• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I just gotta say to people who haven't seen Answer the Call (GB'16) yet, or even if you have but haven't seen the extended cut, you gotta watch the extended cut. The additional 15 minutes they cut out don't make the movie perfect but they help a fucking ton, entire characters, plot points, and story lines were cut out to meet Sony's run time and the EC fixes a lot of that. There's also a few alternate takes for jokes and things that feel like they land better than the theatrical cut, too. Like halfway through the movie, the main character (Erin) just... disappears and the next time we see her she's sitting on her bed at home and there's no explanation for it. Well, in the extended cut there is, because there's an entire storyline about it that's not in the theatrical version.

Holy shit seriously? I did not realize that.

Yeah...I would have liked to see that too.
Yeah it got fucked with big time. What I've heard/read over the years is: Sony was obviously freaked out by the insane backlash so they kept trying to push the call backs and cameos and things to the originals (which Feig did not want, he wanted to do an entirely stand-alone movie that focused on how the world would react to learning ghosts are real/there's an afterlife), and McCarthy is apparently a HUGE fan of The Real Ghostbusters and they fought on the set about making the tone more light hearted so she could watch it with her kids. The sequence at the end where her and Erin's hair turns white has *zero* explanation or context given to it, but it's a really obscure reference to a RBG episode, and the payoff is that when they dye their hair at the end, their colors more closely match those of the cartoon characters. But before the movie came out there were interviews with Feig about how he wanted it to be legitimately frightening because it helps elevate the comedy and makes you care for the characters more, he didn't want the Ecto-1 or Firehouse to be in it, he didn't want Slimer, he wanted to have sleek Apple-like Proton Packs, just a very very different movie than what we got.

IDW's Ghostbusters comics, much like their TMNT comics, are the best interpretation of their respective IPs in my opinion. The IDW Ghostbusters have even had crossover events with every other version of the Ghostbusters you can think of and it's fantastic.

IDW's Metal Gear Solid comics are also amazing and I'm sad they never covered Snake Eater.
Yep, this too. I try to champion the IDW comics in every Ghostbusters thread that pops up but they are SO good. The people who write them IMO truly get Ghostbusters and they feel like they're just a natural part of the universe set up in the movies and game - and they treat the movies and game as canon too. There are some really fucking good stories they did, which I mentioned earlier like the Russian myth about catching Death in a bag and keeping him prisoner, and the competing Ghostbusters team who steal the blueprints to the Proton Packs, that would make suuuuuuuch good movies. Those two stories actually tie together and the climax has like 16 different Ghostbusters fighting together to stop the threat, it's fucking awesome and anyone who's even a little bit of a fan of the franchise should read them.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The way men online treated the Ghostbusters 2016 movie completely ruined my interest in future films. It was vitriolic in the least. Yeah, it's not a good movie but all the misogyny was way over the top. I loved the Holtzmann character and I'm sad we may never see her again.
Ya, this movie just feels like the rabid complainers getting their way to me. That, and I've got the impression the original crew are just gonna be in a supporting role in this.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
As a big fan of the original(s), the 2016 one was crap, and I didn't even follow it online or follow the backlash. The initial trailers were just bad.
But I also cant stand slapstick style comedy. If this one more closely aligns with the theme/feel of the originals, I am already more interested.

InsanezX2

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting to take the setting out of the city. That is not something that would have occurred to me to do.

I'm looking forward to seeing the trailer.
Same, but I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the movie or in a post credits scene we see news of something going on in NYC to set up a sequel there.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
My head cannon is that they just toned it all down after the events of GB2 since they were back in business and reverted the logo's on everything to keep it classy.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
My head cannon is that they just toned it all down after the events of GB2 since they were back in business and reverted the logo's on everything to keep it classy.
That's my head canon as well, all that extra shit was them advertising they were back in business. Presumably they stayed in business for a least a little while after the events of 2 and into The Video Game, so they didn't need it anymore.

I have zero expectation for them to reference the video game in Afterlife despite them all saying it counts as the third movie and is canon, but there were multiple Ectomobiles in it too, so they could say Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A are two different vehicles now. I feel like there's a mission where you're on top of a Hummer-esque Ectomobile fighting ghosts right? Man I really need to replay that game, I picked it up for Switch when it came out a while back but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Oct 27, 2017
All those people celebrating the Ghostbusters and chanting... and it's become a myth? That part is weird to me. But I'm trying to think of something that happened in real life around then that was forgotten... but can't compare it because nothing was quite as.... supernatural!

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention that the 'mood slime' in GBII originated from Shandor Island in the game.
Ah yep! Yeah I've always enjoyed Ghostbusters II so while I get why some don't like it, I'm glad that they're keeping it canon and continue to reference it.

I just spent some time reading the Afterlife page on the Ghostbusters Wiki and to whoever it was that was worried they were gonna use a CG Ecto-1, they absolutely are not. They have 2 hearses for the movie, one for driving and stunt shots, and one they cut in half (!!!) for interior shots. So while there may be shots with a CGI car like any movie might have, they're still using an actual physical Ecto-1.

Edit:

On November 7, 2019, Dan Aykroyd confirmed he filmed with Bill Murray, Sigourney Weaver, and Annie Potts. He also commented the story would be thought provoking, heart felt, and you will feel it if you lost loved ones and miss them. In terms of paying tribute to Harold Ramis, he confirmed he will be recognized in some way in the movie.

Ah fuck ;__;

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely can't wait! 2016 film had its moment, but was mostly trash. So I'm all in for this!

Oct 26, 2017
Ironic how Stranger Things paid homage to Ghostbusters and now the new Ghostbusters is being compared to Stranger Things.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
A rural Ghostbusters doesn't work for me.

I really love the city factor in the originals. In fact, I thought it was crucial.

I'll see it, though. Rudd makes fun movies.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really cool shot.

ghostbusters-first-look-4.jpg

This is a really cool idea to make the story fresh-setting it in a rural area and making it a different look from the city based adventures in the first 3 movies.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Afterlife has so much going for it. Top shelf director and very talented cast. Loving a lot of those tidbits from the article. The rural angle is unexpected so I really hope it works. Trailer better deliver!

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
I won't lie, I'm cautiously optimistic about this - definitely seems like the movie Sony would have made in 2016 if they'd seen The Force Awakens before greenlighting Feig's version.

I tried so hard to like the 2016 movie, but it just isn't good. I get why people single out Kate McKinnon for praise but that character exceeded my kookiness tolerance levels. I actually kind of liked Leslie Jones in it - her line about Melissa McCarthy having low blood sugar when she's possessed and starts smashing up their equipment really made me chuckle.

On the other hand, I thought Chris Hemsworth was awful - a character so stupid you worry that he's genuinely mentally handicapped.

Unfortunately I've read on social media some people saying that, no matter how it turns out, they're going to shit on the new movie as "revenge" for how the last one was treated.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yep! Yeah I've always enjoyed Ghostbusters II so while I get why some don't like it, I'm glad that they're keeping it canon and continue to reference it.

I just spent some time reading the Afterlife page on the Ghostbusters Wiki and to whoever it was that was worried they were gonna use a CG Ecto-1, they absolutely are not. They have 2 hearses for the movie, one for driving and stunt shots, and one they cut in half (!!!) for interior shots. So while there may be shots with a CGI car like any movie might have, they're still using an actual physical Ecto-1.

Edit:

On November 7, 2019, Dan Aykroyd confirmed he filmed with Bill Murray, Sigourney Weaver, and Annie Potts. He also commented the story would be thought provoking, heart felt, and you will feel it if you lost loved ones and miss them. In terms of paying tribute to Harold Ramis, he confirmed he will be recognized in some way in the movie.

Ah fuck ;__;
Oh man!! Reading that gave me chills, and teary eyes.

Jul 18, 2018
I can't tell from the set picture, but is that the kid from Stranger Things? If so, this downgrades it from a theater to digital watch for me

Oct 25, 2017
I love GB1 and love GB2 even more but honestly not sure about this one though :/

I'll just wait for the trailer like everyone else and hope for the best.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I expect it will be pretty good for the first two acts and then fall apart in the third due to shoehorned big battle scenes

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Who wants to guess the odds that "Sabatoge" is played during that "Ecto-1 driving in a field" sequence?