• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Well they just outright stated that. lol

guess they didn't want to keep that a secret for X months.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
This does very little for me. I don't care about russians or americans or whatever. I want monsters and spooky bullshit and coming of age bullshit. I know we'll get that too, but still.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
There is more than likely a twist now that they revealed he's back so early. Either way, I'm disappointed he's back because any emotional weight that was given due to his "death" with the letter at the end of S3 has little to no impact to me after this reveal.

They probably revealed it on their own terms now because as it gets more into production and marketing comes out they can't hide it.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Well they just outright stated that. lol

guess they didn't want to keep that a secret for X months.

I'm not sure why they even kept it a secret at the end of S3. Trying to keep one of your leads under wraps while filming is almost impossible anyway and it would hamstring the marketing department when cutting trailers, etc. And prevent Harbour from being a part of the initial wave of the publicity tour for S4.

Plus he would have to dodge an onslaught of questions during Black Widow PR in a couple of months.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It would have made far more sense if Brennan was the prisoner.

We already know that the Upside Down is a 1:1 with the real world, so I honestly have no idea how Hopper could have ended up in Russia.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
This does very little for me. I don't care about russians or americans or whatever. I want monsters and spooky bullshit and coming of age bullshit. I know we'll get that too, but still.
Ha, yeah. Frankly, the entire story of Stranger Things is total bullshit to me, I'm not interested in that stuff in the slightest. The cast is absolutely amazing though and makes watching the show a delight. Here's hoping season 4 won't forget the fun - but I would argue that if anything Stranger Things only became sillier as time went on, so I'm not worried in that regard.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, would they have been able to hide it? Harbour is a charismatic guy, he vibes well with the cast and i don't think they would have not included him on the promo / press tour prior to season 4.
Also, his exclusion would have made cutting trailers and promos super awkward i guess.

So it's probably better to reveal it right now and not weirdly tip-toe around the not-so-secret secret.

It's not like they didn't make it abundantly clear at the end of season 1 that Eleven wasn't dead.

It's not the reveal that he's still alive, that'll excite people, it's the thrill of when and how the protagonists are going to find out and when and how they'll team up again.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Ha, yeah. Frankly, the entire story of Stranger Things is total bullshit to me, I'm not interested in that stuff in the slightest. The cast is absolutely amazing though and makes watching the show a delight. Here's hoping season 4 won't forget the fun - but I would argue that if anything Stranger Things only became sillier as time went on, so I'm not worried in that regard.
Yeah, I'm not all that worried. I just don't want them to go Chris Carter all over the series and have some conspiracy or mythos take over. I had a bit of a scare when Eleven went on her own little adventure that one time, but that didn't go anywhere, thank jebus.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
The ending of Season 3 was so clearly clearly clearly not his death, but people bent over backwards to insist it was for ????????? reasons,, so I don't get complaining about a reveal that was so obvious. If anything, it would suck massively for them to treat the extremely obvious thing as a big reveal down the line.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cool, seemed very obvious from what happened last season but at least they didn't let it drag on, never know though, maybe there is another....

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Love it. Knew he'd be back so I'm glad they just got it out of the way and revealed it now. For David's sanity I'm sure he's glad he doesn't have to keep hiding that he's back to the press and fans lmao. Also cool to see Tom Wlaschiha (Jaqen from GoT) in S4.

They really brought Hopper back huh

The nice season 3 ending was wasted

It was always super obvious he was coming back. Never trust deaths in a tv show unless you actually see them die. They even had a voicemail from Murray Bauman right after S3 that you could find if you called a specific number, and it teased that Hopper was alive. David Harbour even changed his profile pic on instagram to the various numbers of the phone number over a couple of weeks to get people to call it.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you follow their typical production schedule thusfar, S4 could drop late fall of this year yep. S5 (final season) would then drop summer of 2022.

Gonna guess S4 in November or December 2020, S5 in July 2022.
I thought S4 was the final. Didn't know they had 5 planned.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Once they greenlit season 4, I knew Hopper would be back. I'm interested to see how he survived though.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
It would have made far more sense if Brennan was the prisoner.

We already know that the Upside Down is a 1:1 with the real world, so I honestly have no idea how Hopper could have ended up in Russia.

Not really.

It would make more sense for Brenner to be revealed as the person in charge of the Russian program.

He'd defect in a heartbeat if they allowed him to continue his research.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what the tone of next season will be. I liked Season 3 but it felt like a caricature of the first two seasons with the goofball turned up to 11 and traits over-exaggerated to absurdity. I mean, I'm down for more of that, I suppose, since it's fun.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like an interesting angle. At least they didn't have the audacity to tease it as if we didn't all know that he was alive

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
The ending of Season 3 was so clearly clearly clearly not his death, but people bent over backwards to insist it was for ????????? reasons,, so I don't get complaining about a reveal that was so obvious. If anything, it would suck massively for them to treat the extremely obvious thing as a big reveal down the line.
This is where I'm at. In a series that drips with 80s nostalgia and homages, an off screen death is absolutely 150000% not an actual death. Even if Hopper wasn't The American there was absolutely zero chance he was actually dead.

Edit: To add to that, the fact that 11 "lost" her powers at the end of Season 3 so she can't just immediately reach out and find him was another giant arrow pointing to Hopper not actually being dead.

Also lol at thinking this negates his death and the impact of the letter. Everyone still thinks he's dead except for the audience, and when he's reunited with everyone he now gets to act on all the talk he talked in the letter. Fuck all the way off with giving characters breakthroughs and then killing them off so you never follow through on their growth.

Also surprised that people still don't get that they dialed the humor up in 3 to counterbalance the massive upswing in gore and body horror.

Last edited:

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Really excited for the next season. It was clear at the end of season 3 he wasn't dead. They didn't show the body. They didn't show the actual act of him dying.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
seems really obvious. I had kinda hoped it was her dad since he is supposedly not dead and that would be interesting.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Never thought he would actually be dead but revealing it now makes sense so that they don't have to keep pretending over the next few months.

I just finished season 3 last month and thought it was great. Looking forward to S4.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm good with this show lol... The first season was the peak, and it's been downhill ever since. I really don't want to invest in another season like the last 2.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they didn't do the same thing some other shows have done recently and change the story due to people guessing things.

I mean, it's impossible for me to know if they've changed anything due to that, but so many people were guessing Hopper was still alive that I figure it would be the thing to change if they were going to change anything. I just don't want another Westworld season 2.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
how are people still shocked by hopper being alive

they showed the gate remaining open coinciding with the voiceover "leave the door open 3 inches"

it was like the most obvious tell ever

Oct 27, 2017
people must truly not understand vert basic visual storytelling anyone through hopper was ever actually supposed to be dead. 'suddenly character disappears' is totally not how you kill of a character.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are people actually surprised by Hopper? I dont think that's actually it. Everyone knew he'd be back. I'm surprised he's in Russia, I thought for sure they'd reintroduce Brenner that way, but Hopper was always coming back.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well, i'd think if you started to watch the series you might just continue watching them. If you can't wait / don't want to, spoilers below.

Russians secretly invade Hawkings, build a lab underneath the new mall and try open a gate to the Upside Down.
The kids, Hopper and the other invovled parents find out and try to stop them.

During the final, Hopper gets left behind in order to keep a russian military hitman in the room where the gate was about to open and during the fight the machine blows up and Hopper is nowhere to be seen.
It's left open what happened, but there's been a tease in form of a russian communication that talks about an "american" located in one of their prisons.

So people have been speculating that Hopper jumped into the Upside Down before the gate closed and the machine blew up and was taken from there by the russians.
:/
How was it received?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the show. I'm good with it, it was obvious he was alive after last season and they're not going to kill the co-lead of the show anyway.

Yes, season 1 will always have a sense of mystery that you can't replicate once you let the monsters out of the box as it were, but I still enjoy the show a lot and hope they continue it into the early 1990s. Do it up.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
What if Hopper isn't 'The American' and this is footage of him after being captured whilst trying to find 'The American' 🤔
Seems weird for them to blow their load on it already. I guess it is valentines though.