• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
French police has deservedly bad press these last few years for being violent and racist.
More like decades, even if it gain more visibility this last couple of years. But like Shugga said, it's not really the good topic to bring the subject.

About the subject at hand: this is the prefect responsible for the zone were this rave party took place, speaking about how irresponsible those people were 🤦‍♂️

EquGYHUXEAIhckE

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
If we could quarantine both cops and the rave on an island that would be ideal.

Since we can't, fuck those irresponsible partiers.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tell me about this " anti-virus gel'? It doesn't sound like it would do anything but I'm curious...

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goes to show that covid idiocy is not exclusive to the US, as much as some posters make it out to be.

I think most of the ones trying to make it sound like that are from the US and just want to sound cool. And there is this idealized view of the situation elsewhere.

The rest of the world knows how fucked up the situation really is because we have to deal with those idiots.

www.resetera.com

France: teargas grenade that killed woman 'may have been fired directly at her flat' - French police say it is accident and officer respected the rule News

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/02/france-teargas-grenade-that-killed-woman-may-have-been-fired-directly-at-her-flat Accidently fire into a fourth floor and not see someone up there, I don't think is really possible to not see someone, I live on 4th floor and I can see my family when...

www.resetera.com

Violent beating of Black man by police causes outrage in France - Police entered his studio without warrant and used gas grenade News

https://www.politico.eu/article/violent-beating-of-black-man-by-policemen-causes-outrage-in-france/

www.resetera.com

Paris police under fire for brutal teardown of migrants camp

https://apnews.com/article/international-news-paris-france-evacuations-f8a70b55ad7171507a0f2a5f69623edd https://www.france24.com/en/france/20201124-anger-mounts-over-police-use-of-excessive-force-to-clear-paris-migrant-camp https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55055914

If I remember correctly you are not French or even an European.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the coppers are here, hurry everyone form a coughing phalanx in their direction

Magni

More like decades, even if it gain more visibility this last couple of years. But like Shugga said, it's not really the good topic to bring the subject.

About the subject at hand: this is the prefect responsible for the zone were this rave party took place, speaking about how irresponsible those people were 🤦‍♂️

EquGYHUXEAIhckE

2021 and people still don't know how to wear a fucking mask.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Goes to show that covid idiocy is not exclusive to the US, as much as some posters make it out to be.

I would assume only (misinformed) US citizens would believe covidiocy is exclusive to the US; people in literally every other country only have to look out the window to realize otherwise.

An example from my own city:
www.healthplanspain.com

Thousands Protest In Madrid Against Use Of Face Masks - Sanitas Health Plan Spain

Thousands of Spanish citizens took to the streets of Madrid over the weekend in protest at the obligatory use of face masks and other restrictions imposed by the Spanish government to contain the coronavirus pandemic.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

EquGYHUXEAIhckE

I don't know who this or what that's saying but why is he wearing a mask if he isn't going to cover his nose?

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I think most of the ones trying to make it sound like that are from the US and just want to sound cool. And there is this idealized view of the situation elsewhere.

The rest of the world knows how fucked up the situation really is because we have to deal with those idiots.

Taiwanese

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I'm torn.

I'm for raves.
I'm against mass indoor gatherings during a pandemic.
I'm for cops getting their asses kicked.
Yeah no, please don't compare your racist bigot US cops to other countries police forces. Believe it or not, we do actually need them, to stop stupid shit like a dumb rave party in a fuckin pandemic.

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah no, please don't compare your racist bigot US cops to other countries police forces. Believe it or not, we do actually need them, to stop stupid shit like a dumb rave party in a fuckin pandemic.

You might be confused. ACAB doesn't stand for American Cops Are Bad, it's All Cops, and all means all. Hell, the origin of ACAB is from the UK.

If you think the problem is with Americans and not the fundamental concept of policing you should really do some more research.

Melville85

Banned
Nov 15, 2020
You might be confused. ACAB doesn't stand for American Cops Are Bad, it's All Cops, and all means all. Hell, the origin of ACAB is from the UK.

If you think the problem is with Americans and not the fundamental concept of policing you should really do some more research.

No matter where it's from, it's idiotic. Police are necessary for shit like this and many other things and they often put their lives on the line to help people like us. Some officers, especially in the US are not worthy of their position of authority but the concept of policing is not the issue. Or do you think if we take them away we everyone will just learn to behave?

ACAB is a ridiculous generalisation. As are most black and white generalisations.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017

I am genuinely curious what your solution to this is? I am all for defunding the police, wiping the slate clean, a do over (US)

But are you saying they should get rid of Belgian, French, German, UK police? And every single one of those officers are 'bad'?

You need to do some research if those are even remotely comparable to the police force in the US, here in Belgium an officer shot someone in the leg and it was front page news.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I am genuinely curious what your solution to this is? I am all for defunding the police, wiping the slate clean, a do over (US)

But are you saying they should get rid of Belgian, French, German, UK police? And every single one of those officers are 'bad'?

You need to do some research if those are even remotely comparable to the police force in the US, here in Belgium an officer shot someone in the leg and it was front page news.

A police control in Belgium is violent. Officers in plain clothes or in uniform in groups of up to ten, sometimes with police dogs, conduct controls on the streets, in cafés and parks.

The process can be volatile and humiliating. It can last up to 30 minutes, you might end up in the back of the police van being driven around, be stripped naked and searched either in the police van, or at the police station, you might be taken to the station simply because you don't have your I.D. on you, you might have plastic zip-ties tightened around your wrists, it might happen multiple times a day, you might be shot, run over and killed.

-https://www.brusselstimes.com/opinion/106285/state-brutality-against-moroccan-youth-in-brussels-and-the-urgency-for-police-accountability/

Yes, reform is needed and fire the bad cops.

On April 10, 2020, a 19-year-old young man of Moroccan hertiage, Adil, died while attempting to evade a police control at Place du Conseil in Anderlecht.

After leaving the Place by scooter, Adil was involved in a crash with a second police vehicle called to assist in the hunt for the young man. The young man died immediately.

This incident comes less than a year after the death of 17-year-old Mehdi Bouda, who was killed on August 20, 2019 by the police in Brussels. The young boy also of Moroccan heritage was trying to evade a police control and was hit by a police car and died.

A few months earlier, another youth was hit by the police while he was on his motorbike in Molenbeek-Saint-Jean on May 10, 2019, resulting in his hospitalisation.

It appears cars are the weapon of choice.

Defunding works for america because they have bloated budgets. In your parts, it would be training officers to stop running over Moroccans and getting rid of the ones that keep hitting them in the training simulator thinking its extra XP.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
-https://www.brusselstimes.com/opinion/106285/state-brutality-against-moroccan-youth-in-brussels-and-the-urgency-for-police-accountability/

Yes, reform is needed and fire the bad cops.

Defunding works for america because they have bloated budgets. In your parts, it would be training officers to stop running over Moroccans and getting rid of the ones that keep hitting them in the training simulator thinking its extra XP.
So you want a spotless record with zero incidents? And you know what, sure, reform could take place, i am not even arguing that, even though I wonder if you have the slightest idea of our situations in Antwerpen, Brussel and Anderlecht.

I am talking about the nonsense of getting rid of police forces entirely.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
So you want a spotless record with zero incidents? And you know what, sure, reform could take place, i am not even arguing that, even though I wonder if you have the slightest idea of our situations in Antwerpen, Brussel and Anderlecht.

I am talking about the nonsense of getting rid of police forces entirely.

Just a google illustrated theres likely some sensitivity/reform needed in your police force. Ideally yes a police force should have a spotless record that doesn't include running over a certain demographic with their cars. The goal should be perfection considering they have the power to kill you. Yes, reform should take place worldwide. America has a tough relationship with police because they were installed to catch runaway slaves. Not exactly to be law enforcement. We've got a prison population larger than some countries. There is a lot wrong with American police.

Im sure people who experienced police brutality in france wouldn't mind reform either and some defunding. Which doesn't mean totally abolish imo, but a reduction that keeps the peace realistically and strives for protection of the public. Which is what these officers in OP were doing. Pandemic considered and all.

Not sure the popular argument is to remove police and let us live in a Mad Max society.

Nov 2, 2017

The institution of policing hasn't been corrupted by "bad apples", the problems of policing exist at the fundamental nature of police. Police as an institution are just a wing of state violence intended to uphold the primacy of the capital class. Anyone who furthers those aims is bad, yes.

It doesn't make the people who further the police as an institution irredeemably bad, but step 1 to redemption from being part of the police is to stop doing the job of police. If you can swing this by fucking off and continuing to get paid by the police, great, keep the job, take their resources and don't do shit, but for most areas this is going to involve finding a different job. (And I should say, I definitely mean step 1 as there are further steps necessary if you've actually been doing the job.)

You talk about police defunding, which I am for, but I am for police defunding as a step towards abolition, that we take the tremendous resources being wasted on police (read: all resources spent on police) and use those resources on improving housing, mental health, and the various societal improvements that lead us towards dismantling the societal inequality that capitalism requires to function. Cops are the enforcers for capitalism, so I'm definitely in favor of defunding them, to reduce their size and shape as to make it easier to rid ourselves of them entirely. You know that Grover Norquist line about wanting "government so small it can be drowned in a bathtub"? That for cops.

Oct 28, 2017

I am and I can tell you that if it was brown people in banlieues doing the partying there would have been less tolerance.

You talk about police defunding, which I am for, but I am for police defunding as a step towards abolition, that we take the tremendous resources being wasted on police (read: all resources spent on police) and use those resources on improving housing, mental health, and the various societal improvements that lead us towards dismantling the societal inequality that capitalism requires to function. Cops are the enforcers for capitalism, so I'm definitely in favor of defunding them, to reduce their size and shape as to make it easier to rid ourselves of them entirely. You know that Grover Norquist line about wanting "government so small it can be drowned in a bathtub"? That for cops.
Many police have been used in that capacity, to be sure, but capitalist economies are not the only ones who have police services. They're fundamental to enforcing laws and rules.

As in this particular example, when a bunch of dumbasses decided to violate public health laws and violently resisted attempts to enforce those laws.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck these people for being so idiotic, and also fuck them for attacking the police.

And fuck them again for being so idiotic.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017

I think mostly people from the US posts such. Those posters self-pity is enormous and it seems folks think overseas is walhalla.
On topic. Fuck those people and fuck people who support them in this topic. Im strongly in favour of NOT locking up people so easely because its better to teach people then to punish. But fuck these people. Lock them up for a month and test them mandatory.

Soap NickTavish

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I'm torn.

I'm for raves.
I'm against mass indoor gatherings during a pandemic.
I'm for cops getting their asses kicked.

As it's been pointed out multiple times, what stupid post.

Gee, I wonder what's worse, the assholes partying during a pandemic involving a highly transmittable virus, or the ones trying to stop it?

The edgy shit doesn't apply to this situation.

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
France's giant curfew-busting party is over after two nights

Prosecutor Philippe Astruc said an investigation has been opened for "endangering others' lives," "deliberate violence" against police officers and drug-related offenses. Investigators found that organizers requested a financial contribution to take part in the party and that illicit drugs were in plentiful supply, Astruc said.

Police detained two people born in 1998 suspected of being organizers after a police search found money, illicit drugs and sound equipment in the Brittany town of Iffendic. Five other people were arrested as they were leaving the party for drug-related infractions and transporting sound equipment.
Emmanuel Berthier, head of the local state authority, said in a news conference Saturday that police issued at least 1,200 fines, including 800 for not respecting the virus curfew, not wearing a mask and illegally taking part in a gathering. Hundreds of people were also fined for using illicit drugs, he said.

Ravers from France and abroad converged on a hangar in Lieuron on Thursday night to party into the New Year. Officials said ravers attacked the police on the first night, torching one police vehicle and slightly injuring three officers with volleys of bottles and stones.

Video images showed lines of ravers' trucks and cars leaving on Saturday morning.

apnews.com

France's giant curfew-busting party is over after two nights

PARIS (AP) — A French prosecutor said police detained seven people Saturday, including two alleged organizers, after a New Year's Eve rave party drew at least 2,500 people in western France despite a coronavirus curfew and other restrictions.

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
French authorities charge man suspected of organising new year rave

French authorities have charged a suspected organiser of an illegal new year rave at which 2,400 people defied coronavirus rules, in a decision condemned by his supporters as an injustice.
The man, 22 and homeless, was arrested on Saturday in the van where he was living west of the city of Rennes and then charged late on Tuesday with organising an illegal event and putting the lives of others in danger, said the Rennes prosecutor Philippe Astruc.
He was also remanded in custody, given the risk of communicating with other organisers of the event, Astruc added.
Astruc said the 22-year-old was not the only suspected organiser and at least three or four more remained at large.

www.theguardian.com

French authorities charge man suspected of organising new year rave

Prosecutor say 22-year-old not alone in organising event that shocked a country in lockdown

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The guy that got hit, was driving way too fast; appeared from behind a car - whose driver was there to actually tell the truth - and drove into the police car that had no clue where the guy was. Someone speeding drove himself to death on a machine that was illegally upped to go faster, that is not police violence. It is not even suicide by cop.