• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
How much, uh, "car-PG" is there in a FH game? I haven't played a racing game since probably GT2, but I really liked taking a Civic or some other mundane car and slowly upgrading it. If I could do some of that while exploring the pretty map I think I'd be in.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
How much, uh, "car-PG" is there in a FH game? I haven't played a racing game since probably GT2, but I really liked taking a Civic or some other mundane car and slowly upgrading it. If I could do some of that while exploring the pretty map I think I'd be in.
You can yeah.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I don't even generally like car racing games (the only ones I had really enjoyed before were Mario Kart and other cartoon-y racers) but I deeply loved my time with this game. It's really remarkable how good they made it feel to drive fast cars around this open map, even if, like me, you barely even engage with the deeper racing gameplay.

My boyfriend was surprised that I had been playing it because I have no interest in cars, and I described the appeal of it for me to him as "kind of Breath of the Wild with cars."

Plus it's fun to win/buy these kind of boring looking cars (that I have no idea what they are because, again, no prior car knowledge) and painting them or decorating them with weird stickers.

Last edited:

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
This is the exact reason why I fell in love with the Horizon series. It does exactly that, it's the evolution of the old Gran Turismo 2 CarPG mode, but with open world exploration and accessible, arcadey gameplay.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Awesome news! If you were holding out for the Steam version you are in for a treat.

On my Series X, Forza Horizon 4 is legitimately one of the best-looking games I have ever played.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I played it some on GamePass, but I would be willing to get it on Steam. Probably during a sale around 20-30 bucks. It is a great game.

Nov 21, 2017

The game is very, very, VERY generous with giving you cash and cars with regularity. See the seasonal objectives: each week you have new targets to beat on specific speed traps, drift zones and jumps amongst other things; each one gets you a "Super Wheelspin", which can gift you up to 3 cars. Plus you get normal, singular-prize giving Wheelspins with regularity if you progress thorugh the main championships. And when leveling up your driver. And you can buy more with skill points you get from doing drifts, jumps, etc.

In other words, don't expect to stick to one car and slowly upgrade it, because you'll quickly get the cash to buy all the stuff for it. You ALWAYS get xp and money on races, no matter what assists you use or in what position you end.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
From MS:

kotaku.com

Forza Horizon 4 Is Coming To Steam In March

Microsoft’s gorgeous British countryside racer Forza Horizon 4 is coming to Steam on March 9, the company announced today. It marks the latest in a long line of first-party Microsoft games coming to rival platforms, and the first time a Forza game has ever appeared on Valve’s storefront.

What? How bizarre. Why wouldn't achievements and saves carry over? This is dumb.

Makes a bit of sense. They may consider it more of a "legacy" title than new releases that require XBL login etc
Edit: oh actually, does need XBL login and syncs achievements. Interesting. Maybe extra work for the rest of it, or not wanting to lose users already in MS store.

Wait, so it doesn't keep saves but it does sync achievements? How odd. I wonder how it handles steam achievements. Because I'm pretty sure MCC, which obviously didn't have a UWP version, still manages to sync your steam achievements to your xbox ones. Weird.

EDIT: wait where are you seeing the syncing

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I got burned really bad with Forza horizon 3 on the windows store at launch, had a broken game for months, now that's delisted with the dlc too. I'll wait for a deep discount on 4 before I think about getting back in.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That seems wild. Since when does someone need an entire outside studio to integrate steam systems?

Like, bunches of companies did this for free in a quick update to remove GFWL back when that was a thing
It could be cheaper or FH team is really busy with finishing FH5 and need all hands on deck. Who knows and remember there is still a pandemic, which slows down development, thus time is even more crucial.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It could be cheaper or FH team is really busy with finishing FH5 and need all hands on deck. Who knows and remember there is still a pandemic, which slows down development, thus time is even more crucial.

Crazy. Oh well, it's not like I disbelieve it or anything. Sumo is perfectly competent.

I hope this really is a UWP to x86 port though. That I could definitely understand, and it would help so much for people who just couldn't make the FH4 work for them being a UWP game.

That's what they ported. Forza Horizon 4 on Microsoft Store is a UWP game (and other MS games before it). Steam does not accept UWP apps.

Man I was thinking it wasn't UWP. Am I actually thinking of Gears 5 as the first one to not be UWP on the windows store? Or am I just completely just mistaken here? Lol.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I literally bought an Xbox One just for this game a few years ago. So happy more people get to experience it now!

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Gears 5 is the first non-UWP game. Sadly MS keeps putting their store's games in containers to prevent all file access anyway.

Definitely annoying yeah. I wonder if FH4 might be different.

Yeah, this is super disappointing. I was planning on double-dipping, but not if my Xbox progress won't carry over. It's great that the game's finally coming to Steam, though.

Yeah, the first game was very direction focused with an incredibly strong progression. It has a beginning and an end. But the new ones are so open and directionless, achievements are something more tangible to work on. And boy is it a journey. I think I have 60% of the 3125 gamerscore currently available and haven't jumped in for the latest update. There's a ton of content with a lot of similarity so if I play too much I get burnt out. So yeah I doubt I start over maybe ever.

Would jump at the chance of replaying Forza Horizon 1 on steam though like you don't even know.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
Imo, the Forza Horizon games are the best games to come out of Xbox, so i'm really glad even more people will get into the series. Hopefully this means Forza Horizon 5 will be on Steam day 1.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I started playing Forza H 4 on Gamepass last week as I built a new PC however it randomly restarts my entire computer occasionally. (it has only happened 3 times). No other games have ever crashed let alone crashed my entire computer, I have run benchmarks, stress tests and RAM checks and everything is working fine so it must be Forza. I am hoping since this is essentially a different game (in the technical sense) it will work for me.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Ok, I honestly didn't think they would port this over anymore. Maybe there's still hope for other games then. Rare Replay would be amazing but unrealistic considering almost all of the games are running via bc.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap.

The final frontier. We've reached it. Forza is now on STEAM.

Curious if there will be any performance implications moving off UWP, but either way this is exciting.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not gonna lie, no cross-save is a major bummer. I've invested way too much in my current save to start over. Oh well, downgraded to 'deep sale' for me.
Minecraft is a head scratcher.
I can see why they'd keep Minecraft off Steam, especially considering how they're monetizing Bedrock Edition (paid mods!) probably won't sit great with Steam's userbase. On the other hand, the decision to not release Minecraft Dungeons on Steam is a baffler.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that the game doesn't have full cross save, considering than games like Sea of Thieves have it

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
That's great to hear. if Motorsport series on Steam next, things just got even better and I can just delete everything that's installed from UWP in the drive since I really hate how it handles the folders and files; they are encrypted/locked and I cannot do the proper and full backup copy to HDD storage or for other PC.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
That's great to hear. if Motorsport series on Steam next, things just got even better and I can just delete everything that's installed from UWP in the drive since I really hate how it handles the folders and files; they are encrypted/locked and I cannot do the proper and full backup copy to HDD storage or for other PC.

Yeah Forza Motorsport 6 Apex and Forza Motorsport 7 just do not perform well with pretty awful stutter. I have it mercifully not too bad, but it's still awful. I would play 7 on my one x, but the loading is so excruciatingly bad compared to PC on an SSD. And this is ignoring all the issues of just getting them to RUN at all for a lot of people.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Do we know if it's going to come with all DLC? I'd like to get the Lego Champions stuff, but I'd rather it be included in the base game.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Direct link to FAQs and support page:

https://support.forzamotorsport.net...0002444821-Forza-Horizon-4-is-headed-to-Steam

Q: If I already play Forza Horizon 4 on another platform, will my game progress carry over to Steam if I buy the Steam version?

A: Your save file on Steam is completely unique and separate from any pre-existing save file that's associated with your Xbox Live gamertag, due to technical limitations. However, there are a few exceptions:
  • Leaderboards are one per gamertag. May the best profile win.
  • Clubs are one per gamertag. Join once, play anywhere.

Nah, fuck that for returning players, all that seasonal progress and unlocks from the GamePass/Windows Store version gone.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to get this as I haven't played a good racer in a long-ass time. but the rumors of Horizon 5 being announced soon kinda put me off

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Nah, fuck that for returning players, all that seasonal progress and unlocks from the GamePass/Windows Store version gone.
Maybe I don't understand the PC market, but if you already have the game from the Windows Store and have played enough of it to care about progress, what is the benefit to playing the Steam version? I can understand those who only want to buy through Steam and have issues with the Windows Store (personally I don't care much either way), but if you are already playing on PC why double dip?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California