• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
I've been watching Hugo (strange way to start this thread) -- and one scene describes the first motion picture was a just a train leaving the station; people would actually scream because they thought they'd get run over. This sounds ridiculous today, but it didn't back then.

The first time I've tried VR, I've played Resi 7, and -- much like the people in the theater -- I screamed in one of the levels, as I thought I was there.

So my question is, does the illusion eventually wear off? does frequently using the headset over time decreases the immersion? or do you still get fully immersed and "tricked"?

Apr 25, 2020
It depends on the game. The game has to be engaging and makes good use of VR. If it's just a slapped together port like the Bethesda games for example, it wears off quick.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Hasn't worn off for me and I've played pretty much every major VR release. Shit is dope.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Owned my headset for almost two years now. The immersion factor is as strong as ever, especially in stuff like Gorn.

It depends on the game. The game has to be engaging and makes good use of VR. If it's just a slapped together port like the Bethesda games for example, it wears off quick.

Yeah, this too. It really has to be a game designed for VR, not some hastily ported flatscreen game.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I wouldn't say so. True there is some stuff that isn't as impressive but then you have another experience that is just mind blowing and you feel the magic all over again.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For me, the sense of being there has diminished as my VR legs got better. I guess your brain acclimating to VR so you don't barf goes hand in hand with your brain realizing it's not real. Thus, the diminished sense of presence.

Though less impactful, there are still plenty of wow moments. Enjoying the shit out of the Iron Man VR demo. Gonna buy that for sure.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
It depends heavily on the game. When they're good, it feels like going at the arcade and it's taylored to be played over and over again. Then, it's fantastic. Beat Saber, WipEout, Astrobot, Echo VR, these table tennis games... It's legit amazing and it doesn't wear of. The "Wow effect" turns into the "I'm having the time of my life" effect and it's even better, I say.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. VR is still amazing and I just own PSVR. Can't even imagine what Half Life is like.

Biggest issue I have is just the setup is a process every time.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
The new *holy crap WOW* moments used to come on a daily basis back in 2016 when people were posting all kinds of demos and experiments regularly. Now I'd say they happen every month or so (Half Life: Alyx is still wowing the heck out of me), which is still amazing and magical.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2017
The contrast between VR and normal gaming makes VR feel different every time I play it.

greekwolf

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, it does. At least, I think for some people.

My first VR experience was with Until Dawn:Rush of Blood, and I''m convinced that I'll remember that first "WOW" moment for the rest of my life. Just that intro sequence with you slowly creaking along in the carnival chair down a long, dark hallway, with splatters of blood dripping down on your head from the title screen. It actually triggered my fight or flight response. It was magical.

After a couple months of experimenting with various VR games within every type of genre, I haven't been able to recapture that moment. You can certainly dig around through the library and find some compelling, engaging content but, at least for me, the suspension of disbelief has disappeared.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing it for seven years and no, the magic hasn't worn off. I have upgraded my experience over the years though, from wired to wireless, controller to hand and finger tracking, from sitting to full-body tracking at roomscale, and to better optics and more comfortable headsets.

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
The world you percieve is replaced by a virtual world. Unless you become dead to events and happenings in the real world, you're not going to become numb to their virtual equivalents.

You might not be wowed at the wonder of it all years down the line, but the illusion doesn't become any less believeable.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
The initial "wow this is what VR is like?" will, but the actual magic of what you can do in VR games and applications shouldn't considering even regular games ca wow you if they do stuff that feels new / unique / fun in ways that are different from your average title.

Similarly, if you experience nausea from your brains disconnect between what you see and hear movement wise, vs what your body feels (the lack of moment) is should wear off as you get used to it too.

Not to mention, consumer VR is about to hit some major milestones for things like variable depth focusing, foveated eye-tracked rendering, and overall quality if experience (and fidelity of interactivity).

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I got over that feeling within hours of playing VR for the first time but i am still always being impressed. VR is my preferred way to spend time with games. I bought a dang race sim rig specifically for VR.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Not saying it always "feels like the first time" or anything, but I am still wowed pretty regularly.

Flying near the plane in Iron Man VR was pretty incredible. I've put a few hours into the demo just doing the trials over and over already because going in there and flying around is just a genuinely fun, thrilling thing to do. I just replayed Tetris Effect on Quest and being immersed amongst all those visuals left me in a trance again. Both Walking Dead and Lies Beneath have given me several different kinds of "only in a VR horror game" moments over the past couple weeks. Covering yourself in zombie guts and walking gingerly through a horde can't be replicated like that in another medium.

I'm excited about all the advances coming in the medium over the next few years. I'm having a hard time working up too much enthusiasm over the next gen consoles, but the prospect of the next generation of VR gaming has me salivating. It's the only potential I see for a repeat of the kind of leap we had when we moved beyond the 16-bit era.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I've had my PSVR since launch and to be honest, there is magic that does indeed wear off, but not for VR games. In fact, it is harder for to fully enjoy a non-VR first or third person game without virtual reality.

It's these games played on a 2D display that have lost a lot of its magic. I constantly think to myself how much better said game would be in VR if it were an option.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
the feeling comes and goes. Its not as strong as it was at first and I havent forgotten im playing a video game in a long time not but I'm still wowed and experiencing new gameplay experiences I cant get with traditional gaming.

just finished the iron man demo and the feeling was great and I did feel a little in awe at some parts and cant wait for the full game.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The initial amazement of putting on the headset for the first time does as it's kind of hard to believe how convincing it is. The immersion does not. It's just that I'm able to slip in to that immersion more casually.

Dec 23, 2017
For some people, like myself, the magic does wear off.

But that's only because I've gotten used to the technology and have been VR gaming since 2016.

I'll never forget the initial wow moment I had when I first tried VR, and you shouldn't either. :)

I never get bored of putting on the headset and playing a VR game.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I feel it wears off at times for me, but then I'll play a new VR game that does something different and it's as amazing as the first time again.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I adapt fast and never actually get fully immersed, but even the 3D depth effect seems less prominent these days. Still enjoyable to play.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
when i first got a Rift my brain was pretty scrambled playing it then driving to the store for toilet paper or whatever. there were fleeting moments i was like "shit... is this real or ..."

it does do some goofy stuff to your mind and after awhile you acclimate.

as for "magic" well it varies from game to game, headset to headset. i imagine decades from now i'll still be bedazzled by most VR stuff but as it becomes the new normal and younger folk grow up with it it'll be about exhilarating as turning on your tv and putting a disc in your xbox or whatever

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
For me it's more of a threshold that is being pushed further. At first everything was impressive to me, but the good/great experiences raise the bar of what you expect and then some of the not so well made stuff is not that impressive any more.

Poor people that started out with Astro Bot or Half Life Alyx ;-)

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Since I got my oculus quest I never touched my PSVR again. I'm using VR all the time now since it's so convenient. Got a new GPU this weekend (RX 580) and are playing lots of PC VR stuff wirelessly.

Right now I'm knee deep into Elite Dangerous VR. That is quite an experience! Lost hours just listening to music and flying arround.

Also Serious Sam 3 in VR is nuts! Can't recommend it enough.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't actually played much VR (or games in general) lately, but no, I don't think so. Every time I go back in I'm just a bit astonished. It doesn't really grow old for me.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I'm using PlayStation VR and used to play it several times a week. Now it's mostly relegated to random times I want to replay something like Moss or when a demo like the Iron Man VR one drops.

When it comes to the magic fading, I mostly just tire of the wires. I was also bummed when the coating on the back headband started to peel off. I always wipe it down after I use it, so it still deteriorating is disappointing. I've been taking good care of it, IMHO.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not at all. Shitty VR implementation, as others have noted, ruin it, but that's not VR's fault. It's still mindblowing when done right.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It did for me, so I sold my Vive. Got the itch again and went with a Rift, two months later that was gone as well. Not had the urge since.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
You can get acclimatized to certain specific games, but every new game is always a new 'wow' situation for me, especially if its a new setting or game mechanic

Though I'll be honest, after playing Half Life Alyx, most VR games don't wow me as much, on the other hand it makes me really excited for future AAA VR titles...

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Not for me. Played most big and a lot of small titles in VR on PSVR, Quest and PCVR and I am still in love. Also games and graphics only get better. Half-Life: Alyx was the last milestone.

May 7, 2020
nope. its incredible even tho psvr is pretty shit. ill buy psvr 2 as soon is available. better resolution and controller that's all we need

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
My first few times in VR were kind of sensory overload. I would lose my balance standing next to a cliff or being on a fast roller coaster, my stomach would feel it more when I quickly moved around, and I think I appreciated the sense of scale of everything more. I was in awe of each new experience. 3 years in and my senses are less effected by VR which can be good or bad depending on if you get motion sick. I think you get accustomed fairly quickly to a lot of the sensations.

The immersion is still really good though even on the limited hardware of today. I still find the 3dness of everything amazing. Picking up objects and holding them close to the face to see every little detail on all sides will never get old. There are times when I'll enter a new area of a game where a little extra development time or budget must have been used and I'll pause for a minute or two to admire everything. These are glimpses of how great things are going to look in the years ahead. I find the current state of VR to be great and well worth the cost but once we can get higher fov and resolutions that awe factor will be right back. More high budget games will make a huge difference as well. I see VR as only getting better for me the more time that passes.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I've never really felt the magic. All the major headsets are hot and uncomfortable and give me a headache. Like it's hard for me to even play Alyx for a single hour at a time.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit my kids got the Occlus Quest and I'm blown away! VR is way better then I thought I'd be.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Revisiting older games that used to wow me, like Killing Floor: Incursion or Star Trek: Bridge Crew? Sure. But there's new experiences seemingly every few months that blow me away, ranging from Pistol Whip's fusion of light gun arcade cabinets and rhythm games, to Half-Life: Alyx's absolutely stellar immersive world or Walking Dead: Saints & Sinner's terrifyingly personal and physical melee combat.

I've had a VR headset since 2018 and was not expecting the platform to keep making my jaw drop, but I've never felt more immersed in a game than when I was taking cover from Combine gunfire, or plugging a new hole in a walker's skull with a screwdriver.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
In the same way the magic of driving your new car wears off, or new console feels, or other such things. But then you get a new game that does new stuff and you're blown away all over again.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Honestly, Skyrim VR is one of my favorite VR games (especially with motion controls), so I really don't agree with the criticism against it. The sense of scale is fantastic.

To answer the question, yes the magic wears off a tiny bit, but only because truly great games are few and far between. I've had my PSVR for about two years but the Iron Man demo still blew me away. However most VR releases don't get too much of a reaction out of me these days.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
It did for me. I bought a HTC Vice when it first released, was totally hyped for it and had a blast for about a month, and then...I just stopped using it. I dug it out of the closet for Half Life, played once for about 2 hours, and haven't been back since.

The tech is still super impressive, but I just find the whole thing to be too much of a hassle. And I don't really enjoy the experience of being completely removed from reality anymore. I think I need the tech to advance to the size of sunglasses before I'll hop on again.

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
It does to an extent, like you get used to it but it's still immersive like a really good pair of headphones for instance.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It hasn't for me, but it greatly depends on the game. Games that nail that 'presence' feeling are still mindblowing.