• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
www.theguardian.com

Frank Oz on life as Fozzie Bear, Miss Piggy and Yoda: ‘I’d love to do the Muppets again but Disney doesn’t want me’

He played some of the most memorable characters of all time on The Muppet Show and Sesame Street - then became a brilliant comedy director. What is he most proud of?

Frank Oz on life as Fozzie Bear, Miss Piggy and Yoda: 'I'd love to do the Muppets again but Disney doesn't want me'

This is an absolutely incredible interview with Frank, but the title is the real shocker:

Disney finally managed to buy the Muppets – but not Sesame Street – in 2004, and to Oz's mind, there's a "demarcation line between the Jim Henson Muppets and the Disney Muppets": "There's an inability for corporate America to understand the value of something they bought. They never understood, with us, it's not just about the puppets, it's about the performers who love each other and have worked together for many years."

Oz hasn't worked with the Muppets since 2007, and I assumed he'd retired. I assumed incorrectly: "I'd love to do the Muppets again but Disney doesn't want me, and Sesame Street hasn't asked me for 10 years. They don't want me because I won't follow orders and I won't do the kind of Muppets they believe in," he says. He can't bear to watch the Muppets or Sesame Street today: "The soul's not there. The soul is what makes things grow and be funny. But I miss them and love them."

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
"They don't want me because I won't follow orders and I won't do the kind of Muppets they believe in," he says.

I am SHOCKED that a company that wants complete control would not want Frank Oz

www.youtube.com

Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas "Outtakes"

"drum roll" please!!!! lolside note: the one rolling the drum is Jerry Juhl the one telling them what to do in the background is the late Ji...

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TIL that Frank Oz is still alive.

He is one of those magical 70s hippies that is hard to believe exists because of his views of the world. His effortless humor, and his way of making dolls have life and personality is an art that few have mastered.

He also makes it hard to watch newer sesame street or Muppet shows because I know his voice, and hearing Fozzie or Miss Piggy or Bert with a different voice just sounds off.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
I know that everyone is running with the Disney title because of course, it's Disney, but in the same paragraph he says that Sesame Workshop hasn't worked with him in 10 years, so it's clearly not just Disney.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly just give it to Frank. Let him form a company to do the Muppets, rake in the profits.
Make a Logan-style Muppets movie with Miss Piggy. Don't tie it in with any cinematic universe what-so-ever. Just do a rough, beautiful, emotional tale about an older Piggy. Have Frank Oz direct. Give him full control. Watch the box office explode.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I want him to do something with Steve Martin again. The two of them together are gold (Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Bowfinger, etc).

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Frank Oz is so underrated, he's done it all and has classic films under his belt too. And he's frickin Yoda.

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017
That final bit at the end of the article is so lovely. Frank is a gem.

Honestly just give it to Frank. Let him form a company to do the Muppets, rake in the profits.
Dude's coming up on 80. He's a national treasure and by all accounts the rightful steward of the Muppets but he probably doesn't want all that stress and would prefer to just dabble in whatever projects strike his fancy.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I know that everyone is running with the Disney title because of course, it's Disney, but in the same paragraph he says that Sesame Workshop hasn't worked with him in 10 years, so it's clearly not just Disney.
It's both sides, Sesame Workshop is however now a WB entity now and Muppets with Disney.

I assume they don't want to talk to Oz only because they see him as the old guard.

Oct 27, 2017
Henson and Oz were legendary together. The soul of the Muppets for sure.

Reading the interview made me, like the interviewer, tear up.

There was something so magical and mystical about the Muppets that I tie the better parts of my early childhood to. In fact, I tie much of the good parts of my character as a whole to it. I identify with its optimistic, non-cynical take towards life and finding the good in others, even when there exists such pain and torment in the world simultaneously.

Last edited:

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
What's wrong with modern sesame street?
They probably don't want the riffing and improvisation that he brings to the table. Some old sesame street were pretty funny, but they probably want the show tighter, more safe comedy. Sesame street in it's current state is better than it was ten years ago, though.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
The thing that gets me about Frank oz is how he still talks about Jim in the most reverent of terms. Anytime you try to praise Frank for something, he's quick to tell you Jim deserved the credit more.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I am SHOCKED that a company that wants complete control would not want Frank Oz

www.youtube.com

Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas "Outtakes"

"drum roll" please!!!! lolside note: the one rolling the drum is Jerry Juhl the one telling them what to do in the background is the late Ji...

Literally the entirety of Miss Piggy's character came about from his improv moments. The first time she did the flying karate kick was completely unscripted and had the whole cast and crew dying, so they went with it. And yet that's exactly the kind of stuff you think of when you think of her. Dude's a genius and has a fantastic skill in developing character.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I read the article to get the dirt on Disney, not gonna lie.

But the title is misleading and the article is far more depressing. No one is working with Frank Oz these days. WB and Sesame haven't touched him in 15 years either. I wonder if he's so passionate about the Muppets that he's non collaborative or has a reputation for being "tough to work with". I personally don't give a shit, I wish he had full control of the Muppets. Let Sesame do their thing but Disney hasn't done anything of note with the Muppets since the Jason Segal movie. And then they fucked up the sequel. Give it to Frank or at least give him a movie and let him go wild.

The article also made me deeply emotional. He misses Jim and their friendship, their chemistry. I miss it too. They gave the world so many gifts and I honestly believe that programs like Sesame Street were deeply influential to my growth.

Can't express enough gratitude to this man for his contributions. He deserves to be celebrated.

God I remember all of these. Thank you so much. My childhood just came rushing back. Fozzie and the cows always got me.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Another reason to like Rian Johnson. He seems to be one of the few people that still respects Oz, with him pushing to get Oz into The Last Jedi and having him in Knives Out.

And about Disney, I've noticed they've been phasing out the old Muppet performers anyway. They also stopped working with Steve Whitmire for reasons unknown.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Another reason to like Rian Johnson. He seems to be one of the few people that still respects Oz, with him pushing to get Oz into The Last Jedi and having him in Knives Out.

And about Disney, I've noticed they've been phasing out the old Muppet performers anyway. They also stopped working with Steve Whitmire for reasons unknown.

The reasons are pretty known. Brian Henson is on record saying Steve was a known problem shortly after taking over the role, acting like a diva and a king because he voiced Kermit. "Outrageous demands", refusal to have an understudy, lashing out at writers and directors, screwing over young talent by refusing to perform with them. By all accounts dude seemed like an ass.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Of course Frank deserves to have control of the Muppets property, but lesser asked, but no less important question, is where is my What About Bob sequel?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
TIL that Frank Oz is still alive.

He is one of those magical 70s hippies that is hard to believe exists because of his views of the world. His effortless humor, and his way of making dolls have life and personality is an art that few have mastered.

He also makes it hard to watch newer sesame street or Muppet shows because I know his voice, and hearing Fozzie or Miss Piggy or Bert with a different voice just sounds off.

He was in Knives Out!

He also literally directed the hugely acclaimed In & of Itself by Derek DelGaudio this year.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Well this is horrible. I assumed he deliberately left The Muppets behind to work in film, where he is a stellar director. Awful to learn that Disney doesn't want him.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I figured he was on good terms with Disney after coming back for The Last Jedi.
I guess that was more on Rian Johnson rather than Disney.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Its sad. If I were Disney or Sesame, Id want to bring him in to help out or to do projects. Like wow, he is one of the original staff that made them what they were.

Disney have failed for the last decade basically, just give him another shot!

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Disney has almost nothing to lose by letting him do more Muppets. It's like they're so confused about what to do with them that they refuse to do anything at all (though the Haunted Mansion thing looks promising).

1. Just do a modern Muppet Show.
2. Do more Muppet literary movies like all the memes.

Celebrities LOVE working with them and there's strong nostalgia from the general public. They treat the Muppets like WB treats Superman: complete befuddlement over a simple concept.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For years, he didn't really want to do more Muppets either.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
It's both sides, Sesame Workshop is however now a WB entity now and Muppets with Disney.

I assume they don't want to talk to Oz only because they see him as the old guard.

I am pretty sure Sesame is an independent non profit and has nothing to do with Warner Bros. They just acquired some rights to the home video releases. Which is why Sesame was able to do a deal with Apple.

Also on that article Frank claims that Disney killed Jim.

Frank Oz has spoken out in criticism of Disney's recent Muppet movies, claiming that the studio's attempts to acquire The Muppets "is probably what killed" creator Jim Henson.
www.independent.co.uk

Disney’s attempt to buy The Muppets ‘probably killed’ Jim Henson, claims Frank Oz

‘Jim was not a dealer, he was an artist, and it was destroying him, it really was,’ claimed the actor and puppeteer

Which I think is a little bit in bad taste.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I am pretty sure Sesame is an independent non profit and has nothing to do with Warner Bros. They just acquired some rights to the home video releases. Which is why Sesame was able to do a deal with Apple.

www.independent.co.uk

Disney’s attempt to buy The Muppets ‘probably killed’ Jim Henson, claims Frank Oz

‘Jim was not a dealer, he was an artist, and it was destroying him, it really was,’ claimed the actor and puppeteer

I feel like that article is a good example of why Disney isn't going near him unless they have to (ie: big ole Star Wars)

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like that article is a good example of why Disney isn't going near him unless they have to (ie: big ole Star Wars)

Yah this exactly. Disney is way too sterile to take a chance with someone as creative and out of fucks to give for what a boardroom of suits might think of what he does.

A Muppet Christmas Carol is like one of my oldest family traditions. I'll watch it at 2am random December nights and can almost smell my house at age 8 - some serious magic in those original movies.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Disney isn't a fan of strong willed creatives. It's a shame because his work with Jim Henson is brilliant and he's extremely talented on his own.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018

Pretty much.

Frank Oz is great, but when you start claiming Disney killed Jim Henson, don't be surprised when Disney don't call you back. Also hasn't even Jim Henson studios worked with him recently? There must be a reason why all 3 studios (Sesame, Disney, Jim Henson) are not talking to him.

Disney isn't a fan of strong willed creatives. It's a shame because his work with Jim Henson is brilliant and he's extremely talented on his own.

It's not always as simple as that. Look at the drama with Steve Whitmere as an example.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Jim Henson’s Son Explains Why Kermit Actor Was Replaced

Brian Henson said that actor Steve Whitmire made "outrageous demands" and would often "play brinkmanship."

Last edited:

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Pretty much.

Frank Oz is great, but when you start claiming Disney killed Jim Henson, don't be surprised when Disney don't call you back.

Ha, yeah. That is definitely a reason. Jim Henson was an obsessive creator which didn't help his health.
Pretty much.

Frank Oz is great, but when you start claiming Disney killed Jim Henson, don't be surprised when Disney don't call you back.

It's not always as simple as that. Look at the drama with Steve Whitmere as an example.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Jim Henson’s Son Explains Why Kermit Actor Was Replaced

Brian Henson said that actor Steve Whitmire made "outrageous demands" and would often "play brinkmanship."

I get that, and the claims Frank Oz has said about Disney killing Henson. Henson was an obsessive creator who probably didn't put his health first. He's one of my favorite creatives ever and his journals on Labyrinth fascinate me.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Ha, yeah. That is definitely a reason. Jim Henson was an obsessive creator which didn't help his health.

I get that, and the claims Frank Oz has said about Disney killing Henson. Henson was an obsessive creator who probably didn't put his health first. He's one of my favorite creatives ever and his journals on Labyrinth fascinate me.

I met Brian Froud a few years back, him and Henson were a powerful pair when together. Dark Crystal and Labyrinth will always be my favourite films of all time.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I read that Frank oz came back recently do the voice of groover/Yoda "groda" in this skit ?

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I met Brian Froud a few years back, him and Henson were a powerful pair when together. Dark Crystal and Labyrinth will always be my favourite films of all time.

Mine too! The frouds are amazing and I am jealous. I've used Wendy's old meditation app on my iPhone a lot years ago. The closest I've been to anything Froud based in person was visiting the Fernie Brae shop in Portland, Or years back.

I did a toy photoshoot using a Jareth figurine and a custom Sara which ended up in a toy photography magazine. I should do a follow up shot.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY

It's not, and by all accounts... it was a major factor that did him in.

Gotta remember, this wasn't the acquisition by Disney of today, this was the attempt by Michael Eisner and Disney back in the late 80s to acquire The Muppets. In a lot of documentaries and biographies about the time, there's LOTS of mentions and commentary about Eisner attempting to strong arm Henson. Henson was being put through the wringer about a potential deal - and it went on for MONTHS, and it drained him and lead to some of the health complications that eventually took him out. A lot of the commentary put the blame on Jim Henson for ignoring his health as the core factor that did him in, but that the Eisner/Disney acquisition was a HEAVILY contributing factor.

Edit: Also, forgot to mention, but a LOT of the breakdown in the deal between Henson and Eisner/Disney was because Eisner was PUSHING HEAVILY to acquire Sesame Muppets as part of the deal, and Henson was hell bent on protecting them for Children's Workshop.

Last edited: