• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yiazmat

Oct 25, 2017

"When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he's right because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration.

"I don't know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again," the 80-year-old filmmaker said.

"Martin was kind when he said it's not cinema. He didn't say it's despicable, which I just say it is."

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
"Martin was kind when he said it's not cinema. He didn't say it's despicable, which I just say it is."

4bUV7Ls.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Coppola is a filmmaking god but he isn't infallible. Remember Jack?

Anyway, I don't get the point of people being offended by these guys not liking your megafranchise. Its just an opinion. They aren't gatekeeping.

Your most popular franchise isn't being opressed.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Lmao that last part. Like thats typical boomer shit. Y'all made some great movies but go fuck off or something you old fuckin' fogeys.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Coppola is a filmmaking god but he isn't infallible. Remember Jack?

Anyway, I don't get the point of people being offended by these guys not liking your megafranchise. Its just an opinion. They aren't gatekeeping.

Coppola's massive decline is well known.

But when you Godfather 1 and 2, Apocalypse Now, The Conversation, that makes you one of the GOAT's in cinema.

Sage Anahata

Banned
Oct 6, 2019
Isn't feeling inspired, enlightened or excited by something completely subjective to each and every individual?

Also, "expectation is the root of all disappointment". Not that that can be avoided per say, but maybe something to be aware of.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Old people don't like what's popping

Thank u next

4bUV7Ls.gif
Lmao that last part. Like thats some straight up boomer shit. Y'all made some great movies but go fuck off or something you old fuckin' fogeys.

5 min in and here comes the ageism yessssir the only type of discrimination allowed here for some reason ?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Now people will explain why the man who made The Godfather can't understand Marvel movies.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
scorsese is right though they weren't gonna finance the Irishman because it wasn't what Hollywood caters to now a days. A movie that is trending as being Scorsese's best reviews film ever he had a right to be pissed

Oct 30, 2017
Jesus Christ, and I thought I was a film snob

Thank goodness these are just people whose opinions can be ignored

These great directors who have made truly classic movies and work hard to preserve film should be ignored because they don't like the spandex people movies.

I'm just not seeing it. Sometimes when elders speak you should actually sit down and listen.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what George Lucas and Brian De Palma think?

Out of the 70's movie brats, we have yet to hear those two's opinion on marvel movies.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
"I don't know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again," the 80-year-old filmmaker said.
FFC really seems like he needs better critical thinking skills. There is obviously a reason people keep wanting to watch Marvel movies and why they keep breaking $1B. He just doesn't seem to be able to grasp why that is.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
User Banned (5 days): Inflammatory Comment

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I will die on this hill. Why is open ageism permitted here? It toxicly poisons the discourse and adds absolutely nothing. I'm dipping out of this though since every thread on this topic as for some reason allowed such nonsense. Have fun with all your derogatory personal attacks because someone doesn't like your Comic movies.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
These great directors who have made truly classic movies and work hard to preserve film should be ignored because they don't like the spandex people movies.

I'm just not seeing it. Sometimes when elders speak you should actually sit down and listen.
But what's the point? It feels like the worst timing to come out on this hate train when the mcu is going to be on its longest break in a while now and ended its first saga.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I will die on this hill. Why is open ageism permitted here? It toxicly poisons the discourse and adds absolutely nothing. I'm dipping out of this though since every thread on this topic as for some reason allowed such nonsense. Have fun with all your derogatory personal attacks because someone doesn't like your Comic movies.

He's old, so he can't get excited with "Avengers assemble"

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Birds of a feather.

Also, there's certainly a gap between "cinema" and "movies". Art and pulp. You can enjoy both.
Cinema is literally just another word for a movie or a movie theater. That's it.

These dudes were fortunate to exist in a brief era where there was an infrastructure for studios to put their movies front-and-center without worrying about financial ruin, and they're being snobs about it.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
When are Lucas and Spielberg gonna jump in on this Marvel debate? If only Hitchcock was alive to give us his thoughts on Spider-Man fighting Thanos in space.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
My original comment had nothing to do with ALL old people. Just these 2 goons. I just pointed out what they are. Old ass boomers. I don't actually mean fuck each and every last old person you ding dongs.
Age discrimination is real and covered by federal law, so yes, people can be rude ignorant fucks to people based on age in a bigoted manner "lmao okay"
Yes? He "attacked" a movie, people are attacking his person.
Those poor rich old white dudes.