• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm thankful for the bump as I missed this thread over Christmas.

SOMA was incredible, one of the best games of the generation. Their next game is long overdue!

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only other game this decade I played that had a story and atmosphere to match Horizon Zero Dawn. Must be a sucker for sci fi.

Oct 25, 2017
I know the chances of it happening are slim-to-none, but I would really love it if the next Frictional game is VR, with a non-VR option for players without a device. An Amnesia VR would quite literally give me a heart attack, but would be my preferable way to go out. Doing what I love.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
SOMA was frightening i hope the next one isn't sci fi, would love the see what they do in a more traditional sefting instead of the cience dialogue and space stations

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
i loved those live action shorts they did for SOMA.

I hope we get some teasers like the amazing Soma teasers and shorts.

i'm so damned pumped to see what Frictional are up to. I hope that it's an entirely new story and not a continuation of SOMA. I loved SOMA and it doesn't need a sequel or continuation, it was perfect and complete.

super pumped.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
But the setting, an underwater based, is very different from a spacestation. It's much more mundane. It's definitely a sci-fi horror as you put it, but it's very different from System Shock 2 or Prey. It relies less on futere tech and sci-fi stuff... doesn't it make sense?
The underwater station was definetly cool and creepy, that last section had me awed.

I was just exhusted by the end at Omicron this and Thetha that and Robots dont feel so dont care about them blah blah blah
Hoping the next one has a more mundane/grounded setting :^D

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Did you not play Penumbra or Amnesia?
I played some hours of AMNESIA before my PSN subscription ran out, i liked the setting but didn't really grabbed me or scared or anything, was enjoying a MACHINE FOR PIGS a little more despite its pacing, i was very impressed with SOMA though and a new game combining the strenghts of it and Amnesia would be amazing, top horror game

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I hate "hide from the monster" mechanics, but SOMA's story was on another level. I will play whatever they give me.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
But the setting, an underwater based, is very different from a spacestation. It's much more mundane. It's definitely a sci-fi horror as you put it, but it's very different from System Shock 2 or Prey. It relies less on futere tech and sci-fi stuff... doesn't it make sense?
What about Soma wasn't super sci-fi? The entire conceit of the game is based on hugely advanced tech.

Last edited:

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
unknown.png

the new "thing"

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĆ£o Paulo - Brazil
Accurate mind scanning and transfer, super advanced ai, functioning underwater habitats, hyper realistic virtual world creation, mass drivers. Nothing is mundane except the people.

It's one way to look at it. But Soma managed to tackle those themes is a way that didn't feel very divocerced from our time. Indeed, even if takes place in the future, for a while you don't really know it, even if you suspect things are wrong.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Most sci fi isn't divorced from the time it was made in. It is the nature of science fiction to deal with issues of the present through the lense of the future.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how to post pictures on mobile, but the picture is now of a human fetus.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I need to give SOMA another try. Something didn't click the first time but I keep reading how great it is.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I feel like I'm the only one who didn't love SOMA. I liked it well enough, but I felt Amnesia was better because it had more "game" to it, whereas SOMA cut back heavily on the adventure game aspects and was more of a walking sim.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
That appears to be an accurate representation of a human embryo/fetus after ~8 weeks of development.

Wondering if the new game is going to involve cloning and/or human genetic modification.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I need to give SOMA another try. Something didn't click the first time but I keep reading how great it is.
Happened to me as well, played for one or two hours, didn't feel it at all, dropped it for literally years before giving it a second try.

Result: Every once in a while my thoughts still go to how amazingly well crafted the story and atmosphere are in that game. Nowadays I put it straight up there with the likes of Silent Hill 2 as one of the all-time greats.

It is definitely not for everyone, but you owe it to yourself to give it another try, because when it clicks... GODDAMN does it click! And if it does, make sure to check out the Wikis and all the little live-action teaser videos as well, they do a great job at adding a few more extras to an already superb story.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I feel like I'm the only one who didn't love SOMA. I liked it well enough, but I felt Amnesia was better because it had more "game" to it, whereas SOMA cut back heavily on the adventure game aspects and was more of a walking sim.

I loved SOMA but I still think the gameplay was way too light. The hide and seek 'combat' especially was dreadful.

I really hope they can retool their core gameplay instead of going further into walking sim territory.

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that whatever Frictional is doing they include a VR mode for the game. And, yes, I do realize whatever they make in VR has a high probability of killing the player.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017

I don't get this, SOMA had a notorious mod that removed the enemies and threat of death so I don't see how it could be classified as a walking sim. There are also lots of puzzles (replayed it recently) that while they aren't very hard are still pretty fun and intuitive to the world.