• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
I loved this game, played through it a ton as a kid. Seeing your base develop throughout the game was really rad. I might have to pick this up again.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Solid third-person shooter where you can order your fellow fighters around. It was unique because some of your actions can impact latter missions, like taking out a chopper early on so it won't appear on a later level.
Oh that sounds cool. Is this release a remaster? Can you use a controller with it?
Sounds like TPS and a little bit of RTS.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Confused this with Freedom Force for a second. But this does sound cool, I remember hearing about it on a podcast a couple years ago and wishing I could play it.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh that sounds cool. Is this release a remaster? Can you use a controller with it?
Sounds like TPS and a little bit of RTS.
Not sure about the remaster and controller thing but it's not an RTS, you direct your fellow fighters directly. Kinda like Brothers in Arms.

If you're young I think I might have confused you further.

Dec 23, 2017
Never heard of this game but this seems like something I would enjoy playing.

I see third person shooting, NPC allies, and the kind of jankyness I love.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Not sure about the remaster and controller thing but it's not an RTS, you direct your fellow fighters directly. Kinda like Brothers in Arms.

If you're young I think I might have confused you further.
Well I am 30, but this was never on my radar, so I never played it. But I am always looking forward to learn about more games.

Alright I see, that sounds pretty fun. I will probably have a look. € 10 on GoG sounds very cheap too.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What is so special about that game?
Sorry never heard before of that game.
Here's a thread that I made about the game not even a month ago!

www.resetera.com

After Hitman 3, IO Interactive needs to bring back Freedom Fighters

Freedom Fighters for the original Xbox was a gem. It's set in a universe where the soviets are the first to build the atomic bomb, and use it on the nazis to end World War 2. The following decades see the USSR becomes stronger and more influencial, culminating in their invasion of the US in the...

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Here's a thread that I made about the game not even a month ago!

www.resetera.com

After Hitman 3, IO Interactive needs to bring back Freedom Fighters

Freedom Fighters for the original Xbox was a gem. It's set in a universe where the soviets are the first to build the atomic bomb, and use it on the nazis to end World War 2. The following decades see the USSR becomes stronger and more influencial, culminating in their invasion of the US in the...
Huh thanks slipped under my radar :)

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Will get it on Steam. I remember playing this as a kid but I've forgotten almost everything about it.
What makes it good?
There are a few things that make me love the game. The main one is the evolution of your squad and the city as the game progresses. I just love how it transitions between the different seasons and your character's appearance changes over time. Each mission is made up of smaller objectives that you have to complete in order to progress. For example, you may need to take a building to get supplies, but there is an attack chopper guarding the building, so you have to sneak to another part of the city to disable the attack chopper while it's grounded and then you can progress. It also has some really fun, huge battles. When you get 12 squad members together and they are just wrecking havoc, it's so much fun.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
There are a few things that make me love the game. The main one is the evolution of your squad and the city as the game progresses. I just love how it transitions between the different seasons and your character's appearance changes over time. Each mission is made up of smaller objectives that you have to complete in order to progress. For example, you may need to take a building to get supplies, but there is an attack chopper guarding the building, so you have to sneak to another part of the city to disable the attack chopper while it's grounded and then you can progress. It also has some really fun, huge battles. When you get 12 squad members together and they are just wrecking havoc, it's so much fun.
Awesome! Excited to play this again.

Nov 1, 2017
Shame that it's not a remaster but I'll take whatever I can get here! Maybe a sequel will happen if there's still enough interest in the IP. I'll definitely get this after work today!

Does anyone know if cheat codes were in the PC version in the first place? I only had the GameCube version back in the day, which I sold away like a month or two ago. I'm turning on the nail gun cheat code to stick people to walls in all of its 2003 jankiness if it's in this PC re-release. 😂

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Idk how it would play in 2020 but this game was everything to me back in the day. I must have played thru it 5 times from start to finish and I always wanted more, Soundtrack absolutely RIPS as well.

If this is a toe in the water to see if we still want Freedom Fighters 2, I'm saying YES, give me that

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, wow... will wait for impressions, but I'll probably buy it if only to increase the chances for a sequel.

This game was SO good!

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I hope this means they can get it working for backwards compatibility.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

CAN YOU FEEL IT?

Idk how it would play in 2020 but this game was everything to me back in the day. I must have played thru it 5 times from start to finish and I always wanted more, Soundtrack absolutely RIPS as well.

If this is a toe in the water to see if we still want Freedom Fighters 2, I'm saying YES, give me that
WEll, that was Kane & Lynch: Dead Men but...yeah.

Around this game's release, I played the PC demo and I didn't like how the gun play felt with a mouse so I went with Xbox and yeah, it's shooting mechanics were definitely made for autoaiming in mind.

I also probably listened to this game's music more so than actually played it.

God, Kyd was just a god during the 2000s.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
wtf? I have this on gamecube. I played it like a year ago and had an ok time with multiplayer but it was pretty rough.

tbh pc controls might help a lot but also.... why?

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I have this on OG Xbox and it's one of the few games to be 720p on that system but I wouldn't mind this on Steam.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if the original had widescreen support, but the launcher let me pick 1080p and everything seemingly looks right. Locked at 60 FPS mind you.

Hehe

2020-09-21m7jzn.png

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Probably my favorite game back on the PS2. Super excited to jump back in after so many years!

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously put 2 hours into the game already. Leveling up your charisma, to be able to have more soldiers, and moving back and forth across the maps to open up new areas and accomplish your overall goal...is just such a good hook.

Like I said before about making a new game like a real-time XCOM, imagine if you could customize your fighters that have different minor skills and weapons, they can permanently die, there is a strategic layer that is opening up new sections of maps, upgrading your weapons and tool, etc. I'd sure love to see something like that.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Not sure if the original had widescreen support, but the launcher let me pick 1080p and everything seemingly looks right. Locked at 60 FPS mind you.

Hehe

2020-09-21m7jzn.png
I don't believe the original had widescreen support. I played it on PC like 10 years ago and it didn't have native widescreen support. That looks really good compared to how it looked when I played it last.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
It's out on Steam now. And comes bundled with the soundtrack too! Under $10 with the limited time discount.

I'm still unclear whether this has controller support - some Steam discussion thread responses I can't really tell if they are being sarcastic or not...

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
It's out on Steam now. And comes bundled with the soundtrack too! Under $10 with the limited time discount.

I'm still unclear whether this has controller support - some Steam discussion thread responses I can't really tell if they are being sarcastic or not...
Accrding to pcgamingwiki it doesn't have controller support but I hope that changes on Steam.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most under appreciated games on PS2. I loved every single minute of this back then, so much fun.

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US

CAN YOU FEEL IT?

WEll, that was Kane & Lynch: Dead Men but...yeah.

Around this game's release, I played the PC demo and I didn't like how the gun play felt with a mouse so I went with Xbox and yeah, it's shooting mechanics were definitely made for autoaiming in mind.

I also probably listened to this game's music more so than actually played it.

God, Kyd was just a god during the 2000s.

Hell yeah, this game rocked back on the Xbox. I did the exact same thing. Around this era, I was choosing the Xbox versions over the PC counterparts. Spiderman 2 the game I'm looking at you.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Oh man! This is awesome. I'm definitely getting this. Loved this game and have looked into getting it for PC the last couple of years, but it wasn't available and apparently it had issues running on newer versions of windows if you had disc from back at original release. Awesome news!

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
wow havent heard that name in a while. for some reason I thought it was a superhero game that came out around a similar time, blanking on the name of that now though

edit:
Confused this with Freedom Force for a second. But this does sound cool, I remember hearing about it on a podcast a couple years ago and wishing I could play it.

yep this is exactly what came to my mind initially, that's the name

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
wow havent heard that name in a while. for some reason I thought it was a superhero game that came out around a similar time, blanking on the name of that now though

edit:

yep this is exactly what came to my mind initially, that's the name

Freedom Force. Made by Ex Looking Glass devs at Irrational.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a developer today, FF still remains one of my touchstones for pitching things like nonlinear objective flow and sandbox map design. I honestly can't wait to get back into this. Part of me even wants to replay the hilarious MP on the map with the absolute death trap alleyways that the mounted machine guns can absolutely lock down those choke points.