• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
ELH6UWeWkAEZKWM
Bloody Corypheus at it again!

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they take out a 2nd or 3rd mortgage on it in Ghostbusters, to start the company?
Yeah but I can't remember if he specifies that it's a farm, I think he just says something like "I grew up in that house". Clearly it's time for me to rewatch it since I don't have it memorized anymore ;p

It's a farm in the cartoon, though. But the cartoon isn't canon to the movies because the movies exist in the world of the cartoon and are based on the exploits of the cartoon GBs @w@

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but I can't remember if he specifies that it's a farm, I think he just says something like "I grew up in that house". Clearly it's time for me to rewatch it since I don't have it memorized anymore ;p

It's a farm in the cartoon, though. But the cartoon isn't canon to the movies because the movies exist in the world of the cartoon and are based on the exploits of the cartoon GBs @w@
Yeah, I don't remember a mention of a farm. I don't think it's Rey's.

Oct 27, 2017

It seems like it would be Egon's family, based on the premise of their grandfather's hidden secrets or whatnot. Since Harold Ramis has passed, that seems like the most practical character to hang the legacy idea off of, then maybe reassemble the old gang.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
A trailer for the July 10 film will debut on Monday, and Vanity Fair got an exclusive glimpse of the new characters at the heart of the story, with The Leftovers' Carrie Coon starring as mom Callie, I, Tonya's Mckenna Grace as her science-obsessed daughter Phoebe, and Stranger Things' Finn Wolfhard as gearhead son Trevor. They have left everything they know and moved to a small town in Oklahoma after inheriting property from the father she didn't know.

"As the family arrives at an old farm, they begin to discover their connection to the original Ghostbusters," Reitman said. "Trevor and Phoebe are about to find out who their grandfather was and whether they're ready to pick up the proton pack themselves."

It's very obvious it's
Egon
. Ray is still alive in the movie. Not to mention they look exactly like you'd expect.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all in for this movie, but I hope that if there's a sequel, it comes back to new york.

New york was one of the reasons why these movies worked.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't look like Ghostbusters at all, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. At this point it's probably best to move away from New York and such and do some new things. The talent is there for sure, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly making it a horror movie would be a bold choice

One of the more interesting things when comparing the original GB to the remake is that the original went to some genuinely creepy and disturbing places, specifically with the Terror Dogs, Dana's possession, and Gozer. It was a comedy but genuine elements of horror were in place and at times could be unsettling, like that conversation Ray and Winston have while driving over the bridge. (The dead rising from the grave)

I liked GB 2016 but tonally it has none of that. It's slapstick and goofiness throughout; the supernatural stuff is all very bombastic and silly.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to admit, seeing the Ecto-1 in some field in the middle of nowhere and not in some junkyard in Manhattan or something like that actually really bothers me.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That poster shot is entirely CG, isn't it? It looks too fake/blurry.. maybe it's the lens flare/bloom. Couldn't they drive a real car in a real field? The stills look promising.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Why should it end up in a junkyard? Personally, I don't see the original GB gang doing that.
Presumably this movie is taking place some decades after the original movies. Wouldn't be farfetched to think it's be junked somewhere and possibly found. Given that it seems the movie doesn't even take place in NYC, is what it is. Still really bothers me but growing up in NY/loving Ghostbusters I'm super attached to the pairing.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like it would be Egon's family, based on the premise of their grandfather's hidden secrets or whatnot. Since Harold Ramis has passed, that seems like the most practical character to hang the legacy idea off of, then maybe reassemble the old gang.
Yeah I'd think it would have to be a new character if it's not Egon, none of the other three fit very well and the granddaughter is obsessed with science sooo

What's curious to me is how old Carrie's character is, but she doesn't know anything of her father's exploits.
Assuming her father is Egon, it's possible that he 1. specifically hid it from her, and based on the article 2. died before she ever got to know him. He could have passed when she was a baby or very young, or he could have died more recently but went out of his way to keep himself and his past from her. Again, the public in Ghostbuster movies have memories like goldfish.

One of the more interesting things when comparing the original GB to the remake is that the original went to some genuinely creepy and disturbing places, specifically with the Terror Dogs, Dana's possession, and Gozer. It was a comedy but genuine elements of horror were in place and at times could be unsettling, like that conversation Ray and Winston have while driving over the bridge. (The dead rising from the grave)

I liked GB 2016 but tonally it has none of that. It's slapstick and goofiness throughout; the supernatural stuff is all very bombastic and silly.
To his credit, Paul Feig very openly wanted to make Answer the Call much more horror based, but Sony and McCarthy fought him tooth and nail on it.

His original idea for the reboot was VERY different than what we got. He didn't want the Ecto-1, Slimer, the Firehouse, etc, he wanted the Proton Packs to be more sleek and modern looking, and he wanted it to be actually legit scary. I like AtC but I would have really liked to see his original idea.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To his credit, Paul Feig very openly wanted to make Answer the Call much more horror based, but Sony and McCarthy fought him tooth and nail on it.

His original idea for the reboot was VERY different than what we got. He didn't want the Ecto-1, Slimer, the Firehouse, etc, he wanted the Proton Packs to be more sleek and modern looking, and he wanted it to be actually legit scary. I like AtC but I would have really liked to see his original idea.

Holy shit seriously? I did not realize that.

Yeah...I would have liked to see that too.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The way men online treated the Ghostbusters 2016 movie completely ruined my interest in future films. It was vitriolic in the least. Yeah, it's not a good movie but all the misogyny was way over the top. I loved the Holtzmann character and I'm sad we may never see her again.

Im curious about this movie but it's giving me a really bad taste in my mouth exactly for this reason.

That poster shot is entirely CG, isn't it? It looks too fake/blurry.. maybe it's the lens flare/bloom. Couldn't they drive a real car in a real field? The stills look promising.

I find a lot of movie posters feature a shit load of film grain to hide some dubious photoshopping.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Presumably this movie is taking place some decades after the original movies. Wouldn't be farfetched to think it's be junked somewhere and possibly found. Given that it seems the movie doesn't even take place in NYC, is what it is. Still really bothers me but growing up in NY/loving Ghostbusters I'm super attached to the pairing.

But given the setup is (probably) Egon's farm being inherited by his family, I certainly think it being in his barn makes more sense than it being junked by him or the gang.

I get the NYC thing though; GB is very much a NY story.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
This looks amazing. Can't be worse than the last one. Actresses deserved better. Feig can do better. I loved all his other movies

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
The way men online treated the Ghostbusters 2016 movie completely ruined my interest in future films. It was vitriolic in the least. Yeah, it's not a good movie but all the misogyny was way over the top. I loved the Holtzmann character and I'm sad we may never see her again.
While that's not entirely unfair, the fact that it was a pretty mediocre film has just as much to do with you not seeing Holtzmann again as men being pissed. And furthermore, cross-dimensional rips happen. You never know who could step through.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
IDW's Ghostbusters comics, much like their TMNT comics, are the best interpretation of their respective IPs in my opinion. The IDW Ghostbusters have even had crossover events with every other version of the Ghostbusters you can think of and it's fantastic.

IDW's Metal Gear Solid comics are also amazing and I'm sad they never covered Snake Eater.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I agree it was an incredible shit show but that really has nothing to do with this film.

The Internet is crawling with Alt-Right Incel bullshit; just look at the vulgarity hurled at the characters of Rey and Rose in the Star Wars films.

And GB 2016 (which I liked quite a bit) flopped hard at the box office. Regardless of whether or not this film got made, a sequel to that movie was never going to happen.

At least with this film they seem to be putting a female character front and center. As I understand it, she's essentially the lead.

Oh, and I agree with you: Holtzmann was awesome. :)

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Definetly has a certain old film look to it that I like, feels more in line with the other films.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Dang are they headed to the Farm from the animated series episode? That was a scary ass episode that and the boogy man.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Love the poster.

I really hope they can pull this off and make another good GB movie. Hell if the cast and movie is good, I'd be up for more of them, with the younger cast taking over as the lead Ghostbusters, kinda like a live action Extreme Ghostbusters.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Did Ivan Reitman get a producer credit for Ghostbusters 2016?

Edit: Yes, so Ivan Reitman producing means nothing. Cautiously optimistic, though.

Ivan Reitman runs the Ghost Corps label I think... so technically he should have a ton of input, but I think he stepped back and let Paul Feig do his own thing with his movie.

I see more reason for him to be involved with this project because Jason Reitman is more passionate about it and will leverage Reitman and Aykroyd in a consultant capacity in regards to the story.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Ditto.
It was embarrassing. As a Ghostbusters fan and a Star Wars fan, I have to say I've been completely disgusted by the overt toxicity, misogyny, and racism I see from some members of the fanbase. It's definitely soured me some on the IPs as a whole.

I really enjoyed GB 2016, primarily the chemistry of the cast, and the fact that I'll watch anything Kate McKinnon is in because she's amazing. The movie wasn't fantastic, but I thought it was funny and entertaining. It was different from the OG films, but I don't hold the originals to some untouchable standard that will be impossible to reproduce.

I fondly remember the hype and excitement for the release of GB2 when I was 9-10 years old, and it's simply not possible for that magic feeling of seeing those films for the first time, so I don't ever expect these sequels/reboots to iconic franchises to "make me feel like a kid again." It really is an impossible standard to meet. GB2016 was flawed and fun. I personally know more people from my friend circle and coworkers that really liked it over hating it to the level that I was seeing online.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting to take the setting out of the city. That is not something that would have occurred to me to do.

I'm looking forward to seeing the trailer.