• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
In January 2002, 4Kids Entertainment, the US distributors of the Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! anime series acquired the 4-hour Saturday Morning Time Slot from the FOX Broadcasting Company. Fox, who had recently sold off its Family entertainment division to Disney, would give 4Kids full creative and financial freedom with the timeslot. 4Kids would proceed to fill the hours granted from Fox with tons of licensed Japanese anime titles, many of which have become rather infamous in the anime community for the extensive censorship and editing 4Kids would give them such as One Piece and Sonic X.

But even before 4Kids came into the picture, Fox was no stranger to airing anime on their networks. In 2000, Fox Kids Network, Fox's former children's broadcast service, launched a 2 hour Friday Afternoon block called "Anime Invasion" airing nonstop anime. Seeing the Success Kids' WB! and Cartoon Network were having with the medium, Fox Kids wanted in on the action.

Most of the anime featured on the lineup were licensed and dubbed by Saban Entertainment, the production company behind Power Rangers, and by that point a Subsidiary of Fox Family Worldwide, Inc. The entity of Fox jointly owned by Hiam Saban, that also owned Fox Kids. Escaflowne, was the sole exception, with it being licensed by Bandai. In fact, Fox Kids' short lived airing of Escaflowne was a very interesting case. While it was still the Ocean-Produced, Bandai dub, the network chopped, altered, and re-wrote the series so much that it may as well have been a different show. Fox Kids dropped the show after just 10 episodes because of that. Besides that, there was DinoZaurs, Flint the Time Detective, and the network's biggest hit at the time, Digimon: Digital Monsters.

Fox Kids wasn't alone either. Fox Family Channel, Fox's ill-faded cable-based answer to Nickelodeon, also ran a similar block called "Made In Japan" which aired many of the same shows, but also added Monster Rancher, and the 90s Mega Man series... For some reason. What's interesting about Fox's approach was that while most networks at the time would attempt to disguise the country of origin for these shows like with 4Kids, Fox Kids and Fox Family instead embraced the Japanese roots. Saban's Digimon dub kept most of the names and Japanese cultural elements, and various tidbits of Japanese culture would be sprinkled in throughout each block.

Fox Family itself was a fascinating piece of television, and things like Made in Japan showed that it had a ton of potential as a network, if only the powers that be at Fox and Saban knew how to use it.

Last edited:

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Off topic but related to the OP: when a company dubs a show, that dub belongs to the production company or the network?

Like if they wanted to give us the Fox version do they have to get the okay from Fox?

I've been thinking about this since Disney did the dubs of several Ghibli movies and those same movies are now available on HBO Max with those same dubs. Does Disney get a piece of that?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
remember that kirby show

i think king dee dee dee had a cajun accent

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Off topic but related to the OP: when a company dubs a show, that dub belongs to the production company or the network?

Like if they wanted to give us the Fox version do they have to get the okay from Fox?

I've been thinking about this since Disney did the dubs of several Ghibli movies and those same movies are now available on HBO Max with those same dubs. Does Disney get a piece of that?
From what I know, when a company licenses an anime, the show itself is still owned by the Japanese IP holder, but all the English work and production the licensee does with it is theirs to own until the license expires, at which point, all that stuff reverts back to the Rights holders in Japan.

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
fox had a whole show about food monsters. how did that get any views?
That Fighting Foodons from 4Kids, back when Fox got out of kids television and gave 4Kids the leftovers. From what I've heard, that Japanese version was actually supposed to be an ironic parody of mon shows, but 4Kids played it completely straight in the dub.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
From what I know, when a company licenses an anime, the show itself is still owned by the Japanese IP holder, but all the English work and production the licensee does with it is theirs to own until the license expires, at which point, all that stuff reverts back to the Rights holders in Japan.

OK. Thank you. The Disney thing was on my mind for a while but your OP reminded me of that.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
remember that kirby show

i think king dee dee dee had a cajun accent
Don't forget about Meta Knight.
EgLbCz3.jpg

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
That Fighting Foodons from 4Kids, back when Fox got out of kids television and gave 4Kids the leftovers. From what I've heard, that Japanese version was actually supposed to be an ironic parody of mon shows, but 4Kids played it completely straight in the dub.

This might be the first time I've heard someone reference that show in years. I just remember being utterly baffled watching that as a kid, but genuinely curious about the food.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Oh right, the Escaflowne dub that tried to rework Van as the central protagonist because girls are icky.

And yet it's not even the worst attempt at that (hi CardCaptors)

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely see this being true

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Off topic but related to the OP: when a company dubs a show, that dub belongs to the production company or the network
It's the production company. They usually license the show from Japan, then do a dub in a different language.

Then a television network can license that dubbed version from the production company.

In the US, Disney got the licenses to do a lot of the Ghibli movies.

However, HBO then go the license from Disney to exclusively "air" those on its networks/app.

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Oh right, the Escaflowne dub that tried to rework Van as the central protagonist because girls are icky.

The biggest irony is that even after all the butchering Fox Kids did to Escaflowne, it was still nothing compared to how 4Kids treated some their shows.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017

Damn, I didn't realize they tried that with Escaflowne. Not surpirsed, but still disappointing.

I didn't watch all of "CardCaptors", but it was pretty obvious as a kid that Sakura was the main character even with the edits. Like what was even the point of trying to reframe it?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Damn, I didn't realize they tried that with Escaflowne. Not surpirsed, but still disappointing.

I didn't watch all of "CardCaptors", but it was pretty obvious as a kid that Sakura was the main character even with the edits. Like what was even the point of trying to reframe it?

I personally think they wanted to get rid of the foreign name (this IS the show that had a dub starring Sakura Avalon and Madison Taylor instead of Sakura Kinomoto and Tomoyo Daidouji....oof), and yeah try to sell it to a general market than whatever the opening might imply...
tumblr_mq06h1YNo41sn32ono1_500.gif

Same for Escalfowne in some ways.... TBH I don't really blame that shift, the show's fighting scenes were way more enticing than the off-world romance ended up being (Vaan's a giant jerk lol).

rpps2mV.gif

Also, as lovely as the jpop is, there is nooo waay an early 2000s western TV station would have kept this opening even if they dubbed it (no slight against it...it just....i dunno, wasn't the "style" of stuff we see here, sadly, edgy was in and, as mentioned, the girly angle was icky). Everything was bad techno-rap and butt rock. :S