• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Pac-Man dead?

• He's dead, Jim.

Votes: 94 46.3%
  • I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more Pac-Man.

Votes: 109 53.7%

• Total voters

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
For those of you too young to know, Pac-Man was Mario before Mario. I know Mario was in Donkey Kong (1981), but he didn't become a cultural phenom until Super Mario Bros. (1985), whereas Pac-Man was a pop culture icon from his initial introduction in 1980.

It was a game made for arcades, but had success on the early home consoles, a TV show, featured in various movies, etc., and of course, songs...

Not to mention, an incredibly hot wife...

24987283d38c804c541968ddf0d0cd9c.jpg

There's no question Pac-Man is still an icon, despite not releasing a relevant video game in years, perhaps decades. But my question is regarding his viability as a video game seller. Would anyone care about a new Pac-Man game? Is there anything that could be done to make this character relevant to today's scene? Surely he can guest star in a bunch of games and get a quick laugh, but can he carry his own game and actually have that game move big numbers?

We can't say it's age, Mario still sells plenty to this day. Maybe it's his style of game (arcade/puzzle)? They've tried various genres with him, but I think he has a stigma of being "too old fashioned." What say you? Is there more life left in this icon, or is he better off left in the past?

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
The series is in a pretty bad spot right now, but it's still my favorite series and if a new Pac Man World game or sequel to Pac Man Adventures in Time were announced, it would be the best video game announcement for me. I mean even anything unique, something beyond just rehashing the arcade maze style again, would be great

Last edited:

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
My first game was Pac-Man World, and I have the foundest memories of playing it with my brother.
If a new game or a collection was announced it would make me so happy.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
We just had a Pac Man Battle Royale released on Stadia (yeah I know...) in November of 2020

youtu.be

Pac-Man Mega Tunnel Battle - Official Battle Royale Trailer

The 64-player experience, Pac-Man Mega Tunnel Battle, is available now on Google Stadia. Check out the launch trailer.#ign

Pac Man also had a cartoon earlier this decade. Pacman will continue to get new games and other merch made until the heat death of the universe.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX was one of the best PSN games I played on the PS3. I haven't played the sequel yet and it's probably not as good but I don't think it's dead. All Pac-Man need is a Tetris Effect-like Pac-Man game. The Pac-Man Effect.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
The CE series is great, Battle Royale looks great although it's tied up in Stadia exclusivity for now, and 256 is great. These aren't massive Mario-esque hits, of course, but "irrelevant" is a bit much. These are all way better games than the attempts at making platformers and such in the 90s.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Pac-Man really doesn't need to be reinvented to take on Mario or whatever, Namco have realised that his place in the market nowadays is selling a shit ton of merchandise through nostalgia and retro appeal. Go to an arcade and you'll see new Pac-Man machines literally everywhere, from ticket redemption stuff and air hockey to Battle Royale, and they'll probably have crane games full of plushies too.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
PacMan is basically video game design language at its most basic. Not much you can do other that release excellent takes on the games--DX, Battle Royale.

I'd love another 3D platforming game.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
For the most part people are always going to know what "pac man" is, especially in gaming, but as a financially viable IP, its probably dead. Knowing about something/cultural relevance is different from people knowing/liking a thing enough to spend money on it.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Aside from retro-styled games, Pac-Man is done.

He's a cheese wheel that ate white dots. It'll always be iconic, but there's only so much you can do with that before you've made a game that is unrecognizable as Pac-Man.

It's alright to let old stuff rest.

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for a gripping reboot, charting a harrowing coming of age journey as he guides Pac-Boy through the dead, ghost ridden wastelands of the apocalypse.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Pac-Man is and will always be an icon and an important part of video game history. Whether or not there will ever be a good game in the series ever again is irrelevant.

As for new games, I don't see him ever returning to his glory days. Any new release is probably just gonna be derived from the originals and I think that's totally fine.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Pac-man Championship Edition, and Championship Edition DX were amazing. It's a shame Championship Edition DX 2 didn't live up to those games. Whoever directed DX2 didn't seem to understand what made DX so great and is one of my biggest disappointments of the last decade. 256 was also a lot of fun at least.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
They should reboot the Hanna Barbera version of Pac Man who looked and sounded like a round, discolored and constipated Fred Flintstone, that would get some buzz going.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
There was a Pac-Man animated series recently, there's been a ton of re-releases of old Pac-Man titles lately across a whole bunch of platforms, including Arcade 1Ups cabinet releases, merchandise is everywhere, and Paccy even made his way into Smash.

How could anyone fathom that Pac-Man is dead?

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Considering Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 is, to my mind, the best Pac-Man game ever and it's available on all current platforms, I'm gonna say no.

It has been awhile since its release, though, and I'd love to see a follow-up announced.

Oct 27, 2017
There's only so many ways you can keep remixing what is a fairly simple game/concept. Either go the Bomberman direction and lose sight of wtf you're doing, or go the Tetris direction and just recoat it with some slightly different gimmick. Either way, it had little room to grow

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I was just looking at the PS2/DS/Wii era, when they used to release all kinds of Pac-Man games.

It looks like Pac-Man is another casualty of the HD era, with ballooning development costs preventing the development of quirkier titles like these.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol nah he's not dead. The brand brings in plenty of money, mainly through merchandise and not traditional videogames

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pacman's alive.

His contemporaries are a different story.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
I once read in an old EGM interview that it was meant to be called Puck-Man, but was changed because the P could be scratched into an F.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pac-Man isn't dead, but he's in a semi-retirement, coming out every now and then to relive the good old days and making appearances, but mostly keeping to himself in his glorious Pac-Mansion.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
A Pac-Man game that did something different and catchy could easily get big on mobile. The problem is with the formula being changed ever so slightly or throwing him into other genres that just never caught on.

He had a new cartoon I thought early last decade, so he's not dead. They just can't figure out what to do with him. The arcade stuff I've seen at Dave and Buster's is exactly where Pac-Man belongs, it's just a shame arcades have been dying for a long time.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I think some studio will take it on and find a way to expand upon the original concepts for this game. The same treatment tetris is getting I could see this getting as well.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Of course he's not dead. But there are only so many ideas for dot-munching maze games before they aren't dot-munching maze games anymore, and therefore aren't Pac-Man.

I think that all things considered, Namco have done a pretty good job periodically churning out games that remix Pac-Man in new and interesting ways: Pac-Man Vs., Pac-Man CE, Pac-Man 256, and so on. We don't get annual iterations or big-budget titles for him, but Pac-Man doesn't need those and wouldn't benefit from them.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Pac-Man CE and CE DX are two of the greatest games of all time.

256 was also a bunch of fun.

Pac-Man, like Mario will never die, he just needs to be reinvented and re-examined time and time again.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
At this point idk what can be done with it, Championship Edition imo was the last great game

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They'll always refresh the IP with a new title every now and then to keep the merchandise money going. It's an evergreen cash cow. There's a reason it's one of the highest grossing franchises ever.

Gouf

May 17, 2018
How was the Pac-man multiplayer game on Google Stadia? I didn't get to play it.
It's actually a pretty good battle royale game. The problem is that the playerbase on Stadia is so dead that you're playing against bots that are dumb as dirt pretty much all of the time.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The series peaked with the Championship Edition games and the best idea imo is to keep re-releasing them while experimenting with spin-offs. I'd like to see a new 2D platformer, or 3D if Namco is feeling ambitious.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you need games when you can just sell merch to guys in their late 30s and feature in any movie tangentially related to video games?

I kid (sorta). Really though most people view pac-man with nostalgia but the game itself gets old pretty quickly when compared with modern games. It'll stay dead game-wise unless they can find away to Tetris Effect it imo

Last edited: