• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
107c6e92fb59448090b1ebcd68c00ddb_18.jpeg

The French government has launched a "massive and unprecedented" wave of measures to combat what it calls religious "extremism", Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin has said, adding that 76 mosques are suspected of "separatism".

Darmanin on Thursday tweeted his interview with RTL radio, writing: "In the coming days, checks will be carried out on these places of worship. If ever these doubts are confirmed, I will ask for their closure."

He also said 66 undocumented migrants suspected of "radicalisation" had been deported.

President Emmanuel Macron's government has responded to several deadly attacks in recent weeks with a promise to crack down on what Darmanin has said is "the enemy within".

France is home to the largest Muslim minority population in Europe, and some fear being collectively punished after a series of attacks in recent months.

France has also closed two organisations – the Muslim charity BarakaCity and a civil rights group which monitors hate crimes – the Collective Against Islamophobia in France (CCIF); both have refuted the government's accusations that they harboured "radical" links.

www.aljazeera.com

France: 76 mosques face closure, 66 migrants deported

As part of gov’t crackdown on ‘separatism’, mosques to be inspected as dozens suspected of ‘radicalisation’ deported.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Are they going to close St Eloi too as well or it's just brown people bad?

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I know that cruelty is the point, but this is such a massive blunder. You don't mitigate radicalization by increasing the kinds of oppression that radicalizes people. This is a lose-lose situation.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Well I'm sure this won't cause radicalization. Imagine how this would look if churches was replaced in the title.

Nov 18, 2020
France is waging an all-out war on their Muslim migrants. This is the result of the decades-long escalating tensions. It was bound to bubble over at some point.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Liberté, égalité, fraternité!*

* Terms and conditions may apply

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Closing the mosques is stupid. People will just go back to make the "clandestines" mosques in basements as they were doing before and any possible radicalisation will be even more difficult to notice and to track.

And as general rule of thumb, because humans are humans, the more you push them back in a corner, the more angry they get. There's no chance in hell that it will do ANYTHING of what they want to do. Apart from looking more evil that is. That, they'll succeed.

Aran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck France, racist fucks. I thought macrons party was supposed to be moderate but this coupled with the other stuff that's come out in the party cements them as far right in my mind.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
perhaps the rest of the french people can have one of their now-famous mass workers protests in support of their muslim brothers and sisters

Oct 25, 2017
Remember all the threads about France where people tried gaslighting people into thinking it isn't a horribly Islamophobic nation by spouting that egalite and laicite horseshit?

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
People will finally see the French government for who they really are. We've been saying this shit for years.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck France, racist fucks. I thought macrons party was supposed to be moderate but this coupled with the other stuff that's come out in the party cements them as far right in my mind.
This is what being a "moderate" leads to. We'll do the oppression the right wants, just a bit less of it.

Singher

Apr 10, 2018
How has humanity learned that this is never the answer. We just keep repeating the same shit over and over.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
This is a moderate party implementing moderate policies.

This is not wrong.

People forget what "moderate" means. This is not too different from what "moderate" America did a few years ago regarding terrorism, with its invasive crackdowns on muslim populations.

Or maybe the term just decayed because the extreme spectrum went fucking bonkers lately, so everybody thinks "moderate" is something more far from the center. A leftist probably thinks "moderate" means "center-left policies", and not something more to the right of center-left.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This is not wrong.

People forget what "moderate" means. This is not too different from what moderate America did a few years ago regarding terrorism.

Scratch a liberal and all that

A leftist probably thinks "moderate" means "center-left policies", and not something more to the right.

Nah I don't think the left wing is under any illusions about who moderates are gonna side with when push comes to shove

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't take the time to check BarakaCity, but from what I've seen the CCIF didn't seem to deserve that in any way shape of form.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
This is not wrong.

People forget what "moderate" means. This is not too different from what "moderate" America did a few years ago regarding terrorism, with its invasive crackdowns on muslim populations.

Or maybe the term just decayed because the extreme spectrum went fucking bonkers lately, so everybody thinks "moderate" is something more far from the center. A leftist probably thinks "moderate" means "center-left policies", and not something more to the right of center-left.

its not the left forgetting what moderates are my dude. The left knows exactly what the fuck moderates are

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
People acting like France is closing mosque randomly. I guess propaganda is working.

France is waging an all-out war on their Muslim migrants. This is the result of the decades-long escalating tensions. It was bound to bubble over at some point.
Lol i think you have no clue on what you're talking about. As i said propaganda is working.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
You'd think there would be constitutional protections against this kind of treatment there, but I guess not

Macron what are you doing

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The french are extremely effective at repressing minorities, look up what happened to occitan

Vergonha - Wikipedia

Thanks for the bit of history.

I agree with what you say, as I understand where it's coming from, but I feel like it may be a bit much by calling it all-out war at this point.

I'm not sure how informed you are about the situation that France is in and the immigration and terrorism situation, but it's multiple layers and none of it is pretty and none of it is simple.

That said, it's time for someone other than Macron to step in. I had high hopes for Macron when he first stepped into the office, but it seems that with the recent terrorist attacks he's being swayed by the right when making decisions such as this. If they were to step up security and monitor mosques and their activity, okay, not too bad, but outright closure of them at the slightest hint of separatism seems extreme, even a bit authoritative.

Also, Macron's words have done nothing but stir up shit as of recent.

Last edited:

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
So they want to prevent radicalization by oppression. Like I don't get their reasoning at all. Can someone explain this to me? How can someone think this is a good idea.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
This is how it starts, first it's removing those accused of extremism and anti-French sentiments, you know the bad hombres and then targeting the broader muslim public. Sad to see.

Oct 26, 2017
France has also closed two organisations – the Muslim charity BarakaCity and a civil rights group which monitors hate crimes – the Collective Against Islamophobia in France (CCIF); both have refuted the government's accusations that they harboured "radical" links.
What? I don't know about BarakaCity but they closed a legit hate-crime monitoring group with CCIF.