• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I don't understand why people get hyped about players numbers.It might have 15M players yeah,but how many copies did it actually sell?Probably around 8M right now.
15 million players in a game that released a little over two months ago is worthy of hype and a reflection of a brand's strength when that many people want to get in the door to play it. Also why does actual copies sold matter?

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand why people get hyped about players numbers.It might have 15M players yeah,but how many copies did it actually sell?Probably around 8M right now.
Well we don't know, but what we do know is that close to 2m people were playing it before release with the premium version which costs anywhere from £40-80 depending setup.

It's doing numbers on Steam and it was still selling well boxed on the UK numbers too.

Revenue (which is king) is not an issue with this title.

Edit: also 8m would be fantastic. Again, individual 'copies' aren't important as the revenue will be through the roof.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

Sales numbers are largely irrelevant as a measure of success when the game releases onto Game Pass, aside from whatever internal projections Microsoft have. They ideally don't want people to buy the game - they want them to sign up for Game Pass to access it. There's no way to really quantify that in the numbers aside from measuring "players".

I'm not sure why any of us would get "hyped" about players or sales. These metrics are meaningless from our end. Unless you're a shareholder, you have no reason to be hyped for the material success of billion and trillion dollar corporations.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
Well we don't know, but what we do know is that close to 2m people were playing it before release with the premium version which costs anywhere from £40-80 depending setup.

It's doing numbers on Steam and it was still selling well boxed on the UK numbers too.

Revenue (which is king) is not an issue with this title.

Edit: also 8m would be fantastic. Again, individual 'copies' aren't important as the revenue will be through the roof.

You don't know the sales or the revenue though or the amount of daily or concurrent players. The only thing we know is 15 million profiles played the game since launch.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
This doesnt make any sense,why bring gamepass in topic?
You literally have games in there that didnt even sold 500K.
Are you genuinely asking why Gamepass is relevant for one of Xbox's biggest exclusive titles that (like all other Xbox Studio Games) launches directly onto Gamepass on Day 1?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Sales numbers are largely irrelevant as a measure of success when the game releases onto Game Pass, aside from whatever internal projections Microsoft have. They ideally don't want people to buy the game - they want them to sign up for Game Pass to access it. There's no way to really quantify that in the numbers aside from measuring "players".

I'm not sure why any of us would get "hyped" about players or sales. These metrics are meaningless from our end. Unless you're a shareholder, you have no reason to be hyped for the material success of billion and trillion dollar corporations.

sales numbers are never irrelevant as a measure of success.

if MS only wanted people to sign up for Gamepass to access it, the game would be exclusive to Gamepass.

do you really think someone buying the game for $60 on the MS Store instead of subscribing to GP is disappointing to MS ? Nope, they are delighted to have a means of reaching players with differing values when it comes to access.

the reality is MS want people to sign up for Gamepass to access it AND they want people to buy it.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
sales numbers are never irrelevant as a measure of success.

if MS only wanted people to sign up for Gamepass to access it, the game would be exclusive to Gamepass.

do you really think someone buying the game for $60 on the MS Store instead of subscribing to GP is disappointing to MS ? Nope, they are delighted to have a means of reaching players with differing values when it comes to access.

the reality is MS want people to sign up for Gamepass to access it AND they want people to buy it.

I don't think someone buying their games is disappointing to them, no. I DO think they would ideally like to convert all of their traditional buying customers into Game Pass subscribers, which is why they've aggressively given away trials and deals to get people onboard. They know some percentage of people wont, and in those cases they obviously still would much rather have your $60 a pop than nothing. Likewise I think they'd much rather people bought games digitally than physically, despite still offering physical games.

And in a world where the publisher of a game is aggressively trying to turn buyers into subscribers, sales alone are an irrelevant metric for a game's success. They're a small part of the larger picture of consumer engagement with the game.

Jan 18, 2021
People keep saying that, but the thing that everyone always references is driving around Tokyo - which is an entirely different ganeplay experience.
Yeah itll make the offroad classes useless. Which is why it would be better as an expansion imho. Or if they do go to japan it wouldnt be in tokyo(i want tokyo because of the highway racing ing)

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that MS have still not released any new GP numbers after the release of Forza and Halo is interesting.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Thank the lord MS didn't release a statement like "it takes over 200 hours to do everything in this game".
Then people on here would be raging all over the place about oh my gawd the bloat!!

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
This is MS biggest brand and game at the moment. Let's see when they give Halo numbers but I think this is bigger.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You would rather be excited about the amount of copies it sold rather than how many people got to try it out?

Imagine that.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you get right down to it there's no real reason for us to care about these numbers at all. Microsoft considers it a success, the game is doing well, that's all that's really relevant for consumers. People wanting to hear things like Game Pass subscriber growth as if they have the information and context to judge if it's doing well or not has always been bizarre. Some things are worth seeking out, and some things are worth just sitting back and being glad exist.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Yeah, Squid Game was watched by 111M+ people but how many bought the blu ray?

Especially with one guy creating multiple accounts at the same time.

🤣

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think someone buying their games is disappointing to them, no. I DO think they would ideally like to convert all of their traditional buying customers into Game Pass subscribers, which is why they've aggressively given away trials and deals to get people onboard. They know some percentage of people wont, and in those cases they obviously still would much rather have your $60 a pop than nothing. Likewise I think they'd much rather people bought games digitally than physically, despite still offering physical games.

And in a world where the publisher of a game is aggressively trying to turn buyers into subscribers, sales alone are an irrelevant metric for a game's success. They're a small part of the larger picture of consumer engagement with the game.

the larger picture of consumer engagement includes sales and subscriptions.

the optimal profit potential most likely doesn't lie with all consumers being subscribers- because the number of consumers who WANT to subscribe to a service will be much smaller than the overall market and this won't change any time soon.

also the high margins offered by customer who like to buy digitally is too attractive to want to move away from. In fact, the Gamepass model of having a rcurated selection of games on the service temporarily shows that MS' ideal customer subscribes AND buys. MS Including all of their own titles on the service permanently just doesn't mean they don't care about how they sell- it means they are just willing to use their in-house titles to bait users into a subscribe+buy relationship.

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Being hyped about player count (something that can affect your enjoyment of the game specially in mp modes) makes far more sense than being hyped about sales (something that concerns the company and shareholders)

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
You don't know the sales or the revenue though or the amount of daily or concurrent players. The only thing we know is 15 million profiles played the game since launch.
Well I don't know for certain, that's right, I'm not an MS employee. That doesn't invalidate the other stuff I mentioned?

Even if we was to go the typical XGP argument of 'everyone signs up for a dollar' there's 15m dollars there.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Last edited:

Lord Bandi

Apr 30, 2020
Well I don't know for certain, that's right, I'm not an MS employee. That doesn't invalidate the other stuff I mentioned?

Even if we was to go the typical XGP argument of 'everyone signs up for a dollar' there's 15m dollars there.

I'll do you one better, there was I think 2.4 million players that paid at least 40 dollars for the early access pass that's a minimum of 96 million dollars.

PeaceSeeker

Chicken Chaser
Apr 17, 2018
I'd actually prefer a country with more biome diversity.

Japan has enough diversity to amuse you

00000103_1.jpg
enoshima-12.jpg
TopImage.jpg

9-2.jpg

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
  1. Gamepass doesn't count
  2. Player count doesn't matter
  3. Fake accounts are created to boost numbers (even though they don't matter)
Lol

It's ok for videogames on the platform you tell yourself to dislike to succeed, guys.

Oct 12, 2020
The first week or so of FH5 for me involved quite a few stops in at the Hall of Fame to see the burgeoning player count. And of course I'd run a few drag races while I was there.

I'm sure expectations were high at Xbox headquarters for this game…but no doubt they absolutely obliterated them.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
People keep saying that, but the thing that everyone always references is driving around Tokyo - which is an entirely different ganeplay experience.

Might be quite a good opportunity to freshen things up though. Not to go 'all city', by any means, but to provide a more comprehensive street racing experience with a much bigger city area. So far the urban areas have always been tiny compared to the environment as a whole, it would be cool to see a balanc emore like GTAV's on that front.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
You've got to take a hard look at your life priorities if you think random people are spending their free time creating new accounts to inflate numbers for a video game.

I mean who doesn't create 1,000s of accounts to inflate the numbers for Forza, SoT, and Halo. I think I'm upwards of 170,000 different accounts for each right now; just doing my part, ya know? I spend more time creating new accounts than actually playing the games….

Oct 27, 2017
By my count, I see that Forza Horizon 5 has now spent 11 weeks in the top 10 global Steam sales charts. So, yeah, it continues to sell exceptionally well globally.