 2020? Those were the times.

I think none of those games will release before almost June, btw. I don't remember exactly what they were but I think they were Cyberpunk and TLOU p2 maybe? So at least those other were meant to, but were publicly delayed. Maybe Elden Ring is not that far away? I still hope for a short time span between gameplay reveal and release... the question is when will reveal happen and I think it was probably scheduled for E3.
I remember also Final Fantasy 7 and Ghost of Tsushima in that twitter , but I could be wrong... All these games are 2020 so ER was definitely planned for 2020 one year ago ( and maybe it still is )

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I think it's important to realize it's not like Bandai has been sitting on their hands doing nothing and that marketing is a lot more complex and involved than "press button to release trailer and generate hype". They've also got other games to worry about marketing and the budget being allocated towards each game's marketing, timeframe of releases, deadlines and that's before getting into the mess coronavirus has made of things. They've been working on stuff for ER but there are other considerations that need to be made and things adjusted accordingly.
Right! Code Vein marketing just ended as the last DLC has been released.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I really don't think it will be released this year. Q1 2021 at best imo. Given both XSeX and PS5 has Backwards Compatibilty I don't think Bamco would release them without patches. I don't think it will be more than 4K patch for those consoles but it's way better marketing strategy than Elden Ring Scholar of the First Ring Edition. Dividing multiplayer servers for a 1 year old game is a bad strategy. Speaking of multiplayer Call of Duty Warzone is free and it's crossplatform. If you enjoyed and seek DS3 invasion chaos then it's pretty good for it especially with a friend. Speaking of multiplayer with friends: Is there a sign of co invasions in Elden Ring? Invading same world with a friend I mean?

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I really don't think it will be released this year. Q1 2021 at best imo. Given both XSeX and PS5 has Backwards Compatibilty I don't think Bamco would release them without patches. I don't think it will be more than 4K patch for those consoles but it's way better marketing strategy than Elden Ring Scholar of the First Ring Edition. Dividing multiplayer servers for a 1 year old game is a bad strategy. Speaking of multiplayer Call of Duty Warzone is free and it's crossplatform. If you enjoyed and seek DS3 invasion chaos then it's pretty good for it especially with a friend. Speaking of multiplayer with friends: Is there a sign of co invasions in Elden Ring? Invading same world with a friend I mean?
I think that it doesn't need any "scholar of the first ring" to begin with thanks to backwards compatibility. Sekiro can already run 4k60 on pc, I can't see any problem in making ER a way it is just enhanced on new consoles.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I think that it doesn't need any "scholar of the first ring" to begin with thanks to backwards compatibility. Sekiro can already run 4k60 on pc, I can't see any problem in making ER a way it is just enhanced on new consoles.
Well their "Backwards Compatibilty" are shady. Xbox said they will make "every" XO game available. But then said "most". I am sure they both are just checking games to see if there is any complications for them to not work but I don't think both PS5 and XSX has a definitive answer about BC right now. PS5 said "100 most played games first then others later" at first. But after backlash they said "most" PS4 games instead of every. Also given FromSoft hides weird stuff to framerates etc. it would be better for it to be crossbuy/crossgen instead of just hoping BC would do the work for them. Also it's more convenient to buy a game labeled as PS5 instead of PS4 for PS5.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
It's more convenient to target a 109 million selling console and a ~50 million selling one rather than two shady upcoming platforms that not many can afford in a first moment.
Sure. But I don't think they would pass next gen. There are many people who dreams about a 60 fps From game on consoles. I am sure many people would buy one if it means 60 fps on day one. I didn't said they will pass on PS4/XO but I don't think they would neglect 2 powerful next gen consoles too.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Sure. But I don't think they would pass next gen. There are many people who dreams about a 60 fps From game on consoles. I am sure many people would buy one if it means 60 fps on day one. I didn't said they will pass on PS4/XO but I don't think they would neglect 2 powerful next gen consoles too.

I think From will stick to making the game for the platforms it's intended to release on, and itis in Sony and Microsoft best interests to make sure the game works more than well on their respective new consoles when it is released, not the other way. Platforms will obviously try to get newer, more currently interesting games working on new consoles than forgotten games from years ago (yes that includes Bloodborne which didn't even get a fucking Pro patch).

And even if From dedicates time to make sure they actually do XSX and PS5 patches, that doesn't mean they have to delay shipping the game until that's available. They can say whatever but those consoles do not have a clear release date for now. Maybe the game has a clearer date, even if just digital download date. I don't know if covid is affecting physical game manufacturing but consoles definitely will be affected.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I admit I've lost hope of seeing it released this year, but the release has never really been on my mind chiefly because we've still to even see gameplay footage, that's where my mind is at not necessarily release date, I just wanna see something!

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I admit I've lost hope of seeing it released this year, but the release has never really been on my mind chiefly because we've still to even see gameplay footage, that's where my mind is at not necessarily release date, I just wanna see something!
Gameplay trailer will most likely have a date attached to it as a bonus.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Yuka Kitamura confirmed that she is working on Elden Ring.

Ecvh9Ol.jpg

twitter.com

Yuka Kitamura on Twitter

“@Brh00m_97 Yes, I am🌟”

She probably composed that e3 track too(which is great btw). It's pretty funny that this is probably the only official info we got in 9 months
Remember when jschreier tweeted in 2019 that he heard Elden Ring and some other games would all release in early 2020? Those were the times.

I think none of those games will release before almost June, btw. I don't remember exactly what they were but I think they were Cyberpunk and TLOU p2 maybe? So at least those other were meant to, but were publicly delayed. Maybe Elden Ring is not that far away? I still hope for a short time span between gameplay reveal and release... the question is when will reveal happen and I think it was probably scheduled for E3.

It is interesting that the other games in the tweet are already set for a 2020 release. It could be that Bandai internally had 2020 as a target for the release window, but they probably weren't ready or sure enough at the time of reveal to commit. Anyway, late 2020 is still possible

Oct 24, 2019

every single FromSoft game since DS2 has launched in March. My bet is that the internal release date was March 2020 initially and then it got delayed

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I was one of those hopeless optimists.

To be fair, Bloodborne, DS3 and Sekiro were all shown at the e3 the year prior to their release so it's not like there was no precedent! 😛
I felt like I knew at E3 2019 that it would need to pass another E3 at least to show the gameplay off at the eventual MS confernece. It was not just going to get gameplay at TGS and jump festa and launch the spring after. No way. Whatever direct format showcases happen this late spring/summer, Elden Ring will be there. And then it will launch at the earliest Q1 Q2 2021, in my opinion!

Rhodan

Feb 8, 2020
Showing that first teaser at the Game Awards instead of E3 would probably have alleviated a lot of this stress. Still confused why they decided to tease it so incredibly early with no payoff anywhere in sight.

I also wouldn't be surprised if things slow down even more now, what with a god damn pandemic washing over the world. Hoping that From doesn't run into any big setbacks now.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan

Schreier should stick to actual journalism rather than try to capitalise on rumours. I remember people jumped at him for spreading rumours and leaks, and he got all defensive saying something to the effect of "It's your guys' fault for buying into the corporate hype!" Gets me all riled up just thinking about it lol

We also know the (or one of) 2D Concept Artist, who posted some sketches inspired but NOT related to Elden Ring.
That guy is a freelancer, certainly not THE concept artist of ER. Nothing official about what he posted.

From Software's handling of this game is almost as sad as WB's handling with the new Batman game.
Amazing how some people think developers have a responsibility or obligation to show things they don't want to or aren't ready to.
You believe we are deserving of privileges or special treatment just because we know a game exists? Just let them do their thing.
Also fwiw, it's the publisher's (in this case Bandai's) job to "handle" marketing for From's games, specifically in western territories.

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Schreier should stick to actual journalism rather than try to capitalise on rumours. I remember people jumped at him for spreading rumours and leaks, and he got all defensive saying something to the effect of "It's your guys' fault for buying into the corporate hype!" Gets me all riled up just thinking about it lol

That guy is a freelancer, certainly not THE concept artist of ER. Nothing official about what he posted.

Amazing how some people think developers have a responsibility or obligation to show things they don't want to or aren't ready to.
You believe we are deserving of privileges or special treatment just because we know a game exists? Just let them do their thing.
Also fwiw, it's the publisher's (in this case Bandai's) job to "handle" marketing for From's games, specifically in western territories.

If they aren't ready to show it or don't want to, then don't tease the fanbase multiple times for years on end. Everytime WB teases Batman, I feel like a Fish who's being baited with food. No doubt Bluepoint fans feel the same with their Demon Souls remake.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
If they aren't ready to show it or don't want to, then don't tease the fanbase multiple times for years on end. Everytime WB teases Batman, I feel like a Fish who's being baited with food. No doubt Bluepoint fans feel the same with their Demon Souls remake.
Developers don't control this. If they did plenty of marketing campaigns would be very different.

And regardless, it's not like 'fans' are unable to exercise self control and disconnect from 'hype'. At the end of the day, it's a product that you're being marketed so publishers can make money. I like being excited for something as much as the next person, but I find the trend of becoming vitriolic over one's lack of opportunity to engage in consumerism to be quite disturbing. You'll survive without seeing a videogame and regardless of how much of a 'fan' you are, until money has exchanged hands, you're not "owed" anything and even then you only get what you've paid for.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Every single game in the list to which I responded was at some point scheduled for release in early 2020, as I said. And, as anyone who's followed the video game industry for more than a year knows, every single game gets delayed. Not much else to add there.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Developers don't control this. If they did plenty of marketing campaigns would be very different.

And regardless, it's not like 'fans' are unable to exercise self control and disconnect from 'hype'. At the end of the day, it's a product that you're being marketed so publishers can make money. I like being excited for something as much as the next person, but I find the trend of becoming vitriolic over one's lack of opportunity to engage in consumerism to be quite disturbing. You'll survive without seeing a videogame and regardless of how much of a 'fan' you are, until money has exchanged hands, you're not "owed" anything and even then you only get what you've paid for.

some of the people over in the nintendo direct thread need to hear this.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I feel you there. If you're constantly teasing something then you deserve a bit of flack for not delivering. But I don't think From has been "teasing" ER at all. They've just been keeping quiet, supposedly working on the game.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Showing that first teaser at the Game Awards instead of E3 would probably have alleviated a lot of this stress. Still confused why they decided to tease it so incredibly early with no payoff anywhere in sight.

I also wouldn't be surprised if things slow down even more now, what with a god damn pandemic washing over the world. Hoping that From doesn't run into any big setbacks now.
The timing is so bad that I legit even forget GRRM has some involvement in this game. The whole thing is very bizarre but not unlike how From has done things in the past, it just seems way more excessive than from their previous patterns. No doubt all this shit going on now must have had some impact, the last actual info we got on ER was a couple of instagram posts.

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019

Yes I know that developers don't control marketing. These marketing campaigns are at the fault of publishers.

But still these publishers like money. Guess who will give them that money? Their fans/consumers. It's not a good idea to bait/troll/tease your fanbase/consumerbase for months/years on end and making them all feel like they're being baited. Look at Avengers. That game has no hype because of it's god awful marketing. Before it was revealed, there was like a year before they revealed it after they announced it. Doing that creates way too high expectations.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I really feel like this game is ambitious. That's why FromSoft is "taking so long". And that is very good.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Every single game in the list to which I responded was at some point scheduled for release in early 2020, as I said. And, as anyone who's followed the video game industry for more than a year knows, every single game gets delayed. Not much else to add there.

Thanks for chiming in with the link though, as it says explicitly "first half of the year" and not "early 2020" (so it seems I misremembered), which is definitely not the same to me (in fact some of those games are now announced to release in April (after a public delay even - FF7R), or the last days of that first half (TLOU after another public delay) or just a month into the second (Ghost), which is pretty accurate after all the time that has passed since the tweets). That would make a delay to the end of the year or longer less "strange". Anyway of course, especially with games with no publicly announced release date, delays are obviously a thing.

What I wanted to express though, and it was in relation to posts previous to mine, is that at that time hype for Elden Ring was at other level, with hopes and expectations different than it is right now.

I mean, in your tweet you said "2020 is going to be wild". Unfortunately, it was right on the nose for the wrong reasons!

lol, to be fair, 2020 should see the release of very anticipated games. Elden Ring would be my most anticipated one but that doesn't mean we haven't got Ori 2 and a new Doom plus all the shit that's coming from REmake 3 onwards!

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
Well guys , if Elden Ring was intended to release in early 2020 at some point I dont think it is that far away . Fall 2020 release looks even more plausible now

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
This seems true for pretty much everything, but even before corona was a global thing, we seemed to be wondering what was happening with news or announcements re: ER. I don't think the virus has helped obviously, but I assume it had already been pushed back before that was a consideration.
This. It' s not that before Covid was Gameplay Fest......

Anyway , I think it is a good moment right now to show new game trailers online with all the people forced to stay home bored and with nothing to do... but probably I dont understand a shit about marketing strategies

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
This. It' s not that before Covid was Gameplay Fest......

Anyway , I think it is a good moment right now to show new game trailers online with all the people forced to stay home bored and with nothing to do... but probably I dont understand a shit about marketing strategies

...and impulsing digital sales (which I'm not a fan of, but they work, and are often better for publishers than retail). Also people need distraction from real shit and hype leads to debate and all so it would be positive. But what do we know huh.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Omnipotent to get away from the whole Celtic thing, can you tell us which cultures (if any) are heavily drawn upon for the cultures in the game? People are getting too hung up on the fact that while the *geography* might be based on Scotland, that doesn't mean the *culture* has to be based on Celts.

For example, Yharnam's culture (ie fashion, naming conventions, etc.) is a mix of Germanic and British.

are you able to give us any hints of what similar combos might exist in the cities of Elden Ring's world?
Missed this earlier but:

As I've said before, GRRM and From like to pull from everywhere in terms of influence when world building. Bloodborne and Sekiro are kind of the odd ones out in this regard because the latter takes place in fictionalized Japan and the former takes place in a singular city and its surrounding areas, so it was a bit more easy for them to be singularly focused. Whereas there's a bit more freedom to explore when you're creating a globetrotting story like ASOIAF or a "world" like Dark Souls or Elden Ring. So I wouldn't say things are similarly cohesive here (which you can already get a glimpse of in the trailer, just compare the outfits and regalia of each character shown) because the scope is larger than that of those games. We'll get a bit more into why that is when I finish up my stuff with the lore post but I've yet to decide when I want to post that.

For naming conventions in particular, I don't know that there's a whole lot of intentional thematic or cultural overlap in that department. AFAIK it's done on a case by case basis.

and for reasons outlined both above and below (as well as the fact that I'm no well researched anthropologist or historian and have more of a casual passing interest) I'm not sure I can promise much of worth in that department as it would be more so picking stuff apart and trying to trace its lineage than anything overarching. Would probably be better to bother GRRM about it should he ever decide to talk about it. If I can dig through anything of particular interest and write something of worth about it I'll consider doing it in the future but it's not something I'm going to promise.

That's cool Omni thanks for the insight.

I personally think ASOIAF feels very influenced by our history and culture and not quite a bubble on it's own. GRRM seems like the type that would jump at the chance to share what inspires him like historic laws and tensions. Even the wall and the politics around it are a very obvious reference.

These are the kind of 'inspirations' I expected rather than a copy paste of a culture's mythos. I don't know anything about the rumours that have been circulating but from the posters impression it made it sound like Elden Ring will be completely removed from anything.

Also know nothing about the rumours other than the fake norse stuff before the announcement.
And to respond to this:

I'm not saying it's in its own bubble and that it's not inspired by our real world. I've said quite the opposite on a few occasions in this very thread.

What I am saying is that ASOIAF as a whole can't really be singularly attributed to any singular or handful of cultures, histories or fictional influences, because it pulls from everywhere, which is what helps make it feel diverse and unique. So to say that ASOIAF is heavily based on or inspired by Norse or Celtic/Gaelic mythology isn't really the case. There are singular parts of ASOIAF that are inspired by Norse and Celtic/Gaelic history and mythology for sure, but there are plenty of parts that aren't and the parts that are inspired by it are more light inspirations that have been hyperbolized to be more engaging in a fantasy world and or mixed with other things.

For example: The Greyjoy's and the Iron Islands and the Starks and the North. All of the above are clearly inspired by Nordic culture with the Greyjoy's and Iron Islands adopting more stereotypical Viking culture and the Stark's adopting what is more close to Germanic Paganism and bits of that mythology. But there's a lot more to both of these houses and their character in terms of inspiration and function within the universe, such the Greyjoy's worshiping a Lovecraftian god.

Then when you really think about it, despite both houses being large parts of the immediate story being told within ASOIAF, they're not huge parts of the world as a whole. So what seems like a "major influence" in context is actually fairly small, because influences and inspirations of similar importance are peppered all throughout the world of ASOIAF, like the Dothraki or places like Qarth. Yes GRRM will take influence from A, but he'll also take influence from B, C, H, Q, X, so on and so forth. So the end result feels like an actual world of its own rather than just wholesale lifting of elements from our real world. This is the point I was trying to get at.

As for the rumors. Basically what happened was 4chan, well known bastion of completely factual information, had a rumor circulating shortly after the original ER leak that claimed a number of things such as the game running on UE4 and having a class system, being open world, but one of them was that the game was based on Norse Mythology, and it was accompanied by an image of a Milwood Knight from DS3's Ashes of Ariandel DLC

For some reason, perhaps because there was an overlap in the 'open world' part (which is guesswork or piggybacking at best), or because of the idea that From introduces hints for their next game with NPC's that are usually out of place for the world that they inhabit, at least culturally. People picked up on that part and seem to have ignored the rest, aside from maybe the UE4 part and decided that it was factual because reasons. Then you have the broken telephone effect and confirmation bias kicking in with people repeating that false rumor over and over and over again until it became ""'"""fact"""""" in general consciousness. Because of people's general understanding of Norse Mythology seems to begin and end with pop culture like the MCU or God of War 2018, pale people with long blonde hair and a hammer are automatically Thor or at the very least Nordic and any female individual with a wing motif is a Valkyrie.

Then you have youtubers repeating that and amplifying it to larger audiences and games journalists picking it up because clickbait and you end up with the mess we have now. This of course wasn't the only rumor nor the only one to originate from 4chan (as there was an especially shitty one that should probably be left to history) and other low effort ones from Reddit but for some reason this is the only one that people latched on to.

Whirlpool

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe folks thought Elden Ring was coming out March or April 2020. It was always Spring 2021 at the earliest

Where are you getting Spring 2021 from?

Things get delayed internally all of the time, and it's not like this year was thrown out the window. I guess it's good to realize that this could be a while, especially with the pandemic going on, but we don't have the information to say that it was always going to be released next year.

Jan 21, 2019
It's more convenient to target a 109 million selling console and a ~50 million selling one rather than two shady upcoming platforms that not many can afford in a first moment.
Except the people who buy these shady consoles on launch are the people who spend thousands upon thousands on games and buy games like Souls way more than the people who bought a PlayStation for Fifa. You are right but calling new consoles shady is an exaggeration and having your prestigious game ready on these new platforms with some bells and whistles is definitely not a dumb decision.