• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
The goofiness of this reminds me of the various game modes in Midtown Madness 3.

So basically they should adapt those too.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
REALLY excited for this, it just looks like plain fun.
Biosnake you should put the official trailer in the OP.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wow I was expecting this to be like PGR Bulldog or like Lap elimination.

But this is absolutely NUTS. Holy crap

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
nah that would be 1 easily

Get out of here.

I could (and have in the last) go on for ages about why I disagree, but as it's not really on topic will try to keep it brief.

In short, I'm not fond of the games' increasing lack of structure, direction and rival personalities. FH2 imo was the worst due to the repetitive nature of the "road trip" setup and for having the worst designed cross-country layouts. And for having Ben.... goddamn did Ben suck.

Preach it.

Also the lack of story and real human feeling opponents sucks so much ass. If they could make something that's a combination of 3 and 4's strengths, with some more of the great tracks in 1, with the motivation, characters, and basic story structure of 1, and then idk, throw in like, bikes too, and then give it a water sport expansion, they would have The Greatest racing game of all time.

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
The fact you can't reject challenges makes this interesting. Part of my lack of interest with BR is how you're not doing anything interesting much of the time. It's the downtime. Since the entire game is based on driving, you're constantly doing the thing the game was based on even when you're not challenging someone.

Bottom line is Playground deserves credit for thinking outside the box and being creative.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the title and like others, was really hoping this was basically "Forza Destruction Derby". Ah well. Maybe one day.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
This seems cool. I've been playing this a lot lately on Gamepass and I can't stop thinking FH4 would be a good base for a Midtown Madness game. This mode even starts you in Mini Coopers, objectively the best car in MM3!

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The first Horizon game is the best.
No wai.

Horizon games have their issues, but the pseudo plot of the first game was ugh.

All they need to do is find a way to use their open-world other than being a 10268706780th Ubisoft clone.

There are some ideas in H4 with their unlock structure, but it's still just a collectathon model.

They need something akin to RPG quests.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Heck yeah.

Perfect opportunity to brand an update with the Midtown Madness logo and add tag, hunter & prey, and stayaway game modes.

Hunter is the best.

Forza Horizon has probably made Midtown Madness again unlikely but hey, maybe a much denser City based Forza Madness in spirit would be a welcome change and add a Forge mode on top, that's my dream.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not what I expected

When a AM2 developed Outrun Battle Royal where 100 ferraris race from Patagonia, reaching checkpoints through South, Central and North America, till the goal in the North Pole? That's my dream game.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone clarify why if when I fired up the game and I was still on the Lego's expansion, if I traveled to Great Britain (the mainland) to check this out, and then quit the game, when I launched it again I was back in the Lego's expansion? Do I need to do something specific when I quit the game to be back on the mainland next time I launch it? Because that is annoying to have to travel back every time.

SuperFinal

Cinematics Designer at Playground Games
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
Can anyone clarify why if when I fired up the game and I was still on the Lego's expansion, if I traveled to Great Britain (the mainland) to check this out, and then quit the game, when I launched it again I was back in the Lego's expansion? Do I need to do something specific when I quit the game to be back on the mainland next time I launch it? Because that is annoying to have to travel back every time.
You've probably set the LEGO house as your main property. Just set one of the houses back on the mainland as your main house.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
You've probably set the LEGO house as your main property. Just set one of the houses back on the mainland as your main house.
Thanks. It has been months since I have played so I forgot one needs to visit one of the houses to call that "home."
And to clarify, it really just has been quite some time. I am an older gamer, I like to play all sorts of games as I prefer variety. I have not been one to play one game for months at a time for at least a decade.
With that said fantastic job on the game. Definitely one of my favorites of the past two years.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
Can't look at the trailer right now, but is it similar to Wipeout HD's elminator mode? Last person to finish the lap, or in Horizon's case, since they have point to point races, last person to reach the next point gets eliminated?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Can't look at the trailer right now, but is it similar to Wipeout HD's elminator mode? Last person to finish the lap, or in Horizon's case, since they have point to point races, last person to reach the next point gets eliminated?

Not exactly. Basically everything takes place on the normal Horizon 4 map; you roam around looking for opponents, challenge them to 1v1 races to a certain point, and if you win you get to take their car or upgrade your own. Rinse and repeat; as time passes the "circle" gets smaller so it funnels people together like in a normal BR.

There's no circuit/point-to-point racing with multiple people, you eliminate people one by one.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I got 3rd place. It's fun.

once you make it to the final it is all luck

OneTime

Sep 26, 2018
Where should I look for car drops? Played a few rounds but rarely see drops. Not sure if that is by design.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Where should I look for car drops? Played a few rounds but rarely see drops. Not sure if that is by design.
I played like 4 rounds and I just found them in mostly random places it seemed. Like at one point I was lost in the woods and found one, so really not sure and would love to also hear if anyone has figured out if there is any pattern to where they are.

EDIT - I will add I did hear the voice at the beginning of the match say they were near buildings. That has not been my experience.

Oct 27, 2017
I have never wanted to play a versus race in the Forza games. Always feel like I'm going to ruin other people's good time or some people take it too seriously.

This battle royals thing is finally a mode I'm happy to play. I'm bad at it, but at least I'm having fun and the inherent chaos means everyone is on the same page.

The info ticker in the corner shows people finding good cars right away, so there must be some good drop locations but I can't find them.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I've been playing this gamemode, and it's made me realise how much I love FH4 again.

It's really fun. Could use some work, but I love the mad dash towards the end. I think the main problem is just the map itself, too many fields you can easily bound across. I kinda miss FH3's Australia for the diversity of environments.