• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Those are actually some exciting additions to the SNES lineup.
I already own the missing big First Party Nintendo games (DKC, Mario RPG, etc) on three other platforms anyway.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Just bring Panel de Pon as is you cowards.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
That weird top-down shooter looks sorta cool.

They really put out some gems that I've never heard of. If you haven't already, please play Eliminator Boat Duel on the NES Online app. It's absolutely incredible.

I grew up with the NES and I've never heard of this game, and it's easily as good as if not better than RC Pro-Am. Please, please try it.

tqpUHdOOmF0nc1ErHAj-C2w0Qow18Z67grz_JKYiWjOx2xLdkwzU9If-14jurd9eWUdn9GwC26bn5-na9Cw2WNJzJlDJm8nPofukgmEbGbdU42_ko6dWoJbdSfYjFygC

eljump15.png

NES_01.gif

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Three fantastic games and one I've honestly never even heard of that I might end up liking. Good update!

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
that's a good-ass group of games baby

The criticisms about not having big titles and the slow drip of content are certainly valid, but I do have to admit, I'm really liking the picks they have gone for in terms of deep cuts and hidden gems. I was talking about NES Rygar just the other day (in the Rastan thread, because my point was that I have a habit of confusing the two series)

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
Aah the definitive edition of Rygar. I remember grinding the fuck out if this game as a kid. Made it to the temple in the sky and still got my ass kicked. I beat it though

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
If I ever wanted to play DKC, I'd just get back to playing it on the SNES Classic that I spent way too much effort trying to get for how little I played it... Stuff like this is much more exciting; it'll be neat to check out Panel de Pon.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the only reference is that a simple rom hack in the title screen could say "Puzzle League Attack" and call it a day, edit any end credits and that's it. It's cool to get panel de pon but I'll miss the yoshi sprites that could be taken care of by a simple rom hack that would take just a few hours for 1 employee.
I believe the only reference is the title screen, and they could easily change the name to "Panel Attack". I really wish they would.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
That weird top-down shooter looks sorta cool.

They really put out some gems that I've never heard of. If you haven't already, please play Eliminator Boat Duel on the NES Online app. It's absolutely incredible.

I grew up with the NES and I've never heard of this game, and it's easily as good as if not better than RC Pro-Am. Please, please try it.

tqpUHdOOmF0nc1ErHAj-C2w0Qow18Z67grz_JKYiWjOx2xLdkwzU9If-14jurd9eWUdn9GwC26bn5-na9Cw2WNJzJlDJm8nPofukgmEbGbdU42_ko6dWoJbdSfYjFygC

eljump15.png

NES_01.gif

Yes! I just signed up for Nintendo Online and Eliminator Boat Challenge was a pleasant discovery for sure. I also grew up with NES, renting games every other weekend so I feel like I've seen it all, but this was completely new to me and a pretty cool game.

I personally enjoy these oddities. Playing DKC2 again would be cool and all, but I'm not stressing.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
If the only reference is that a simple rom hack in the title screen could say "Puzzle League Attack" and call it a day, edit any end credits and that's it. It's cool to get panel de pon but I'll miss the yoshi sprites that could be taken care of by a simple rom hack that would take just a few hours for 1 employee.
they also could've released the Japanese version of the Yoshi version that already exists
9tk7o.png

no Tetris here!

but Lip deserves her time in the sun

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Those are actually pretty great games to add. I'll welcome and enjoy playing them all.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they also could've released the Japanese version of the Yoshi version that already exists
9tk7o.png

no Tetris here!

but Lip deserves her time in the sun
Isn't that satellaview only? I wonder if Nintendo's drip will mean they'll ever go to their vaults and release stuff like that for the public. We've seen Nintendo now willing to release Japanese titles, Unreleased titles but of course it's taken years, no reason why Star Fox 2 and Earth Bound Origins didn't come out in the original VC. But I think if we give it another decade some of those satellaview games will be available.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
While I absolutely love the Yoshi theming of "Tetris Attack", and would still love to have that playable despite whatever red tape prevents it from happening, truly delighted to have Panel de Pon in its place. It may not have the same charm and nostalgia, but it will at least be a new experience for me.

So excited! This will certainly be the game that drags me away from Animal Crossing

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
the license holders of Tetris probably don't want their name on a product that's not actually Tetris.

This.

The Tetris Company is extremely restrictive now over what games can be called "Tetris" or have "Tetris" as part of their name. The Tetris Guideline must be followed, which is super specific, going as far as telling you which colors each piece has to be...and that those pieces are not called "pieces," they're "Tetrominoes."

There is no way anyone would be able to release Tetris Attack, Tetrisphere, or Tetris The Grand Master as-is in modern times.

Another 3 months of waiting until I get games I want, this is torture

Even if you somehow don't like Panel de Pon (you monster!), you know there are a ton of other platforms, right? Good excuse to hit your backlog on XB1, PS4, Steam, Switch...TurboGrafx-16 mini...

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Tetris Attack got casualized for the West, Panel de Pon is faster and the campaign is harder.
I trained really hard like 10 years ago to be good as this game, and it feels really nice being able to make 4/5+ combo everytime, especially like I said, Panel de Pon is very fast.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Like I said on the other thread, it will be awesome to play Wild Guns with online multiplayer.

As much as I enjoy the remaster:

wild-guns-reloaded-555163.6.jpg

It doesn't have online MP, so I'll actually enjoy the original SNES version more.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Online multiplayer motherfuckin TETRIS ATTACK?

See yall online you bum ass bums, I'ma be flipping panels all damn day <3

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
Finally a recognition by Nintendo of panel de pon in the west
I've waited for this for so long!

20+ years in fact.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Putting Rygar at the end of the video really highlighted how hideous it is!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, should be ashamed to play an easy level in front of your friends
I laughed, but this does bother me because Tetris Attack was the first game I ever owned so this series has been a staple for me growing up. I've been down for every skin change except the original.

I'll still play this of course, but Lip is not a design I want to look at for more than 30 seconds.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
That is an okay lineup for me, not a "Tetris" game type of person so that Panel De Pon or whatever is useless to me but the other 3 are good. Wild Guns I remember liking quite a bit back in the day actually.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to add to the Panel de Pon love.

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I've played over 500 hours of Panel de Pon with friends, so awesome to have it at our parties from now on.

Never beats Rygar in the early 90s playing the game, got to the last boss too! Gotta fix that next week.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Tetris Attack got casualized for the West, Panel de Pon is faster and the campaign is harder.

Supposedly Tetris Attack is harder than Panel De Pon at the highest difficulty. Basically, in the time it took Intelligent Systems to add Yoshi and bring the game to the West, they enhanced the AI dramatically, and so the AI in Tetris Attack will set up and perform some crazy long combos in comparison to the original Panel De Pon.

If you play the secret hardest difficulty in each game's campaign, the difference is incredibly clear. But that said, that's only on the secret Hardest difficulty, I never saw if they decided to make the other difficulty levels easier or not.

That said, I kinda prefer Panel De Pon's AI, though it is probably just because I'm used to it over Tetris Attack nowadays. It has the better music, anyways.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I trained really hard like 10 years ago to be good as this game, and it feels really nice being able to make 4/5+ combo everytime, especially like I said, Panel de Pon is very fast.
I've played Tetris Attack for over a decade, and just now watched videos of Panel De Pons hardest difficulty and if anything it appeared to be easier.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
this is nice,

have they been releasing every other month lately? Did we get any in April? Normally I would assume we would get a shadow drop classic or two next month (via an E3 direct) but with no E3...

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I like PDP but I also never understood why Nintendo never threw a new titlescreen on Tetris Attack before so it could get VC releases. I guess they were happy just having PPL/PPC?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
When I saw this thread yesterday, I was so hyped about panel de Pon, I went to play it immediately, somehow completely missing the May 20 part.

We need some Planet Puzzle League Switch.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
this is nice,

have they been releasing every other month lately? Did we get any in April? Normally I would assume we would get a shadow drop classic or two next month (via an E3 direct) but with no E3...

It's been irregular, generally every 2 or 3 months (which, to be fair, is what they said it would be like back last September).

Japan did get an update in April but it was just some SP versions of Fire Emblem 1, which I believe was alongside an FE anniversary. Nothing for the west until now.