• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine being so filled with hate and fear that your response to someone dressing differently from you is to throw off all your clothes in public.

Oct 27, 2017
Who the fuck is saying this is only an islam issue?

That its an issue for other religions doesnt mean it isnt an issue for islam.

Fuck, what else does the burqa say other than i am the property of men. Only my owners are allowed to see my body.

Elucidate me.
images

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Anglosphere liberals can get weird when they defend conservative religions just because they feel the need to defend all minorities, including religious minorities who happen to be ultra-conservative religions.

there is where I a disagree with my own party (Liberal Party of Canada).

those religions hold anti-liberal views and are misogynistic.

Gender Equality >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> conservative religions.

Deleted member 37235

User banned (3 days): Hostility towards another user.
Who the fuck is saying this is only an islam issue?

That its an issue for other religions doesnt mean it isnt an issue for islam.

Fuck, what else does the burqa say other than i am the property of men. Only my owners are allowed to see my body.

Elucidate me.

This was a dumb fucking response, you don't know shit about Islam you dim witted chauvinist.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
My point is that saying "it's their free choice" and thinking that choice is made entirely of their own conviction independently from their environment is incredibly naive. It's a cop out argument and I stand by that.
Agreed. It's really the "women's freedom to choose what to wear in accordance to their religion."

Garments like the burkini are still based on the oppression of women but if that woman is fine with that then we can't force them not to wear them (but I can sure as fuck continue to criticize how oppressive the garments are).

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anglosphere liberals can get weird when they defend conservative religions just because they feel the need to defend all minorities, including religious minorities who happen to be ultra-conservative religions.

While this may be true, France hasn't been doing these restrictions for gender equality. They're being clothing nazis.

Deleted member 37235

Go crawl back under the rock you slithered out from you misogynistic enabler.

How the fuck am I misogynistic, because I have the radical position that Muslim women are capable of choosing their own dress?

Fuck you and your Islamophobia you deranged troglodyte, if this forum had any semblance of consistency you'd be banned but I doubt that'll happen.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I agree that they're bad if women are forced to wear them. But if they voluntarily wear them, there's nothing I can say.
Herein lies the problem. Of course they would be okay to wear it since that is what they been taught since they were young. Hell, it took me some time to deprogram myself from my mother's religious teachings.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
What a dumb cartoon. The burqa is a product of a society that treats women like property, ignores their basic human rights, stones them to death when they dare step out of line, or refuse to be controlled.

That branwashing comes along with the rest is every religion's modus operandi.

You're right, women who step out of line getting thrown in jail rather than stoned to death is a noteworthy difference between the cultures

Deleted member 50454

Banned
Dec 5, 2018

This is nothing to do with gender equality, it's to do with cultural conservatism under the guise of gender equality.

Which isn't the same thing.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Women come out in defiance of an anti-religion law and people still claim they're being oppressed by their religion instead of the state.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Herein lies the problem. Of course they would be okay to wear it since that is what they been taught since they were young. Hell, it took me some time to deprogram myself from my mother's religious teachings.
I think it's a deeply personal choice. I don't agree with it. I don't agree with Christian denominations that don't allow women to wear pants or jeans. Some churches don't even allow women to wear make up. I think God or Allah knows your heart/your spirit, not your outward appearance... but maybe I'm wrong in that regard.

I'm not.

Either way, I'm all for people practicing their religion as long as it doesn't hurt others. Indoctrinated or not.

Deleted member 37235

The actual misogyny is thinking that because a woman has chosen to wear a religious veil it's because she was forced to by a man, that's a kind of thinking that renders the women as completely PASSIVE OBJECT incapable of making her own decisions.

Some of you would do well to speak with actual Muslim women before you go off trying to "save" them.

Women come out in defiance of an anti-religion law and people still claim they're being oppressed by their religion instead of the state.

Exactly, but don't worry I'm sure the western liberals will be here to explain how they're actually brainwashed.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
You lose the claim to progressivism when your response to what women should wear is "mandate certain clothes by law."

Maybe male-dominated societies (most of them are, certainly France is no exception) should stop legislating women's bodies.

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
More power to them and I even support them. But always had a problem with folks anointing themselves as "insert acclaimed activist here".

As someone who is confidently pro black it seems reductive. But keep fighting nonetheless.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Also France's law is actively disuading women from public pools and beaches during a fucking heatwave. And so in the end, the French get to pat themselves on the back for not having to see a woman in essentially a skinsuit with a hood taking their kids out so they can cool off for a bit.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Calling themselves the "Muslim Rosa Parks" of France, a group of defiant women plan to wear burkinis at a Grenoble pool – but hundreds of counter-protesters vow to show up in their birthday suits, according to reports.

The city requires women to wear one-piece swimming costumes in pools, while men must wear Speedo-style trunks, not shorts, for hygiene and security reasons.

But in France, which bans burkas because of its laws on secularism, many municipalities also ban burkinis. The full-body suits are designed to allow Muslim women to swim in public while adhering to strict Islamic rules about modesty.

Yikes, one of my adult kids could only bathe in a body-covering costume, for reasons that are nobody else's business. We're all atheists. Why are people acting as if it's a horrible crime to want to cover your body while swimming?

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I think not letting them wear what they want is stupid.

But claiming the burqa isnt one of many tools of oppression of women is dumb as fuck.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
The whole guidelines are dumb from top to bottom. Must wear a one piece as a woman, speedos mandatory. Just defies logic. If someone wants to wear a burkini or basketball shorts and a T-shirt, who cares.
More freedom by more restrictions. Ass backwards.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
If the intended goal of a program like this is to dismantle patriarchal social mores, I don't see how further isolating the primary victims of religious repression from public spaces is meant to encourage their social emancipation.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
In what world is a burkini sexist and a male pleasing bikini not? And why does the existence of women who do not want to be ogled by you offend some of you?

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
France views race differently than the U.S

Asking people what race they are is illegal. Certainly it's illegal to collect the kind of data we do in the U.S to figure out.

Some may say they are sticking their head in the sand. It's a cultural thing. Principle vs result based.

As someone of arab and muslim descent, I hate burkas, burkinis, even the regular head scarf + pants down to the ankle + top down to the legs because I don't buy for a millisecond that this is women want for themselves.

This whole "dress modestly" thing has clearly been way more enforced on women than men in my country of origin, which makes it sexist no matter how you cut it. If a woman wants to cover her entire body, it needs to be to escape UV rays, or whatever other non-religious, non-slut-shaming reason. When you're called a whore for wearing shorts, how could dressing modestly be anything but societal pressure?

People are very good at deluding themselves and making decisions that are against their self-interest. Women are no exception.. Look how many white women voted for trump. He assaulted or raped dozens of them. So when a burka-covered muslim woman tells me that is her personal choice, I want to ask her: would you have made that choice if you had been raised in Mexico, Japan or Estonia?

With that said, I don't see the french way working and I do not defend it. Feels like it's fueled by racism rather than genuine concern for muslim women's rights.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
While I have no doubt that the opposition towards burqas and burkinis very often is motivated by xenophobia, I do find it quite strange when self-proclaimed progressives defend these garments. They are symbols of misogyny and oppression. Why does misogyny get a pass when it's motivated by religion?

I actually agree with you. These woman who want to wear burkhas and these garments have probably only ever known to cover up in this way (born into religion), and it has been widely known that Muslim countries were not so oppressive in women's garments in the past so to me it feels like oppression has won out because heavy burkha attire has been normalised...it's an interesting debate.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
With that said, I don't see the french way working and I do not defend it. Feels like it's fueled by racism rather than genuine concern for muslim women's rights.

It's not pro women's rights. Not is it anti Muslim.

France just isn't pro religion at all. France is famously secular and anything seen as pro religion is bad.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I go outdoors in UPF 50 head to toes clothing everyday and no one gives a shit. Why should these women be force to not wear the things they want to wear?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
While I have no doubt that the opposition towards burqas and burkinis very often is motivated by xenophobia, I do find it quite strange when self-proclaimed progressives defend these garments. They are symbols of misogyny and oppression. Why does misogyny get a pass when it's motivated by religion?

This is my state of mind, seems really self defeating to go at this topic with the notion that women should be able to choose what to wear and stop at that. Yes, women should be able to choose what to wear, but if they are choosing to wear clothing that is historically and contemporarily a symbol and tool for disenfranchisement of women, they are engaging in that disenfranchisement regardless.

These instances of people protesting, of making it about contemporary situations that are ultimately pointless is really missing the point, these women should be able to visit these spaces without having to feel pressured to leave. These protesters are doing just that. I don't personally believe they actually care about the women wearing burkinas at all.

But I don't think you can actively work towards improving the lives of women and then not have a problem with women wearing such an open symbol of oppression, were it the case that they were somehow retaking that symbol and defying its meaning, but they're not... they use it in an as intended, quotidian way.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more offended by the whole 'must wear speedo's' rule - where's the moralistic outrage on behalf of the bros, huh?

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
ImI don't even think I could wear a speedo to the beach. Like, I still get random erections enough times a day. I don't know how those guys do it.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
ImI don't even think I could wear a speedo to the beach. Like, I still get random erections enough times a day. I don't know how those guys do it.

Lols. Wut?!

Anyway. Why do people care what other people wear at the fucking beach/pool. It's not difficult. Keep it polite, there are kids around. Other than that, have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.