• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Valve actually gave a shit and shipped this or Valve Index for what matters to LATAM and other developing nations, then it would be a fair competition.

As it stands now, with it being heavily supply limited and having no official worldwide shipping, this is just a really niche product with no mainstream appeal.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Devs are already considering it, so even if the device dies, I think the value of the portable-yet-AAA game experience has been solidified by the coexistence of Switch and Steam Deck.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yeah

Yeah, it seems great and I hope to get one one day, but what other company has both the resources and the inclination to copy them?

Microsoft could make a Gamepass handheld. Sony could make a handheld that plays PS4 games. Other than that, nobody.

Somebody like Razer or Dell could make a PC handheld, but they don't have the ecosystem, so subsidizing wouldn't work. They would be stuck with much higher prices, just like the existing boutique PC handheld companies.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Impact of these things takes place over a few years. But the deck seems like a nice piece of kit, albeit for a subset of fans for now.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's early but you can already see the impact on its direct competitors like Aya Neo. They've announced so many new models and even price points to try and remain competitive.

But for the larger industry it's far too soon.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I think the trickle of shipments from lack of stock is keeping it from having any major impact at all.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
What impact could a severely supply constrained portable version of existing tech that sells almost exclusively to core gamers who already have said tech, have on the industry?

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Not the industry yet because I believe it will. For me, I've changes my habit. I used to wait on GamePass but I don't anymore because I love the luxury of booting it up anywhere. Also, I don't care for EGS stuff anymore because of the Deck. It literally killed EGS for me and I can see the store struggling much more once these things are readily available.

AshGambit

Sep 4, 2019
The deck is cool but it is definitely a niche product. It isn't something that I feel will change the industry in any discernible way.

It's not user friendly and the average user isn't going to put up with its quirks and trial and error.

That can change in the future, obviously, but all these handheld PCs are niche devices.

Anyway, I sold my Steam Deck on after only using it two or three times since getting it. I think it's an amazing piece of tech, I just don't need portability. If I have time to game then I'm in my office with my gaming PC anyway so seemed silly to fire something up on there. I have a toddler so when I'm outside I'm making sure the kid isn't running into roads or lick stones, the hardest game of all.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Maybe the very first teeny tiny baby steps towards decoupling PC gaming as a whole from Windows.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
It's a niche handheld, I think there's only so much impact it'll have on the wider industry. Stuff like FF7R marketing itself as "ready for Deck" or whatever on launch.

Jun 10, 2018
All handhelds are walking in the shadows of the G&W and OGGB. You won't see much of an impact from the Steamdeck being released because the largest paradigm shift caused by handhelds happened decades ago.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Was it supposed to? If so, what kind of impact? It's just another way to play PC games (a way that already existed albeit from even more niche products).

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As amazing as I think the Steam Deck is, I never really expected it to have much of an impact in the short term.

Hell, it's a solid proof of concept to me - and of a concept that only Valve can currently deliver on, at that. Well, several concepts rolled into a tight and continuously evolving device.

So yeah. No. It hasn't had an impact. As has been stated in this thread, it's also only been four months and the device is harder to get than a PS5 DE so yeah

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
The answer is pretty obvious, even if early adopters don't want to hear it. None of these things will ever be adopted by Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo. Steam Deck will have essentially no impact on anyone who doesn't own one.
Your assessment is entirely incorrect. Microsoft has been advertising their games as being "Steam Deck" ready. Square Enix did the same for FF7R on their live stream. Sony is new to PC but they have embraced Steam so Deck specific announcements (Verified status) are not far off. I wouldn't call that "no impact".

Oct 25, 2017
It's changed gaming for me and I don't even have mine yet. Unless it runs on Deck, I won't be buying it on PC (ie even more Steam lock in) and it'll move me to buy even less on Xbox and PS5 too.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Your assessment is entirely incorrect. Microsoft has been advertising their games as being "Steam Deck" ready. Square Enix did the same for FF7R on their live stream. Sony is new to PC but they have embraced Steam so Deck specific announcements (Verified status) are not far off. I wouldn't call that "no impact".

Shuhei Yoshida has been tweeting pics of Sony games running on Deck from the jump.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
A gaming oriented handheld is never going to make an impact anymore. This is just another entry point to PC gaming.

lone_stranger

Aug 24, 2018
Not enough units to have a significant industry wide impact. It made me realize I'm interested in portable PC gaming, but have no patience for Linux/Proton compatibility issues. Just give me a device with that form factor, a bit more power, and Windows so it can run everything without extra effort or research.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
Unless it goes retail and has a far reach, I don't see it making an impact at all. Here's where it differs from the Switch.

Imagine if Nintendo decided to only sell the Switch in Japan/Asia....

Oct 30, 2017
the only impact it could ever have would be convincing a bunch of laptop makers to make similar devices. that's going to happen but it'll take a minute.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
All these things are hobbled by their battery and I don't think much of anything will be able to fulfill power, battery life, and portability until that advancement exists.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
It's made the Steam Deck itself popular, but I don't think it's fundamentally changed the gaming industry any, really.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Well I can tell you it did have an impact on me, since I'm not starting any single player game on my PC so I can enjoy it on the deck (when commuting/in bed) when it arrives after Q3 :)
An impact without even having it yet, lol.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
It is too late OP. You should've been there in early 2022 when steam deck was released. It was amazing. It was a different time and place. You can't recreate it.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
It's a giant handheld.

a really really powerful tablet with attached controllers. I'm not trying to downplay how powerful it is.

if it were more portable, it would impress me honestly. But for now I'd still rather get a gaming laptop that can fit in a backpack.

edit- but when you take the price into consideration, it is indeed impressive.
I see where you are coming from but I think the size is perfect as it allows it to be held comfortably for hours on end with a full proper control system.

I absolutely adore mines and it still amazes me how good the performance is in a ton of games. Its easily the most console friendly that a PC device has ever been while still allowing the tinkering ability if you so require.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know it could have an impact even at a year with how purchasing it is lol. If people could go into a store, or place an order and receive it in a week, then maybe something could be seen. But as it is, we're not even talking sell-outs like the new consoles, we're talking you straight up can't get one without a wait.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
I think the impact currently is minimized due to the supply constraints, but the extreme amount of positive reviews from people who have one plus the high demand shows that there is big value in the space. Additionally, the Steam Deck has proven that portable gaming PCs can be extremely reliable, very performant and hit a reasonable price point.

The Steam Deck isn't a gaming laptop, which tend to be exceedingly overpriced, poorly cooled and generally a poor way to play a lot of games. Additionally the fact that it's a standardized piece of hardware with set specs means you can do certain optimizations that you could never do on a laptop or other systems.

That's before you get into the huge advancements in Proton. I can run games from the mid-90s on the Deck with minimal tweaking and it just works. I can play all kinds of weird indie titles without native Linux ports and they work flawlessly.

beins

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the world can't even buy one and has no roadmap as to when they will be available.

Ry.

Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
Not sure what kind of impact is expected with so few units available.

I can say however that getting a steam deck and being able to cloud stream games with Nvidia and gamepass offerings on my Mac is keeping me from buying a new gaming rig.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll let you know when my thirsty ass stops checking my email inbox and actually gets one that has been pre-ordered and budgeted for.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know it could have an impact even at a year with how purchasing it is lol. If people could go into a store, or place an order and receive it in a week, then maybe something could be seen. But as it is, we're not even talking sell-outs like the new consoles, we're talking you straight up can't get one without a wait.
Something doesn't have to be immediately available to have impact or a complete paradigm shift. Like the original Oculus Rift DK1 was released to a small set of kickstarter backers but the existence and the then proven viability of VR proved that VR could actually exist. That was the impetus for the VR wave that we still see today.

Similarly, the existence of the Steam Deck alone has caused some massive waves for the Linux gaming community as Proton has quickly evolved.

Lukish

May 30, 2022
NI
Will likely see more people getting theyr games verified for it too. Being namedropped on ff stream was big deal, hopefully also valve helps out more devs with getting theyr games deck ready

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's never going to be available like that, but almost nothing is these days. Even Apple is backordered on a ton of products.

I'm sure that's soul crushing news for some.
You're right though: it's unlikely the deck will reach that normalized level of market saturation if our shortage economy endures.

I'd say the biggest long term goal from Valve is to make devs test against proton thus lowering barriers for linux adoption. And you don't need THAT many decks to cause this effect due to the base compatibility of proton being already pretty incredible, and the Deck audience being self-selecting toward power users that are also gaming enthusiasts (and big spenders). Anti-cheat seems to be the biggest obstacle left for an universal gaming-on-linux deal, so if in 2-3 years we'll see the end of the windows-binding anti-cheat then the deck has succeeded, regardless of sales.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Seeing Square-Enix promote FF7R on it shows that people are paying attention to it.
In a few years that growth could be impressive.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do think it had a positive impact on Linux/Proton development, but other than that, I mean, the only people that have units are the ultra hardcore fans that preordered on minute one.
I know I'm replying way after the fact (sorry) but I just wanted to put forward that I'm someone who's got a deck, and I wouldn't call myself an ultra hardcore fan. I ordered at the end of the second day that it became available, but for me the big draw was that this was a portable pc - I don't have a desktop PC, I have an old (15 years) laptop I can play older games on, and I have a work laptop that I can do general computery bits on, but I didn't have a go-to machine for playing PC games. This has re-opened up my Steam library for me, and as someone who doesn't really have a lot of time for gaming these days (I have a two year old who takes up a lot of our time and no space to put a desktop PC in our flat) having something to pick up and play on that also serves as a PC for doing other bits and bobs, and comes at a very reasonable price, is an absolute godsend. I am all for more PCs in this format, it's really making gaming super accessible.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm replying way after the fact (sorry) but I just wanted to put forward that I'm someone who's got a deck, and I wouldn't call myself an ultra hardcore fan. I ordered at the end of the second day that it became available, but for me the big draw was that this was a portable pc - I don't have a desktop PC, I have an old (15 years) laptop I can play older games on, and I have a work laptop that I can do general computery bits on, but I didn't have a go-to machine for playing PC games. This has re-opened up my Steam library for me, and as someone who doesn't really have a lot of time for gaming these days (I have a two year old who takes up a lot of our time and no space to put a desktop PC in our flat) having something to pick up and play on that also serves as a PC for doing other bits and bobs, and comes at a very reasonable price, is an absolute godsend. I am all for more PCs in this format, it's really making gaming super accessible.
I see a lot of comments from people that haven't even touched the deck. I think once it gets into more people hands and proton gets more compatibility with more games it will be huge. I love mine and take it every were I go now. Battery life is something that can be improved, but I just bought a battery pack and it last for about 6 hour with that thing.

Jul 7, 2021
Well A TON of youtubers and even twitch streamers have been using it, creating videos about it, so it's being talked about a lot in the wider gaming sphere. That's something none of the other handheld PC's have managed.

Still waiting for mine.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Retro gaming handhelds? Absolutely. Loki and Aya Air will be the competitors next year. I have a Deck but it's so heavy and bulky I only (barely) use it at home.

SolarLune

Jun 22, 2021
I'd have to wait more, but yeah, I think it has. There's more anticheat support on Linux now, and people are marketing their games as being Steam Deck compatible, which is great. More and more games are working on the Deck as well. If it were just a niche device, I don't think it'd have as much pull as it does now, even at its current stage.

I have a Deck, and I think it's like a 9/10 console, haha. It's not perfect and there are bugs to work out, but overall, it's really good at doing what it does. If it ran Windows, it wouldn't have nearly the overall polished feel that SteamOS currently has, though if you want that you can install Windows on it (or get another handheld that ships with Windows, like an Aya or GPD one).

As for if it will have an impact, I think it definitely could over time, yeah.

As of now, no. If more people could get one and it was sold retail though, I think it would have made a huge impact by now. My Switch would be collecting dust, save the few first party games I would play on out for example. If I could get one.

😭