• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for a reference guide to how to interact with the police in a way that doesn't get you killed. Traffic stops, etc...

We come from a culture that doesn't have trigger happy police and I'm really concerned for them.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking for a reference guide to how to interact with the police in a way that doesn't get you killed.

There isn't one (other than "be white," which still isn't a guarantee). That's kind of thing about interacting with an unstable sociopath, is there's no rulebook to follow to make them behave rationally.

OP
OP
spineduke

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't one (other than "be white"). That's kind of thing about interacting with an unstable sociopath, is there's no rulebook to follow to make them behave rationally.

We're Arab but have much fairer skin, could pass as greek/italian. Not sure if that helps or makes it worse haha

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In 2018, 992 people were shot and killed by police in the US. 400 of them did not have a gun, so let's assume you aren't travelling around armed and use that number.
While police shootings are a serious problem that need to be addressed, I would spend more time actively worrying about skin cancer, car crashes, and mosquito bites than rogue police officers killing you for going 10 mph over the speed limit.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In 2018, 992 people were shot and killed by police in the US. 400 of them did not have a gun, so let's assume you aren't travelling around armed and use that number.
While police shootings are a serious problem that need to be addressed, I would spend more time actively worrying about skin cancer, car crashes, and mosquito bites than rogue police officers killing you for going 10 mph over the speed limit.
Oh it's fine if it's just a stat then

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
992 out of 327 million.

RIP OP's friend.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just love when people barge in to minimalize murder by police and mass shootings with facts and logics, it never fails.

Deleted member 9972

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh it's fine if it's just a stat then
As I say in the post, it is a serious problem in America that we need to improve on. But 3 out of every 1 million people were shot last year in Texas by police. It is not something reasonably worth worrying about happening to yourself, unless you worrying about choking every time you eat or trees falling on you when you walk under them.

Ivan2Nguyen

Oct 25, 2017
Dallas, does it make a difference?

I don't mean this as standoffish, I'm asking because I genuinely don't know
From Wikipedia

Dallas is a "beta(+)" global city.[14][15] Dominant sectors of its diverse economy include defense, financial services, information technology, telecommunications, and transportation.[16] Dallas is home to 9 Fortune 500 companies within the city limits. The Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex hosts additional Fortune 500 companies, including American Airlines (Fort Worth), ExxonMobil (Irving), and J. C. Penney(Plano). Over 41 colleges and universities are in its metropolitan area which is the most of any metropolitan area in Texas. The city has a population from a myriad of ethnic and religious backgrounds and one of the largest LGBT communities in the U.S.[17] WalletHub named Dallas the fifth most-diverse city in the U.S. in 2018.[18]

I'm not saying it automatically makes them safe, but it isn't like they are unwelcoming to outsiders.

May 25, 2019
London
They will most likely be fine. If they ever get pulled over, just tell them to be respectful and be transparent with the officer about what you're doing. Hands should sit on the wheel so they're visible; tell the officer you have to go into the glovebox/console for your registration card, etc.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling, Inflammatory generalizations
Is he gonna be an handsome white expat or a filthy brown immigrant? This is important to how the police will treat him, and how era feels about him as well. Expats can go to hell!

Deleted member 9972

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And now look at europe numbers, from wiki it seems atleast 20x less, for 700mil+, unless the wiki is missleading.
You can both have a problem that needs to be addressed, while also recognizing that the problem has a very, very small chance of occurring and should not be on your worry list of things that might kill you.

Last edited:

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the families of the thousands of yearly victims feel better knowing that technically there was a very small chance they would be killed by a maniac
You're being overly hostile to someone who's, as I'm reading it, simply trying to reassure someone that their friend shouldn't have too many fears (nor OP themselves) of this thing happening to them whilst simultaneously not trying to diminish the severity of the problem.

Deleted member 41638

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Looking for a reference guide to how to interact with the police in a way that doesn't get you killed. Traffic stops, etc...

We come from a culture that doesn't have trigger happy police and I'm really concerned for them.

Be polite, treat them with the same respect you would a waiter or something. Do what they say. Don't talk back or ask a bunch of questions.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas is a major city, there is already a lot of diversity there. The cops have seen plenty of minorities before. Your friend will be fine.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
You can both have a problem that needs to be addressed, while also recognizing that the problem has a very, very small chance of occurring and should not be on your worry list of things that might kill you.
Yea, but without killing there is a lot of abuse in the states for non white people from cops, like going to jail for doing nothing, so his friend can and I think should worry about this.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yes, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin and Marfa (forgive me if I'm forgetting any) are different than smaller cities in the state. Your friend will be fine.

This

Been living in Texas for over 20 years and haven't had any issues

Went to Kilgore last year and that was the only time a police officer stopped me

I was so used to driving my Lexus with it's automatic lights to turn on the lights that I forgot to manually turn on the lights on a ford rental car I was driving.

Nothing bad happened, just told me to make sure to have my lights on while driving 😂

Ironically enough we had a small conversation about IT and his father apparently worked for the company I am at years ago.

——

Just make sure you are familiar with the local/state laws, don't do anything strange/bad - and you will be okay.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas has a good police force. And is a diverse city. Be way more worried about the bad drivers and crime than police.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Irving I think is the most diverse city in the country so your friend should be okay in most of DFW.

If he can pass for Greek/Italian then he'll be 100% okay most anywhere in the US.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure the families of the thousands of yearly victims feel better knowing that technically there was a very small chance they would be killed by a maniac

What are you even on about? Stop straw manning other posters and trying to start shit for no reason ffs.

OPs friend will almost certainly be fine and statistically there are a lot more things to worry about first while living in America. Dallas, I've lived there before, and I'd be more worried about OPs friend simply driving in that city period, it's way more of a risk to his life.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
This

Been living in Texas for over 20 years and haven't had any issues

Went to Kilgore last year and that was the only time a police officer stopped me

I was so used to driving my Lexus with it's automatic lights to turn on the lights that I forgot to manually turn on the lights on a ford rental car I was driving.

Nothing bad happened, just told me to make sure to have my lights on while driving 😂

Ironically enough we had a small conversation about IT and his father apparently worked for the company I am at years ago.

——

Just make sure you are familiar with the local/state laws, don't do anything strange/bad - and you will be okay.
I was expecting Vidor or something crazy. One of those "just drive through" when you're on your way to NOLA places. Dallas is no problem.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I feel a bit better already - thanks for the replies everyone. Stay safe!
Key things to remember:
- Police corruption is real and important to address
- The ResetEra bubble is also real and the stories you see posted here do not reflect most of society
- Your friend has a 99.9999% chance of being safe if they follow basic laws and common sense

Nov 9, 2017
DFW resident here. Dallas is a very liberal multi-cultural city with has a fairly larged sized Arab community. They should be fine

Deleted member 56909

Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
Depends what part of Texas your in. If it's the city centers like Austin (especially Austin) your like 75% safe unless Austin and it's more like 90 percent.
Edit: oh Dallas? You should be good then it's a very business focused city police there are pretty chill I think. I've been there a few times. And yeah Dallas drivers are actually the worst drivers i have ever seen. The streets are really cramped too.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Basically if you treat the police the same way you would treat a wild bear, you'll probably be fine in most interactions. If I was your friend, I would be more worried about dealing with the nightmare that is the US health insurance system.