• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Forza Horizon 4 is very good, everyone knows that already. The games are full of content, the controls and physics feel great, the graphics are breathtaking, but one aspect that's gone a little under the radar in my opinion is how amazing its setpieces are. Spoiler warning, if you want to check them out by yourself I guess.

For those of you that haven't played the game, Forza Horizon 4 has something called Showcase Events, in which you race against some... unconventional vehicles. To give you an idea, the first one is you racing against a hovercraft:

These Showcases start turning up the wackiness and all of them are really fucking cool, but the final one in particular blew my mind:

How the entire world changes to have shields and shit, how you play as fucking Master Chief in a Forza Horizon game, seeing the ring stretching into the distance, the epic orchestra playing in the background, the ships flying by, and while all of this is obviously scripted, you don't actually feel limited by playing. It's amazing, and if it blew my mind I can't imagine how cool Halo fans found it. It's really hard to make good setpieces in racing games (to be fair, there's not many games that try), but all of the Showcases pulled it off perfectly, it's really impressive.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
All super impressive, especially Halo, the train and the plane. I love to replay them. Only disappointed we never got the Chief's suit/Spartan armor like in the Halo level so I could ride around in the Warthog, dressed as him, blasting the Halo theme horn.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Not a set piece but I loved the set of video game inspired missions. Especially the Crazy Taxi one!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Woah where do I find these?

It's one of the mission givers. The character is a streamer (I know, groan) but I think she has 10 of these? You unlock her missions when you hit level 40. All little missions based on different games.

• OutRun
  • Smuggler's Run
  • Crazy Taxi
  • Project Gotham Racing
  • Test Drive
  • Daytona USA
  • Sega Rally
  • Super Off-Road
  • Ridge Racer
  • 'various'

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite showcase is racing the train to Halls of the Mountain King.

This game is so much fun, I really didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I have when loading it up on Game Pass. It's not perfect, but hits a nice spot between arcade and sim for me.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To be fair, all four games have a few awesome showcase events. The problem is the low numbers of them really, many more would be way more appreciated.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked this game up to check it out for maybe a few hours... and it turned out to be a few days. I love the feel of the game. While usually I lean more towards more grounded racing games, this really made me enjoy the fact that not everything has to be a sim.Damn what a good game.

Nov 25, 2017
Finland
Tried this on the game pass thingy on PC.

Can't really understand why this is so highly reviewed? To me the game looks extremely clinical, like the cars aren't really communicating with the terrain. And, you're lacking every kind of atmosphere particle effect imagineable. I'm not talking Ridge Racer level opposite-direction-360-degree-corner bad, but wth. I drive a car. The speed dial is whack in this since I can comfortably blow through a village at 300+ km/h. You can even drive through almost any kind of obstacle and go past 200 km/h in a gorram field with a "regular car". And, there are like gazillion popups on the maps and I feel like in the Futurama episode where the ads attacked.

I do like it when I took off assistances from controlling the car, but that didn't last past an hour, since the races are all so darned samey.

I'm finding I'm fiddling with the photo mode instead. So, I guess, that's fine too? But, then I bump into how barren the game looks.

But, I kinda wanted to drive. To find a car and learn its tricks.

Are there "slower" driving games out there? With a stellar photo mode?

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
How's the Lego DLC? I may buy just that and play it on game pass. Though I bought FH3 and the hot weeks DLC and didn't even play it yet, heh!