• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
0tzifkb.gif

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Sherman always came across as a sharp dude. I guess we'll see in the days ahead what happened but my first reaction is disappointment.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Denied bail and the words domestic abuse don't sound great.

I'll wait for more info because who actually knows anything.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Will wait for more information but so far it sounds really bad and if true hopefully hes held accountable

Nov 9, 2017
Damn this is surprising, hope the victim is OK.

I was actually just hoping Dallas would sign him to a veteran contract.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Damn he was one of the players I had genuine respect for despite playing for two division rivals

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no what are you doing dude? I've always liked him so this is really shitty to hear. I hope no one was hurt and the victim(s) are ok. If he turns out to be a scumbag well...fuck him

bshark

Banned
Jun 25, 2018
This seems really out of character for him, hoping the best for the victim.

Sherm has financial investments in brain health/concussion safety, and been highly critical of the leagues protocol. It's easy to wonder if he himself was worried about early CTE effects.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
Taking a quick gander as to what he might've done...

In a domestic violence burglary situation, the offender is usually accused of entering or refusing to leave a house, business, vehicle or other dwelling. In first degree offenses, they are also accused of committing an act of violence or carrying a deadly weapon such as a knife or firearm.

For clarity, I guess in Seattle:
In Seattle, most violent crimes can also be domestic violence offenses if certain criteria are met. The law states that the crime may be domestic violence if it occurs against "one family or household member by another family or household member". This can involve, spouses, ex-spouses, two people in a dating relationship, children and parents and more. In these situations, the State will often be left to decide whether or not the crime should be considered domestic violence.

So, extrapolating from that, he entered or refused to leave a house, business, vehicle or dwelling that involved a family or household member. Assuming he's not booked on first degree charges. At least if I'm reading this right.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
did some googling since I didn't understand the charges either https://www.domesticviolenceseattle.com/seattle-domestic-violence-burglary

Washington Burglary Charges

In Washington, there are 2 degrees of burglary charges that can be involved in domestic violence. Both crimes involve the illegal entering of a building. The more serious burglary offenses involve violence or a deadly weapon. Both offenses are felonies and can result in steep penalties.

Burglary in the Second Degree:

The lesser of the two burglary domestic violence charges involves second degree charges. Washington law RCW 9A.52.030 (1) states:

A person is guilty of burglary in the second degree if, with intent to commit a crime against a person or property therein, he or she enters or remains unlawfully in a building other than a vehicle or a dwelling.

This offense is a Class B felony. Under Washington law, the penalties include up to 10 years of incarceration, a fine of up to $20,000 or a combination of them both.

Burglary in the First Degree:

Burglary in the first degree is the more serious burglary offense and is more common in domestic violence situations. Under RCW 9A.52.020 (1), the law states:

A person is guilty of burglary in the first degree if, with intent to commit a crime against a person or property therein, he or she enters or remains unlawfully in a building and if, in entering or while in the building or in immediate flight therefrom, the actor or another participant in the crime (a) is armed with a deadly weapon, or (b) assaults any person.

The penalties for a burglary in the first degree include up to a life sentence of jail time and up to $50,000 in fines. It is important to seek experienced legal counsel as soon as you are arrested. As in all domestic violence cases, it is up to the State, not the victim, whether or not charges will be filed.

it's not clear which specific charge is involved with Sherman.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Not necessarily. They almost always deny bail before you've been in front of a judge. Not that it isn't bad, but that isn't really an indication if it is or isn't.
I don't know how the jail system works in Seattle, but in Phoenix you see a judge within a few hours of being booked and they either order release you or give you a court date at which time they can also grant bail. The fact that he was denied bail leads me to believe he has seen a judge.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how the jail system works in Seattle, but in Phoenix you see a judge within a few hours of being booked and they either order release you or give you a court date at which time they can also grant bail. The fact that he was denied bail leads me to believe he has seen a judge.

Arraignment can be up to 72 hours. In a high profile case like this, I doubt it takes that long. But following arraignment, he should have a bail hearing (not from WA state, so just a guess), which I would imagine he would get bail at that point. Because of the DV component, he's probably denied bail until then.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeesh!!! I was just talking with an co-worker that being Black and outspoken is an bigger red flag in the NFL than being an criminal. I used Richard Sherman as an example of the former. This is disappointing to me that he got himself into this situation.

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...arrested-domestic-violence-charge-denied-bail
The spokesman, who would not confirm the name of the person taken into custody, said a 911 call from the residence was received at 2 a.m. PT. The person calling said that an adult male family member who did not live at the residence was attempting to force his way into the home.

When police arrived, the suspect was located outside the home. He fought with police but was eventually apprehended and taken to a local hospital to be checked but was cleared and then booked into the King County Correctional Facility.

The spokesman said no one in the residence was injured.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I won't speculate what was going on, but whoever was in the house was scared enough to call the cops on him. Not good.

But given what we know about how cops report this shit, I will disregard the "fought with police" portion unless there's proof.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite players of recent memory, and I was always proud of the work he was doing both on and off the field as a Hawks fan. But this is really disappointing to hear for such a revered player.

Oct 27, 2017
https://komonews.com/news/local/former-seahawk-richard-sherman-arrested-in-seattle-bail-denied
The incident originally unfolded at around 1:45 a.m. when state troopers responded to a report of a hit-and-run crash in a construction site near State Route 520 and 148th Street in Redmond, police said.

Authorities say Sherman was driving the vehicle involved in the crash. He tried to keep driving, but damage to the vehicle was too severe so he got out and left on foot.

He then went to the home of a relative and tried to force his way in. And he got bit by a police dog. They don't know yet whether alcohol or drugs were involved, but seems likely to me.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The caller described Sherman as being "drunk and belligerent" and said he was "threatening to kill himself." The caller, who identified herself at one point as "Ashley Sherman," also said Sherman was "being aggressive," wrestled with her uncle and "sent text messages to people saying he's going to hang himself."

The caller can be heard attempting to prevent Sherman from leaving the residence, saying, "Richard, please stop." She also told the 911 dispatcher that Sherman drank two bottles of hard alcohol.

www.espn.com

911 caller: Sherman 'drunk,' threatened suicide

Richard Sherman was intoxicated and threatened to kill himself during a confrontation with family members before his arrest early Wednesday in a Seattle suburb, according to a 911 caller who identified herself as his wife.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I feel like those sorts of details shouldn't be made public.

If he's actually having a mental health crisis, this shouldn't be being reported in violation of his reasonable right to privacy.