• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
www.ign.com

Fortnite Next-Gen Upgrade Will Arrive When Consoles Launch - IGN

Epic Games has detailed the upgrades coming to Fornite for next-gen consoles.

Loading performance has been upgraded across all next-gen consoles thanks to their SSDs, both in terms of texture load times and the speed at which players can get into a match.

For PS5, Fortnite supports the DualSense controller's haptic feedback features, with vibration and trigger feedback. There's also support for the PS5's home screen Activities, which allows you to go straight to the Battle Royale lobby of your choice - Solo, Duos, or Squads - instead of going via the game's main menu.

The Xbox Series S version of the game supports "most" of the visual enhancements available in the Series X version, but runs at 1080p / 60 FPS rather than 4K.

I made a thread on activies a few weeks ago, and as I said, if it's just used for that, that's already amazing.

www.resetera.com

If PS5s activities just turn out to be jumping points to different modes, that‘d be great already

I don‘t expect the full potential to be used from the majority of games, wether if it‘s because resources or the games nature. But... having the option to jump straight into a mode, let‘s take CoD as an example, jump to: - singleplayer - warzone - zombies - various mp modes, sorted by last...

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
There's also support for the PS5's home screen Activities, which allows you to go straight to the Battle Royale lobby of your choice - Solo, Duos, or Squads - instead of going via the game's main menu.
Oh wow love this feature already in addition to the faster loading speeds damn

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I might actually play a bit of Fortnite for the first time in years unless Warzone get their patch out on time too.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.ign.com

• 4K / 60fps on PS5 and Series X
  • Dynamic visuals and physics; grass and trees will respond to explosions, while liquids and smoke have more realistic simulation effects. Clouds and the Storm have also been enhanced.
  • 60fps for split screen on PS5 and Series X
  • Loading performance has been upgraded across all next-gen consoles
  • DualSense support on PS5, haptic feedback features, with vibration and trigger feedback
  • PS5 Activities support, which allows you to go straight to the Battle Royale lobby of your choice - Solo, Duos, or Squads - instead of going via the game's main menu
  • Series S version of the game supports "most" of the visual enhancements available in the Series X version, but runs at 1080p / 60 FPS

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, this is great. Excited to hear about the DualSense features as well as the activities card support too

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great support for PS5. DualSense and Activities. Good job, Epic!

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Oh this is a game i would have expected a 120fps mode on next gen consoles

Even the iPad Pro has 120fps mode, strange it's not mentioned im certain it will have it?

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I've been playing Fortnite this season thanks to the Marvel event. Before I hadn't played since season 2 or 3 of Chapter 1. I've been enjoying unlocking all the Marvel related gear and characters. I'm sure I will pop into the PS5 version to see the difference from PC and to experience dual sense.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite at 1080p and Yakuza at 900p if you want 60 fps. I'm guessing only games like Ori might hit 1440p/60.
Well Fornite runs at 60fps on every console already. Presumably they must have added a lot of new visual effects because the One X version already runs at nearly 4K.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda surprised there isn't a 4K/120 option here. It's not exactly a demanding game. You can even run it at 120fps on an iPad Pro.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the paragraph about the actual visuals changes.

PS5 and Xbox Series X players can expect 4K resolution, 60 FPS gameplay, and dynamic visuals and physics; grass and trees will respond to explosions, while liquids and smoke have more realistic simulation effects. Clouds and the Storm have also been enhanced. Split screen modes also support 60 FPS on these consoles.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if including haptics in the dual sense will actually encourage third party developers to take advantage of the rumble triggers in the Xbox.

I had actually forgot they existed but I was playing Blair Witch last night and sure enough they were going off every time someone radioed me and I was reminded that they do exist.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol if Fortnite is supporting the DualSense features, that can only be a good sign.

Etoh

Oct 25, 2017
San Juan, Puerto Rico
www.ign.com

• 4K / 60fps on PS5 and Series X
  • Dynamic visuals and physics; grass and trees will respond to explosions, while liquids and smoke have more realistic simulation effects. Clouds and the Storm have also been enhanced.
  • 60fps for split screen on PS5 and Series X
  • Loading performance has been upgraded across all next-gen consoles
  • DualSense support on PS5, haptic feedback features, with vibration and trigger feedback
  • PS5 Activities support, which allows you to go straight to the Battle Royale lobby of your choice - Solo, Duos, or Squads - instead of going via the game's main menu
  • Series S version of the game supports "most" of the visual enhancements available in the Series X version, but runs at 1080p / 60 FPS

I don't care at all 'bout Fortnite, but this can only be good news for everyone when it comes to reaching widespread support of PS5's exclusive feature set.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't play Fortnite (at least not anymore), but this seems like a solid update. Hope we get DualSense and Activity Card support for Warzone and Apex Legends.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I have no interest in Fortnite, but if it becomes standard for games to use activity cards to jump straight to favourite modes then – combined with fast loading – I can imagine playing a lot more multiplayer games next generation.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Doesn't Fortnite run at 1440p/60 on ps4 pro?
1080p/60 on Series S doesn't sound impressive..

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh this is a game i would have expected a 120fps mode on next gen consoles

Even the iPad Pro has 120fps mode, strange it's not mentioned im certain it will have it?
Priorities. There are a moderate amount of 120hz iPads out there, 120hz Tv's? Still pretty rare, I would imagine it will get added further down the road. No technical reason why either the PS5 os Series X won't hit 120hz on fortnite.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Can't wait. Fortnite can be a pretty game at times and looking forward to having the improvements in hand. Being able to jump into a solo match from the home screen is a really neat addition to, as the OP said.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Having big games like this utilize the OS' big new features is a great starting point for other devs to hop on board

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Man this is exactly how I had hoped activities could be utilized. I don't play Fortnite but hope future BF and COD titles support something similar.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Strongly dislike Fortnite, but very very much into the BR genre as a whole. It would be much better to hear that it has a performance mode instead of a 60fps mode. Give me higher frame rates, and an option to disable those controller functions, honestly.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
60fps target for Fortnite on console was added post-launch, originally as an optional mid-gen refresh feature iirc. Hopefully a 120fps option will come to next-gen post-launch.

Can't wait to see what the transition to UE5 will bring to Fortnite down the line during next-gen.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Activities are potentially my favourite feature from the UI reveal. Being able to skip around and boot straight into MP modes while playing another game will make things much easier, especially if you get an invite allowing you to jump straight into a lobby from the menus.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I know people will continue to downplay this by saying "it was always a 1080p machine", but the idea that the whole idea behind designing the Series S was to show that you could make the cuts and "target" 1440p at the same visual settings for games that run at 4K on Series X, but that we're already seeing games that make resolution AND visual cutbacks at the very launch of the platform is... something that continues to concerns me regarding its longevity.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
although i only dabble on battle royales, those activities system on PS5 is gonna be time saver. warzone and apex integrating activities would be a sweet bonus too

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
There's also support for the PS5's home screen Activities, which allows you to go straight to the Battle Royale lobby of your choice - Solo, Duos, or Squads - instead of going via the game's main menu.

This is such a game changer for online gaming, just perfect!

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah that's how I'd like to see MP games implement Activities. Fighting games letting me go straight to online lobbies, arcade, training mode and similar will be great, so I hope they do that.