• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

A freak hail storm has struck Guadalajara, one of Mexico's most populous cities, burying vehicles in a deluge of ice pellets up to two metres deep.

Guadalajara, located north of Mexico City and with a population of around five million, has been experiencing summer temperature of around 31C (88F) in recent days.

While seasonal hail storms do occur, there is no record of anything so heavy.

At least six neighbourhoods in the city outskirts woke up to ice pellets up to two metres deep.

While children scampered around and hurled iceballs at each other, civil protection personnel and soldiers brought out heavy machinery to clear the roads.

Nearly 200 homes and businesses reported hail damage, and at least 50 vehicles were swept away by the deluge of ice in hilly areas, some buried under piles of pellets.

TTnOrOL.jpg

ASB04wb.jpg

N9UZa6Z.jpg

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
How does 2 meters of hails NOT destroy everything in its radius? Like holy shit, just think about it, for there to be actual layers of hail that had to be going for hours.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Wtf that's actually terrifying...but fascinating at the same time.
Any explanations yet on how this happened? Details on anything

Anyway forget cars on the streets, the freaking buildings are gonna have their roofs caved in with 2meters of hails.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Any explanations yet on how this happened? Details on anything

Says this on CNNs site:

Low pressure extending south from the US and Mexico border had been forecast to contribute to developing storms along the boundary separating different air masses, CNN Meteorologist Michael Guy said.

"Once these storms developed, all the ingredients came together for there to be this strange hailstorm over Guadalajara," he said.

"The last storm along the front died out and created an outflow boundary," and the city's mountainous location helped a new storm rapidly develop, Guy added.

The city is nearly 5,000 feet above sea level and usually maintains a temperate climate, Guy said. The summer months are often rainy and severe weather isn't unheard of, because of the city's elevation.

"However, this was a case where atmospheric and topographic ingredients came into play to cause a freakish hail storm," he said.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
See? Snow and hail in Mexico! In summer?? Where's your Global Warming now? CHECKMATE LIBERALS!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Boston and we've definitely had hail storms in the summer too. Not anywhere near that, but enough to have people scrambling for cover because they were walking about on what had just been a nice day

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
By the way? Same latitude (-ish) as Cuba, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Hawaii. In the middle of the summer.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was hailing in New York City last Saturday. Just for half an hour though. And tiny regular hail. Still odd.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
That is nuts. My basic grasp of hail is that I always thought the bigger the storm system the bigger the hail balls got. I didn't know you could get a mass accumulation of smaller hail like a flash snow storm. I can't imagine this will even be the last "freak" weather even this year let alone in the next several decades. everythingisfine.jpg

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Those are some crazy pictures. Looks insanely local as well. streets a bit off having nothing. At least one roof has collapsed as well.

nuts