• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I can only comment on the demo and I also don't have the game ready driver installed yet. At ultra settings the actual bits where I'm driving the car or in a race are staying smooth at 60fps. The bits in between where the characters are out of the car and talking run at about 45-50fps and I'm really not sure what is going on there that makes it run that bad. I'm installing the new drivers now but I won't be able to test the demo out again until later today.

WildWayz

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can only comment on the demo and I also don't have the game ready driver installed yet. At ultra settings the actual bits where I'm driving the car or in a race are staying smooth at 60fps. The bits in between where the characters are out of the car and talking run at about 45-50fps and I'm really not sure what is going on there that makes it run that bad. I'm installing the new drivers now but I won't be able to test the demo out again until later today.

I've noticed that in the retail release during those scenes. Gameplay is stable 60fps @ 4K ultra but those 'cut scenes' occasionally drop fps

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
HDR isn't a 4K specific feature. It's more do with luminance and amount of colors you can have on screen. Even a 1080P can display a game in HDR color space.

This is true. However, Windows tends to only output HDR properly when also set to a native 4K output.

MSAA+MFAA or MSAA+Transparency AA?

Dunno how MFAA looks but seeing that Transparency AA picture I would say the latter.

Also what kind of % performance hit does the Trans AA give about?

MFAA is a modification or override of how MSAA is rendered, not a seperate additional method.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't used MFAA much, I'm curious to give it a try, but it seems to have some shortcomings.

• One note of importance is that MFAA doesn't function properly below 40FPS. Below that threshold, MFAA causes smearing and blurring in motion.
  • Possibly also disable D3D11 Driver Command Lists, killing multi-threaded rendering (and thus performance when CPU-limited)

I usually don't like these weird AA methods and like to stick with time-tested antialiasing techniques that provide reliable results.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
I'm getting less FPS compared to demo + game stutters for me. 11 stutters in the benchmark compared to 0 or 1 in the demo (noticable in the regular gameplay). What's even more weird, is that I had demo installed to 7200RPM HDD and full game is on brand new SSD. So, not a great start for me.

LOD is still bugged and textures are a blurry mess in the (relatively short) distance.

Gonna try new 18.9.3 AMD drivers. Currently on 18.9.2.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting less FPS compared to demo + game stutters for me. 11 stutters in the benchmark compared to 0 or 1 in the demo (noticable in the regular gameplay). What's even more weird, is that I had demo installed to 7200RPM HDD and full game is on brand new SSD. So, not a great start for me.

LOD is still bugged and textures are a blurry mess in the (relatively short) distance.

Gonna try new 18.9.3 AMD drivers. Currently on 18.9.2.
Are you forcing AF on driver level? Somebody in this thread reported that doing so on Nvidia caused the LOD bug, haven't verified it myself though.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Anyone using OBS and experiencing an issue with capturing the game and having it crash? I encountered this yesterday and I had thought it was due to upgrading the Nvidia drivers. But it seems that there's a conflict with OBS as another person also mentioned this.

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postsm963052_OBS-crashes-game.aspx#post_963052
https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst132878_Streamlabs-obs-crashes-game--PC.aspx

Which is odd as I had zero issues using OBS with the demo.

*Edit*. Now that I think about it more. I was fine when I was on the Nvidia 399 drivers. The new drivers caused issues, so I downgraded to 411.63 from 411.70. I'm going to go back to 399 and see if that helps.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Anyone using OBS and experiencing an issue with capturing the game and having it crash? I encountered this yesterday and I had thought it was due to upgrading the Nvidia drivers. But it seems that there's a conflict with OBS as another person also mentioned this.

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postsm963052_OBS-crashes-game.aspx#post_963052
https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst132878_Streamlabs-obs-crashes-game--PC.aspx

Which is odd as I had zero issues using OBS with the demo.

*Edit*. Now that I think about it more. I was fine when I was on the Nvidia 399 drivers. The new drivers caused issues, so I downgraded to 411.63 from 411.70. I'm going to go back to 399 and see if that helps.
Neat that you say this. I had the expereience were 399 drivers could load up the game with RTSS, then the drivers of 411-fame caused the game to crash with RTSS :/
Odd.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Neat that you say this. I had the expereience were 399 drivers could load up the game with RTSS, then the drivers of 411-fame caused the game to crash with RTSS :/
Odd.

So I rolled back to 399 and look what I get now.

fh4-gpu-driver-warning.jpg

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
lol that is interesting - 399 is the shadow of the tombraider driver, right? that is what I used when it worked!
Yep. Wondering if there was a patch that was slipped in. Because OBS still causes crashes on 399. It didn't before.

Going to test some other apps now. This blows as I'd use OBS -> NDI to my streaming PC. I mean I could use NDI's native tools, but still.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Yep. Wondering if there was a patch that was slipped in. Because OBS still causes crashes on 399. It didn't before.

Going to test some other apps now. This blows as I'd use OBS -> NDI to my streaming PC. I mean I could use NDI's native tools, but still.

OK, what the hell. SteamOBS and XSplit Broadcast also crash the game. I've tested this on two different PCs with two different Nvidia drivers. What the heck. This stuff was working on the demo and the first day I had access to the full game.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OK, what the hell. SteamOBS and XSplit Broadcast also crash the game. I've tested this on two different PCs with two different Nvidia drivers. What the heck. This stuff was working on the demo and the first day I had access to the full game.

What changed after first day? You changed drivers?

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
Any stuttering at festivals or in citys? I loved Horizon 3 but the stutters i get in the city are still crazy even after all the "fixes".

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
If someone is interested in performance @ 1080p on a meh GPU, then on i7 8750h, 16GB DDR4 (2x8 2400mhz) and GTX 1050ti, I'm getting an average of 59FPS in the benchmark on High, auto-scaling disabled. FPS is hovering around 80 later on in the race, but it's under 60 for a brief moment when the race starts.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
As gorgeous the game is, the way the terrain "resolves" is definitely distracting at times. It's just too close - feels like it might be a broken setting, something that Digitalfoundry mentioned.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That was it.

I upgraded to the new Nvidia drivers as they were released. Nothing else. But this is happening on two different PCs that were fine before. The most i can do now is install it on my kids PC (Ryzen 1300 + GTX 1060) and see if I can capture with OBS / XSplit.

Did you try to remove drivers with DDU just to be sure nothing stays with the new drivers?

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
OK, doing more testing it seems that PG/MS had to have patched the game and broke it. I fired up the demo on both PCs and OBS / XSplit work fine. The full game crashes when doing the same thing.

The streaming PC has the 411.70 drivers and it runs the demo with OBS without issue. I'm not going to downgrade the drivers on that. I'll give DDU a shot on the main PC to see if it's a driver conflict there. But I'm at a loss as to why the demo works but the full game does not.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
With the demo, if I started the game with RTSS on, it crashed. If I started it without RTSS, then opened RTSS afterward, it was fine.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
DDU'd the PC and it still happens. FH4 crashes as soon as OBS starts.Eh. Means I can't easily stream it on PC, I'll have to go through my capture card for now.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
So my game looks like this:
HWPjo04.jpg

Multiple restarts. Ultra AF in game. Forcing 16x AF in driver on/off. Nothing helps :(

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So my game looks like this:

Multiple restarts. Ultra AF in game. Forcing 16x AF in driver on/off. Nothing helps :(
Don't force AF in the driver for this game, clear the game data cache in the Windows settings, Apps, select Forza Horizon 4, advanced options, clear data (or something like that).
It will clear the user files so it will redownload your save from the cloud and more importantly, it should rebuild the shader cache (tbh I did not try clearing this way, I deleted the files manually, but they are hidden so trying this is quicker).

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Finally got home, super excited to play.

Game won't launch.

E: applied OC, closed Afterburner and RTSS, now it launches.

So in the end, is the best IQ with MFAA and transparency AA in addition to MSAA, or should I not bother with MFAA?

Last edited:

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got home, super excited to play.

Game won't launch.

E: applied OC, closed Afterburner and RTSS, now it launches.

So in the end, is the best IQ with MFAA and transparency AA in addition to MSAA, or should I not bother with MFAA?

I wouldn't bother with MFAA, especially if you're not above 40fps at all times, in which case it'd actually make the image worse (ghosting).

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I wouldn't bother with MFAA, especially if you're not above 40fps at all times, in which case it'd actually make the image worse (ghosting).
I'm never under 40 fps ;)

Dunno if it's the new drivers, but it's running better than the demo so far.

Everything maxed except MSAA at 4x, 4x TrAA and MFAA. Only one frame rate drop (56) in the intro race, where it used to be 3-4 drops in the spring forest section.

That's at 1440p on a lightly OC'd 1080, 6700k stock 16Gb RAM and running off an SSD.

LOD still seems to be messed up though.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
List of know issues : https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...wn-Issues--Updated--September-27th--2018.aspx

So they know about the Nvidia AF bug and overlays crashing the game.
Need to add green screen when using HDR on game re-start. When I turn on HDR in OS first time and play the game, it's fine. If I exit the game and start again I get a green screen. The only solution is to turn the OS HDR off then on again. Probably an issue with the OS then the game but who knows. It's annoying all the same.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Does this game even support HDR on PC? Have Microsoft even bothered to patch HDR into FH3 or other games? I can't find info on this anywhere.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just had my first crash after 3 hours of play. Great experience over wise, haven't had a single stutter.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Without RTSS I can't cap the fps properly... Or maybe I ca use nvidia inspector (ugh more input lag). Either way pls fix

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Yikes. Xbox version got borked somehow on my end so I tried it on PC and found that the audio doesn't work. No sound outside of cutscenes.

Really disappointed right now, can't properly play anywhere until the Xbox version fully redownloadeds for no reason.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to get through the intro but I keep crashing in summer. Game freezes and then just closes....c'mon.

Oh god that bug is still in? Same thing happened to me. I had to switch from my on-board sound to a wireless headphone device in my windows sound settings to get it to not crash.

I had never had any other game crash when using on my on board chipset.

Lots of other people having this issue as well. Crazy it wasn't fixed for release.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Copying this from the OT:

Just experienced an error about streaming, the track stopped loading in and the game gave a "low cpu bandwidth or memory bandwidth"..... I clicked okay and the game continued, wtf?

On a Ryzen 1700 3.9ghz, gtx 1070, 16gb of ram and an nvme samsung 970.

Memory leak?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, is there really no resolution scaling? I'd like to have a 4K UI with 1440p-1620p rendering to keep 60fps on my 1070. =/