• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know
The production values look fucking insane, but it matches nothing of the Foundation I have in my head.

Foundation was always a bit more campy and "80's" looking in my head. Maybe unfairly

Mar 3, 2018
It looks nice and all, but does not match how I envisioned that world to look based on the books. Will still give it a fair chance when it comes out.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Are the novels worth reading now? Some classic sci-fi seems to age poorly due to poor predictions of the future or some ugly outdated ideas being woven into it (on things like race, gender, etc.), even if the overall story or setting remains interesting. I've been curious about the novels ever since seeing a fuckton of Foundation sequels (but never the original) in a used book shop, and knowing Asimov's name from other things. I'm pretty ignorant about classic sci-fi in general, beyond things that have been adapted to movies or TV.

I tried out an audio book of Foundation but found my mind would drift and I'd have to rewind because I'd end up missing some batshit detail about the setting. It didn't really work as background noise while I was doing other things, so it might be something I'd need to actually sit down and read.
The original trilogy (Foundation/Foundation and Empire/Second Foundation) hasn't aged particularly well. They're rather dry, exposition heavy books. The biggest issue with them however, and in particular the first book, is the treatment of women, poorly written and offensive. Asimov does improve to an extent with the latter two books in the trilogy. There's a decent female character in Prelude to Foundation which is one of the prequel books.

The Robot series has the same issues and one individual's characterisation in particular is just plain creepy and you start wondering what the hell Asimov was thinking. But then considering his real life mistreatment of women, it's not surprising at all.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I'm n really sure what constitutes a "hit" for Apple of if they are that concerned about about paid subscribers.
Well I'm sure they made it with some intention to promote awareness and/or profitability of their streaming platform and not just because they're Asimov fans. Given the level of spend on this show, I'm guessing they are expecting it to be a marquee title and attraction for their platform for a large audience. This isn't about awards like Netflix and The Irishman.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
From the trailer, I wonder if they're pulling elements from Forward the Foundation and maybe even Prelude to Foundation for this one.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not even going to watch the trailer, will go in blind going by everyone's reactions.

I listened to all the books during my long communites a few years ago, really enjoyed them.

Hope it's good.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Eto Demerzel is going to feature, so it's very likely that they will. I can see Lee Pace as
Daneel/Demerzel/Hummin.
That's cool — there's plenty of material from those two books to pull into this that they'd be crazy not to use some of it.

I forgot that Daneel was Demerzel. It's been so long since I've read the books that I keep thinking he was hanging out on the moon while the Empire was around.

iosefe

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Where the sun shines
Not sure what to make of that and what that entails for
Daneel.
That's cool — there's plenty of material from those two books to pull into this that they'd be crazy not to use some of it.

I forgot that Daneel was Demerzel. It's been so long since I've read the books that I keep thinking he was hanging out on the moon while the Empire was around.
I think this can work out just fine given
the fact that as time progresses, parts are replaced. And from the one scene we really have, the androgyny could work out.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Do they drop episodes of original series like these all on the same day or is it more like a weekly release?

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I think this can work out just fine given
the fact that as time progresses, parts are replaced. And from the one scene we really have, the androgyny could work out.
Indeed. And we know from Robots of Dawn and Robots and Empire that there were female humaniform robots developed by the Aurorans and Solarians. Daneel could have borrowed parts from them over the course of the years or developed them himself. Not to mention Dors Venabilli.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Not mentioned yet, but one aspect of the Foundation Saga that I love is the fact that Earth is pretty much forgotten and the stuff of myths and legends that only a few people in the Galactic Empire hold onto.

Also, seeing Trantor depicted in all its glory will be quite something.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
>co-writer of The Dark Knight and Batman Begins

is that supposed to be impressive...I'm into the visuals tho. First thing I'll be watching with my sub

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's awesome.

Also waiting on The Culture. And hopefully some day the Quantum Thief trilogy.

The original trilogy (Foundation/Foundation and Empire/Second Foundation) hasn't aged particularly well. They're rather dry, exposition heavy books. The biggest issue with them however, and in particular the first book, is the treatment of women, poorly written and offensive. Asimov does improve to an extent with the latter two books in the trilogy. There's a decent female character in Prelude to Foundation which is one of the prequel books.

The Robot series has the same issues and one individual's characterisation in particular is just plain creepy and you start wondering what the hell Asimov was thinking. But then considering his real life mistreatment of women, it's not surprising at all.

Worth it just for the end of Second Foundation though. Loved it when I first read it.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is the budget huge but it sure looks like they've copied some prominent cinematographers work. The trailer had a very BR2049/Interstellar look to it. At least one of the cinematographers worked on west world

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
6548579a1f7e73100b51dc4b29076b83.jpg

Close enough.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The "Apple is about bettering the world through technology just like Isaac Asiimov" is making me not want to watch the show. Fuck me that was cringy.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
The "Apple is about bettering the world through technology just like Isaac Asiimov" is making me not want to watch the show. Fuck me that was cringy.
The marketing spiel is to be expected. This is Apple's flagship TV show and they're expecting this to compete with Netflix and Amazon's upcoming big budget shows.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Quinn's Ideas latest Foundation story analysis. There are story spoilers if you haven't read the books.

His Dune videos are also worth checking out.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the last remaining "impossible" adaptations left in sci-fi/fantasy along with Dune.

At this rate we'll be getting Book of the New Sun by Christopher Nolan.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Never read this series, so interested at least. The content of the trailer definitely piqued my interest, even while the format was pretty tired.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
The series is very dry and not sure interesting enough for a show. The overarching ideas are interesting but they have to create characters I guess.

I think a far more interesting novel is House of Suns of by Alastair Reynolds. His writing is epic and cinematic, perfect for high budget TV.

I would also rather have a series based on Rendezvous with Rama.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
This is set to be one of the biggest shows of the year - anyone planning on making an OT? The show premieres this Friday~