• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly thought this was going to be about the Florida pastor that was jailed.

But this is in France and way before lockdown.

Gotta feel bad for the guy. He wasn't being defiant or brazen like you have seen in some cases in the US.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Justify this stance.
See edit- I was ignorant of the timeframe, so I retract that post, but hypothetically, if it were indeed the case that people were already told there is an outbreak/pandemic/lockdown and he'd still gathered so many people for a service, I think he's responsible for abusing his position of religious authority (and through that position, the intimate connection people have to religion) and causing an immense public health hazard.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See edit- I was ignorant of the timeframe, so I retract that post, but if it were indeed the case that people were already told there is an outbreak/pandemic/lockdown and he'd still gathered so many people for a service, I think he's responsible for abusing his position of religious authority (and through that position, the intimate connection people have to religion) and causing an immense public health hazard.
But that's not what happened and you still rushed in here to claim 17 counts of murder. Maybe don't do that?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Why are you talking about Trump and state governors? This took place in France
Not to mention that yes, it was basically ground zero for the epidemic in France and blindsided everyone, so to act like he should have magically known better than what his own government officials were saying is just... yeah.

I edited the title to add that this was in France, but I'm about to give up on this thread. People can't even read the thread title

See edit- I was ignorant of the timeframe, so I retract that post, but if it were indeed the case that people were already told there is an outbreak/pandemic/lockdown and he'd still gathered so many people for a service, I think he's responsible for abusing his position of religious authority (and through that position, the intimate connection people have to religion) and causing an immense public health hazard.

See above. There was no such lockdown/pandemic at the time. The WOH declared it a pandemic 3 weeks after this gathering. Not to mention the timeframe is in the thread title (edited in way before your post).

This dumbass should be charged at least with endangering the public.
How are we still getting posts like these after I edited the title three times?

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
This dumbass should be charged at least with endangering the public.

When this event happened there were basically zero restriction in place in France regarding Covid-19. There were still huge sports events and gatherings with hundreds/thousands of people.

Like so many countries after us, our government reacted way too late.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But that's not what happened and you still rushed in here to claim 17 counts of murder. Maybe don't do that?
Would that be better? Yes. Do I have the kind of energy in my life to always stay on the upkeep about every thread I post in within a forum I visit to avoid confronting the real problems I habitually avoid in life? No.

See above. There was no such lockdown/pandemic at the time. The WOH declared it a pandemic 3 weeks after this gathering. Not to mention the timeframe is in the thread title now.
I'll clarify that the latter half of that post is a hypothetical.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I edited the title to add that this was in France, but I'm about to give up on this thread. People can't even read the thread title
According to the Era guide, Posters are expected to enter discussions in good faith. They aren't doing that. Warnings would be in place if people can't even be bothered to read that far. or at least a nice red warning in the OP to show that people should read.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Would that be better? Yes. Do I have the kind of energy in my life to always stay on the upkeep about every thread I post in within a forum I visit to avoid confronting the real problems I habitually avoid in life? No.

It's in the article you're commenting about! Like why comment on something solely based on the thread name? Lordy people, at least *try*.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's in the article you're commenting about! Like why comment on something solely based on the thread name? Lordy people, at least *try*.
Well, the OP still frames the situation differently, in my defense; and I don't hold religious officials in high enough esteem to assume they wouldn't try to hold services even after it became clear that that would be unwise.

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, this gathering is one of the main drivers for the outbreak. On the other hand, this gathering was between 17 and 21 February. The first major European outbreak was only announced on 21 February. It was a different time. Nothing was cancelled, no government warnings for anything aside from China, football matches took place with 40.000 supporters. No one saw this coming back then. We are all judging him with the knowledge of hindsight.

This is an extremely important detail of this. This is a vastly different situation than the Florida pastor or the one in Erie That are flaunting the law now that we know what we know. This was before anything really shook down.

I actually feel terrible for him, he must be overcome with guilt. I'm sure that won't be a popular opinion here but I would have a very different stance on this if he did this a week ago rather than before we knew anything about the extent of the severity of what was happening, and before shut downs were in place.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So he should just get away with a "Sorry?"
How about you explain what should be done to him. Walk me through the process.

Criminally charge him with negligence? His defense will say, "Your honour, the defendant did nothing illegal, and followed government guidelines and declarations at the time". Then a judge will say "This is correct" and acquit him instantly.

Sue him? Who will be the plaintiff? The attendees who willingly attended? It'd be thrown out instantly. The state? The defense will just say "Macron was doing the same thing at the time, there was no lockdown in place", again, thrown out.

So you don't have enough energy to read a thread title, but you have enough to make a vapid drive-by on it? Come on.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Criminally charge him with negligence? His defense will say, "Your honour, the defendant did nothing illegal, and followed government guidelines and declarations at the time". Then a judge will say "This is correct" and acquit him instantly.

Sue him? Who will be the plaintiff? The attendees who willingly attended? It'd be thrown out instantly. The state? The defense will just say "Macron was doing the same thing at the time, there was no lockdown in place", again, thrown out.

So you don't have enough energy to read a thread title, but you have enough to make a vapid drive-by on it? Come on.
I made that post before the thread title was changed...

Edit: But I realize it's kind of self contradictory to explain why I didn't have the energy to make more than a driveby post over a series of like 5 more posts so I'll give it up here. Was it a driveby? Yes. Did it happen because I wasn't diligent/didn't care enough? Yes. I amended my original post, as a result.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017

Then maybe the system is flawed if it failed to bring justice to this. It's not just his attendees, who knows how many other people they infected because of his actions.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I think peeps need to read the threadmark and understand the timing here.There was nothing cancelled at this point. By this logic all football match officials have blood on their hands to give but one of hundreds of examples.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
On one hand, this gathering is one of the main drivers for the outbreak. On the other hand, this gathering was between 17 and 21 February. The first major European outbreak was only announced on 21 February. It was a different time. Nothing was cancelled, no government warnings for anything aside from China, football matches took place with 40.000 supporters. No one saw this coming back then. We are all judging him with the knowledge of hindsight.
Agreed. To be fair this was way before people were being discouraged from social gatherings. What has happened to this parish is bad luck and bad timing. It is easy to think they were wrong with the benefit of hindsight.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people didn't have the notion of how serious this is by 2/24, including most governments.

Throwing angry punches to compensate for the fact that you lack the smarts to understand context isn't a great idea.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Then maybe the system is flawed if it failed to bring justice to this. It's not just his attendees, who knows how many other people they infected because of his actions.
Let's ask then the different question: what should have been his driver to cancel this thing? There wasn't even a governmental hint that it was not OK to have an event like this. 2500 people is the amount of people gathering in movie theaters in a single day, a fraction of the amount of people in a soccer stadium, ... 10 days after this event, France cancelled all public events; larger than 5000 people. Even the first set of guidelines that was introduced as a reaction after this, would have allowed an event of this size...

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That particular gathering was ground zero for the French epidemic, and numbers would be very different without it, but you can't blame the guy more than you can blame the organizers of that Atalanta - Valencia soccer match that fucked both Italy and Spain.
Let's not pretend that in mid-February people were taking this as a huge threat that would lead to half the world living under lockdown six weeks later.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
That's unfortunate, but I'm reluctant to blame him for this due to the time-frame and how quickly everything went to shit in France.

He's doing online sermons now, so that's good news for his congregants.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
By the timeframe it happened there was no lockdown and the pandemic had yet to happen in France.
Following this logic, the governement is responsible for all the deaths and such.

unknown.png

Here's some datas:
By the time that event started, there were 11 cases and the first death happened 2 days after the begining of the gathering. By the time it ended, 13 cases and 1 death.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's late feb.

France authorized a fucking Smurfs gathering of 3000 people on the 9th of march.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Are people purposely overlooking the unfortunate timing just to drag religion ?

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Takes a lot of gall to continue holding services even online after he led 17+ people to their death.
God just called his children to him. or something
Expect this to happen a lot more in the states.
didnt trump say that he will have churches packed in easter?
That's late feb.

France authorized a fucking Smurfs gathering of 3000 people on the 9th of march.
yeah i remember that.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'll clarify that the latter half of that post is a hypothetical.
It's more like don't rush in to yell murder on a subject if you don't have any information on it. It's OK to not say anything on a subject. That's all I'm trying to get across to you.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Do we know when in February this happened? 2/24? There is no excuse.

Organized religion is a fucking scourge.
? Nothing was locked down in France at the time. There were 11 cases, no deaths, and they thought they had tracked all the cases. Sporting events and other large gatherings were still taking place. The logic just doesn't follow. Would you also say organized sports are a scourge as well?
He should at least not be a church pastor anymore.
Again, nothing was locked down in France at the time. Would you also propose that and that sports team owners should step down? It doesn't make sense.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017

Exactly. And no-one was forced to attend his mass.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No one saw this coming back then. We are all judging him with the knowledge of hindsight.

Not really true, but I understand what you are saying. The first case of COVID-9 in France was on 24 January, almost a month before this sermon. Was that not widely published at the time?

I'm happy not everyone waited until the government orders to actually go in self isolation and stop doing (now) dangerous activities.