• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Edited with a couple other things you could try :)
Lowering those settings gives me a little bump, but still nowhere near an acceptable framerate.

Also I'm pretty sure there's no way I should be barely managing 30fps at 1080p on my rig.

Even if I drop everything to medium, I still can't keep a locked 60. Beginning of the benchmark race hovers around 40 fps, and then it goes to 50 for a while, before hitting 60-70 fps for the night section.

Things I've tried so far:

Disabling my second monitor

All kinds of Nvidia CP settings including default for everything, scaling options, resolution.

Complete Reinstall of the game

Unplugging my Oculus

Turning off my CPU overclock

Upgrading from 8gb to 16gb of ram

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Agreed. Wonder what's up with that. Latest drivers? Have you tried a clean install?
Yep, all latest drivers. I rolled back to previous drivers, that didn't help, so I updated drivers again. Did a clean install yesterday, same problem.

Is it possible they've just broke performance of the game on gtx980 cards with updates? That seems pretty specific but I know fuck all about game development.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
If your internet permits, maybe try reinstalling the game?

Have you posted on the forzamotorsport support website about the issue?
Yep, I reinstalled the game yesterday. Opened a support tickrt on the support website, I didn't make a thread, I saw a couple similar threads with no replies from months ago, so I didn't bother. Also saw people saying they never heard back from support after weeks and weeks so I don't have much optimism there.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Just skimming the last few pages of the thread.

Apologies if this has been Brough up before, but the 3GB 1060 is lacks some cores compared to the 6GB version. So it'll be slower regardless.

RetroKrystal

Community Liaison for Playground Games
Verified
Oct 15, 2018
MazeHaze - Which settings are you running the game at? Are you trying to run everything at Ultra? If so, try running at High.

Also make sure you've attached that Benchmark image to the support ticket. Apologise if there's any delay to someone answering, we're experiencing a big influx of tickets.

RetroKrystal

Community Liaison for Playground Games
Verified
Oct 15, 2018
I can't even launch the damn game. I've tried every fix, but nothing worked.

By "Can't even launch" - Do you mean you can't even open it from dashboard, or is it crashing as you press A to start, or just not loading past the loading screen?

The team are aware of various crashes currently and are trying to get these fixed.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
MazeHaze - Which settings are you running the game at? Are you trying to run everything at Ultra? If so, try running at High.

Also make sure you've attached that Benchmark image to the support ticket. Apologise if there's any delay to someone answering, we're experiencing a big influx of tickets.
When I run on high, I can't keep a locked 60 fps, it varies between 40-70 fps, usually in the low 50s. When I run on Ultra, I can't even hit a locked 30 fps. This is on a gtx 980 with an i5 4690k at 4.3 ghz with 16 gb ram. Benchmarks from release show almost double the performance with similar hardware, so it definitely seems like something is wrong. Even runnin on medium I still get framerates between 45-70, the only way I can hold a locked 60 fps is to put everything on low.

Last edited:

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
By "Can't even launch" - Do you mean you can't even open it from dashboard, or is it crashing as you press A to start, or just not loading past the loading screen?

The team are aware of various crashes currently and are trying to get these fixed.

I mean, I can't even open it from the dashboard, I get a splash screen and it crashes a few seconds later. I'm not running anything like MSI afterburner or an antivirus in the background.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
Does anyone have a problem with Windows 10 and realtek drivers? I have a custom EQ and Forza uses the EQ settings when playing the intro video but when I get to the menu the game turns off the EQ and my speakers sound off without it.

This started when I updated Windows to version 1803. actually Realtek drivers have been a mess since I updated, I can't even access the Realtek Control Panel but only Forza stops using my custom EQ preset.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Does anyone have a problem with Windows 10 and realtek drivers? I have a custom EQ and Forza uses the EQ settings when playing the intro video but when I get to the menu the game turns off the EQ and my speakers sound off without it.

This started when I updated Windows to version 1803. actually Realtek drivers have been a mess since I updated, I can't even access the Realtek Control Panel but only Forza stops using my custom EQ preset.
Now that you mention it, it makes sense. I've got a surround setup and cranked up the surround speakers a bit in the Realtek control panel, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything in FH4.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Just skimming the last few pages of the thread.

Apologies if this has been Brough up before, but the 3GB 1060 is lacks some cores compared to the 6GB version. So it'll be slower regardless.
I installed the demo on my wife's PC that has a 3GB 1060 and ran the demo/benchmark

She has a 1440p 144hz monitor, and the 3GB had no problem running it at 1440p/72fps locked at medium settings. It looked pretty dang good for a budget card.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hey guys

I have not played the game since launch- I would get black screen hard crashes far too often for me to invest too much time into it.

has this been fixed yet?

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
Hey guys

I have not played the game since launch- I would get black screen hard crashes far too often for me to invest too much time into it.

has this been fixed yet?

Nobody could know if this game black screens on your setup. I've never had a problem with the game on my set up but we have different systems.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Finally went to my backlog and now have a chance to properly play this.

Is there a way to make RTSS show up? I know they've blacklisted the exe since it used to crash at launch, but I figured they fixed that since it's been some time.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fucking shit.

I can't belive I'm saying this but FH4 on PC might be worse then FH3 at launch.

I've played around 10 hours of FH4 and it was all fine outside some stuttering here and there but now I can't even play the game more then 1 hour because it starts memory leaking using all of my available RAM + going agressivly into the page file too to the point where the game becomes a stutter mess and my PC almost locks up. This was a problem with FH3 for some people too back in the day, which I thankfully never encountred myself.

What the hell is this PG? Seriosuly thinking about refunding.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Holy fucking shit.

I can't belive I'm saying this but FH4 on PC might be worse then FH3 at launch.

I've played around 10 hours of FH4 and it was all fine outside some stuttering here and there but now I can't even play the game more then 1 hour because it starts memory leaking using all of my available RAM + going agressivly into the page file too to the point where the game becomes a stutter mess and my PC almost locks up. This was a problem with FH3 for some people too back in the day, which I thankfully never encountred myself.

What the hell is this PG? Seriosuly thinking about refunding.

Can you post the result screen from your benchmark?

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Can you post the result screen from your benchmark?

I'm not at home atm but I'm pretty sure I'm not limited anywhere.

2700x
GTX 1080TI
16GB RAM

I play at 1440p with a mix of ultra and high settings I easily get over 80-90 fps. I monitored my ram usage during the game and for the most part it stays around the 9-10gb mark then it slowly rams up over 1 hour, using all of it then going into the pagefile and everything going downhill.

It's literally the same bug that was present in FH3. Some people told me to try playing offline to see if that will help and I will have to give it a go.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Played this for about 6 hours straight today:

9900k @ 4.8ghz
2080Ti
32GB DDR 3600 RAM

Played at 4k, w/ HDR enabled, and a mix of Ultra+Extreme settings.I was in the lower 70fps area most of the time. Performance mirroed that of the benchmark, where I got a solid 70fps under the same settings. Maybe they've patched up some of the earlier issues, but I had zero problems during the 6 hour stretch. No hitches, hiccups, freezes, etc. Absolutely incredible looking game under those conditions as well. The HDR implementation is phenomenal.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I never thought I would enjoy this game so much as I do now but god, it keep crashing every now and than
It always crash, no matter what, at some point. Worse, It crashes a lot when i'm buying cars upgrades

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I'm glad I didn't read this thread before buying this game on a whim. I might not have since it seems like there are a lot of issues for people, but it's been nothing but smooth sailing here. Locked 4k60 at max settings (2x MSAA, motion blur off), no hitches, crashes, etc in ~15 hours of play. It was my first time buying a game from the MS store as well, but it was pretty painless. 4.7ghz 6700k, Titan X Pascal, 32mb 3200mhz DDR4.

I haven't played a racing game since the N64 era... I'm really enjoying it despite being pretty bad.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Bizarre... I played this game for over 100 hours on PC with a 1060 and never had any issues. This thread is the first I'm hearing of it.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Bizarre... I played this game for over 100 hours on PC with a 1060 and never had any issues. This thread is the first I'm hearing of it.
I still cant get more than an unstable 40-60 fps no matter the settings on a gtx 980 i54690k. I tried everything. I opened a support ticket and the devs recommend I lock the framerate to 30fps. So I uninstalled and just played it on my xbox.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I wish there was a way to push out the LoD pop-in further on this game. It's improved over XBO but still visible and annoying even in Ultra. My 9900k/2080ti can take it, Playground. So why not give me the option?

That aside, it's still a night and day difference over the X version thanks to the glorious 60fps at 4k.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
You can run afterburner in background even tho the hud doesnt work and it will still track gpu and cpu usage. What do they report?
I dont remember really, I went through all this when I was trying to fix it and everything seemed normal. It would be hitting 90+% gpu usage. Trust me I tried everything, I fucked with it for like a month. Even upgraded my ram cuz I thought that might be it. Nothing. Even 1080p on medium cant hold 60. Figured it was some weird quirk with UWP. All other games on my rig run great at 1080p 60+ fps mostly maxed out.

Edit: it just felt like something was wrong/conflicting or something. Like if I could alt+enter into exclusive fullscreen or something it would sort itself out. Unfortunately UWP is a locked down clusterfuck and doesn't let you do that, or tweak anything really.

Last edited:

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I dont remember really, I went through all this when I was trying to fix it and everything seemed normal. It would be hitting 90+% gpu usage. Trust me I tried everything, I fucked with it for like a month. Even upgraded my ram cuz I thought that might be it. Nothing. Even 1080p on medium cant hold 60. Figured it was some weird quirk with UWP. All other games on my rig run great at 1080p 60+ fps mostly maxed out.

Edit: it just felt like something was wrong/conflicting or something. Like if I could alt+enter into exclusive fullscreen or something it would sort itself out. Unfortunately UWP is a locked down clusterfuck and doesn't let you do that, or tweak anything really.
GPU usage at 90+ hmmm. The game runs kind of poor on nvidia in general but you should be able to get 60 fps at the right mix of settings. Im assuming all other games run properly relative to your systems power. Not sure on this one

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
GPU usage at 90+ hmmm. The game runs kind of poor on nvidia in general but you should be able to get 60 fps at the right mix of settings. Im assuming all other games run properly relative to your systems power. Not sure on this one
Yeah everything else runs great, I'm playing the new wolfenstein mostly maxed at like 90-120 fps 1080p. it's literally just Forza. Even 1080p on low cant hold 60. It just wont run properly. I blame UWP, because it's the only UWP game I've tried and it's the only game I've had a problem like this.

Oct 27, 2017
Jumped back in a bit today, and despite a very frustrating issue with my controller I forgot how well it ran. Forza Horizon is one of the only racing games I can stand at 30fps (having only played on Xbox beforehand probably helps).

I have a 9400F/1660 and I get a locked 2160/30fps on High (Long motion blue due to frame rate) and my GPU usage seems to hover in the 80s. I was able to hit 1440/60 with some adjustments as well. If this was any other racing game I would immediately choose 1440/60 but I feel more stable in 2160/30 as it is what I'm used to gameplay wise with Horizon.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Ryzen 7 3700x
EVGA 2080ti hybrid
32GB 3000MHz DDR4 RAM
1TB M.2 2280 Samsung 960

I run with everything maxed in 1440p. 60fps vsync puts me at 50-70% GPU. If I unlock the fps I get 90-100fps with 80-90% GPU used.
I should test it in 4K and see how it goes.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought a laptop with i5 10300 and rtx 2060. I can't believe I get Forza to run at 1440p60 FPS (it's 90+ but I lock to 60). On Xbox one X i love 60fps but 1080p was too blurry. 1440p is almost as crisp as 4k and 60fps god damn.
Very lttp but wow

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Era, what is up with this game? I had a great time with Horizon 3 and it ran perfectly regardless of framerate. Horizon 4 (on Steam) is just awful. Every time it drops below my monitor's max refresh rate, I get stuttering like crazy.

If I force my refresh rate low enough so that I never drop frames, there are no stutters at all, but I want to get the most out of my hardware, you know?

I have a G-Sync monitor and I'm forcing v-sync at the driver level. My in-game settings are the same as Horizon 3. I have pretty good hardware. It shouldn't be behaving like this.

Oct 27, 2017
Era, what is up with this game? I had a great time with Horizon 3 and it ran perfectly regardless of framerate. Horizon 4 (on Steam) is just awful. Every time it drops below my monitor's max refresh rate, I get stuttering like crazy.

If I force my refresh rate low enough so that I never drop frames, there are no stutters at all, but I want to get the most out of my hardware, you know?

I have a G-Sync monitor and I'm forcing v-sync at the driver level. My in-game settings are the same as Horizon 3. I have pretty good hardware. It shouldn't be behaving like this.
Might be cpu, what do you got?