• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Halo Infinite" was revealed at E3 2018 and an official release date is still a ways off, but "Halo" franchise creative director Frank O'Connor recently said he's "extremely happy" with how its multiplayer is shaping up.

O'Connor talked about some of the design decisions going into "Infinite's" multiplayer during a lengthy Twitter thread on Saturday. Player style is subjective and broad, he said, and it must be accounted for in everything from initial design proposals to final schemes and matchmaking performance. "Everything is connected, and top tier players are stacked on a pyramid of different styles and preferences," he said. "Options help, but the core game loop must also be good, and that will be true no matter what changes are made to the next game, and should be at least fairly considered when having conversations, as should campaign content and player options/choices."

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/halo-infinite-multiplayer-comments-1203101221/

Jun 22, 2018
I have also liked every flavor of Halo MP so far. Some more than others, of course, but I have enjoyed them all.

Halo 2 and Halo 5 are my favorites.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's not like he's going to say he hates it? I'm sure the MP will be great the same as it was in 5 but this means nothing.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frankie. The Halo boss.
Beamish should be a Firefight boss in Infinite.

OWcnS3P.jpg

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Weird that the article doesn't reference the whole point of the linked Twitter thread: that some vocal people want Halo 3's feel to return, and that's what Frank was specifically replying to. Interesting.

Also lol at this:

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
I just want to see what direction this game goes in. We are at a crossroads here, do we continue down the current path or take a turn? I can't wait to see what 343 is doing. The switch in art styles has me all kinds of curious.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get rid of enhanced mobility!!

I've been playing a lot of MCC lately. While I loved Halo 2 and 3, I don't think I need more of it. I don't know that a new Halo game with that pace would do well. I think it would feel way too slow and stiff compared to today's games. I thought Halo 5 was a really solid foundation. I think there's changes that can be made to make it feel more like Halo, but I don't think they should swing the pendulum in the other direction and go back to just running around slowly with jumping.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Halo 5 IMO had the best feeling MP. Don't get me wrong Halo 2 and 3 were great but 5 felt like a great evolution. If they get infinite to that level I'm in. Now if they could just get the campaign right....

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 2 plays radically different from Halo 3, but both are classic. I think that Halo 3 is often cited as the peak in the formula, not because of game feel alone, but because of features and the overall timing of when it was released. I don't think most people who want good classic Halo would prefer to emulate the feel of Halo 3 over 2.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing a lot of MCC lately. While I loved Halo 2 and 3, I don't think I need more of it. I don't know that a new Halo game with that pace would do well. I think it would feel way too slow and stiff compared to today's games. I thought Halo 5 was a really solid foundation. I think there's changes that can be made to make it feel more like Halo, but I don't think they should swing the pendulum in the other direction and go back to just running around slowly with jumping.
Honestly, just up the standard run speed. There's no need for sprint.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, keep enhanced mobility. Halo 5 is the best feeling Halo by a mile.

Filthy casual confirmed or whatever.

Although I've only played a little bit of Halo 5 on PC forge mode since I didn't get an Xbox 1, I think this summarizes the issues with the new mobility systems.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Don't need enhanced mobility if the base speed is fast enough and the maps are designed accordingly.

For reference, it takes the same amount of time to sprint around Truth as it does to "walk" around Midship/Heretic. Yeah, that enhanced mobility sure does speed up the game.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Halo 5 had some of the best mobility in the serious and felt very responsive and fluid while still requiring some skill to perform the trick jumps that make Halo's map traversal so fun. My only issue with Halo MP in general is that the whole Arena FPS genre isn't very popular anymore and I think in order for Halo to position itself as a MP giant, it will have to reinvent itself in one way or another. My suggestion would be to make it a Hero shooter skin to Overwatch, Siege and BO4. I think a Halo with the core mechanics of 5 and the additional depth of heros would work great it executed properly.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
It's hard to really extract anything meaningful from this statement. While what 343 has shown and has talked about regarding Infinite has been encouraging, they've fumbled the ball too many times for me to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm fully expecting Halo 5's gameplay with some tweaks, which I would not at all be a fan of.
An easy way to solve that problem is simply to have a fast base movement speed. In the context of Halo, there is literally nothing that Sprint accomplishes that could not be similarly accomplished by having the player's base mobility go at a decent clip, and Sprint introduces more problems too.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Although I've only played a little bit of Halo 5 on PC forge mode since I didn't get an Xbox 1, I think this summarizes the issues with the new mobility systems.

Nah, that's just preference. I've played 172 hours of Halo 5 and I think it feels amazing to sprint and clamber around the maps. I love classic Halo feel too but I'd be very disappointed if they went back to a slower, less dynamic traversal system.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to really extract anything meaningful from this statement. While what 343 has shown and has talked about regarding Infinite has been encouraging, they've fumbled the ball too many times for me to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm fully expecting Halo 5's gameplay with some tweaks, which I would not at all be a fan of.

An easy way to solve that problem is simply to have a fast base movement speed. In the context of Halo, there is literally nothing that Sprint accomplishes that could not be similarly accomplished by having the player's base mobility go at a decent clip, and Sprint introduces more problems too.
Honestly, just up the standard run speed. There's no need for sprint.

I don't necessarily mean Sprint. They could take that away and I wouldn't mind. I more mean stuff like the boost jets that allow short dashes in directions. I think that's an awesome movement aspect of 5.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
are they the same exact size? Is Sprint the entirety of enhanced mobility?

No, Truth is bigger than Midship/Heretic which is exactly my point. Truth is a remake of those two maps and made bigger to accommodate sprint.

And obviously sprint isn't all of enhance mobility, but it's a huge one.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'm just hopeful that Infinite's multiplayer might have a presence among my friend group where Halo 5 was dead on arrival from a combination of my circle being lapsed Xbox owners and also Halo 5 dropping split-screen. Play Anywhere, split-screen and xCloud might resuscitate this a bit among my friends.

Keep enhanced mobility indeed. I'm ready to flight test this thing.