• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I'm a big Asimov fan, even though most of my favorite authors are the opposite style and write slower character-driven pieces (Robin Hobb, Daniel Abraham, etc).

Asimov apparently had aphantasia (inability to visualize in your head, which I sympathize since I suck at it), so he isn't much of a visuals guy at all, and he can't really write women well either. And his prose is very...basic. Despite all this, he's one of the huge scifi guys, a big ideas guy. Dude can really chuck out a great short story especially, which is really what the core Foundation novels were, a collection of short stories.

This looks more like the Prelude to/Forward the Foundation era stuff. I hope they don't screw this up, because I love the Foundation books. I think the Robot novels would have been safer, come on guys, how hard is it to screw up a humanity-lives-in-domed-cities, hardboiled detective story were he has a robot for a partner? And you could always do Foundation later.

Personally I think End of Eternity would make a great film or series too. There's a lot of great golden age scifi stuff that could be mined for good projects, and for that reason alone I hope they don't screw this up. Foundation as a movie or a TV show has been a classic zombie project for decades.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck, apple has killed it so far. Every show I watched was one I loved.

IM SO HYPED APPLE is going into a space empire series...

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Dang sign me in.
Looks incredible i hope it lives up to the visuals because they are insane.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Does Apple do all episodes at once or weekly? Gotta figure out when I start my trial/month.

Emmz

Oct 28, 2017
Love Jared Harris. Looks like he went off the set of Chernbyl straight into playing the same role in this, which is fine by me.

Apr 11, 2020
For all you know, Jared Harris is only in the first episode?

He's credited for ten episodes on IMDB. Note though that they can include voice credits, or just appearing in the credits sequence. About half of the top cast are billed for ten episodes, while the other half are billed for varying episode counts and appearances. Usually this information is provided by, or cross-checked with production when final footage or deal memos begin to be locked in as part of the verification process, but I have known credit listings to be inaccurate before in the lead-up to screening, with some bizarre fuck-ups that definitely breach IMDB's own conditions for crediting.

Last edited:

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I know nothing about the books, but am super interested in this one. Pace & Harris alone sell me on it. But the concept itself, at least the one I get from this trailer, is super intriguing.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
From what I've seen, it's mostly an original story that just uses ideas from the books. It's as much of an adaptation of the books as the I, Robot movie was of the I, Robot book.
That's... not really enticing.

But I suppose the books don't have enough sex, guns, and explosions for the budget they've given the show

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
The trailer looks fantastic, and I have high hopes after what Apple has done with For All Mankind. Been so long since I read the Foundation books, they are very foggy in my mind, might be time for a re-read this summer.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I recognized Lee Pace at first but couldn't place him or his name. I thought it was Clive Owen until he spoke and the voice didn't match.

When I looked it up I had to laugh at how drastic a departure this is from Pushing Daisies 😂

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Hmm. On the one hand, it looks high-budget. On the other...it looks like it has absolutely nothing to do with the Foundation Trilogy, and appears to be creating a new story very loosely centered around the Foundation prequels.

That is...not what I was hoping for. But I also didn't expect them to have the guts to create a series that takes place over 1,000 years with different main characters each season.
I noticed this also. I kinda amazed when we saw Seldon in the trailer. I might give it a shot, but not what I expected.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty pumped for this. Seems like it has a lot of potential. It likely helps that I'm unfamiliar with the source material, so have fewer expectations and am less likely to be disappointed.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The budget appears to be massive. I am a little worried about the story though, being a massive fan of the Foundation series.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a huuuuuuuge Foundation fan. I've read everything, multiple times. And I mean chaining it all together with the Robot and Empire books.

I've read both Asimov autobiographies. I'm a huge huge fan.

Im down for this. Obviously this is a totally different take, not a adaptation of the books as they are. That's ok. Foundation doesn't work on screen as a direct adaptation. Changes needed to be made to bring it to the screen. The books will always be there.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've been waiting for a "the next Game of Thrones" for so long it feels...

Maybe, this???

Looks good for sure, gonna watch.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks nice, too bad its not the series proper and mostly prequel stuff.

For the uninitiated, this is a bit like announcing Game of Thrones but starting with Robert's Rebellion without confirmation that the series proper would be adapted pending success. Still, it's nice for The Expanse to see a little competition in the sci fi epic serial space and if it is successful we should see more.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a big Asimov fan, even though most of my favorite authors are the opposite style and write slower character-driven pieces (Robin Hobb, Daniel Abraham, etc).

Asimov apparently had aphantasia (inability to visualize in your head, which I sympathize since I suck at it), so he isn't much of a visuals guy at all, and he can't really write women well either. And his prose is very...basic. Despite all this, he's one of the huge scifi guys, a big ideas guy. Dude can really chuck out a great short story especially, which is really what the core Foundation novels were, a collection of short stories.

This looks more like the Prelude to/Forward the Foundation era stuff. I hope they don't screw this up, because I love the Foundation books. I think the Robot novels would have been safer, come on guys, how hard is it to screw up a humanity-lives-in-domed-cities, hardboiled detective story were he has a robot for a partner? And you could always do Foundation later.

Personally I think End of Eternity would make a great film or series too. There's a lot of great golden age scifi stuff that could be mined for good projects, and for that reason alone I hope they don't screw this up. Foundation as a movie or a TV show has been a classic zombie project for decades.
Yeah, I wonder how they gonna handle it.
Especially since the first book is really a collection of short stories, and there is a lot of time skips as a result.

It's been a while since I read them but it's all different characters from what I remember, and I don't know how you make it work on a TV series.

I guess they only gonna do mostly the first story/chapter/section (which is actually a prequel since it was publish last) but that's mostly people talking from what I remember.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
They should just change the tv series name because I bet it will be so different than the books.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Looks nice, too bad its not the series proper and mostly prequel stuff.

For the uninitiated, this is a bit like announcing Game of Thrones but starting with Robert's Rebellion without confirmation that the series proper would be adapted pending success. Still, it's nice for The Expanse to see a little competition in the sci fi epic serial space and if it is successful we should see more.

It's really a shame The Expanse moving to Amazon seems to have killed the Culture's adaptation. I still hope it sees the light of day in the future.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Do we know if all the episodes are dropping on Sep 24?
Need to time this with the PS 6 months lol