• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Choosing not to believe the hateful parts of any religion does not rehabilitate that religion. It's not out of line to say X religion sucks because a core tenet is tied to homophobia, patriarchy, or the like. The comment stands on its own merit even if people choose to ignore the nasty bits.

Many Christians are becoming more tolerant of homosexuality. Christianity still sucks because it holds to homophobic and patriarchal values. To take it even further, the church apparatus / organization enables pedophiles and encourages cultural imperialism. So Christianity sucks. How is that even a controversial statement?

If it becomes the predominant interpretation and effectively overrides the literal reading, it might as well be a rehabilitation in all but name.

That doesn't mean you cannot criticize the religion in its original form, so to speak, when those ugly statements are still present in the texts.

Nor does it mean any other structural problems can't be brought up. I wouldn't call that controversial either, nor am I asking to erase the historical dimension.

My point is that there is value in the more liberal and reformist sides of a religion and that can be a positive influence on the lives of vulnerable groups.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
There's people who learn to be homophobic because of preacher.
Some disown their own child because of that. How many people accept gay people being kill cause religion tell them thats what they deserved.

Im sure i lot of homophobia came from religion.

You aren't wrong, I'm just saying that people find ways to "justify" their bigotry no matter what.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Islam is an ideology, not a race. Ideologies have no rights.

iu

Also, Islam (as well as other Abrahamic religions) has some serious issues with LBGT rights. It's not exactly surprising for a LBGT person to look upon said religions very negatively, especially when openly attacked by someone who identify as a believer of such religions.
^This

May 30, 2018
Finally came across the full clip, love at 1:40 where she wonders where the REAL racism is coming from, when she is being called « sale française » (dirty french woman) and « les francais c'est tous des fils de putes » (french people are all sons of bitches). Can't be racist against a religion but you can be racist against "the french"? Makes sense.

All this reverse racism really makes you think, huh!

16 and already a capable grifter, impressive tbh

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
For all those who are "both sides"ing this, simply replace the word Islam with Christianity in your head, and instantly you will see that this girl was well within her rights to speak her mind (regardless of whether you agree) and that investigating her and giving her death threats is insane.
I think her receiving death threats is the worst part of this story. Nobody should be threatened death for hate speech.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a lot of posts in this thread dont factor in a lot of the rabid unchecked Islamophobia in France currently. Its rough over these days.

She just seems like a shitty edgy teenager.

Last edited:

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Its problematic because it confuses doctrine with faith, and doesn't acknowledge people have a unique collection of ideas, sounds a bit reductive and harmful to me. Like it or not, religion is many things including identity, to yearn to remove religion is to also rob people of their communities and culture, and much more. Not helpful and impractical tbh.

I don't think it's any more unhelpful or impractical than wishing people would believe that the Earth revolved around the Sun, or would universally accept that homophobia is wrong. Cultures evolve. I'd say it was a good thing that Christians stopped believing in witches, even though it meant their culture and beliefs had to change. It's also a good thing we no longer sacrifice people to various deities. Now imagine a world in which communities still existed, people still got together to support each other, but none of them believed in the supernatural.

Moral philosophy doesn't need to hang from a framework of superstition. Superstitions are always harmful, and every culture would be better off without them.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
16 and already a capable grifter, impressive tbh

she apparently tried to get her singing career off the ground in 2018 looking at her Youtube channel.

She doesn't seem to be getting money from it, but she did make a song about this whole saga, too.

Choice lyrics:

"Les insultes et menaces par milliers ne m'atteignent pas vraiment.
Elles me font juste voir le monde d'une manière différent"

"Thousands of insults and threats don't really get to me,
they just make me see the world differently"

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I sympathize with the 16 year old victim of homophobia and death threats who now needs police protection, apparently.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Islam is an ideology, not a race. Ideologies have no rights.

iu

Also, Islam (as well as other Abrahamic religions) has some serious issues with LBGT rights. It's not exactly surprising for a LBGT person to look upon said religions very negatively, especially when openly attacked by someone who identify as a believer of such religions.
ok but lets not pretend that it's not brown Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, that are getting beat down in the street because they are brown. You think they are being asked what specific faith they follow first?

Oct 27, 2017
If you're offended consider the fact that a lot of atheist rationaltube from a decade ago went alt-right, and maybe if Western atheism takes itself too seriously, it loses the ability to be deprecating and self-critique we risk emboldening shitty white victimhood narratives that feed into aspects of fascist ideology.
Fuck off. This is idiotic. Atheism isn't a movement and it's not restricted to white people.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Fuck off. This is idiotic. Atheism isn't a movement and it's not restricted to white people.

They are talking about very specific people who went off the rails, anyone who was following the New Atheists movement in the early 2010's saw a lot of these people just shift into the alt-right, this isn't up for debate.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. But you'd be a fool not to recognize the Orientalism in how Dawkins or Harris (to name the more notable examples) discuss Islam in particular.
Who cares about Dawkins? He has as much association, and in common, with me or any other atheist as other people who haven't seen a particular movie. It's not like he said something in a holy book that's the basis of "atheism".
Oh, you just don't know what we are talking about, that's ok!

You should read up on this phenomenon before telling people to fuck off!
Nah. Random youtubers have nothing to do with atheists at large. See above. Atheism isn't just another religion. It's a lack of religion. There's no organization.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like this makes me glad most religious people I know are Buddhist. I've seen way too much hate or negativity or controlling behaviour from Christians and Muslims that amount to "I can be mean because this book".

she is right too, it's quite stereotypical to assume someone is from a specific region or race based on their faith. It's just as bad to assume Christian means "western and white". I don't know if people are pretending to be ignorant or genuinely are, but it's obvious religion doesn't equal race, especially for those two

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Speaking as a Muslim the 'Muslim commenters' comment just goes completely against Islamic teachings. Noone that truly follows the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) would ever say such vile things. I hope the girls ok and finds peace.

(Speak kindly) Quran 2:83

(Speak graciously) Quran 17:23

(Speak politely) Quran 17:53

(Speak gently) Quran 20:44

A couple of quotes of the Noble Prophet:

'Speak a good word or remain silent'

'Nothing will be heavier on the Day of Resurrection in the scale of the believer than good manners. Allah hates one who utters foul or coarse language.'

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't seem interested at all in learning more about the atheist movement online, so I will stop this discussion right now and wish you a great day!
To be fair it's kind of a weird point to use in this thread and seems like a guilt-by-association attempt. Instead of speculating on the impact of old online New Atheist posters who are now evil alt-righters (which to me seems as relevant as trying to estimate the number of online Islam defenders who joined ISIS or became radicalized), we can just lay out and respond to the arguments in this thread.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
To be fair it's kind of a weird point to use in this thread and seems like a guilt-by-association attempt. Instead of speculating on the impact of old online New Atheist posters who are now evil alt-righters (which to me seems as relevant as trying to estimate the number of online Islam defenders who joined ISIS or became radicalized), we can just lay out and respond to the arguments in this thread.

Thank you.

Oct 27, 2017
You don't seem interested at all in learning more about the atheist movement online, so I will stop this discussion right now and wish you a great day!
Generalizing atheists because of a few people online, makes even less sense than generalizing an entire religious population from a few people online (as in Islam). No one should entertain an argument like that.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, honestly it was a self-deprecating tongue-in-cheek comment made partially in jest as a reference to how atheism has appealed to so-called rationalists like the many that have popped up in this thread who are: 1. more concerned with the semantics of being technically right that you can't be racist against a religion, and 2. convinced that religion is the root of all ills.

I've made my case against the former argument in this thread, saying that the former has no grounding in a reality where people who look Muslim because of their race are discriminated against, and for the latter I stated that outwardly atheist regimes have committed atrocities in the name of atheism.

And the reason I bothered to mention the alt-right atheist movement at all is because I'm seeing echoes of their self-righteous unthinking bullshit baked in "rationality" in this thread and I am having none of it, especially from someone with a persecution complex who gets their jimmies rustled because I called myself and other atheists "fellow fedoralords".

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, honestly it was a self-deprecating tongue-in-cheek comment made partially in jest as a reference to how atheism has appealed to so-called rationalists like the many that have popped up in this thread who are: 1. more concerned with the semantics of being technically right that you can't be racist against a religion, and 2. convinced that religion is the root of all ills.

I've made my case against the former argument in this thread, saying that the former has no grounding in a reality where people who look Muslim because of their race are discriminated against, and for the latter I stated that outwardly atheist regimes have committed atrocities in the name of atheism.

And the reason I bothered to mention the alt-right atheist movement at all is because I'm seeing echoes of their self-righteous unthinking bullshit baked in "rationality" in this thread and I am having none of it, especially from someone with a persecution complex who gets their jimmies rustled because I called myself and other atheists "fellow fedoralords".
Fair enough (although I didn't see your posts earlier, just Kurdel's). I generally try, and sometimes fail, to ignore my perceptions of the motivations of an argument, and just try to evaluate the argument itself.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Dismissing Racism and Islamophobia. Prior Severe Ban for Excusing Sexual Misconduct.
This thread abysmal.

It's actually embarrassing to post here.

I'm trying to avoid these type of threads, focus on what this website it good at, but there's so many, I slipped. So I'll post this then get out of the thread permanently. So don't bother @ing me as the kids say.

To side against a teenage girl who got subjected to death threats because she insulted a religion is a disgusting position for any right minded person to take, and you are taking that position regardless of whatever defence of imaginary "racism" against a religion a nearly 2 billion people and controls a massive amount of the world you think you are undertaking.

"Defending" the "minority" you are defending against another "minority"is the logical conclusion in your mind's obsession with purity tests.

Meanwhile if we step away from that nonsense and into the world of common sense, the right to criticise or insult religions, regardless of if they are being used to insult the critic as in this case with this girl, without fear of death threats is pretty fucking basic, and the quality of the criticism does not determine whether threats are valid or not.

They never are.
Debating a 15/16 year old girls reaction to being attacked is inherently saying that a low quality criticism is a valid recipient.

The only racism on display is in fact by those who pan Muslims with the low expectation of handwaving angry responses to the girl as to be expected and understandable. There's plenty resonable people this thread, and elsewhere, Muslims and ex-Muslims alike to prove that is not the necessary response.

Lastly if the response to someone insulting a religion and saying it is hateful, is raw hate, then that person has clearly got a point.

Religions are mechanisms of control and power it's as true for Islam as any other. It's one of the most successful that's ever existed. It doesn't need your defence no more than the pope does.
They have plenty built in already.

Oct 27, 2017

Lol a persecution complex. If you think "I'm a minority too" is some sort of shield against shitting on minorities then I don't know what to say. Get the fuck out of here with trying to attach minority status to the religious. It's the same tired argument about how the existence of atheists is offensive. The people who are mad at a little blasphemy are fascist if they don't realize how wrong that is. Trying to associate atheism with the alt right is unbelievably stupid.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Religions are mechanisms of control and power it's as true for Islam as any other. It's one of the most successful that's ever existed. It doesn't need your defence no more than the pope does.

In a void and without the last 10 years I would agree with you.

But great replacement conspiracy theories, laws that target muslims in Québec and France, hate crimes going up against in the West, I can't agree with this take. It's callous, petty, and is an absolute lack of empathy towards a group on the front lines of white supremacy every day.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

The Iraq Body Count project (IBC project), incorporating subsequent reports, has reported that by the end of the major combat phase up to April 30, 2003, 7,419 civilians had been killed, primarily by U.S. air-and-ground forces.

It shows a total range of at least 183,535 – 206,107 documented civilian deaths from violence in Iraq through April 2019. The continually updated IBC database page those numbers come from says: "Gaps in recording and reporting suggest that even our highest totals to date may be missing many civilian deaths from violence."

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's any more unhelpful or impractical than wishing people would believe that the Earth revolved around the Sun, or would universally accept that homophobia is wrong. Cultures evolve. I'd say it was a good thing that Christians stopped believing in witches, even though it meant their culture and beliefs had to change. It's also a good thing we no longer sacrifice people to various deities. Now imagine a world in which communities still existed, people still got together to support each other, but none of them believed in the supernatural.

Moral philosophy doesn't need to hang from a framework of superstition. Superstitions are always harmful, and every culture would be better off without them.
Well, when morality in religion is principally defined by superstition such as love, i have no immediate concerns about it. Also i think your getting hung up on do's, donts, dogma and orthodoxy thats not how many implement religion; instead use religion as a holistic framework that is deeply introspective to cope with day to day struggles and mental health. People/communities like this do exist, people do get on and support each other and live peacefully side by side with one-another. Advocating for these personal choices to be abolished because you dont value it does come across as counter productive to the conversation.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To side against a teenage girl who got subjected to death threats because she insulted a religion is a disgusting position for any right minded person to take, and you are taking that position regardless of whatever defence of imaginary "racism" against a religion a nearly 2 billion people and controls a massive amount of the world you think you are undertaking.

This is disgusting.

Noway's Anders Breivik massacre, New Zealand Mosques massacre, Quebec Mosque massacre, Finsbury Park Mosque terror attack IN PLACES OF WORSHIP, a form of racism that EXCLUSIVELY targets muslims for being followers of Islam (perceived as an existential threat). I've already mentioned multiple genocides on the basis of religion.

Islamaphobia is real, its an acute hatred of Muslims and their visible displays of Islam, to deny it is utterly reprehensible.

Last edited:

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Well, when morality in religion is principally defined by superstition such as love, i have no immediate concerns about it. Also i think your getting hung up on do's, donts, dogma and orthodoxy thats not how many implement religion; instead use religion as a holistic framework that is deeply introspective to cope with day to day struggles and mental health. People/communities like this do exist, people do get on and support each other and live peacefully side by side with one-another. Advocating for these personal choices to be abolished because you dont value it does come across as counter productive to the conversation.

Whoa whoa whoa, I never said abolished! No one abolished the idea of believing witches were amongst us and needed to be destroyed, as far as I know. It was a superstition that faded away. I would love for religious superstition to fade away in a similar manner.

Throwing salt over your shoulder doesn't harm anyone, it creates a sense of community when exhibited as a point of cultural harmony between strangers, and it helps people cope with their fear of bad luck (or whatever it's supposed to ward off). But I think humanity is better off concluding that it's foolish at best, and exemplifies dangerously illogical patterns of thinking at its worst.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Hostility & trolling over multiple posts
Lol a persecution complex. If you think "I'm a minority too" is some sort of shield against shitting on minorities then I don't know what to say. Get the fuck out of here with trying to attach minority status to the religious. It's the same tired argument about how the existence of atheists is offensive. The people who are mad at a little blasphemy are fascist if they don't realize how wrong that is. Trying to associate atheism with the alt right is unbelievably stupid.

Do you just have zero self-awareness or what? You are literally whining about how it's so "tired" that people argue about how the "existence of atheists is offensive", as if atheists should some sort of protected minority group. Well you know what, the next time I get held up at an airport, followed by the police, or am mowed down by gunfire due to somebody overhearing me listening to NPR because I am/look/sound atheist, I'll retroactively offer you an apology, how about that? As an atheist, this whole "upset about being called a fedoralord" thing? It's a persecution complex.

You're dying to criticize all Muslims for Islam and the religion's mistreatment of women and LGBTQIA folks, but the moment I come here and make sure some of you get a clue about the bullshit you're all huffing and sharing is the same fucking bullshit that the irreligious alt-right has and is continuing to use to justify anti-Muslim (in essence, anti-African, Arab, and South Asian) sentiment, you're actually offended because #notallatheists. You can't have your cake and eat it too: why is it okay for you to tar ALL Muslims with the same brush when the assholes harassed the girl, but not okay for me to challenge SOME atheists for peddling fascist rhetoric?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
so a 16-year-old girl comes out as a lesbian. gets harassed and insulted for it. in return she calls islam a religion of hate? what did you expect an angry 16-year-old to say? some well written response? naw. they're gonna insult you back and generally with something mean spirited. it's weird how the focus is more on that she might be racist rather than she getting death threats and needing police protection because at the core of it she came out as gay. you'd think the big issue here would be why a 16-year-old needs police protection.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Surprised at some of the responses here.
so a 16-year-old girl comes out as a lesbian. gets harassed and insulted for it. in return she calls islam a religion of hate? what did you expect an angry 16-year-old to say? some well written response? naw. they're gonna insult you back and generally with something mean spirited. it's weird how the focus is more on that she might be racist rather than she getting death threats and needing police protection because at the core of it she came out as gay. you'd think the big issue here would be why a 16-year-old needs police protection.
It would probably help the discussion if people stopped defending islamophobia.

Aug 14, 2018
This thread abysmal.

I'm trying to avoid these type of threads, focus on what this website it good at, but there's so many, I slipped. So I'll post this then get out of the thread permanently. So don't bother @ing me as the kids say.

"Defending" the "minority" you are defending against another "minority"is the logical conclusion in your mind's obsession with purity tests.

Meanwhile if we step away from that nonsense and into the world of common sense, the right to criticise or insult religions, regardless of if they are being used to insult the critic as in this case with this girl, without fear of death threats is pretty fucking basic, and the quality of the criticism does not determine whether threats are valid or not.

They never are.
Debating a 15/16 year old girls reaction to being attacked is inherently saying that a low quality criticism is a valid recipient.

The only racism on display is in fact by those who pan Muslims with the low expectation of handwaving angry responses to the girl as to be expected and understandable. There's plenty resonable people this thread, and elsewhere, Muslims and ex-Muslims alike to prove that is not the necessary response.

Lastly if the response to someone insulting a religion and saying it is hateful, is raw hate, then that person has clearly got a point.

Thank you for this post. It's astonishing to see how people bend over backwards to defend a religion, and in the process are fine with dragging a child through the mud.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This thread abysmal.

They never are.

source.gif

I've been reading over this thread the last 2 days and the fact that people are still arguing over this is insane. I've refused to post here because it's been a shit show from the beginning.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
It happens, some French people can sometimes be extremely touchy and have a tendence to react with violence or threats, mostly towards women. I've seen this happen on the street, at school, at the supermarket... It's not a matter of religion as most of these people are not really practicing. There's an integration problem that has been ignored for too long, and has nothing to do with "race" and everything to do with culture. That a teenager has to be under police protection for calling out hate speech is not helping anybody's cause.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
This thread abysmal.

They never are.

The problem in your thinking is to claim there's a side to take.
No, I don't want to side with pos sending death threats.
I don't want to side either with hypocritical people.

"imaginary "racism" against a religion a nearly 2 billion people and controls a massive amount of the world you think you are undertaking."

Also calling out your bullshit here. You just need to see WHO's pushing for those hashtags. :)
You just need to see WHAT they're saying. :)

Just give them 5 minutes and it shifts from "criticism of religion to "great replacement" "brown people bringing shariah to France".

But HEY it's all imaginary. Cut it out with that bullshit. Of course criticism of religion isn't racism. But you either have to be dense af or a fucking troll to say that no one is hidding their agenda behind that. Muslims is the word to replace with browns/arabs for some people. And that's obvious af.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Imaginary racism? Hoo boy, I've seen everything now.

Thanks for the enlightenment. Turns out all this racism wasn't real, it was just in our heads :')

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I feel like a lot of posts in this thread dont factor in a lot of the rabid unchecked Islamophobia in France currently. Its rough over these days.

She just seems like a shitty edgy teenager.
Yeah, among many people in France, Muslims, Arabs, and brown people are one and the same. If you talk generalizing about Islam in the political context of France, it is basically this. What people say is not devoid of context.
Stuff like this makes me glad most religious people I know are Buddhist. I've seen way too much hate or negativity or controlling behaviour from Christians and Muslims that amount to "I can be mean because this book".

she is right too, it's quite stereotypical to assume someone is from a specific region or race based on their faith. It's just as bad to assume Christian means "western and white". I don't know if people are pretending to be ignorant or genuinely are, but it's obvious religion doesn't equal race, especially for those two
Tell that to the Muslims in Myanmar. Every religion has its own shit. And, people who say these things in France 100000% equate Islam with Arab with anyone brown.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to think that we should treat religion in the same way we do political ideologies and so on in terms of freedom of speech