• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Or just call out the person?
If someone says "I'm muslim and being gay is wrong," your response shouldn't be "muslims are intolerant," it should be "you are homophobic, and shame on you for using your religion to justify your personal beliefs."
Their religion taught them those beliefs.
The parts of Islam that restrict the rights of women and actively harm members of the LGBTQ community suck shit and should be challenged.

Wow I did it without being racist.
Excellent! Unfortunately, under that twisted definition of racism, that is an attack on part of their culture and is thus racist :(

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People saying that you can't be racist against Islam would be right...if people weren't routinely profiled for looking like they believe in Islam because of racial characteristics.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Islam is an ideology, not a race. Ideologies have no rights.

iu

Also, Islam (as well as other Abrahamic religions) has some serious issues with LBGT rights. It's not exactly surprising for a LBGT person to look upon said religions very negatively, especially when openly attacked by someone who identify as a believer of such religions.

"Race" is also a made up concept, yet people suffer from it's consequences every day.

It's also very short sighted to not see how religiuos groups are an expression of human culture, and forms groups and lineages that last generations, and definitely has an ethnic aspect to it.

You want another word for systematic bigotry aimed at a specific group I am more than open to use another word, but Islamophobia is definitely rooted in a feeling of supremacy.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
People saying that you can't be racist against Islam would be right...if people weren't routinely profiled for looking like they believe in Islam because of racial characteristics.
But she was clearly answering to a muslim who was attacking her for who she is, so this is completely irrelevant in this case.

You want another word for systematic bigotry aimed at a specific group I am more than open to use another word, but Islamophobia is definitely rooted in a feeling of supremacy.
Again, see above. She was reacting to someone attacking her. It's not like it popped out of nowhere.

Also, from the article:

Appearing on the Quotidien programme on the TMC channel, Mila apologised for insulting people who practise their religion "in peace" and said she regretted the "vulgarity" of her words and their spread online.
I don't feel like that's someone who just want to shit on Muslims at random.
(Also OP should really have quoted this IMO)

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
If someone says "I'm muslim and being gay is wrong," your response shouldn't be "muslims are intolerant," it should be "you are homophobic, and shame on you for using your religion to justify your personal beliefs."

All recent global research shows that the vast majority of practicing Muslims do indeed believe that homosexuality is wrong. Where are they all getting that particular prejudice from?

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Reminds me of people who were accused of antisemitism when they're critisizing Zionism or supporting BDS.

they were hateful towards her. religion isn't and shouldn't be a protected class.

But this....I support people's right to blaspheme whatever they want, but are you saying that it is and should be legal to discriminate people based on their religious affiliation?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
they were hateful towards her. religion isn't and shouldn't be a protected class.
I think it's tricky, as hating a religion is often used as a shield to attack other groups of people who are strongly identified with specific religions, or the religion is their cultural identifier. Religious intolerance has led to genocides/ethnic cleansing campaigns. I think there's a difference between criticizing, or hating, a religious teaching, philosophy, or book, and hating people that identify as part of that religion. Legislating that without giving loopholes to various hate groups is difficult.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
There's no need to attack the religion. Just put the homophobic piece of shit in his place and call it a day.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Again, see above. She was reacting to someone attacking her. It's not like it popped out of nowhere.

Of course it doesn't, teenagers are the product of their culture and surroundings.

I don't care about her damage control quote when this is what she said :" "I am not racist. You cannot be racist towards a religion. I said what I thought, you're not going to make me regret it."

When people tell you who they are, believe them.

I look forward to the advent of a non-Patriarchal Islam. Please keep us updated on how it's going.

I mean, you are the one with magical thinking that believes you can insult a religion into modernising itself, you tell me how that is going for you?

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But she was clearly answering to a muslim who was attacking her for who she is, so this is completely irrelevant in this case.

It's relevant because: 1. she said it and she's wrong, and more importantly, 2. other people in this thread are saying it and they're wrong. I understand the person she's replying to is a shitheel, but ignorance should not go unchallenged.

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of people who were accused of antisemitism when they're critisizing Zionism or supporting BDS.

But this....I support people's right to blaspheme whatever they want, but are you saying that it is and should be legal to discriminate people based on their religious affiliation?

But that's why people call out the policies of Israel, and not the Jewish religion. The latter is antisemitism, and is what's wrong with her statement. She even admitted it was vulgar and apologized.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All recent global research shows that the vast majority of practicing Muslims do indeed believe that homosexuality is wrong. Where are they all getting that particular prejudice from?

Research shows that a majority of places outside of Europe and parts of North America are also homophobic. Homosexuality is illegal in most of Africa and across southeast Asia. Latin America has some of the highest rates of anti-LGBT violence, and even places where it's legal (like China) it's discouraged or banned to portray it.

I think at some point you should be trying to figure out where people who are accepting of homosexuality got the idea from, because we're clearly the exception to the rule.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it doesn't, teenagers are the product of their culture and surroundings.

Not sure what you're trying to say here exactly, sorry.

I don't care about her damage control quote when this is what she said :" "I am not racist. You cannot be racist towards a religion. I said what I thought, you're not going to make me regret it."

When people tell you who they are, believe them.

Keep in mind that the BBC article is missing some stuff. From a French article:

Pour autant, elle présente tout de même des excuses aux « personnes qu'elle a pu blesser, qui pratiquent leur religion en paix. Je n'ai jamais voulu viser des êtres humains. J'ai voulu blasphémer, parler d'une religion, dire ce que j'en pensais ».

DeepL translation:
Nevertheless, she still apologizes to "people she may have hurt, who practice their religion in peace. I never meant to target human beings. I wanted to blaspheme, to talk about a religion, to say what I thought of it".

She seems pretty consistent in saying that she's criticizing the religion itself, not the people who believe in it.

It's relevant because: 1. she said it and she's wrong, and more importantly, 2. other people in this thread are saying it and they're wrong. I understand the person she's replying to is a shitheel, but ignorance should not go unchallenged.
You're conflating the form of discrimination that is the combination of racism and islamophobia with criticism of Islam as an ideology. Just because some people are simultaneously racist and islamophobe and discriminate people based on that doesn't mean that criticism of Islam is inherently racist.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Research shows that a majority of places outside of Europe and parts of North America are also homophobic. Homosexuality is illegal in most of Africa and across southeast Asia. Latin America has some of the highest rates of anti-LGBT violence, and even places where it's legal (like China) it's discouraged or banned to portray it.

I think at some point you should be trying to figure out where people who are accepting of homosexuality got the idea from, because we're clearly the exception to the rule.

And even the exceptions to the rule aren't particularly full of people who are decent on the issue.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised most of you are defending her. Yes, whoever told her she was a dirty lesbian was absolutely wrong. Direct your criticism at that person. Calling out an entire religion is absolutely stupid.
There's no need to attack the religion. Just put the homophobic piece of shit in his place and call it a day.
Agreed

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

For me it was a combination of empathy and giving up my religion. My religion is the only thing that kept me anti-LGBTQ. I just think it's important to note that this isn't a unique feature of religion, but it is a part of many religions on a fundamental level. If your religion revolves around the teachings of someone(s) who was homophobic, sexist, racist, etc., then those characteristics are going to stick around in the religion for a very long time. The same can go for other groups that are not necessarily considered a religion, but have the same personality cult structure (like the Chinese Communist Party).

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
She seems pretty consistent in saying that she's criticizing the religion itself, not the people who believe in it.

I already told me I don't buy her damage control, especially with the hate speech laws in France how dumb must she be to say ANYTHING else?

I just watched the video, this girl is unquestionably a racist piece of shit. If this video was english this thread would have a 100% different vibe.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, some people attack religions as a proxy for racist beliefs but many others firmly believe all religions are bullshit (me being one of them). If you practice your religion in your private life and are otherwise a level headed rational individual (i.e., have the ability to compartmentalize), I have no problem with that person. However, if people use their religious beliefs as a cudgel to oppress others like they have for the vast majority of human history (especially those already disadvantaged), fuck them to the moon and back. So much progress has been delayed by religious adherents in general that it will be a good day when most people around the world consider themselves secular/agnostic/atheist.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course.

There are lots of idiots online. For her to jump from an idiot insulting her to her insulting a religion followed by over a billion people with billion different expressions of said religion is even more idiotic than the idiot who insulted her.
As someone who has faced Islamophobia, including violent Islamophobic abuse her entire life, I have to strongly disagree with your conclusion here. Her statement is not more idiotic than the unprovoked, hateful, oppressive and homophobic rhetoric that was levied at her. A type of hatred that is stoked by religion, and has been for millennia. If she had made a generalisation about Muslims, I could see your point. I can understand the misgivings about her statement, as such statements about Islam can stoke Islamophobia against Muslims themselves. Believe me, I've lived that. But there's also the fact that religion has historically been used as a tool to oppress. To oppress people like her, specifically. And Islam has had its hand in that. So there's far more gray area in that statement, and a victim of religious persecution lashing out at said religion with that statement, than what was said to her.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised most of you are defending her. Yes, whoever told her she was a dirty lesbian was absolutely wrong. Direct your criticism at that person. Calling out an entire religion is absolutely stupid.
Why is it ok to call out entire ideologies but not ok if those ideologies claim to be divinely inspired?

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're conflating the form of discrimination that is the combination of racism and islamophobia with criticism of Islam as an ideology. Just because some people are simultaneously racist and islamophobe and discriminate people based on that doesn't mean that criticism of Islam is inherently racist.

Who are you even talking to? I've conflated nothing; scroll back, I've made no statement about whether she is racist at all, merely that her statement is ignorant because it is demonstrably false. You're the one confusing a rebuttal of the argument "you can't be racist towards a religion" with "criticism of Islam is inherently racist." I mean if you're going to be such a pedant after semantics, at least go after things I've actually said.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
And you're the one who appears to be to magicking away the influence of the Abrahamic religions on cultures labouring under the weight of Patriarchal prejudice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As an adult I made peace with my anti-theistic tendencies of my early 20's when I realised that nothing will change in my lifetime, and people were using religion bashing as a thinly veiled excuse to say racist shit.

Muslims are persecuted and victims of abuse all around the world, even in the West where we claim to be so inclusive and diverse. People who make a living off shitting on people already coping with a fundamentally racist culture are the scum of the earth, and I have 0 respect for them.

At the end of the day, I sympathize with the kid who was called a dirty lesbian and is now enduring death threats and that's that.

This story actually reminds me of that smug Covington kid.

If you just ignore a bunch of stuff, the narrative is as maleable as you want it to be.

Definitely a scary evolution of the culture war.

Last edited:

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
This story actually reminds me of that smug Covington kid.

If you just ignore a bunch of stuff, the narrative is as maleable as you want it to be.

Definitely a scary evolution of the culture war.

That is actually a ridiculous and outrageous comparison. It's a gay teenaged girl acting alone in response to a slur. Not a peaceful protest. You are the one who is ignoring a bunch of stuff.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
talk trash about my religion, okie that's cool, it's not for everybody. it's 2020, not 1690, stop getting mad at people outside the faith when they express displeasure. listen, teach, embrace.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
That is actually a ridiculous and outrageous comparison. It's a gay teenaged girl acting alone in response to a slur. Not a peaceful protest. You are the one who is ignoring a bunch of stuff.

No, it's an apt comparison.

The whiteness, the youthfulness, the obfuscation of the bigger issues at play, how it's openly recuperated and applauded by the alt-right, I see a lot of common elements here.

Like, I absolutely don't buy framing this as only self defense of a slighted gay person and that's the end of the story. And I say that as a fellow gay who actually watched her video and speaks french.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it ok to call out entire ideologies but not ok if those ideologies claim to be divinely inspired?
It's a trip, honestly. This forum gleefully (and most times, rightfully) calls out entire ideologies and entire institutions, but when it's a particular religious ideology, sudden you can't paint with a broad bush anymore.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
Islam is an ideology, not a race. Ideologies have no rights.

iu

Also, Islam (as well as other Abrahamic religions) has some serious issues with LBGT rights. It's not exactly surprising for a LBGT person to look upon said religions very negatively, especially when openly attacked by someone who identify as a believer of such religions.
Please. This isn't neogaf man

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed

But Islam (and other abrahamic religions) has a significant problem when it comes to LBGT rights. The way she went about it might've been rude sure, but there's nothing wrong with attacking a problematic ideology. If said ideology fuels hatred and discrimination toward a group of people for being who they are, then criticizing it is fair game.

It's kinda weird how progressive are being willfully blind when it comes to Islam's fundamental problems on certain issues, such as LBGT and women's rights. People just assume that any Muslim who partake in such discriminations is an isolated case and not a sign of a possibly more widespread and more deeply rooted issue.

Who are you even talking to? I've conflated nothing; scroll back, I've made no statement about whether she is racist at all, merely that her statement is ignorant because it is demonstrably false. You're the one confusing a rebuttal of the argument "you can't be racist towards a religion" with "criticism of Islam is inherently racist." I mean if you're going to be such a pedant after semantics, at least go after things I've actually said.
What I'm arguing is that I think that "you can be a racist against a religion" isn't true, because the example you mentionned in your initial post ("if people weren't routinely profiled for looking like they believe in Islam because of racial characteristics. ") is a specific form of discrimination that mixes both islamphobia and racism. It's two separate things happening at once. Which is why I think she's correct when she says that you can't be racist against a religion. You can be an islamophobe, you can be a racist, you can absolutely be both at the same time, but you can't be racist against a religion. Someone who's profiling another person because "they might believe in Islam because of their racial features" isn't being racist against a religion, they're being racist and islamophobic.

This is why I agree with her and why I'm arguing that criticism of Islam is fair game and indeed not racist, which is what you initially took offence with ("People saying that you can't be racist against Islam would be right if").

"Insulting the culture of brown people isnt racism because culture isnt people" is an interesting opinion to have in 2020.
Are we just gonna ignore that religion isn't just culture but far more importantly an ideology?

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Are we just gonna ignore that religion isn't just culture but far more importantly an ideology?
Are you seriously going to pretend that it's not both?

I mean I can hardly even begin to imagine the pearl clutching that would happen around here if someone said the same thing about Christianity and the fact that it's somehow not a concern when referring to Islam is *incredibly* transparent.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Oh, looks like she wrote and sang a song about this!

Can FrancEra confirm if this is a normal thing? Here in North American culture it would be seen as opportunistic and fall in line with the right wing grifters who capitalize on hate.

Is it seen otherwise in France? Like a normal and usual way people who are being cancelled expresses themselves?

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Psst: the US didn't invent those things and the right everywhere are using the same tactics.

To assume otherwise is painfully naive.

Oh no, think of the poor white people who just want to criticize Islam in good faith :(

"I want to blaspheme against these people specifically, please ignore any social context that can paint this in any other light than a pure freeze peach issue please"
You are making the assumption that she is using Islam as a cover for black/ brown people. Given that she has made clear her problem is religions and their hatred for her way of life/ identity in general, and Islam in this particular case, that might be a step too far given that you only have your own bias to make this assumption.

And I concur with her.
Religions are shit when intruding on people's way of life/ identity, particularly when considering & judging others who do not share that same faith.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
"Insulting the culture of brown people isnt racism because culture isnt people" is an interesting opinion to have in 2020.

You probably shouldn't conflate Islam with brown culture. That conflation is how Hindus and Sikhs get routinely targeted in anti-muslim attacks. I get what you mean though. Like I'm not going to chastise anyone saying anything about any religion itself. But people who pretend that Islam isn't seen as as as you said "the culture of brown people" are being obtuse on purpose.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
Are you seriously going to pretend that it's not both?
...No? I said "religion isn't just culture", not "it's not culture". However, the ideology part is arguably more important because it affects people far more directly.

I mean I can hardly even begin to imagine the pearl clutching that would happen around here if someone said the same thing about Christianity and the fact that it's somehow not a concern when referring to Islam is *incredibly* transparent.
Not sure what you're trying to say here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've said that other Abrahamic religions also have problems, and I've argued that criticism of religion as an ideology is fair game. I'm not treating Islam any differently from other religions.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
You probably shouldn't conflate Islam with brown culture. That conflation is how Hindus and Sikhs get routinely targeted in anti-muslim attacks. I get what you mean though. Like I'm not going to chastise anyone saying anything about any religion itself. But people who pretend that Islam isn't seen as as as you said "the culture of brown people" are being obtuse on purpose.
You wanna tell me what in the hell "brown culture" is?

Because I definitely didnt use that term.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
As someone who has faced Islamophobia, including violent Islamophobic abuse her entire life, I have to strongly disagree with your conclusion here. Her statement is not more idiotic than the unprovoked, hateful, oppressive and homophobic rhetoric that was levied at her. A type of hatred that is stoked by religion, and has been for millennia. If she had made a generalisation about Muslims, I could see your point. I can understand the misgivings about her statement, as such statements about Islam can stoke Islamophobia against Muslims themselves. Believe me, I've lived that. But there's also the fact that religion has historically been used as a tool to oppress. To oppress people like her, specifically. And Islam has had its hand in that. So there's far more gray area in that statement, and a victim of religious persecution lashing out at said religion with that statement, than what was said to her.
☝ ☝ ☝

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
There was no reason to attack an entire religion. Go after the piece of shit individual who was spewing that hateful garbage.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
You wanna tell me what in the hell "brown culture" is?

Because I definitely didnt use that term.

"insulting the culture of Brown people"

Are those not your words?

Am I misunderstanding what you wrote because it's reads like you're saying Islam is part of the culture of brown people?