• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I used to post on the audiogalaxy forums back then.
And a couple of stone roses forums.

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I probably spent most of my time in pro wrestling forums back in the day and it's exactly the same as it was back then.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I used to be on Gaia online somewhat heavy in my early years. It's a couple of defunct side forums I was on too. Like a super small Nintendo one and a SFIV one as well. They both died.

The one that hurt the most was when the Nintendo Power forums closed. I loved those boards as a youngin.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I did a shit ton of eFedding in the mid-00s.

For those that don't know, an eFed is where you write roleplays as a professional wrestler to win matches in a fantasy wrestling world. It's way nerdier than it sounds.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
I'm confused, do you think any of this has changed?

Just cause you at least spend some of your time on a decently modded forum doesn't mean all that stuff went away.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I actually subscribed to the IGN boards for awhile. I stopped back by there when the old site fell. They were in awe of my 01 user name for a bit

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I used to be on Gaia online somewhat heavy in my early years. It's a couple of defunct side forums I was on too. Like a super small Nintendo one and a SFIV one as well. They both died.

The one that hurt the most was when the Nintendo Power forums closed. I loved those boards as a youngin.

I always forget I frequented Gaia for a while. I just checked on the forums and they are surprisingly active and not the complete cesspit I would have expected.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Signatures were the best. Were are you Dest ?

And the gaming forums were toxic as hell Mexico/Latam back then (just as the FB groups are now), but there was a certain charm to it xD

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed early '00s gaming forums more but that's because I stuck to a few places I liked (TNL, Digitpress). Big sites like IGN and GameFAQs were always shitty.

I especially like threads about old school games/history and that era generated deeper and longer discussions of classic stuff than you would generally find now. A lot of that is probably because the internet was still pretty new to most of us. For the first time we could talk about this stuff with other enthusiasts across the world instead of just with local friends. We could now emulate obscure games we never had access to before. Fast forward twenty years and I think a lot of people my age have just become bored with those topics or are busy with other things.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
DL2AISlWkAA2kF6.jpg

The good ol days.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I was on gaming age then gaf.. soooo

Was on E-mpire Forums in the mid 2000s.. it had all the platforms, and it was pretty civil. I wonder what happened with the community, because the site hasn't been up for a while now.

Then PS3forums, which was informative and nice.... then I came across the craziness when visiting Gamespot System Wars (the name duh!) and Gametrailers forum (although they had a great image upload community)

Early on Gaf didn't seem that bad when it came to consoles fighting, from what I remember. Might have been the mod crew.. but either way that obviously changed.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
No swearing and racism on GameFAQs and it was at the time considered a place of harsh moderation.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It wasn't too different back then. People were edgier and less concerned with social issues (at least on gaming forums). But you always had your fanboys and flame wars. The port beggars and the lists (oh god the lists).

I think the biggest difference between then and now is in user-friendly features. Stuff like spellcheck didn't really exist. And you usually had to know html or bb code if you wanted to format your post. Pasting a link wouldn't automatically make the link clickable. A lot of forums you couldn't even subscribe to threads in order to follow them. Or even do things like tag users. Many people were still on dial up internet, so it was considered good etiquette to not post a lot of pictures (and to put warnings in thread titles of image heavy threads). Also, YouTube and Twitter didn't exist, so you couldn't embed stuff like that into your posts to easily share news or whatever. You'd usually have to link to an article on another site. And sometimes people would troll by posting misleading text for the links. If you didn't inspect a link before clicking it, you might end up opening something like 3girls1cup instead of that totally legit story about Miyamoto suddenly dying. Lol

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was on E-mpire Forums in the mid 2000s.. it had all the platforms, and it was pretty civil. I wonder what happened with the community, because the site hasn't been up for a while now.

Then PS3forums, which was informative and nice.... then I came across the craziness when visiting Gamespot System Wars (the name duh!) and Gametrailers forum (although they had a great image upload community)

Early on Gaf didn't seem that bad when it came to consoles fighting, from what I remember. Might have been the mod crew.. but either way that obviously changed.
I did spend quite a bit of time on the offical Playstation forums (especially in the run-up to HOME) splitting time there and on gaf I feel like I got to gaf around 2004 ish. Memory gets hazy. Was largely the same community from GA to Neo so it kinda blurs. I agree tho it was pretty well moderated there for quite a while, obviously hive mindish but kept toxicity at bay for the most part. Could be rose colors tho, certainly didn't end that way.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It was definitely a different time and I'm glad behavior tolerated back then is now frowned upon here.

Anyone remember the derogatory nickname people made for the Xbox 360 Core Pack at the old place? Yikes.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
Oh lord, do I miss those spaces! I think I was actually a moderator on the As the Apple Turns back in 2001~2003, until the forum suffered a HUGE internal flamewar over the administrator's political views (lol)

Strangely enough, a guy from my university was also (in high shcool) a poster on the Metroid section of the IGN boards, we discovered we'd both been on it years and years later, and are still very good friends (but have never discussed that board in person since, lolll)

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I still have an Off Topic forum account. I used to frequent a site called 3DFiles which became MajorGeeks, mainly a software/gaming forum.

Apr 21, 2018
I started off on the IGN Boards around the time the GameCube was announced. I remember there being lots of boxart competitions (make a boxart for your dream-wish game). It's where I learned how to use photoshop. I even won a contest once and some nice poster sent me Viewtiful Joe. Fond memories.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I always forget I frequented Gaia for a while. I just checked on the forums and they are surprisingly active and not the complete cesspit I would have expected.
I mostly loved Gaia for the avatar customization. I would gold farm in random threads. I loved the marketplace. I'm sure I still have my g-blade and some other rare items. I remember when they made an mmo lite game. It was a fun time. I think I stopped posting after HS. I wonder if I can even still login...

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You didn't do forums right in the early 00's if you didn't have obnoxiously large signatures

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember them with animated avatars and signatures. Gamefaqs, Gamespot, and IGN forums. A lot of the signatures were bigger than the post lol. Memes weren't a thing yet and everyone would flame each other in the console wars. Good times.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Mega64's Flame War Theater is full of gems from this era (though this playlist is in reverse order sadly)

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
i was all about forums dedicated to Neopets and RuneScape.

I really miss the people I "knew" from those places, the only way to really connect was AIM, ICQ or IRC. MSN messenger shortly after. Yahoo messenger was cool as well. I'm sure a lot of them are insane or moved on with their lives but it would be badass to have a way to link up after so many years and just see how we all turned out.

I remember being like 10 years old and asking if Canada was a communist country because I didn't get the humor of South Park.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
there were forums where everyone was basically an adult, and there were forums where everyone acted like a kid no matter how old they were, lol

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I take a day off from this place and I come back to this.

I'm proud of you all.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
As crazy as the ups and downs of forum culture was over the years, I've always stuck with them because I still believe they are the best place for discussion and to follow news/events. The threaded replies and terrible web design of content aggregators like reddit is much worse than a simple forum with paged discussions.

I also vastly prefer singular forums being built around a community, rather than one mega site that has a billion users all transient between a ton of different areas.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
How active is that community these days? I've never been a member but word of their hijinks would get out now and then. Seems like I haven't heard much of anything since the eve online stuff went down.
I still follow maso on YouTube though.

SA is still pretty active and no longer run by Lowtax as of last year.

dc3k

Feb 10, 2018
not america
How active is that community these days? I've never been a member but word of their hijinks would get out now and then. Seems like I haven't heard much of anything since the eve online stuff went down.
I still follow maso on YouTube though.
A shadow of its former self. I subscribe to a few very long running threads and mostly just read those.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh the good ol days where we all could all agree that Jack Thompson was the villain.

Whatever happened to that guy anyway?

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
12yr old lurker on ffgurus.net in 2001, a forum filled with what seemed to be mostly 20-something Europeans. Despite being a final fantasy forum, made me fall in love with the Suikoden series. Hell, Exit Fate is just characters based off the users in that forum if I remember correctly lol

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I take a day off from this place and I come back to this.

I'm proud of you all.

I am surprised you haven't bump up the signature thread. The "Bring Back Forum Signatures" movement seems to be gaining more and more adepts :P

Ahhh the good ol days where we all could all agree that Jack Thompson was the villain.

Whatever happened to that guy anyway?

All I remember he was disbarred and then never heard of him again.