• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

9ZzH9fI.png

--------------------

Last edited:

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

ottawa.ctvnews.ca

'You miss a shift, you can't pay rent': Trucker protest keeping Ottawa workers from working

The ongoing downtown trucker demonstration is affecting many residents, especially those who can no longer earn a wage because of businesses having to close.

The ongoing downtown trucker demonstration is affecting many residents, especially those who can no longer earn a wage because of businesses having to close.
When demonstrators converged inside the Rideau Center on Jan. 29, many were protesting public health mandates, and many were unmasked.
"They came in and started yelling and screaming at people," says Roberta Arlidge, who works at a shop in the mall. "Everything that is going on right now is just scary."
For the sake of safety, Rideau Centre management decided to close the mall, leaving Arlidge without any shifts.
"It's bad when you don't work and you're making $15 an hour. You miss a shift and you can't pay your rent and it's stressful," says Arlidge, adding that there are also the costs of groceries and taking public transit. "We have no income and the people that come in everyday that I know are single mothers and are struggling. If they miss one shift, they have no money and I know for myself I have no savings so it's like one shift, I'm done."
The shopping centre in Ottawa's downtown has remained closed for eleven days, leaving hundreds of stores locked-up and more than 1,500 people from earning a living.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
User Banned (1 Month): Concern Trolling About a White Supremacist Movement over a Series of Posts
I was reading about sit-ins and protests. A lot of good causes used this form of protest.
An interesting one was about the disabled:

1935 New York City
The League of the Physically Handicapped in New York City was formed in May 1935 to protest discrimination by the Works Progress Administration (WPA).[24] The Home Relief Bureau of New York City stamped applications by physically handicapped applicants with "PH", which stood for "physically handicapped". Marked as "unemployable", they were denied access to WPA-created jobs.[25] To protest this, members of the League held a sit-in at that Home Relief Bureau for nine days beginning on May 29, 1935, and a weekend sit-in at the WPA headquarters, also in New York City, in June 1935.[26][27][28] These actions eventually led to the creation of 1,500 jobs for physically handicapped workers in New York City in 1936.

If we accept sit-ins, etc as legitimate forms of protest I believe these folks have a right to protest for their cause. Or is that reserved only for the causes we like?

en.wikipedia.org

Sit-in - Wikipedia

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we accept sit-ins, etc as legitimate forms of protest I believe these folks have a right to protest for their cause. Or is that reserved only for the causes we like?
Yeah you probably shouldn't be allowed to protest about how much you want to spread a plague around.

It's really complex, but good things are good and bad things are bad.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I was reading about sit-ins and protests. A lot of good causes used this form of protest.

1935 New York City
The League of the Physically Handicapped in New York City was formed in May 1935 to protest discrimination by the Works Progress Administration (WPA).[24] The Home Relief Bureau of New York City stamped applications by physically handicapped applicants with "PH", which stood for "physically handicapped". Marked as "unemployable", they were denied access to WPA-created jobs.[25] To protest this, members of the League held a sit-in at that Home Relief Bureau for nine days beginning on May 29, 1935, and a weekend sit-in at the WPA headquarters, also in New York City, in June 1935.[26][27][28] These actions eventually led to the creation of 1,500 jobs for physically handicapped workers in New York City in 1936.

en.wikipedia.org

Sit-in - Wikipedia

Sit-ins are legitimate, but calling whats going on in Ottawa a "sit-in" is a stretch.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

1935 New York City

en.wikipedia.org

Sit-in - Wikipedia

Some light reading for you:

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
I draw the line in the sand at protests that are seditious myself. We all should, because our democracy, as sick as it is, is still legitimate.
I imagine there were a lot of protests in history that were considered "anti-government" .
I don't agree with these folks or their goals in Canada but if you allow protests you will have protests.
I think the thing to do is bar large trucks and tractors from downtown areas in the future. Put up barriers that will keep big trucks out.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
I imagine there were a lot of protests in history that were considered "anti-government" .
I don't agree with these folks or their goals in Canada but if you allow protests you will have protests.

I had no qualms (though I worried) with them being here for 2 days when it was a protest. It's not a protest anymore. Are we 10 days ago, because it feels like you're arguing for a reality from 10 days ago.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
In many ways this pandemic has thought me a tough lesson:

The next time a global pandemic hits get my Asian ass faaaaaaarrr away from White People, and hightail it to an east Asian or southeast Asian country!

With climate change I don't think it'll take another century for the next global pandemic to hit.

It's stressed in me that if something even slightly worse hits (worse pandemic) or climate change really, really pops off we are so fucked. How are people going to act when governments have to start regulating fundamental resources...

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I think the thing to do is bar large trucks and tractors from downtown areas in the future. Put up barriers that will keep big trucks out.
There have been several anti-mask/anti-mandate protests in front of Queen's Park (provincial parliament) that have shut down traffic, but they've generally been peaceful and dispersed at the end of the day when police told them to. After all, covid mandates are largely determined by the provinces, not the federal gov't. Feds are just responsible for international borders.

The Ottawa protest has been disruptive, destructive, and offensive way beyond anything we've ever seen. Journalists are being threatened, residents are being harassed, and even police are getting bullied. It's completely unacceptable. Protests by Indigenous, Tamil, and other minority groups never became anything like this because the police shut them down hard. I mean can you imagine BLM protesters doing anything like this? I can't.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
January 6th was legitimate political discourse.

So there is a time limit for protests?
Anti-vaxxers and covid deniers have repeatedly protested in downtown Toronto for over a year. They've regularly closed down city blocks for hours and have constantly harassed healthcare workers or random folks wearing masks. Note how there's no large thread about it? Is there, perhaps, something notably different with the current shitshow?

ryan-ts

Oct 25, 2017
January 6th was legitimate political discourse.

Anti-vaxxers and covid deniers have repeatedly protested in downtown Toronto for over a year. They've regularly closed down city blocks for hours and have constantly harassed healthcare workers or random folks wearing masks. Note how there's no large thread about it? Is there, perhaps, something notably different with the current shitshow?
You're right. In this case, the protestors also tried to light a residential building on fire and lock the residents inside. Don't think that happened before.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You should maybe have a better understanding of the situation instead of dismissing the concerns and legitimizing what has become an occupation.

Residents such as myself don't feel safe, and businesses are unable to open due to how unsafe it is for customers. The constant noise is abusive and at the levels that is considered dangerous to your hearing. Not to mention the exhaust from all of the fumes flying up into residential buildings and apartments.

I am lucky enough that I work from home and was able to relocate in order to continue my work. But I had a mental breakdown before that point due to the constant noise. You cannot claim to be protesting for my freedom if your protest disrupts my ability to work and function and is harmful to people in general. It's harassment, plain and simple. And it's not just me, an entire residential & business core of the city has been completely disrupted, hurting people's ability to pay for food and rent.

To me, if your protest hurts the people you apparently represent the most, you're not a legitimate protest any longer.

And let's not legitimize it any further; it's astroturfing from upper-middle class and rich people. The organizers are well-off and are only doing this to incite culture wars and to bully people for fun. They're also well known white supremacists, anti-Islamists, and anti-Semitic. BLM and Indigenous people have held much larger protests in this city and it has been cracked down on by the end of the day by police. Yet when the demographics that make up this "protest" happen to be people who's skin is pasty white and espouse an ideology that is hateful it's funny to see how the police take out the kids gloves.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

1935 New York City

en.wikipedia.org

Sit-in - Wikipedia

Going to be straight with you man.

This is a white supremacist rally from American invaders. They're waving Nazi and Trump flags and shit. This has been well documented since day one.

You're not going to get much sympathy from this board caping from a Nazi rally regardless of how you try to present it as equivalent to a legitimate one.

It suggests that either you jumped in to defend this protest without actually looking up anything about it, in which case you might be well meaning but probably not as bright as you think you are, or that you saw manifest destiny and Nazism and thought that you'd rather side with those, in which case we have to take you as someone who thinks that Canadian society should and can safely take those ideologies as normal.

Last edited:

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we should be okay with known white surpremists organzing the convoy and pretend it's okay for them to do everything they want? I would much rather have them made an example of and show that anti vaxxers and the like are not welcome and protected by police when legit protests are handled much worst by police, in other words this wasn't a protest this was traitors trying to hold the capital hostage.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
IMO there should be no attempts of false equivocation between people placings their bodies within a building/area, as a form of protest, and people using huge behemoths to obstruct city streets and send both noise and air pollution into the air, to the detriment of all residents.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
When it's been 12 days and an entire chunk of the city has been locked down by torturous horns, screaming, fireworks, and abusive intimidation, and even an attempted apartment building fire, and now they're moving to different areas to set up what look like homeless campgrounds, I don't think it qualifies as a sit-in. These are people's homes and businesses, not just a government building. Especially when the top brass of this "sit-in" are calling for coalitions and the government to be disbanded. It's a racist movement disguising itself behind their kids and people's legitimate frustrations, and it's only still going on because the police are petrified to do anything because they might be attacked. The downtown core is held hostage, no other way around it.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017

1935 New York City

en.wikipedia.org

Sit-in - Wikipedia

Fuck off with excusing white supremacy as if it's some sort of valid protest. The fact you even thought to post stupid ass whataboutism about it says a lot about you.

Here's some reading for you:
HcuZIT5w8xJLMXoISDexG1GNz5Dj7xHO_QGeueMtdPU.jpg

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like to be recognised and respected as a protest you need to have claims and a cause that aren't ridiculous on their face.

This is just a congregation of idiots making farcical claims and demands, disrupting the vast majority of the population who they are at odds with. They are outsizing their impact and representation by bringing along trucks and other vehicles to clog cities with small numbers.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not much of a protest though when its clear its being funded by literally foreign interests.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Which reminds me of another thing, perhaps an element in the American influence here:

Canada does not claim to have absolute free speech. The way the right to free speech is written allows for limitations that are "justified in a free and democratic society". There's more to it than that, but the big thing is that it allows for the existence of laws targeting hate speech.

United States does not have that limitation, so it can't create laws to target hate speech. Hate speech has repeatedly been brought up with the Supreme Court and been explicitly stated to legally fall under protected speech.

So if you want to radicalize people to an ideology based on hate, trying to get people on board with media that falls under America's jurisdiction is probably a good way to do it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of fucking losers whining about is this Korea while shutting down commerce across borders because they don't want a vaccine or wear a mask is infantile

Imagine if any racial minority shut down international commerce this way.

They'd be on a no fly list within an hour

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Does Trudeau have 24/7 armed security protection?

If so he needs to pull a page from Kennedy and send in the army to clear out the white supremacist insurrection. I know he doesn't have jurisdiction over Ottawa, but you're dealing with seditionists here that have outright stated they want the government disbanded. That can't be tolerated in a civilized, democratic society. Governments are changed via elections, so send in the army it's legally justified at this point.

Last edited:

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
two weeks now and no one has raised a finger against these people. unfucking believable.

gg canada you had a good run.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
You should maybe have a better understanding of the situation instead of dismissing the concerns and legitimizing what has become an occupation.

Residents such as myself don't feel safe, and businesses are unable to open due to how unsafe it is for customers. The constant noise is abusive and at the levels that is considered dangerous to your hearing. Not to mention the exhaust from all of the fumes flying up into residential buildings and apartments.

I am lucky enough that I work from home and was able to relocate in order to continue my work. But I had a mental breakdown before that point due to the constant noise. You cannot claim to be protesting for my freedom if your protest disrupts my ability to work and function and is harmful to people in general. It's harassment, plain and simple. And it's not just me, an entire residential & business core of the city has been completely disrupted, hurting people's ability to pay for food and rent.

To me, if your protest hurts the people you apparently represent the most, you're not a legitimate protest any longer.

And let's not legitimize it any further; it's astroturfing from upper-middle class and rich people. The organizers are well-off and are only doing this to incite culture wars and to bully people for fun. They're also well known white supremacists, anti-Islamists, and anti-Semitic. BLM and Indigenous people have held much larger protests in this city and it has been cracked down on by the end of the day by police. Yet when the demographics that make up this "protest" happen to be people who's skin is pasty white and espouse an ideology that is hateful it's funny to see how the police take out the kids gloves.
Thank you for this post.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This is a straw man. By stating that this about their right to protest, you ignore the actual actions they have taken. Sit-ins don't include death threats. They don't include harassing residents with damaging sounds through the day and night. They don't include harassing businesses until they close.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017

1935 New York City

en.wikipedia.org

Sit-in - Wikipedia

Specious BS tbh.

Also, familiarize yourself with Canadian law. S1 of the charter quite quickly puts a limit on people's egregiously stupid bullshit including protests. Political expression is important and one of the most protected types of speech but even that has its limits.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with that. I'm going to make a precision around how it's fueled (teehee) by foreign interference. There's no way they'd have that sort of financial backing without it.
I mean,we got rich rightwingers here too. Plenty of them want what the US has; most of our provinces are ran by Conservatives.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
They want freedom without responsibility. That's a teenager mentality most people outgrow.

I think it's called impunity.

And while we have a home grown white supremacy problem, this is part of a global movement.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
They want freedom without responsibility. That's a teenager mentality most people outgrow.

I think it's called impunity.

And while we have a home grown white supremacy problem, this is part of a global movement.

Literally the people that are part of this "Freedom" convoy are those people that are still stuck in their High School mentality and never grew out of it.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The 90%:

windsor.ctvnews.ca

Truckers stuck for hours behind Windsor blockade say 'it should be cleared out'

Transport truck drivers have been idling for hours on Huron Church Road leading up the Ambassador Bridge border crossing in Windsor, Ont., because of protesting over COVID-19 pandemic restrictions.

WINDSOR, ONT. - Transport truck drivers have been idling for hours on Huron Church Road leading up the Ambassador Bridge border crossing in Windsor, Ont., because of a protest over COVID-19 pandemic restrictions.
"They can protest a different way," says Siva Sivayoganathan, a truck driver from Mississauga who arrived in Windsor around 8 p.m. Monday.
That's when Windsor Police reported that Huron Church Road was closed between Tecumseh Road and College Avenue

The cops:

-----------------------

Daniel Dale fact checking a regular "many people are saying" National Post columnist (who is also championed by degenerates):