• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do millennials give low quality customer service?

• Yes

Votes: 203 27.1%
  • No

Votes: 547 72.9%

• Total voters

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Don't know what else I can say after that title. Us millennials seems to have this, "f this s, they don't pay me enough to deal with this". Which is understandable, but don't take it out on the customer? Older folk seem to do just fine honestly. No I'm not complaining, just passing on my observation. How are your experiences regarding this? Am I correct or am I wrong?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This is not a generational thing at all. Shitty customer service has always existed, it's just usually at jobs you see younger people take.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With that attitude, maybe it's you.

The worst customer service experiences I've had are from older folks, anecdotes are fun

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about teenagers or adults? Because teenagers A) are not Millennials and B) have been lazy at their jobs throughout all of human history.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
People treat customer service workers like shit, and the pay is shit. I think in general most people are doing their best.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of time they don't even have real power to address the problem, and are just up shits creek because the employer is half assing it and the customer needs something address.

Jan 29, 2018
Many millennials are in their late 30s. Before we go to far, you aren't someone who uses "millennial" as a synonym for "damned teenagers", are you?

Oct 25, 2017
I've never really had a shitty customer service experience, but maybe it's because I empathize with the shitty job and try to treat the person with respect.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Have you been in a store in America recently? The customer service people are overbearing to the point I leave the store. I just want to be left alone

Deleted member 225

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about people don't treat customer service people like garbage, no matter their age? Just because someone is young doesn't mean they need to put up with whatever people want.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
CS has dipped but these jobs are lower paid, lower trained, and more automated than ever to squeeze out every last drop of profit.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's the workers fault. It's the companies fault for deciding that customer service isn't worth spending money on.

One of the main culprits is not paying good money to retain good staff so nobody gains any experience and passes it onto the new staff.

Customer service reps who don't know what to do if the thing you are complaining/asking about doesn't fit perfectly into a pre existing script annoy me greatly. But it's not their fault, they are not allowed to think critically and make a decision on their own.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really like people, and yet I've worked customer service for most of my life.

Shit doesn't make sense I tell you!

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Don't know what else I can say after that title. Us millennials seems to have this, "f this s, they don't pay me enough to deal with this". Which is understandable, but don't take it out on the customer? Older folk seem to do just fine honestly. No I'm not complaining, just passing on my observation. How are your experiences regarding this? Am I correct or am I wrong?

You get what you pay for. Also, most service employees are boomers / older, not millennials.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
thats why we should be realistic and tell young people there is a stronger likelihood they'll be filling frostees than becoming astronauts and lawyers.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Better yet, I wonder how long we'll hear about those pesky millennials whenever people are talking about teenagers

To be fair, the term "millennial" has never made sense. When you hear it, your first thought is "person born in the new millennium," which would be a teenager today. The fact that it's actually someone born in the 80s/90s is counterintuitive.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I haven't noticed that. Not sure how much wages and training have to do with it, customer service has always seemed to be tied more to personality.

I will say that if I see someone complaining to or reaming out an employee, it's usually an older customer.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, the term "millennial" has never made sense. When you hear it, your first thought is "person born in the new millennium," which would be a teenager today. The fact that it's actually someone born in the 80s/90s is counterintuitive.

That's definitely true

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
from my experience if you pay people shit to do shit work they arent gonna put all their effort into it

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
There's no correlation between generations and quality of customer servics. It's entirely a personality thing. Anecdotally, it's the opposite in my organization. Many of the older boomer employees DGAF.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Customer service is better then ever. Buy everything from my phone. Chat based help support. What are y'all complaining about?

Mar 5, 2019
Thinking back to when I worked at retail as a teenager, it's likely that people confused my anxiety of dealing with dissatisfied customers with me not giving a shit.

Oct 28, 2017
"Service with a smile" expectations make me want to top myself, both when expected to give it and receiving it. I'm there for whatever I'm buying, not to get some sort of revelatory experience. As long as they fulfill the role and I get what I need, I'm good. Don't mind if they look neutral, sad or whatever. They're another human and have their own life to worry about and shouldn't be expected to completely turn that off for others sake. I'd expect others to give me the same courtesy.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
So many times during the course of my day I want to ask, when did you start hating your job so much that you present and service someone like this?

Pride in ones work is often a lost art.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

Millennials ARE older folks at this point. What age people are you talking about?

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

It refers to coming of age in during the new millennium. Like The Lost Generation is named so because they came back "lost" after WWI and The Greatest Generation because they came of age in WW2. As far as I can tell, it's often when people come of age.

Customer service is often bad because they aren't paid enough or treated well or even given agency to fix problems. It's not a generational thing.

Oct 27, 2017
depends on the company values and recruitment

i've had the most amazing experiences with customer service at places like Chick-fil-A, In-N-Out and Whataburger. They hire the the best "millennial", most of them are very polite highschool and college students.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
I just got out of retail (again), and my experience with that is this: I'm not paid enough to take bullshit from people. I've made it clear to people when they cross a line with me, but I do it respectfully. I can't speak for others, but at the end of the day, companies (in terms of retail) today seem to care less about their customer-facing employees, shrinking staffing budgets, incentives, etc. that put a lot of strain on employees.

Not to say they're entitled to be jerks unwarranted, but it's far from being a generational thing.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many times during the course of my day I want to ask, when did you start hating your job so much that you present and service someone like this?

Pride in ones work is often a lost art.

Jobs maybe should be something we can find pride in, rather than being treated as an expendable resource.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If everyone ou consider a millennial gives you bad services maybe check how you are approaching those you consider a melinial?

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Era loves to do this with the millennial tag line.

You're old and most likely also a millennial. Stop it.

Deleted member 225

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen multiple naked homeless men working in customer service. Ass and penis and all. You try giving someone a smile when you just witnessed that shit.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Working retail is basically just free mental abuse, so it's understandable that most people don't give a shit while they are there. Granted, this becomes much easier to avoid under good management with good coworkers that can help you ignore all the bullshit that comes with working full-time and still not being able to afford rent.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I've worked in customer service for years and have never observed this.

I was prepared to fire back with a "baby boomers are worse and entitled" but honestly that isn't even true either. All my coworkers across all age groups are largely giving the same amount of effort and quality, which is typically set by the amount of training received, the wage, and the work culture.