• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 1, 2018
Texas
this is not a good idea compare chrono serie to a gatcha game.... i finish Another Eden and it has 0 quality of any chrono games...
1. Quality is subjective.

2. It's a single player game with a side of gacha elements. Branding it as just a gacha game is disingenuous.

3. The point of me mentioning it is because it has some of the same staff working on it, and it's an epic time-traveling RPG.

Feb 8, 2018
I know this doesn't technically count but it's mind blowing to me that we they never made a Star Wars Battlefront III (talking about the old games). Obviously there is the EA reboot but there was a ten year gap between those. And I'm fairly certain that Battlefront I was the highest selling Star Wars game ever made. Until Battlefront II came around. And after that?
Nothing.
We know they were working on a Battlefront III but that they just never attempted anything like it again for another 7 years after Free Radical folded is really strange.

The only hope for battlefront is if they try to capture Free radicals vision with the new "Battlefront 3" if that will even be released. Everything I saw from the reboots honestly looks like modern Battlefield gameplay with Star Wars skin. No soul, nothing exciting about it(the reveal was ok) They even considered making the BF reboot 1st person only. Heard BF 2 is better now to be fair who knows what the future brings but by that time other similar games might have better gameplay.

Last edited:

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
I know this doesn't technically count but it's mind blowing to me that we they never made a Star Wars Battlefront III (talking about the old games). Obviously there is the EA reboot but there was a ten year gap between those. And I'm fairly certain that Battlefront I was the highest selling Star Wars game ever made. Until Battlefront II came around. And after that?
Nothing.
We know they were working on a Battlefront III but that they just never attempted anything like it again for another 7 years after Free Radical folded is really strange.
Yeah this was wack, I remember everything seemingly going great with Battlefront II and they just never made a sequel.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know it is a spin off, but I'm surprised we never got a Battlefield Bad Company this gen

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Virtua Tennis and Top Spin.....each had 4+ mainline entries; each series last 2 entries were million sellers. Each series last entry had critical praise.

What's more as there was about a decade of ZERO tennis games after those releases.

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
tJ0Iu3S.png

Admittedly, it's hard to have a clear picture of how it sold, given the digital nature of the title, but it did at least well enough to merit a sequel, and was reasonably well-reviewed.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Quake, Jet Moto, Power Stone, Jet set radio, Soldier of Fortune, Wild Arms, Road Rash (a real one not a fan made)

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Dragon's Dogma, even though they say they care about the franchise we haven't really seen any of that after the expansion and ports were released. Even the MMO was shutdown before making it to the west. Still hoping for something to be announced soon...

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Vandal Hearts

Advance Wars

Ogre Battle

Front Mission

Literally every major tactics-type game from the past is nonexistent. Everyone relying on indie copies.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Yea, now that I think about it, the last one was def a bomber. Medicore reviews didn't help.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

(Also known as "Advance Wars: Dark Conflict" in the UK/EU) After a cataclysmic meteor strike exterminates 90% of the population, the survivors must battle barbarians, disease, and strongmen who seek only to secure their own power. Advance Wars has been reinvented. Set amidst a world in chaos...

\shrug

The game was really good, had very good reviews and... everyone decided to collectively ignore it. It bombed massively

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
User Banned (3 Days): Admitting to piracy
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Especially the last game, Spirit of Justice was so beloved by everyone and it sold extremely well and yet Capcom decided now was the time to stop making them.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

(Also known as "Advance Wars: Dark Conflict" in the UK/EU) After a cataclysmic meteor strike exterminates 90% of the population, the survivors must battle barbarians, disease, and strongmen who seek only to secure their own power. Advance Wars has been reinvented. Set amidst a world in chaos...

\shrug

The game was really good, had very good reviews and... everyone decided to collectively ignore it. It bombed massively
I had fun playing that game on my flashcard ^^

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Eternal-Sonata.jpg

The game was fantastic. The reception was excellent, both critically and sales-wise. Never got anything else to make it a series.

I love Eternal Sonata, but a sequel wouldn't really work. Unless you ignore the whole "world takes place in the mind of a dying man, the famous pianist Bach" angle.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, I'm not finished with it yet but isn't the back half of Odyssey's main story + DLC a complete mess? And Infinite + Burial At Sea episode 2 were already terrible stories.
They're totally different franchises, so it's hard to say they'll be doing the same thing. For example, the same narrative director worked a bit on Gods & Monsters before going to the new BioShock. Also, it's a whole new studio: Cloud Chambers. Ken Levine isn't involved at all.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Pretty much every single Genesis Sega franchise with the exception of Sonic and now SoR got dropped. A lot of their Dreamcast franchises died off as well after the merger.

A few others come to mind - Chrono, Golden Sun, Mother, F-Zero

Feb 8, 2018
Virtua Tennis and Top Spin.....each had 4+ mainline entries; each series last 2 entries were million sellers. Each series last entry had critical praise.

What's more as there was about a decade of ZERO tennis games after those releases.

I can see a new VT and Power stone or PS all stars battle royale with bird view turning into popular games. Now that there is a demand for arcade games there is a chance that some of them will eventually come back

Oct 27, 2017
Splinter Cell. 7 years and counting. It makes no sense.

It does a bit- Blacklist seemingly underperformed at 2 million sales. Which is a shame.

Blacklist, aside from lacking Ironside as Sam (which we now know because Ironside was battling potentially terminal cancer) was the best the series had been imo.

I think it releasing at the tail end of last gen didn't help, and there was the fan outcry hoopla about it's initial reveal, despite it offering the most gaming freedom in the series. I hope it returns- I fed the Ghost Recon crossovers are pretty clear testing the water attempts. They've gotta be cooking something up.

At this point though I'd be perfectly content with an HD remaster of Blacklist with Ironside overdubbing the voice.

Just give me something.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
It does a bit- Blacklist seemingly underperformed at 2 million sales. Which is a shame.

Blacklist, aside from lacking Ironside as Sam (which we now know because Ironside was battling potentially terminal cancer) was the best the series had been imo.

I think it releasing at the tail end of last gen didn't help, and there was the fan outcry hoopla about it's initial reveal, despite it offering the most gaming freedom in the series. I hope it returns- I fed the Ghost Recon crossovers are pretty clear testing the water attempts. They've gotta be cooking something up.

At this point though I'd be perfectly content with an HD remaster of Blacklist with Ironside overdubbing the voice.

Just give me something.
Ùbi still hasn't fixed Pandora Tomorrow on PC; the game remains pulled from digital distribution. That tells me all I need to hear about what they think of Splinter Cell.

definedMF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
How many games/series were there like uncharted before it? Now how many platformers were there before it?
Don't think I questioned the historical importance of the block buster Sony AAA template that was established by it and much part of the PS3/360 generation, but the point isn't on what they made but on what they forgot. Look at Insomniac as a complete counter point. They took their time creating Ratchet and Clank games all throughout last and current gen while still being able to produce a large catalogue of quality gaming experiences at the same time.

Though to be clear, modern day ND should have nothing to do with a new Jak game as the true team for that is no longer present at the company.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think I questioned the historical importance of the block buster Sony AAA template that was established by it and much part of the PS3/360 generation, but the point isn't on what they made but on what they forgot. Look at Insomniac as a complete counter point. They took their time creating Ratchet and Clank games all throughout last and current gen while still being able to produce a large catalogue of quality gaming experiences at the same time.

Though to be clear, modern day ND should have nothing to do with a new Jak game as the true team for that is no longer present at the company.
A lot would argue that ratchet and clank was also borderline being run into the ground. ND was done with Jak and wanted to try something brand new. It was a big hit and became a series.

definedMF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
A lot would argue that ratchet and clank was also borderline being run into the ground. ND was done with Jak and wanted to try something brand new. It was a big hit and became a series.

People can argue whatever they like bout the state of R&C, the fact stands is Insomniac showed they can easily carry there older IPs along side other new ones.

ND was done thats true, which ND themselves didn't pussyfoot around the fact they wanted to attack the mature AAA blockbuster market hence the pursuit of the Uncharted series. Point is they made a conscious decision to let the series go and tackle other kind of games, whilst Insomniac started more IPs since the PS3 gen then ND has in their entire life time, leading Jak and Daxter a beloved series with respectable sales to be swept by the wayside.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Chrono franchise

Both Trigger and Cross are widely regarded by many as one of the best games of all time, both sold very well, and that's it, we never saw anything new from it again. There was the rumoured Break but never came to fruition.

I don't actually think Cross sold well and the reaction to it in Japan was pretty tepid at best. Hurts to say since it's my favorite RPG of all time.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
People can argue whatever they like bout the state of R&C, the fact stands is Insomniac showed they can easily carry there older IPs along side other new ones.

ND was done thats true, which ND themselves didn't pussyfoot around the fact they wanted to attack the mature AAA blockbuster market hence the pursuit of the Uncharted series. Point is they made a conscious decision to let the series go and tackle other kind of games, whilst Insomniac started more IPs since the PS3 gen then ND has in their entire life time, leading Jak and Daxter a beloved series with respectable sales to be swept by the wayside.
I mean for one, Jak and daxter definitely has a fanbase, but it also mixed. A lot of people didn't like jak 2 at all, and was just the second game, whereas RandC 2 is loved more than 1.

Alao not discounting that the uncharted games and TLOU went abive beyond stuff sucker punch really until Spiderman. They had to go all hands on deck.

definedMF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
I mean for one, Jak and daxter definitely has a fanbase, but it also mixed. A lot of people didn't like jak 2 at all, and was just the second game, whereas RandC 2 is loved more than 1.

Alao not discounting that the uncharted games and TLOU went abive beyond stuff sucker punch really until Spiderman. They had to go all hands on deck.
Critically and financially Jak 2 was far from a mixed result. The distaste for Jak II really only seems to be subject to online forums such as Era. But the point is the Jak series got a third game, a PSP spinoff and a ND developed arcade racer despite your attempts to undermine the series' success.

Sucker Punch also isn't being discussed her as they are not the developers of Spiderman, Insominac is.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
FANTASY LIFE (Level 5)

One of their best selling and received IPs - globally. Yet they refuse to develop a sequel. Let's see if AC can inject some courage into them.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Technically every Valve game and yes OP. Burnout. Sure the driving force behind that series left but EA still had the I.P. to one of the best arcade racers. But instead they wasted them on Need for Speed.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Legacy of Kain. BO2 and Defiance were a little dicey but the Soul Reaver games were aces.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
maybe the Dark Cloud / Chronicle series? Pretty sure they reviewed well, but have no idea on sales.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Bubble Bobble then Rainbow then Parasol Stars then nothing

Also a 3D Bubble Bobble could be the most fun couch co op battle game

You know a new Bubble Bobble literally came out last month, right?

www.nintendo.com

Bubble Bobble 4 Friends for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

Playing alone or with up to 3 friends in couch co-op mode, jump your bubble dragons through 100 levels to defeat the wicked magician Bonner and his henchmen.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia immediately came to mind for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love Assassin's Creed, but I miss the PoP "thing". I enjoyed Origins and Odyssey, but the more the AC games moves away from its roots and becomes a big RPG, the more I miss a more defined Prince of Persia-esque experience.

RIP Splinter Cell, so annoyed and sad it's been relegated to DLC missions in Ghost Recon. Maybe someday we'll get a real one.