• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Among other releases, in the last month or so we had a new Final Fantasy, a new Doom, a new Resident Evil, a new Animal Crossing. While two are remakes, their mainline games are still coming out regularly to this day, showing that between excellent critical reception and sales the franchises are still going very strong.

But for every behemoth like those, it's easy to forget franchises that once had it all too: selling a lot, getting rave reviews, having a dedicated fanbase. And then, they just stopped getting made. The studio didn't close. The IP didn't get lost in some acquisition. The developers didn't suddenly just change tastes. And yet, new games never arrived. Some behind the scenes decisions, a publisher changing their monetization plans, some other reasons we know nothing about. And so, some once enormous franchises are now stuck in a limbo, or have been for many years before finally coming back. What's keeping them back?

--------------

apq8-PavIYyTwihXTnu01bDdbLrJQEhkGSJhoGVItbT0AmLnka2nr7kbz92mSgolUVeejMoZA8pm7alklxMN3ZGudINnvI_CLM-VAojP9CJzsA

My main pick, until recently, was certainly Half-Life. Critically acclaimed games, one of the biggest sellers on PC, technical marvels, incredible hype. Then they never completed the Episodes trilogy for Half-Life 2, a Half-Life 3 was nowhere to be seen, and for over a decade there wasn't a single credible voice or rumor pointing to the studio even considering a new Half-Life game. While Valve certainly made a lot of money with games like DOTA2, Team Fortress 2 or CS:GO, it felt crazy that in a day when people still buy shooters for their campaign if they're great (see the new Doom games), Valve just froze Half-Life with an open story and a major cliffhanger still unresolved. This changed, recently, as Half-Life Alyx was announced and it came out, functioning as a VR prequel to the last mainline episode and seemingly leading the way for new installments in the franchise. With the ambitious fan-made remake of the first game Black Mesa also released, it's certainly the most exciting moment in the franchise in over a decade, and it should bode well for its future finally.

2092CFB07B540BA12B73322B405E97D8774DA792

As for a franchise that is still missing, I'd say Burnout. These highly destructive arcade racing games had a big following and excellent reception. While the last episode Burnout Paradise wasn't everyone's cup of tea with its new open world, it was still widely acclaimed, long supported with DLCs, and had a very active community. Hell, it was re-released this generation and it still managed to bounce to the top of UK charts. And yet, no new Burnout game was made in 12 years. While the arcade racer scene isn't as big as it once was, the sales of franchises like Forza Horizon and Need For Speed would certainly allow an ambitious new Burnout to do well. Hell, even the indie spiritual successors of Burnout are doing reasonably well for their scope and ambition. Speaking of Need For Speed, the developers were initially moved to reignite that other EA franchise, but from the start of this generation this honor was passed to Ghost Games. This could have meant Criterion went back to working to Burnout or some other project, but their only contribution to the gaming industry since then was helping with bits and pieces of Battlefield, Battlefront, and the Burnout Paradise Remaster. Since then, nothing. Will the excellent sales of Burnout Paradise Remaster finally convince EA to give this franchise another shot?

--------------

So... what's your favourite franchises that stopped getting released for seemingly no good reason? What series had excellent sales and reception alike and then still disappeared into thin air, despite there being a billion possibilities and still much fan interest in continuing?

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Freedom Fighters

Even Perfect Dark did pretty well at the 360 launch.
Came in to say this and Powerstone, Ken Levine hopefully is doing a new one at ghost story games but I doubt it :(. I'm still holding out hope Capcom will re release powerstone 2 digitally so people can get a taste.

Edit: I misread Freedom Fighters as Freedom Force. Sorry

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Every Valve series basically.

I'm a bit disappointed that the Max Payne series has died, but I'm not sure 3 sold all that well.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with burnout is vehicle licenses. Publishers are conviced that racing games with licensed vehicles will always do better than those with fake brands. The problem with real brands is that they absolutley will not allow you to show there cara getting wrecked to a pulp in a video game. Those two factors, plus ea needing a new need for speed developer means no more burnout. Paradise remastered was a bone throw to fans, nothing more.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Splinter Cell. Well it still appears in DLC for other franchises or mobile games.

Yeah, this one is particularly baffling. They've been throwing Splinter Cell content into all their other games for years, but then a new game is nowhere to be seen. I used to think years ago this was all part of a teaser of an announcement soon, but at this point they wither are developing something but they had issues, perhaps rebooted it, or they just enjoy fans' tears that much.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Eternal-Sonata.jpg

The game was fantastic. The reception was excellent, both critically and sales-wise. Never got anything else to make it a series.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My real answer is banjo-kazooie. The first two games did very well on nintendo consoles and on xbox, and even nuts and bolts did okay for a budget game. However even with those factors in mind, combined with the excitement around the brand when he was announced as a smash character, the brand remains dead. Microsoft will use them in their advertising, but they shown no interest in making a new game. Even though i think it would do quite well given how successful crash bandicoots and spyros revivals were.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
i was gonna say Ape Escape but i feel like Sony purposely put out that garbage on the PS3 to prove it had no chance at sales anymore

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
There are a few where developers wanted to focus on other things like FromSoft's biggest hit, the Dark Souls franchise. I think Jak & Daxter was pretty popular too but Naughty Dog wants to focus on other types of experiences.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i have no numbers to back up, only a vague memory of reading about it, but didnt NOLF sell respectably well on PC before getting acquired and then lost in legal limbo forever?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Actually, Burnout Paradise didn't do all that well relatively speaking. I'm pretty sure we don't see it anymore because EA thought it redundant and would rather leverage the Need for Speed brand. That's why Criterion put on that franchise instead.

ACTUALLY, WHERE THE FUCK IS TIMESPLITTERS?

it died with Free Radical. You can thank Haze for that.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Phantasy Star mainline series.
Lunar Series.

I love those two series, but there are definite reasons they disappeared. Phantasy Star IV was a pretty conclusive end to the story & they had their new spin-off series (PSO) that Sega wanted to focus on. And Lunar, there were issues between Studio Alex & GameArts, plus Grandia ended up being a spiritual successor anyway. And like Phantasy Star IV, Lunar: Eternal Blue was a solid place to end the story.

I'd love to see new installments in both series, but it makes sense why they ended when they did.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
I love those two series, but there are definite reasons they disappeared. Phantasy Star IV was a pretty conclusive end to the story & they had their new spin-off series (PSO) that Sega wanted to focus on. And Lunar, there were issues between Studio Alex & GameArts, plus Grandia ended up being a spiritual successor anyway. And like Phantasy Star IV, Lunar: Eternal Blue was a solid place to end the story.

I'd love to see new installments in both series, but it makes sense why they ended when they did.
I get the reasoning for both, however doesn't mean that both mainline series couldn't have continued on with new iterations. Both of which could have made some good $$$. Back then they were the only real competition (at least in the west) against FF.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Crimson Skies. There really aren't that many aerial combat games and the Xbox Crimson Skies was pretty fun.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chrono franchise

Both Trigger and Cross are widely regarded by many as one of the best games of all time, both sold very well, and that's it, we never saw anything new from it again. There was the rumoured Break but never came to fruition.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

Free Radical got butchered in the X360/PS3 era where a lot of independent devs were struggling to keep up with production demands and complexities of modern hardware. Haze was supposed to be their next big thing, it tanked, and EA pulled the plug on Star Wars Battlefront III that they were making. Shit was so bad they had to shut down and file for bankruptcy the same year that Haze released. And, during that period, they'd actually been working on a TimeSplitters 4 for about a year.

:( This still sucks. And I'm always going to want a sequel. Always.

Sleeping Dogs 2 was in early conceptualisation the year after Sleeping Dogs released. It was going to have dual protagonists (including Wei Shen) and a branching narrative that swapped between the two characters. You had the ability to arrest anyone with dynamic crimes and activities to participate in, and it was going to use a Demon's Souls-like world tendency passive online feature where linked in players would have their worldstates collated to influence regions on the map. EG if a lot of connected players were participating in crimes in a specific region, that region on your map would dynamically change to have higher criminal activity and gang operations. Same for the reverse, police activity.

It was canned before it hit production. United Front has said though that as good as Sleeping Dogs is, the production was a nightmare, and they lost a lot of the key programmers and engineers that helped build it after it shipped.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I think one thing people should consider is that a viable reason for a series to end/disappear is when a developer has no real ideas for them anymore.

That's pretty much what happened with Half Life. It's obvious Valve didn't really know how to push gaming forward like what they had did with Half Life and Half Life 2, so naturally they shelved the IP...that is, until they found something with VR. Hence Half-Life Alyx.

Same thing with something like Banjo-Kazooie. Gregg Mayles is the creative head of the franchise (who still works at Rare!) and he doesn't really have any interest or ideas for a new Banjo game, hence why the series still sits in limbo. Going by recent interviews with studio head Craig Duncan, Rare themselves won't do anything with their old IPs unless they have a bold new idea for them. I mean it's basically why we ended up with Nuts & Bolts: Rare tried to make a traditional platformer early in development but they just got bored with it, which is why, for better or worse, they went with the vehicle based gameplay. I know the team dev behind Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise said that they didn't have that many ideas left for the IP to warrant a third game, so again, that's why that series is dormant.

Last edited: