• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It was disappointing for me compared to FH3. It felt like they didn't know how to improve on that game and just made it more tedious and less interesting.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Horizon 2 was so good that it restored my faith in console racers after the pain that was GT5. A lovely racing game with good depth if you'd care to find it. As a Motorstorm and Onrush fan I like the blend Playground went for. But as Evo is shuttered now I realise that's a minority opinion.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I sincerely regret not getting an Xbox before they shut down the servers and DLC for 1 and 2.

It's criminal that there's no all in one package ON DISC for these games.

One day that Lego expansion is going to be lost to time because it'll be taken down with no way to play it except for those that have bought it.

That and the Forza Horizon 2 Fast & Furious standalone game. No physical copy, delisted and no way to obtain it unless you previously had it. I luckily have both the Xbox 360/Xbox One version when it was given out for free, but it's a shame that it's lost to time.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
It's an ok driving game but a bad racing game. The progression sucks and there is no consequence doing bad in a race vs doing well. Also the showcase races or whatever they were called kind of suck.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah it's an amazing game and once you turn off some of the assists, it's much more challenging. The only thing I hated was how many cosmetics you got on wheel spins instead of cars.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I love forza horizon 4, its an excellent racing game, but its not quite at the GOAT tier racing game status that forza horizon 3 is. 3 just had a better map, and better music in my opinion, and blizzard mountain is just wonderful. Though i will admit fh4's treasure island dlc has grown on me quite a bit
4 has a far better map than 3.

The variation in the track design is far superior to 3.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The game was one of my biggest disappointments of last year, i was really pissed about this entry.
bland/boring environments, Fortnite loot crap with funny hats, dances and shit, soundtrack lacking, super bad online, the signature races are lame too...it is just not good. biggest offender was the white celebration screen that comes directly when driving over the finish line...awful decision.

Forza Horizon got progressively worse, FH2 is still favourite, FH3 was nice but map too small, from jungle to outback in 4minutes was silly...Blizzard Mountain was better

FH4 is the worst Forza Horizon out there, much bloat and it literally screams "made for gamepass"

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game but my biggest beef is the engine sounds. They all either don't match or just straight up sound like ass. I really don't understand too because if you go back to FH3 the engine sounds were WAY better, I don't know if it was a license thing or what that caused them to throw away all those sound files but they really need to get that together.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's a great game but my biggest beef is the engine sounds. They all either don't match or just straight up sound like ass. I really don't understand too because if you go back to FH3 the engine sounds were WAY better, I don't know if it was a license thing or what that caused them to throw away all those sound files but they really need to get that together.

Yep, the sound design has never been particularly good in this franchise but the engine sounds went downhill in 4 somehow. People have been complaining about it since day one but they've haven't done much. They out so much effort and care into the graphics but when it comes to audio the game is basic as hell.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Gutted we didn't get another Hot Wheels expansion. Lego is fun but it's no Hot Wheels with the crazy stunt tracks.

I'd love for Playground to work on a Hot Wheels spin off game. Make it happen Booty.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Got it through Gamepass, had an absolute blast for a decent amount of time ... but it just gets instantly and immediately stale after a certain point. I recall looking at my map, seeing 80 icons, having a handful of incredible cars, and just feeling like "ok so what's the point?" and then dropped it. Don't get me wrong, it was incredibly fun up until that point, but it lacks long-term sticking power.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
It's the fourth in a side series of racing games that have been made since 2003. Shit's beyond stale/boring at this point looking from the outside in.

It cracked me up a lot when I saw the XB1 pallet skirt at Costco with a grouping of well-known MS properties...and a fucking sports car. Like, Microsoft thinks that "car, vroom vroom" is a fully formed mascot for the Xbox brand.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's a fantastic game I had a lot of fun with.
But once I realized it's a GaaS game that dorsn't really have a goal I dropped it.
But the game got me to try Gamepass and I love the service ever since

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The AI opponents made this game really frustrating. At the highest difficulties, they always have way more grip than you and much sharper turning radii. Physics-defying grip. Obnoxious. But if you turn down the difficulty, it becomes piss easy. No fun.

Anyway, I did what I always do. Saved up to unlock a Ferrari F40. Played a little while with that and uninstalled.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It's one of my favourite games in this gen so far, and I even gave it my goty vote in the rankings (in hindsight i'd say that Hitman 2 was probably a bit better, but this is stellar none the less).

There's just one thing I feel it lacks: The Sense of Progression. You can get hypercars from the get go, and you never feel like youre ever going anywhere. This is one aspect that Need for Speed Heat does way better. The best progression in Horizon was still the very first one.
Personally, sense of progression isn't really important for me. I like doing races with different cars, my reasoning for choosing one isn't just how good it is.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
have you ever wanted to drive an exotic sports car through a field of wheat? no? what the hell is wrong with you

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
The expansions were better on 3 but I still like 4 better overall. Probably my 2nd favourite game of the generation.

BOTW
FH4
—Gap—
RDR2
GOW
Mario Odyssey

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Horizon 4 but I didn't put anywhere near the same amount of time into it that I did Forza Horizon 3. The setting for Horizon 3 was much more interesting and fun to drive around. The Hot Wheels expansion was a lot more fun and interesting as well. There are areas of Horizon 4 I just don't like racing around. I never got that feeling with Horizon 3.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The games are well made but I think I'm more of a circuit racer guy. The driving feels good in FH4 but the racing wasn't sticky enough for me, so I fell off.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was as good as 3.

To me they went backwards in multiplayer. They made all cars in online ghost cars. To me it was a huge problem. I want to smash my car into my friends.

Ghost cars are lame.
Well, playing in a group with friends (or not) enable collision with them, it's just disabled with players not in your group.

It's better that way, then you can't be harassed by other players unless they are in your group.

You can still push traffic on them though as it's synced.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
It's a fantastic game but at times I kinda miss a more structured experience like GT, that's sorta like an RPG. This is kinda like, after 1 wheel spin you get a gazillion credits and can kinda do whatever, race whatever, blueprint whatever, "just do whatever we don't care" which is cool but you really have to just enjoy cars for the sake of enjoying cars, since there basically is no meaningful progression at all unless you like to 'catch em all'.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm playing FH 3 more (mainly because I bought the complete edition and gamepass has just base FH 4), it's the best Xbox franchise for sure.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I love it, but i wish it felt better with a racing wheel

And the lego expansion was fun, but there was a disappointing amount of actual lego cars

HMC

Aug 24, 2018
I freaking love FH4, Haven't been this invested into a racer since PGR3. My 10yo son likes to just cruise around the map in the Mystery Machine obeying the speed limits and following the flow of traffic, lol.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
From an outsider perspective it seems racing games are nowhere near popular as they once were. Even my more casual friends that bought GT Sport don't play it that much. So I think it's not a quality problem, specially in the Forza series.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forza Horizon 3 and 4 are two of the best racing games ever made. It's a shame the GOTY talks don't really consider them as they're racers and those are ignored by tons of players. Missing the good old days in which games like Need For Speed Underground or Burnout 3 were on anybody's tongues.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
One of the games with the best support post launch also. And that for the first time they ever did it. Alot of devs struggle with that for a first time. But they nailed it.
Its a reason the game is still high up on the most played list also. I believe its always in the top 10 in the UK for example. That for a racing game and more then a year old.

I keep saying it. Put it on Steam also. It would do amazing there.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
2 is my overall favourite. Felt genuinely next gen, had the best soundtrack in the series and the setting is far more appealing to me than 3/4. I just wish 2/3/4 had a more rewarding progression system like 1 did.

Dec 15, 2017
It's a great game, and much better optimized for PC than FH3. But spinweel prizes where utter crap and the map was beyond boring. Give me a game like Forza Motorsport Legends (with pre 2005 cars) for Scarlett/PC anyday.

Alive2007

Aug 21, 2019
One of my favorite games this generation, made me fall in love with racing games all over again.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The template peaked with Horizon 3. I'd love to see what Playground could achieve if they were to make a track racer, we'd have the new PGR!

Just imagine.

New PGR.

PGR.

P

G

R

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
2 is my overall favourite. Felt genuinely next gen, had the best soundtrack in the series and the setting is far more appealing to me than 3/4. I just wish 2/3/4 had a more rewarding progression system like 1 did.

This is my main issue with the how the Horizon games are set up, there is no sense of progression in the games except for the first one. FH2 felt next gen compared to the first game but my favorite is still FH3.

Oh and the cosmetics, such a great improvement to the game that i never touched them.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i was really hyped for it but ended up disliking it very much. i honestly don't get it.
it was just boring and felt pointless to play.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game was fantastic. Great cars and driving, lots of things to do, nice customization. I found the setting unfortunate, but it worked well enough.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weather is cool but I vastly preferred 3 with the custom radio station and the Toyota license. I also liked the map way more.

and discovering FH2 was magic. The Horizon games are great but are incremental riffs on that game - The jumps haven't felt as big as the one from FH1 -> FH2, which I guess makes sense given the generation gap.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer FH3. It had a better flow. Slightly better soundtrack.

FH4 is slightly more replayable because of seasons
FH4 is also insanely optimized. I don't miss the performance issues from FH3.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
The game is great the expansions were a bit of a miss I feel like Forza 3 was amazing due how they knocked it out of the park with he expansions.

The lego expansion was a big letdown.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Weather is cool but I vastly preferred 3 with the custom radio station and the Toyota license. I also liked the map way more.

and discovering FH2 was magic. The Horizon games are great but are incremental riffs on that game - The jumps haven't felt as big as the one from FH1 -> FH2, which I guess makes sense given the generation gap.

The weather is actually lame compared to what they had in previous expansions. Seasons sucks as a gimmick too - no I don't want to wait 3 week for winter to come back every time.